DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Is there a list of all the games that are DRM? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/572490-there-list-all-games-drm.html)

kar10 04-17-10 06:48 AM

Is there a list of all the games that are DRM?

I don't like this DRM at all and I want to stay far from it.

Tarantino 04-17-10 08:19 AM

Re: Is there a list of all the games that are DRM?

http://www.loungelightmedia.com/imag...TL-Trinity.jpg

Drexl 04-17-10 02:29 PM

Which games? I think any game you can get for a console has some kind of protection.

For PC games, Good Old Games (gog.com) has DRM-free games. Note that even Steam is a form of DRM.

kar10 04-18-10 06:42 AM

Xbox 360 and PS3

edstein 04-18-10 01:28 PM

You should know better than to ask that kind of question here. IBTL.

Deftones 04-18-10 01:48 PM

i don't think the question is necessarily bad, since he's not necessarily asking how to bypass any DRM. some of you may read into as that, but it is a relatively harmless question. maybe he doesn't believe in DRM and doesn't want to support companies that implement it. i know many people felt that way about Ubisoft w/ their implementation of it on recent PC games.

Groucho 04-18-10 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by kar10 (Post 10111492)
Xbox 360 and PS3

Define what you mean by "DRM" in 360 and PS3 games, with examples?

Deftones 04-18-10 03:05 PM

maybe he means the new trend like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and others that require you to connect to the servers of the game company?

edstein 04-18-10 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10111977)
maybe he means the new trend like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and others that require you to connect to the servers of the game company?

Good point.

Drexl 04-18-10 06:23 PM

Like the Final Fight/Magic Sword game?

Groucho 04-18-10 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10111977)

Can those games be resold?

Chris_D 04-18-10 06:50 PM

The console versions can definitely be sold, but minus the codes for the bonus DLC. The bonus DLC will cost you $15.

As mentioned above, Final Fight seems to require you to be logged on to PSN while playing. Two PC games in the news recently for their crippling DRM are Assassin's Creed 2 and Command and Conquer 4. So be wary of those, especially if your internet connection is not reliable.

I have no idea what the problem is with this question either.

kar10 04-18-10 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10111918)
Define what you mean by "DRM" in 360 and PS3 games, with examples?

I'm sure many of you know of ubisoft implementing DRM so that players have to be online to play their games. I don't play online and I don't want to be forced to be online to play a game so I want to have a list of games that have this feature.

Groucho 04-18-10 08:22 PM

I have not played any console games that require you to be online to play the game. Sounds like Final Fight/Magic Sword is the exception, and that's a downloadable.

Still, assuming your console is already connected to the Internet for other reasons, this should be a non-concern.

RichC2 04-18-10 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by kar10 (Post 10112426)
You seem confused.... :)

with examples?

anyway....

I'm sure many of you know of ubisoft implementing DRM so that players have to be online to play their games. I don't play online and I don't want to be forced to be online to play a game so I want to have a list of games that have this feature.

This kind of DRM does not effect console games (PS3/X360), only PC games -- with very few exceptions (Final Fight, which seems more like stupid programming than DRM).

maxfisher 04-18-10 10:09 PM

My dsl is horribly unreliable and it's not unusual at all for me to lose my connection for 30 seconds or so. There's no way I would knowingly buy a game the pulls the crap Ubisoft has implemented with some of their PC games. Fortunately, I think enough consoles are used for offline gaming that no publisher would try this for now.