Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Old 08-20-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Originally Posted by Decker
It's $29.96 with free Super Saver shipping at Amazon right now.
Still to much. No DS game should be more than $30 retail. I'll pick up Zelda when I can get it for $20.
Old 08-23-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like we may have been had: http://www.1up.com/news/rebranded-3d...tick-coming-12

Nintendo has some major changes up its sleeve for the 3DS, according to a new report. Those include the release of a second analog stick attachment for the current system and a revamped version of the handheld, reports French website 01net.

An anonymous source that supposedly works within Nintendo delivered the news to the site, which previously had information about the Vita and Wii U prior to their respective announcements. According to a translation by NeoGAF, Nintendo feels it made a mistake in leaving out a second analog stick (or circle pad, as the case may be). As such, it is reportedly now working on a separate device that connects to the right side of the system and is sold for about $10.

That presents a number of questions like how would it connect and if the system can close with it attached. (You'd also have to worry about your finger slipping off and hitting the Power button.) It's possible this bit is outright wrong or simply being misinterpreted; the attachment could be solely for the benefit of developers working to create games for a new version of the 3DS.

The report states a new 3DS is being readied for release next year which will not push 3D as hard as the current 3DS does. It may include a new name and/or redesign, and although it's not specifically mentioned, it would presumably have that second analog stick. It's suggested that the current price drop could be a way to clear out stock in an effort to make way for the new version of 3DS. Nintendo's explanation for the price drop is to ensure there is a large enough install base for it and third parties to sell games to.

Another claim is that 3DS development kits are still extremely difficult to come by and cost a great deal of money. Wait lists for them are supposedly becoming longer and longer which, if true, wouldn't please 3DS owners who are busy waiting for new 3DS games actually worth playing.

This all seems somewhat hard to believe, and it's not as if 01net hasn't gotten things wrong in the past -- it suggested the Vita's RAM had been cut in half, something we recently learned is not true. Nintendo has, as the report points out, expressed some interest in making games that don't feature 3D support, 3D does seem to be somewhat de-emphasized as of late, and sales haven't been up to expectations thus far. But that hardly means it's about to rebrand the entire system so soon after launch, particularly when the price cut, the upcoming games (Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, namely), and the holiday shopping season could all result in a big sales boost that turns things completely around.
Old 08-23-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[Best Buy]Return and Exchange Period

You can return or exchange purchases within the timeframes below.

•14 days for computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, iPad, tablets and radar detectors
•30 days for all other products
•45 days for all products for Reward Zone Premier Silver members*

Restocking Fee
Best Buy does not charge a restocking fee on most purchases. However, except where prohibited by law, a 25% restocking fee is charged for Special Order Products.
I think I'll be returning mine in the next week - I bought it on August 3rd, so I'm still in the 30 day window. I had put a $20 game card on it, I'll lose that, but I still think it's time to bail and I wouldn't be able to get $185, after fees, from eBay ($185 being the purchase price plus tax, the amount I should get back from Best Buy).
Old 08-23-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reuters picked up the story and Nintendo said "no comment". According to Edge, 01net has been right on many things regarding the Vita and WiiU recently so there seems to be some weight behind this rumour.
Old 08-23-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,642 Likes on 4,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
I think I'll be returning mine in the next week - I bought it on August 3rd, so I'm still in the 30 day window. I had put a $20 game card on it, I'll lose that, but I still think it's time to bail and I wouldn't be able to get $185, after fees, from eBay ($185 being the purchase price plus tax, the amount I should get back from Best Buy).
Alternatively, you could pick up the replacement warranty during the 30 days after purchase and later return it if this all pans out (which I still kinda doubt).
Old 08-23-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This would be a disaster for Nintendo. There's hundreds of thousands of new 3DS owners that aren't going to be happy with or interested in upgrading to new hardware in just a year's (or less?) time. If the 3DS was selling poorly before the price cut, how bad would this rumored new one do? Companies do stupid shit all the time, but I just can't see Nintendo doing this so soon to the 3DS's relaunch.
Old 08-24-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They even have a new 3DS trade show planned around the time of Tokyo Game Show (which Nintendo doesn't usually attend). Perfect time for a new announcement .
Old 08-27-11, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Fuck Nintendo if they do this.
Old 08-27-11, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously.
Old 08-27-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awesome news - looking forward to seeing the design. Probably will grab one.
Old 08-27-11, 02:19 PM

If this shit actually goes down, I'll be swapping mine out for a new one at Costco and will feel 0% guilt about the transaction. But I still strongly doubt this happens -- at least not this soon.
Old 08-27-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If this shit actually goes down, I'll be swapping mine out for a new one at Costco and will feel 0% guilt about the transaction. But I still strongly doubt this happens -- at least not this soon.
But you'll be losing your ambassador titles. Arguably the stuff that made the original $170 investment even palpable.
Old 08-27-11, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
But you'll be losing your ambassador titles. Arguably the stuff that made the original $170 investment even palpable.
Assuming you can do a system to system transfer, I wouldn't. I'd just need to buy the new one before returning the older model. But I hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 08-27-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good thing I held off purchasing this. Hopefully the re-design will have bigger screens too....that coupled with the added analog stick will definitely make this worth the purchase.
Old 08-28-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Assuming you can do a system to system transfer, I wouldn't. I'd just need to buy the new one before returning the older model. But I hope it doesn't come to that.
I thought we've already learned that those free titles are restricted to the serial numbers of the pre-august-12th-connected systems? Did I miss that once you have them, it's just a matter of transferring content?
Old 08-28-11, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Fuck Nintendo if they do this.
This is what I've been saying all along.
Old 08-28-11, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shouldn't we be getting the complete list of ambassador games soon? The first wave hits in just a few days and we still don't even know half the games we'll be getting.

I thought we've already learned that those free titles are restricted to the serial numbers of the pre-august-12th-connected systems? Did I miss that once you have them, it's just a matter of transferring content?
Everything I've read says they're tied to the 3DS. Can you even transfer stuff off of them?
Old 08-28-11, 08:58 AM

You must have your pre-August 12th system in order to download the games. That much we know, so figure on hanging onto it through this year to get the GBA games. Beyond that we don't know, but it stands to reason that since the 3DS already has the capability to do a one way 3DS-to-3DS transfer, that once a new model came out and your previous model had those games downloaded, I see no reason you couldn't transfer all your owned downloaded software one-way onto a new unit. Yes, that's conjecture at this point, but it makes sense.
Old 08-28-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I had read that the 3DS>3DS transfer wasn't available yet.
Old 08-28-11, 03:00 PM

Well, I never tried it, but when I did my DSi to 3DS transfer, a 3DS to 3DS transfer option was also offered.
Old 08-30-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So in Japan the Ambassador program has Zelda II and Metroid... that would be sweet.

From 1up.com
"In addition to the five we already knew about (Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, and The Legend of Zelda), the final five in Japan consist of Metroid, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Mario Open Golf (similar, but not identical, to NES Open Tournament Golf), Yoshi's Egg (better known simply as Yoshi in North America), and Wrecking Crew. "
Old 08-30-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are the other five NES games that "Ambassadors" get later this week:

Metroid, Open Tournament Golf, Wrecking Crew, Yoshi & Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Source: NintendoAmerica's Twitter account
Old 08-30-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the same for the U.S., L&O. Wrecking Crew is kind of underappreciated IMO. Not amazing, but fun.
Old 08-30-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well screw you. I was busy reading that article and copying it over here so I didn't see the US info.
Old 08-30-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Feeling hostile today, sir? Deep, calming breaths!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.