Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Old 08-30-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

It was because of that conference call.
Old 08-30-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would an uncomfortably long hug help at all?
Old 08-30-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Would an uncomfortably long hug help at all?
worth a shot.
Old 08-30-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
This would be a disaster for Nintendo. There's hundreds of thousands of new 3DS owners that aren't going to be happy with or interested in upgrading to new hardware in just a year's (or less?) time. If the 3DS was selling poorly before the price cut, how bad would this rumored new one do? Companies do stupid shit all the time, but I just can't see Nintendo doing this so soon to the 3DS's relaunch.
Monumentally stupid. This pisses me off to no end. Not only did Nintendo release this system with almost no developer support (and here we are six months later with, arguably, two or three decent titles at best), but then they drop the price over 30% a few months later, and now they are apparently redesigning the whole thing. I feel like an idiot for having bought it so early at this point, and I don't like feeling that way.

Short of Nintendo offering this 'second analogue' attachement free of charge or giving us early adopters a discount on the new system, I am vowing now to never buy another Nintendo product again. I mean, offering a bunch of 10-20 year old NES and GB games as consolation for the price drop was insulting to me. I bought the 3DS to play 3DS games - give me a voucher for a free 3DS game or something. At least that makes up some of the cost. A bunch of NES/GB games are worth nothing - not to me or Nintendo.

Of course, after seeing how the Wii turned out, and looking at the Wii U, it's not like I was planning on it anyway. I'm contemplating just selling the 3DS and my games. Zelda was entertaining for about an hour, before I realized it's mostly just a boring kid friendly RPG, and a very dated one at that. Pilot Wings is a fun tech demo.

I love the 3D and I think this system has so much potential, but Nintendo just seems like its run by a bunch of idiots, and at the end of the day I have to admit my ownership experience with the 3DS has been one of mounting frustration.

/rant
Old 08-31-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The NES games are available right now for ambassadors!

Go to the eShop, scroll left and pick "Settings/Other", then pick "Your Downloads". Scroll down to find the games and then "Redownload" each one. Enjoy!
Old 08-31-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Confirmed.
Old 08-31-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can also confirm this takes an annoying amount of time and redundant menu traversing...
Old 08-31-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,065 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Monumentally stupid. This pisses me off to no end. Not only did Nintendo release this system with almost no developer support (and here we are six months later with, arguably, two or three decent titles at best), but then they drop the price over 30% a few months later, and now they are apparently redesigning the whole thing. I feel like an idiot for having bought it so early at this point, and I don't like feeling that way.
You mean like the Nintendo DS which had weak developer support initially and had a redesign announced about a year after launch?
Old 08-31-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I can also confirm this takes an annoying amount of time and redundant menu traversing...
Word. But then you play Zelda and it's all worth it.
Old 08-31-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You misspelled "Metroid", but I get what you mean. Also I'd like to bitch about the crappy swap-only menu management. It has its uses, but sometimes I just want to drop what I'm moving between what's already there. When the GB games hit, I'm going to have to do it all over again.
Old 08-31-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Nintendo has really struggled with UI during the last few generations.

I'm not a huge fan of the original Metroid. Too many nondescript corridors that look like all the other nondescript corridors, and no map. Yeah, yeah, I know you're supposed to draw your own maps, but I have no urge to revisit those days of gaming. Super Metroid forever!
Old 08-31-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,642 Likes on 4,536 Posts

What was Metroid Zero on the GBA a remake of? I liked that one a lot.
Old 08-31-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Metroid. The one you have on 3DS now.
Old 09-01-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
You mean like the Nintendo DS which had weak developer support initially and had a redesign announced about a year after launch?
Yeah, and I sold that piece of shit too after buying it at launch. But hell, at least the DS had Metroid Prime, Mario and some other decent games out. If this redesign happens, all that those of us who bought the 3DS at launch will have gotten is an outdated system that cost $80 more and collected dust while Nintendo twideled their thumbs and gave us some crappy NES games.

I know there's no one to blame but myself for buying it when I did, but it's pretty shitty the way Nintendo has handled this, especially if the rumors about a new system with a second analogue stick are true. I don't mind a redesign necessarily, since I think the original is fine, but adding new functionality is ridiculous. So ridiculous there's a good chance it's not even true.
Old 09-01-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 508 Likes on 299 Posts

When it comes to Nintendo handhelds, I don't like to buy right away ever since the GBA originally came out with a screen that was completely unplayable until the SP. Now, I just wait for the inevitable revision.
Old 09-01-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Yeah, and I sold that piece of shit too after buying it at launch. But hell, at least the DS had Metroid Prime, Mario and some other decent games out. If this redesign happens, all that those of us who bought the 3DS at launch will have gotten is an outdated system that cost $80 more and collected dust while Nintendo twideled their thumbs and gave us some crappy NES games.

I know there's no one to blame but myself for buying it when I did, but it's pretty shitty the way Nintendo has handled this, especially if the rumors about a new system with a second analogue stick are true. I don't mind a redesign necessarily, since I think the original is fine, but adding new functionality is ridiculous. So ridiculous there's a good chance it's not even true.
You guys got an awesome redo of Zelda:TooT, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, some solid fighters and have a Mario game coming out in November. Plus c'mon: Professor Layton vs. ACE Attorney is an upcoming title.
Old 09-01-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I may be wrong, but most previous immediate re-designs were form-factor/battery-life related (DS to DS-Lite, GBA to whatever-the-new-GBA-was-called). Later on in the life cycle, they introduce stuff like Gameboy Color and the DSi, which has some features and games that are unusable or gimped by the older systems, but those are easy to skip. In this case, they are (supposedly) adding a new control mechanism.

I think we all expected a 3DS Lite sooner or later, but not what was rumored.
Old 09-01-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Very valid point.
Old 09-01-11, 10:45 AM

The point is that it's still just a rumor, and not one confirmed by any other sources. I'm not saying it's impossible that a redesign is coming soon, but after all the negative press and with a new color 3DS coming out next week, it seems pretty unlikely. Let's not get too worked up over this rumor until we get some information a little more substantially and concrete.
Old 09-01-11, 06:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
The NES games are available right now for ambassadors!

Go to the eShop, scroll left and pick "Settings/Other", then pick "Your Downloads". Scroll down to find the games and then "Redownload" each one. Enjoy!
Gee, that's intuitive. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 09-01-11, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Gee, that's intuitive. Thanks for letting us know.
Once you know how, it's surprisingly easy to get to the "There was a problem with your download. Please try again later" error message screen.
Old 09-01-11, 06:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, they all went through fine for me.
Old 09-01-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Totally forgot about the free games yesterday and realized it on my way to work. Downloaded them all now. Awesome.
Old 09-02-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I returned my 3DS tonight to Best Buy for a full refund.

Whoever gets it next, assuming they don't wipe the memory, well get a bargain (Let's Golf! and about $12.50 balance, plus the 20 Ambassador games).

I just didn't play it that much and my kids prefered their iPod touches by a large margin.
Old 09-03-11, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
I returned my 3DS tonight to Best Buy for a full refund.

Whoever gets it next, assuming they don't wipe the memory, well get a bargain (Let's Golf! and about $12.50 balance, plus the 20 Ambassador games).

I just didn't play it that much and my kids prefered their iPod touches by a large margin.
What Best Buy do you go to that will give you a refund on an opened system?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.