DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What age were you when you got your first gaming system, and what was it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/571164-what-age-were-you-when-you-got-your-first-gaming-system-what.html)

boredsilly 03-21-10 04:36 PM

What age were you when you got your first gaming system, and what was it?

The chat in the Wii thread makes me wonder what age everyone was when they got a system (PC gaming counts here), and what it was.

For me, I was about 9, in the fourth grade, and I got an NES. This was 1989 going into 1990. We were broke as fuck back then (I realize this now, didn't realize this back then), but my Mom really came through for me with the gaming systems over the years.

murray731 03-21-10 05:02 PM

Re: What age were you when you got your first gaming system, and what was it?

Atari 2600, must have been 5 or 6.

chuckd21 03-21-10 05:10 PM

Atari 2600, when I was 4 or 5. It was a Christmas present to the family.

kgrogers1979 03-21-10 05:14 PM

I was a couple years old when I started playing with my dad's Atari 2600. The first system that I would claim as "mine" is the NES that I got for Christmas 1986. I was 7 years old then.

smashthesymbols 03-21-10 05:18 PM

NES. I think I was 6, maybe 7, which would have been 89 or 90. I actually still have it in working condition with the box and everything.

Gdrlv 03-21-10 05:22 PM

I was 7 or 8. We got the Colecovision with the Atari 2600 add-on.

tommyp007 03-21-10 05:22 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sey2_w_box.jpg
around 9 or 10

Ginwen 03-21-10 05:23 PM

Around 28 when I got a Sega Genesis (around 1991 I think)

JasonF 03-21-10 05:25 PM

Atari 2600. I was probably 6 or 7.

The Cow 03-21-10 05:26 PM

Coleco Telstar, somewhere around 1976 or 1977 for Christmas. I was 9 or 10.

I still have it, and it still works.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ar-console.jpg

The Bus 03-21-10 05:31 PM

NES when I was 9 or so. I think the first system I bought with my own money was the N64, but I'm not sure.

E Unit 03-21-10 05:31 PM

Around 1982 or so when I was 9. Intellivision!!!

http://www.intellivisionworld.com/En...s/image001.jpg

kms_md 03-21-10 05:40 PM

atari 2600 - i was 10 or 11.

Obi-Wanma 03-21-10 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007 (Post 10061991)

Ditto, though I think I was a little younger than that... hard to remember exact details though.

foxdvd 03-21-10 06:43 PM

1979...age 10....

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2716/trs802.jpg

TRS-80

RichC2 03-21-10 07:02 PM

I think I was 8, came home from school one afternoon and my dad had an NES + tv setup on the pool table.

Love affair ever since.

DarthVong 03-21-10 07:22 PM

http://www.thegameconsole.com/colecotelstararcade.jpg

in 1978. I was 8 years old and remember the silver triangle cartridges. Then we got an Atari 2600 because the Coleco only had like 3 or 4 games for it.

boredsilly 03-21-10 07:55 PM

Damn, I didn't even realize half of these things existed!

xmiyux 03-21-10 07:55 PM

My grandparents got my parents and i a Pong machine when i was young enough to only barely remember getting it and playing. :shrug:

We always had game systems and PCs.

M Polo 03-21-10 08:36 PM

My Grandparents bought a Colecovision when they first came out in '82. That is the first system I remember playing on in there game room. I only really remember it because the same room had a pool table in it and I just remember sitting at a little fold-up table playing the Coleco in the corner while all of the rest of the family played pool. I remember Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap...

Since then I've owned almost every home system to come out at one time or another including a 3DO, Jaguar, Virtual boy etc. Where they all went? I have no idea. The only one still around is the old 3DO in my folks attic.

xmiyux 03-21-10 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by M Polo (Post 10062337)
My Grandparents bought a Colecovision when they first came out in '82. That is the first system I remember playing on in there game room. I only really remember it because the same room had a pool table in it and I just remember sitting at a little fold-up table playing the Coleco in the corner while all of the rest of the family played pool. I remember Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap...

Since then I've owned almost every home system to come out at one time or another including a 3DO, Jaguar, Virtual boy etc. Where they all went? I have no idea. The only one still around is the old 3DO in my folks attic.

Damn Polo. I am seriously jealous of you owning a 3DO. I wanted one of those so badly for the longest time but they were so hard to find and so expensive at the time. We had a local place that had a couple set up with recliners and you could pay a couple bucks an hour to play them. We would go there every so often and play the fighting games.

Damn fun system and a true arcade experience.

Geddlo 03-21-10 08:52 PM

Do pinball machines count? Heh.
ColecoVision was the first video game system I had. Got it for Christmas, it was a family gift for my sister and me. I dont remember the exact year we got iit but it had to be '82 or '83. Which puts me at 5or 6.

The NES came next a few years later. Then I bought a Genesis then a Playstation. My parents got me a Gamecube when they saw how awesome the Star Wars Rogue Squadron game was on it.

I still have all my systems and have them on display on shelves.

EdTheRipper 03-21-10 09:00 PM

An Atari 2600 when I was 6.

M Polo 03-21-10 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 10062350)
Damn Polo. I am seriously jealous of you owning a 3DO. I wanted one of those so badly for the longest time but they were so hard to find and so expensive at the time. We had a local place that had a couple set up with recliners and you could pay a couple bucks an hour to play them. We would go there every so often and play the fighting games.

Damn fun system and a true arcade experience.

Its funny because obviously knowing now how much the 3DO was new I actually asked my dad if he remembered buying it and he did. He said he had just recieved a fresh Sears credit card and while walking around the store with it burning a hole in his pocket he saw the Panny 3DO and went for it, lol. I actually remember him bringing it home because I already had and SNES and Genesis so needless to say I was a little shocked.

Either way its in the attic now but I remember playing many hours of Road Rash, The Need for Speed, Myst and Super Street Fighter II Turbo on it. We also had the light guns and I used to love me some Mad Dog McCree, lol.

I have a ton of games with it from when it was pulled from shelves. Electronics Boutique had like a fire sale of all the games and I remember using my whole weekend work money to buy games for like 5 and 6 bucks.

foxdvd 03-21-10 09:43 PM

I remember having a point when I got to choose between a Neo Geo, which I always wanted because of the arcade games, and a 3DO...I picked the Neo Geo, which I was glad I did. My future (and now ex) wife thought I was stupid to spend that kind of money on a system, but god it was amazing to play those arcade games at home, and have them look so good....