Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Old 07-28-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I might actually get one.
Agreed. Now I'm tempted.

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I'd be more pissed, but I'm happy with the 20 free games deal. Metroid Fusion and such? Hell yeah, I'll take it...
What is/was this? I totally missed it if there was talk about it.
Old 07-28-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I crazy or am I reading it right elsewhere that for those of us who bought the system early before the price drop, they are giving us 20 free game downloads - 10 NES and 10 GBA games?

EDIT:

Yep.

Whoops, didn't see this mentioned in the other link. I'll leave it here anyway though.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23679...ree_games.html

Nintendo's calling the 830,000 in the U.S. who've snapped up a 3DS since it launched potential "Nintendo Ambassadors" (don't you feel regal?) and here's how your bid for accredited representation works: Anyone with a 3DS who uses its wireless feature to connect to the Nintendo eShop "at least once" before 11:59 p.m. ET on August 11th will "automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program."

From September 1st, "3DS Ambassadors" will be able to select from and download 10 NES Virtual Console games gratis (and before they're available to the general public), including stuff like Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., and The Legend of Zelda. Even after the paid versions roll out to the general public, Nintendo promises they'll remain free to Ambassadors.

And at some point before 2011 closes, Nintendo says it'll give Ambassadors another 10 free picks, this time from the Game Boy Advance Virtual Console catalogue. Think stuff like Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart, Metroid Fusion, and Mario vs. Donkey. Here's the twist: Nintendo says it has no plans to make these Game Boy Advance games available to the public on the 3DS.

Last edited by Brent L; 07-28-11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I registered mine on Club Nintendo a while ago, I hope that's good enough for them for the free games.
Old 07-28-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nintendo says it has no plans to make these Game Boy Advance games available to the public on the 3DS.
Bullshit.

$80 + tax for 20 VC games, some of which I don't care about and some of which can (allegedly) only be obtained this way...
Old 07-28-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,378 Likes on 4,364 Posts

How does the free game thing work? If I buy one now at Best Buy, could I download the free games and still get the discounted price refunded to me in a few weeks via price guaranty?

Edit. Now I see that above, grabbing one makes some sense. Wow. That's some drop. I guess they were really scared of the Vita. As we all said, they were greedy and over-priced the 3DS.
Old 07-28-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
How does the free game thing work? If I buy one now at Best Buy, could I download the free games and still get the discounted price refunded to me in a few weeks via price guaranty?
Why didn't that occur to me!? That seems like a win-win!
Old 07-28-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone explain how this price guarantee business works?
Old 07-28-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Take your receipt back within the specified window because of a price drop or sale and you'll get the difference refunded to you. Some places offer 10% extra if it's a competitor's sale price.

It's basically like a return/rebuy of the same exact item, only you just need the receipt.
Old 07-28-11, 09:02 AM

Sure. At Best Buy, if you buy an item and find it at a lower price (their store or another local competitor) within 30 days, you can get the difference refunded. So buy it now, register online and show up after August 11 for a tidy $80 back. It is a win-win.
Old 07-28-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not above taking a Target ad to Best Buy to try for an extra $8.
Old 07-28-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Decker, I love the way you think. That's so my thing that it tempts me to buy another one just to do that same thing.
Old 07-28-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Sure. At Best Buy, if you buy an item and find it at a lower price (their store or another local competitor) within 30 days, you can get the difference refunded. So buy it now, register online and show up after August 11 for a tidy $80 back. It is a win-win.
I bought mine on 7/15/11, so i just made it, awesome!!!
Old 07-28-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody have preference on the system color?

I'd prefer the Aqua Blue, but I don't like how the top half is all black. I'd prefer it to just have one color, so I'm leaning towards the otherwise boring black.
Old 07-28-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Wow, that's an incredibly desperate move on their part. Has a Nintendo system ever had a price drop this early in its life?
Closest thing to an $80 drop after a few months would have to be the Vitual Boy which launched and was discontinued all within 7 months.

Originally Posted by RichC2
All things considered, this isn't surprising in the least.
Exactly. $250 for a glorified DSi was absurd to begin with. I think the DSi outselling it 3:1 last month was probably a huge fucking wake up call around the Nintendo offices.

Two things...I wonder if the rest of the DS line will drop accordingly now & what plans are still on the table for a redesign with a better battery.
Old 07-28-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Anybody have preference on the system color?

I'd prefer the Aqua Blue, but I don't like how the top half is all black. I'd prefer it to just have one color, so I'm leaning towards the otherwise boring black.
I think the blue looks kinda tacky personally, but I'm a sucker for black electronics...
Old 07-28-11, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow. So either...

People hate 3D
Was too expensive in the first place
People are now playing portables on Tablets and phones

Nintendo is not doing good. Can't imagine the Vita will do any better.
Old 07-28-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

I doubt you can pinpoint the failure on a single one of those. The price was clearly misguided. I think tablets and phones is just as big of a problem. First you can carry an ungodly amount of games on them without having to keep track of cartridges. Second, was Nintendo's misguided bump in game prices to $40 in a world of $1-$5 portable gaming.

I'm expecting the same outcome for the WiiU.

They're riding high and getting greedy.
Old 07-28-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looking at the games and my recent disinterest in gaming at all, I think I've talked myself out of it. Maybe if there was a full list of the 20 VC games and which ones will only be available through their Ambassador program, I'd be more interested.
Old 07-28-11, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Wow. So either...

People hate 3D
Was too expensive in the first place
People are now playing portables on Tablets and phones

Nintendo is not doing good. Can't imagine the Vita will do any better.
1) Yes, people either hate 3D or at least have very little use for it. Prices on 3D HDTVs keep dropping but they still don't sell well. Nintendo thought it was because of the glasses, but I think the truth is that after watching TVs, movies and games in 2D their whole life, they don't feel like they really need 3D now. Which is fair.

2) Definitely. Having a not-so-powerful, gimmicky handheld with a limited selection of must-have games that cost more than an Xbox 360 was a very, very bad idea.

3) That's the big question. I think there's still room for a dedicated handheld gaming market, but I think the pricing of iPhone and iPad games is going to be a problem going forward. After spending 99 cents for a decent iPad game, spending $39.99 for another handheld's game seems like a tough pill to swallow.

And like I said a couple of weeks ago, I don't think Nintendo will have a successful handheld system without catering to kids. Launching a system that warns parents not to let children under 6 use its 3D mode was a bit of an ominous start.
Old 07-28-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At first this news pissed me off, then I saw the bit about the 20 free games and I was fine with it. Then I remembered I only paid $162.97 out of pocket for my 3DS at launch from Amazon using various coupons and credits and I was then thrilled.

The problem with the 3DS has been a mixture of three things - high price, lack of games, and the other DS systems.

Once the price is officially down next month, and the game start being released for it things will get a lot better. I fully believe that if they announced they were discontinuing the other DS systems before long it would help a great deal. I think too many people think of the 3DS as just another "DS", and that really isn't the case.

This thing is going to catch on fire big time between now and the end of the year.

Another problem has been the fact that you can't really get a taste of the 3D without having a system right in front of you. I think people will be far more willing to jump on board now, and I think people will really get into it.

Last edited by Brent L; 07-28-11 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Other 3DS systems?
Old 07-28-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoops, no. The other normal DS systems.
Old 07-28-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, that's what I thought you meant but you were pretty consistent in using it

I think I will pick one up today and then hang on to it for a while just to check it out. I can always return it even if it's opened, right?
Old 07-28-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay so for about 4 hours I was super stoked about this, and was planning to pick one up on my way home. Then I remembered my red & black DS which I probably haven't even turned on in over 2 years now...
Old 07-28-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Okay so for about 4 hours I was super stoked about this, and was planning to pick one up on my way home. Then I remembered my red & black DS which I probably haven't even turned on in over 2 years now...
Quit being so logical about this! Give innnnn!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.