DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What would make Best Buy a "destination" for video games? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/573104-what-would-make-best-buy-destination-video-games.html)

superdeluxe 05-04-10 01:14 PM

Re: What would make Best Buy a "destination" for video games?

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 10132938)
I know some of you hate Best Buy, but lets keep the company bashing to a minimum (unless it's specifically about the video gaming area).

Most of you know that I work at Best Buy - recently I was elected to Best Buy's Entertainment Retail Council & one of our focus areas is improving the video game area. This means I have a hand in legitimately changing things. I flew out to Minnesota this week and spent some time on it. Obviously we have some things coming to the stores that I cannot talk about yet, but we're also looking for feedback from gamers - so of course, I'll lean on DVDTalk.

So here are some questions, and you don't have to answer them all...but the main thing is that I want to have a hand in making Best Buy a better place to shop for video games.

1. Do you like/know about the Gamers Reward Zone program?
2. What could we do to make our pre-order process better?
3. If Best Buy had an in-store 'trade in' program (like Gamestop), would you be more likely to shop there?
4. If Best Buy had an in-store 'trade in' program, what would you like to see from it?

Any other feedback you give me on the video game area would be taken back to my meeting with corporate in June - actually, I'll probably just link them to this thread.

It is going to be hard...Best Buy does get some buys from me, but it is mostly impulse buy. If there is something ahead of time that I want I go with Amazon, why? Like everyone has said..pre-order bonuses, the lowest price and not having to deal with B&M/Parking/gas etc.

Like everyone has said..the only way for Best Buy to beat that is to offer exclusives/good prices and things like that.

zekeburger1979 05-04-10 09:26 PM

I pre-ordered Super Mario Galaxy 2 from Amazon because of the $20 credit. If Best Buy was start a similar program, I would pre-order all of my games from there.

squidget 05-05-10 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 (Post 10140732)
I pre-ordered Super Mario Galaxy 2 from Amazon because of the $20 credit. If Best Buy was start a similar program, I would pre-order all of my games from there.

For me the program cannot match but must be better. Why? Because of tax. $20 credit at Amazon is worth more because of the tax thing (which is 8.25% here in TX)

I think BB would have to go something similar to what TRU does in order to get me in the store. Buy new release X get another title 40-50% off, buy 2 and get a $60 GC, etc.

dx23 08-20-10 11:46 AM

Tarantino, something I would like to add is that if Best Buy issues a coupon on their Gamerz Rewards page, then they need to honor it. I went today to Best Buy because they issued a Rewards Members only coupon where you can buy Tekken 6 for X-box 360 and take $30 off the price. Originally, the price for the game was $39.99, but it had a price drop this week to $29.99. The coupon simply didn't scan and the manager refused to give the game for the $9.99 that it states in the coupon that it will be the final price. I wasn't asking the game to be free, I was going to pay $9.99 for it, but because the coupon didn't scan, the manager didn't change the price manually and would not honor the coupon.

Deftones 08-20-10 12:30 PM

yeah, that's totally bullshit. if the coupon is coming from the company, they should honor it or pull it. simple as that.

aktick 08-20-10 04:22 PM

Since I have such a backlog as it is, I buy very few games when they come out...but when I do, Amazon is pretty much the only place worth buying from now with all of their credits. I haven't gone this long (last Xmas, I think) without stepping into a BB for anything in over a decade probably.

sniper308 08-20-10 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by aktick (Post 10331724)
Since I have such a backlog as it is, I buy very few games when they come out...but when I do, Amazon is pretty much the only place worth buying from now with all of their credits. I haven't gone this long (last Xmas, I think) without stepping into a BB for anything in over a decade probably.

Agreed, I haven't been into a Best Buy in quite a while myself, and I've pretty much stopped even paying attention to the Reward Zone coupons due to issues and better deals at Amazon.

Obi-Wanma 08-20-10 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 10331248)
Tarantino, something I would like to add is that if Best Buy issues a coupon on their Gamerz Rewards page, then they need to honor it. I went today to Best Buy because they issued a Rewards Members only coupon where you can buy Tekken 6 for X-box 360 and take $30 off the price. Originally, the price for the game was $39.99, but it had a price drop this week to $29.99. The coupon simply didn't scan and the manager refused to give the game for the $9.99 that it states in the coupon that it will be the final price. I wasn't asking the game to be free, I was going to pay $9.99 for it, but because the coupon didn't scan, the manager didn't change the price manually and would not honor the coupon.

That was something that was brought up earlier in the thread. Too often, they put out these coupons, and then they put the game on sale during the time that the coupon is valid, and then because of the sale, they don't honor the coupon, even off of the original price. It's like one end's not talking to the other when they come up with these promotions. This time it is particularly annoying, since the coupon is only good for like 4 or 5 days. Presumably the sale ends Sunday, so I would be that the coupon works on Sunday, and that will be the only day that it works, unless they put something in to fix it before then.

dx23 08-21-10 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 10332031)
That was something that was brought up earlier in the thread. Too often, they put out these coupons, and then they put the game on sale during the time that the coupon is valid, and then because of the sale, they don't honor the coupon, even off of the original price. It's like one end's not talking to the other when they come up with these promotions. This time it is particularly annoying, since the coupon is only good for like 4 or 5 days. Presumably the sale ends Sunday, so I would be that the coupon works on Sunday, and that will be the only day that it works, unless they put something in to fix it before then.

The big problem for the Tekken 6 coupon is that the game is not on sale, it just had a regular price drop. Technically, they need to give the customer the game for free, but I would have settled for the original $9.99 price.

Trevor 08-21-10 07:52 AM

^ Yep, seems like almost everytime they have one of those RZ Gamer coupons it doesn't work because they put the game on sale at the same time. Really makes BB seem like idiots at best, or deceptive.

foxdvd 01-04-15 10:00 AM

so this year I have moved 90% of my game purchases to Best Buy. My online profile says I spent 1600 bucks on games this year at best buy. The changes to the gamers club have been amazing. I wonder if these changes have helped Best Buy overall?

Deftones 01-04-15 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 12351850)
so this year I have moved 90% of my game purchases to Best Buy. My online profile says I spent 1600 bucks on games this year at best buy. The changes to the gamers club have been amazing. I wonder if these changes have helped Best Buy overall?

they've made a ton of changes, many for the bad, but their sales and profits are up. i also am a GCU member. as long as they keep providing decent pre-order bonuses along with the 20% off games, i will continue to buy there over amazon.

slop101 01-04-15 12:34 PM

I've slowed way down buying games through amazon, mostly because the discounts they used to have on pre-ordering are now gone, not the mention of bonus of not having to pay sales tax is gone as well. Best Buy is still shit when it comes to carrying (non-huge) game releases out on their actual release date. Fry's doesn't have the discounts they used to have either, but they still have a decent selection and have the games on hand on their release date.

Michael Corvin 01-04-15 02:38 PM

They need to beef up their $10 preorder list with stuff like No Man's Sky and the Order.

edstein 01-04-15 02:52 PM

Not many places I know, including Amazon, can beat the 20% GCU deal. Steam is the only thing coming close. But most of those deals are for games that came out years ago. So until Amazon does price matching to GCU, I'll keep buying my games from BB.

MoviePage 01-04-15 02:53 PM

The fact that the only titles remaining on the $10 preorder bonus list are ones that were originally announced for 2014 release makes me worry that those bonuses may be coming to an end.

Matthew Chmiel 01-04-15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 12352073)
The fact that the only titles remaining on the $10 preorder bonus list are ones that were originally announced for 2014 release makes me worry that those bonuses may be coming to an end.

To be fair, most games that will come out during Q3/Q4 2015 have not been officially announced yet and won't be until the time of E3.

sven 01-04-15 06:44 PM

A closer store would help. Closest Best Buy to me is a 40 minute drive away. Closest Walmart is only 10 minutes away and Gamestop is 15.

Plus the Walmart is open 24 hours.

fumanstan 01-04-15 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 12352070)
Not many places I know, including Amazon, can beat the 20% GCU deal. Steam is the only thing coming close. But most of those deals are for games that came out years ago. So until Amazon does price matching to GCU, I'll keep buying my games from BB.

Steam may not be close on new releases, but there are other 3rd party sites that are. I know i'm regularly getting 20-25% off from Green Man Gaming on new releases.

msdmoney 01-05-15 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12351966)
I've slowed way down buying games through amazon, mostly because the discounts they used to have on pre-ordering are now gone, not the mention of bonus of not having to pay sales tax is gone as well. Best Buy is still shit when it comes to carrying (non-huge) game releases out on their actual release date. Fry's doesn't have the discounts they used to have either, but they still have a decent selection and have the games on hand on their release date.

Same here, amazon just doesn't seem to be trying as hard as they used to. I still use them for a lot of misc. stuff, but I used to buy a ton of media from them, retail and downloadable games, and mp3's. They used to have daily deals in gaming, and a rep for pc downloadable games that really pushed for deals. It seems like they try to build up a new part of their store with deep discounts, then maybe they get enough users that and just stop the deals altogether. The same happened with the mp3 store. I used to impulse buy a ton of discounted albums. It seems like they are transitioning everything to prime music, tv shows, etc. now.

Best Buy on the other hand has really turned things around. I've been buying a majority of my physical games from them. For years they were pushing the rewards zone card and loyalty without actual deals, now they frequently have deals with the GCU on top of that. When I first saw the $120 price for GCU I laughed, but given that it is frequently $30 for 2 years, and they frequently have good sale prices, it is well worth it.

fujishig 01-05-15 09:17 AM

I wonder how well the GCU is doing for them, though. It's obviously not popular enough for the majority of employees to even know how it works, let alone how to sign someone up. And either there's a bigger margin than I thought on new games, or it cuts into their profits, especially for hardcore gamers who buy a lot of games. I hope it's doing well for them, but Kmart had a guy running a program there for a while on gaming discounts, and they dropped it at the drop of a hat (I think the guy runs the TRU program now), and the Kmart program at least tied into buying more and more games from there.

I mean, because they so often don't have stock or can't find it, I usually go through the pain of in-store pickup just to make sure my stuff is there (and that's not foolproof either) which takes away from any impulse buys, which is typically how loss leaders make money for companies.

It's certainly not gaining customers with customer service or anything. Once the discounts are gone, most of the people buying from there will go elsewhere.