Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Larry C Red Dead Redemption thread!!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Larry C Red Dead Redemption thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Official Larry C Red Dead Redemption thread!!!

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Man, time flies while playing this game. It says I've been playing for nearly 48 hours! It's easy to get lost in how amazing the design is. Unlike GTA, it's a lot more peaceful a gameplay experience. Yeah, I know that sounds odd seeing how much shooting you do but there is no cell phone going off, no traffic noise and no radios. Just a subtle score and nature.

Cougars: Where are they? I haven't found a single one yet.
Bears: No bears either. Where do I find these things?

Found my first glitch last night. I went to do a mission and the cutscene skipped leaving wondering what happened. I restarted the game and this time, when I walked to the checkpoint, the ground was missing. It was just a sea of brown nothingness though I did get to see the cutscene this time and everything returned to normal afterward.
Cougars show up everywhere and apparently they really hate cowboys and mexicans for the bears go up to the Northeast.
Old 06-04-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I rather like Bonnie as a character too. But yeah, everyone in Mexico are dicks. I was really excited to get there and then just wanted to kill everyone I had to work for.
End-game spoilers:

Spoiler:
I really thought it was touching when Abigail accompanies you to McFarlane Ranch to deliver the corn and, after you leave, Bonnie stays in the street kicking the dirt around her feet. And that's the last she ever saw of John Marston
Old 06-04-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Cougars show up everywhere and apparently they really hate cowboys and mexicans for the bears go up to the Northeast.
Really. I must have cougar repelant. I've played for 48 hours and haven't seen one. Do I have to go far off the main path?

I have been attacked by wolf packs a bunch.
Old 06-04-10, 10:56 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Look around Rio Bravo by Fort Mercer, Plainview, and Repentance Rock
Old 06-04-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I found a whole lot on the Southern end of Beecher's Hope. That's where I got my melee knife kills.
Old 06-04-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Thanks, folks. I will go out and do some hunting before I leave Mexico.
Old 06-04-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Not sure if he respawns or not because I never tried shooting him, but did he fall over dead?

I don't want to say anything else about it to avoid spoilers, but...that's funny for reasons anyone who has completed that quest will know.

It seemed there was no reaction at first but he screamed as the last bullet hit him and fell face down in the grass. Like I said, I hope he respawns because my reaction was just spur of the moment impatience. I failed the quest with the guy with the broken leg (the "meat" lover) and within 2 or 3 ingame days he respawned.
Old 06-04-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I was kind of bummed at getting shot at and losing "honor" for accidentally getting onto a strangers horse. Most of the gd horses look alike anyways!
Old 06-04-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm trying to clean up all side tasks before moving on with the story missions. I'm in the north now but haven't done any actual story missions there, and I'm around 78% finished with the game. All challenges finished as of last night, 15/18 stranger missions complete (just haven't found the others yet), all gang hideouts cleared, every animal species murdered at least once, and just a few more bounties to do.

I'm mainly doing it that way because I never really saw a straight answer as to whether you can continue playing after the story is complete. I gathered that the answer was "yes" with some qualifiers, and I've also gathered just from reading hints that
Spoiler:
Marston dies
but since that's more detail than I wanted to know to begin with I decided not to take my chances.

Also, I've read that you get one of the uniforms by
Spoiler:
clearing all 5 U.S. gang hideouts within 24 in-game hours.
Is that something that I need to wait to do until I'm given the task somewhere in the game, or is it just a secret task that I can do anytime and get the uniform?
Old 06-04-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
I was kind of bummed at getting shot at and losing "honor" for accidentally getting onto a strangers horse. Most of the gd horses look alike anyways!
One thing I've learned while playing this game is that honor is really easy to lose and regain, so no worries. I got the 100% fame and 100% honor achievement before I ever left Mexico for the north.
Old 06-04-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Is that something that I need to wait to do until I'm given the task somewhere in the game, or is it just a secret task that I can do anytime and get the uniform?
I think this can only be done after the game is over.
Old 06-04-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Spoiler:
Wait until the outfit is unlocked or it will be a wasted effort. It will unlock near the end of the game.
Old 06-04-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PlayStation 3 players, some of us from the forum have started a league: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...ation-3-a.html

We meet every Wednesday at 9PM Eastern. Right now the current plan is to go through all the gang hideouts first in private free roam, and then top the night off with some private casual games like capture the bag, shootout, gang shootout, etc. If you want to join in be sure to check the thread out.
Old 06-04-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, 44 hours later and I finished the game. Easily my pick for game of the year (last 2 years actually). I'm at 98.5% complete and have no idea what else needs to be done. Everything I can think of has been completed.
Old 06-04-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dino88
Well, 44 hours later and I finished the game. Easily my pick for game of the year (last 2 years actually). I'm at 98.5% complete and have no idea what else needs to be done. Everything I can think of has been completed.
Then you're not complete yet.

There's a new outfit to unlock as mentioned recently in this thread. There's a new piece of an outfit to complete. There's a new stranger quest too.
Old 06-04-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Then you're not complete yet.

There's a new outfit to unlock as mentioned recently in this thread. There's a new piece of an outfit to complete. There's a new stranger quest too.
I've completed all the obvious tasks. The only outfit I don't have is the one you get when you are 100% complete. What do you mean a new stranger quest? I'm pretty sure I finished all of them.
Old 06-04-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you just completed the game then you haven't finished one of the outfits as you could only buy a piece of it from the Blackwater Tailor after the game was complete. If you haven't been there, then it's very likely you haven't noticed the new stranger in Blackwater either.
Old 06-04-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you just completed the game then you haven't finished one of the outfits as you could only buy a piece of it from the Blackwater Tailor after the game was complete. If you haven't been there, then it's very likely you haven't noticed the new stranger in Blackwater either.
I'm 100% positive I've gotten all outfits other than the one you get for 100% completion. And I bought that last piece in Blackwater before the game ended.
Spoiler:
I think you may be confused about when the game has been completed. The game does not end when John dies, but when Jack finishes his mission.
Since I've finished the game, I've obviously done that last mission.
Old 06-04-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exactly the frustrating kind of minor thing that keeps this from being one of my favorite games. I've visited that tailor about 6 or 7 times now, wondering when the outfit piece would be available. There are many simple ways that this kind of thing could have been implemented better IMO.
Old 06-04-10, 02:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/100%25_Completion
Old 06-04-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aha, Thanks MrX! It has to be the bounty one, as everything else has been completed fo sho. I never did any in West Elizabeth, so I'll start there. I've done a lot elsewhere, but I'm not sure which places I missed.
Old 06-04-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm 100% positive I've gotten all outfits other than the one you get for 100% completion. And I bought that last piece in Blackwater before the game ended.
Spoiler:
I think you may be confused about when the game has been completed. The game does not end when John dies, but when Jack finishes his mission.
Since I've finished the game, I've obviously done that last mission.
Hahah! Ok, I'm "confused" because I was at 98.5% EXACTLY when I got to the point I am talking about

Maybe you should be more specific about what you haven't done. Have you checked: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/...checklist.html ? Knowing what goes into calculating 100% will help you figure out what you're missing.

You're probably missing bounties or rare weapons or some previous stranger's quest (do you have 19 in your STATS?) or some of the challenges of the journal.
Old 06-04-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aha, Thanks MrX! It has to be the bounty one, as everything else has been completed fo sho. I never did any in West Elizabeth, so I'll start there. I've done a lot elsewhere, but I'm not sure which places I missed.
Yeah, there are 8 bounties in New Austin, 8 in Mexico, 4 in the North. Also note that bounties (as far as completion stats are concerned) are based on location, not the name on the poster. I'd imagine that by the time you see the "?" no-name bounties, you've finished that location already, but I've read that this isn't always the case for some people.
Old 06-04-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you checked: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/...checklist.html ? Knowing what goes into calculating 100% will help you figure out what you're missing.
Speaking of that list, does anyone know how/when it updates exactly? It's definitely not always in sync with my in-game stats. And yes, I'm always connected to Live when playing.
Old 06-04-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe you should be more specific about what you haven't done. Have you checked: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/...checklist.html ? Knowing what goes into calculating 100% will help you figure out what you're missing.

You're probably missing bounties or rare weapons or some previous stranger's quest (do you have 19 in your STATS?) or some of the challenges of the journal.
That's a cool site, first time I've on there. Yep, it's the bounties. Says I have 10/20, so I'll have to get to that this weekend. I was given the Gentlemen's Attire as well. Time to go play some poker. Thanks

Yeah, there are 8 bounties in New Austin, 8 in Mexico, 4 in the North. Also note that bounties (as far as completion stats are concerned) are based on location, not the name on the poster. I'd imagine that by the time you see the "?" no-name bounties, you've finished that location already, but I've read that this isn't always the case for some people.
I think I've finished all in New Austin. So, 4 in WE and 6 in Mexico and I should have 100%.

Thanks guys.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.