Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Old 07-28-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How can one be anti-Nintendo?
It means they hate happiness...
Old 07-28-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm anti-drugs, but I buy my kids some all the time. What?
Old 07-28-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How can one be anti-Nintendo?
It's easy, I have 3 kids, and each has had every version of the DS (with the exception of the 3DS so far):

DS
DSLite
DSXL
DSi
3DS

They all play the same damn game, which of course are re-hashes of the same games that made Nintendo big in the first place, like Mario Kart, Super Mario (1, 2, 3, etc...). And of course, you can play the same games on the Wii, Cube, VA, etc...

Nintendo is a whore, and I suck even more for giving in and buying my kids these systems that they beg for because they are "new"...bullshit!
Old 07-28-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
For how long after you purchase will best buy price match?
30 days.
Old 07-28-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just realized that I wanted to check out an in-store demo unit before release day and forgot all about it. I'll have to try to remember now...the new price is tempting.
Old 07-28-11, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the battery life of the Nintedo DSi?

I was looking at the review for the 3DS at IGN.com, they are saying a battery life of "as little as" 2.5 hours when the 3D is turned on, and up to 5 hours when turned off.

Also, can the 3DS play the normal DS games?
Old 07-29-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah it plays regular DS games.

I bought one tonight, ended up giving three other Best Buy employees the idea to buy now and price match on the 12th.

I connected to the store and linked it to my club nintendo account, so I guess I'm now an official 3DS ambassador.
Old 07-29-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sears will price match a competitors ad for up to 14 days after purchase, plus 10% of the difference. Think that it would work and when do you think it would first show up in ads? The 12th is on a Friday.
Old 07-29-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
It's easy, I have 3 kids, and each has had every version of the DS (with the exception of the 3DS so far):

DS
DSLite
DSXL
DSi
3DS

They all play the same damn game, which of course are re-hashes of the same games that made Nintendo big in the first place, like Mario Kart, Super Mario (1, 2, 3, etc...). And of course, you can play the same games on the Wii, Cube, VA, etc...

Nintendo is a whore, and I suck even more for giving in and buying my kids these systems that they beg for because they are "new"...bullshit!
So you hate Nintendo because they make products that make your children happy and occupied. Gotcha.
Old 07-29-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

No, I hate Nintendo for releasing the same exact games for every system available, and releasing 5 handhelds that play the same game without improvement or difference (until the 3DS).
Old 07-30-11, 04:26 PM

Well, I've rationalized my way into getting a blue bundle from Costco. I've been assured that if (when) the price of the bundle drops, I can recoup the difference. And if for some reason they don't I can just return the bundle back to Costco later. I don't know how this registration works, but it's an account, not tied to an individual unit of hardware, right? (Just in the unlikely event that I had to return it and buy another one somewhere else later)

There's a buy 1 Get 1 50% off promo at Target through today. I picked up Zelda (duh) and DOA Dimensions. Was that the best choice for a second game?
Old 07-30-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nope, there's no incentive to purchase any right now. I'd be more interested in a portable VC system anyway.
I did the same thing. $170 and 20 free games is worth it for me, but I wasn't spending money on any of the current 3DS titles. I'll use mine as a VC machine until Professor Layton or Paper Mario get released.
Old 07-30-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, I've rationalized my way into getting a blue bundle from Costco. I've been assured that if (when) the price of the bundle drops, I can recoup the difference. And if for some reason they don't I can just return the bundle back to Costco later. I don't know how this registration works, but it's an account, not tied to an individual unit of hardware, right? (Just in the unlikely event that I had to return it and buy another one somewhere else later)

There's a buy 1 Get 1 50% off promo at Target through today. I picked up Zelda (duh) and DOA Dimensions. Was that the best choice for a second game?
pretty sure i read on kotaku or some other site this exact situation and they said that the 20 free games are tied to a specific unit...not an account.

here is the link: http://kotaku.com/5825878/how-to-col...sh-on-the-side

You need to sign on to the eShop with your 3DS before the Aug. 12 price drop kicks in. No Internet? Sorry, you may be out of luck. Once you do, or if you already have, then your system is signed up for the program. I say your system, because the program is tied to the device, not the user. If you were, for instance, to have registered the 3DS and then sold it, you've also essentially sold those 20 free games to whoever buys that system from you.

It remains unclear, even with the clarification help, whether you'll be able to somehow retain those games if your system breaks or if down the line you decide to buy a new 3DS, say one with a different color.
Old 07-31-11, 09:42 PM

Thanks for that link, Sooner Doc. That answers most of my questions. I just hope that Costco drops the price of their bundle accordingly in a couple of weeks -- they would pretty much have to, but as of now they don't show a lower " future price" in their system.
Nice that there is a full transfer from the DSi. I wasn't aware that I could transfer all my purchases as well as all my pictures (permanently) onto the 3DS. That transfer made the DSi totally superfluous though, so I parted with that system today. Locked into my 3DS purchase now.

I did their system update (which took so long that I began to long for the pre-hack days of PS3 updates), went to their store and grabbed a couple of freebies. That should be all I need to get the 20 games later, right? I must say their online store is really terribly organized at present. Worse than the DSiWare one, which is really saying something. You have to actually select a game to see how much it costs. And I have no idea what the video download feature is. I guess it downloads things in sleep mode, but I don't know how many or which ones. I thought there were downloadable demos as well, but I couldn't find them.
Old 08-01-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine yesterday as well.

I did their system update (which took so long that I began to long for the pre-hack days of PS3 updates), went to their store and grabbed a couple of freebies. That should be all I need to get the 20 games later, right?
What freebies did you pick up? I downloaded Nintendo Video and Netflix. I'm hoping that's enough to register me for the Ambassador program and the free games.
Are there any games ya'll recommend fro the E Shop?
Old 08-01-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still of this mindset. Thing is still unopened. I have 10 days.

Old 08-01-11, 10:41 AM

I think you left off the final panel from that Penny Arcade comic. You know, the one where the punch line to the joke is.

Originally Posted by boogieman03

What freebies did you pick up? I downloaded Nintendo Video and Netflix. I'm hoping that's enough to register me for the Ambassador program and the free games.
Those two plus the free Pokedex. They can't compel you to pick up a purchased item to qualify, so that should do it. At least I hope so.
Old 08-01-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

My iPhone 4 dies faster than the 3DS when playing "deeper games" like Resident Evil and Street Fighter IV. If I just play the casual stuff like Cut The Rope or Angry Birds then it outpaces the 3DS.

On top of that, the 3DS offers traditional control pad so I am more than happy with my purchase. Zelda, RE: Mercenaries, and even Bust A Move offer much more satisfying game play for me overtime. I also love the Nintendo Video app which, despite only offering four videos at a time, automatically updates through SpotPass. I am not upset over spending $250 for this system because it definitely gets a lot more play time than my iPhone.
Old 08-01-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you left off the final panel from that Penny Arcade comic. You know, the one where the punch line to the joke is.
Oh, someone on the internet doesn't like Penny Arcade. How original and quaint.

I don't think it's meant to be a joke?
Old 08-01-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Webcomics in general are lame. The instant exposure the internet offers has lowered standards on pretty much every art form but for whatever reason the bar on comic strips is unusually low. Like YouTube sketch comedy-low.
Old 08-01-11, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Oh, someone on the internet doesn't like Penny Arcade. How original and quaint.

I don't think it's meant to be a joke?
Well, to be fair, if your readers can't tell if your strip is supposed to be funny or not, that in and of itself is a problem. But setting aside that issue (which is hard for me -- no matter how cliched, it never gets old for me to whine about PA), if the goal of that strip was to point out a position, what position was it trying to proffer? That handheld systems are doomed to fail because we expect very cheap portable games? That iPhone and iPad games are too simplistic to be considered real games? That your bang for buck is better with 99 cent downloadable games? I don't know what they were trying to say there.

As far as iOS games not being substantial, that is largely true. But since you can buy either Sid Meyer's Pirates or GTA Chinatown Wars HD for $3, that's a lot of bang for very few bucks. I picked up the iPad version of NBA Jam for $4.99( it later dropped to $1) and found it to be at least equal to my 360 disc-based version, and maybe superior to it. Sure nothing on the iPad can rival Legend of Zelda :Ocarina of Time 3D, but some of those concerns are legitimate ones
BTW : I've got a bit of a lazy right eye. After reading for a while I get diplopia and I'll usually end up closing my right eye and reading like Popeye. It's never affected my gaming until I tried some Zelda last night and when my eyes got a little tired I started seeing double Links. Will have to only play for short spells or change to 2D if I don't want to get a headache.
Old 08-01-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Webcomics in general are lame. The instant exposure the internet offers has lowered standards on pretty much every art form but for whatever reason the bar on comic strips is unusually low. Like YouTube sketch comedy-low.
I'm curious, have you read print comic strips lately? The bar for quality is not that high in general for the art form (though there are, of course, gems).

The question is, without their console/portable forms would there be cheaper iphone copies of GTA Chinatown Wars, Phoenix Wright, etc.? As an aside, I've been waiting for Koei to drop their iphone game prices and they just raised them! So people are still trying to get more money for more significant games on that platform, and are trying to hold out. Otherwise you get half-games like Chaos Rings seemed to be (IMHO).
Old 08-01-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, to be fair, if your readers can't tell if your strip is supposed to be funny or not, that in and of itself is a problem. But setting aside that issue (which is hard for me -- no matter how cliched, it never gets old for me to whine about PA), if the goal of that strip was to point out a position, what position was it trying to proffer? That handheld systems are doomed to fail because we expect very cheap portable games? That iPhone and iPad games are too simplistic to be considered real games? That your bang for buck is better with 99 cent downloadable games? I don't know what they were trying to say there.

As far as iOS games not being substantial, that is largely true. But since you can buy either Sid Meyer's Pirates or GTA Chinatown Wars HD for $3, that's a lot of bang for very few bucks. I picked up the iPad version of NBA Jam for $4.99( it later dropped to $1) and found it to be at least equal to my 360 disc-based version, and maybe superior to it. Sure nothing on the iPad can rival Legend of Zelda :Ocarina of Time 3D, but some of those concerns are legitimate ones
BTW : I've got a bit of a lazy right eye. After reading for a while I get diplopia and I'll usually end up closing my right eye and reading like Popeye. It's never affected my gaming until I tried some Zelda last night and when my eyes got a little tired I started seeing double Links. Will have to only play for short spells or change to 2D if I don't want to get a headache.
I think you got it. The pricepoint for 3DS games is too high compared with the rest of the portable market on one end and the perception of the "depth" and "value of graphics/online/etc/etc/etc" of the home HD console on the other.

3DS games are positioned halfway to two-thirds the way through those. First party 3DS games rarely go on sale and that's why people buy the N systems. The portability of the 3DS is questionable-at-best thanks to the battery life. People are already caring phones with them.

So the 3DS's problem isn't the price of the system (as noted in the first panel) it's the cost of the games and what they do over the $1 games in the other handheld space.

Can you play OoT-3D on an iPhone? No.

Is playing OoT-3D for $40 something that people value? That's up to them. Not me. I played it on the N64, I played it on the GC, and again on the Wii. I wouldn't play it with 3D on anyway. But that's just me. Will I get more out of 20-40 iOS or Android games for my money? Absolutely.

I've already said I'd only want the 3DS as a portable VC device anyway so my view on this matter should not be a shock to anyone. When I find a 3-panel strip that sums up a lot of view and attitude towards the state of handheld gaming in the wake of N's move of desperation, I posted it.

It's a view. An opinion. An editorial. Call it what you will. You don't have to agree. You don't have to find it funny (it's not meant to be, even though it's a cartoon). I don't agree because it's PA but I won't disagree because it's PA.
Old 08-01-11, 06:15 PM

Moving past PA, I can see why it's not a slam-dunk for you. Zelda was the only currently-available must-have title for me, and I've never played it before (never had a Nintendo console before the Wii and won't use their overly restrictive VC download system). Since I got my iPad, the other handhelds have become complete afterthoughts. Still, for $169, you're talking about a system that will play all DS games, is future proofed for years with some intriguing first-party games in the pipeline, plus getting 10 NES games that I imagine are dated but probably some are really good still and 10 GBA games, some of which are truly awesome and some of my all-time favorite games. I never understood why in six years, the DS never came out with more great games -- nothing that rivaled those Mario and Yoshi platformers, let alone the total absence of Zelda games and Metroid games (excluding the nearly-unplayable Metroid Hunters that only proved that the DS can't handle the controls necessary for a FPS).
Seeing that you miss out on nothing when you upgrade from a DSi was a plus for me as well.

I get your reluctance to go all-in with this system. A week ago I was in the same boat. But this deal-window might be too good to turn down.

Good luck in your deliberations either way.
Old 08-01-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The DS has a magnificent system library. No idea what you are smoking.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.