Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you miss text heavy RPGS?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which RPG do you prefer?
Text Heavy old school
46.43%
Current gen voice over
42.86%
I always hear twikoff in my head
10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Playing Final Fantasy XIII has me missing the old days of RPGS when all the dialogue was in text. It was cool to name your characters (Mr.T FFVII ) And having to imagine the voices in your head was fun. Now with the new RPGs we cant change the names and have to listen to annoying voices most of time. Anyone else miss the old school RPGS?
Old 03-10-10, 12:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Do you miss text heavy RPGS?

The BioWare RPGs (Mass Effect 1&2; Dragon Age) are EXTREMELY text heavy. HUGE amounts of dialogue in those games.
Old 03-10-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I actually meant mainly JRPGS.
Old 03-10-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I don't miss text heavy in the sense of Xenogears and its "ZOMG IT'S A NOVEL!" amount of text.

With graphics at the level they're at now, I want to say voice acting is more necessary since it fits with more realistic characters vs. mutes.

That said, I love my some old school JRPGs.
Old 03-10-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually miss text adventures in general.

I have been replaying some of the Zorks on an iPhone app and it has been good fun. The app also has a bunch of other text adventures that i never played back when they were all the rage so i'm kind of looking forward to "new" ones.
Old 03-10-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I play a lot of games on the DS and old school JRPGs are alive and well there. I don't miss them at all on consoles. I would rather play Western RPGs on the Xbox.
Old 03-10-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The BioWare RPGs (Mass Effect 1&2; Dragon Age) are EXTREMELY text heavy. HUGE amounts of dialogue in those games.
Not exactly - I just beat ME2 and started my next playthrough. I wish the dialogue would be always be onscreen (not just when they are done talking) so I don't have to wait for the actors to read the line. Makes the game longer than it needs to be. I don't care at all about the voice acting.

Last edited by Draven; 03-10-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I have been replaying some of the Zorks on an iPhone app and it has been good fun. The app also has a bunch of other text adventures that i never played back when they were all the rage so i'm kind of looking forward to "new" ones.
App name? I love the Zork style games and can't live without my iPhone so this sounds like a match made in heaven....
Old 03-10-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Not exactly - I just beat ME2 and started my next playthrough. I wish the dialogue would be always be onscreen (not just when they are done talking) so I don't have to wait for the actors to read the line. Makes the game longer than it needs to be. I don't care at all about the voice acting.
Turn on subtitles. Then you read the subtitle and press the X button to have them skip to the new line. It interrupts the voice acting. I just started playing Mass Effect 1, and I would have killed myself already if I didn't do this.
Old 03-10-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Turn on subtitles.
And set the volume of the spoken dialogue to zero.
Old 03-10-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope.
Old 03-10-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I just miss JRPGs with good writing. They're either trying too damned hard to be quirky or too damned hard to be serious. There's no happy middle. The same seems to apply with regards to voice acting (wether in English or Japanese).
Old 03-10-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wlmowery
App name? I love the Zork style games and can't live without my iPhone so this sounds like a match made in heaven....
It is called Frotz.

It is also a free download and all the interactive fiction games are free as well.

http://appshopper.com/search/?search=frotz

edit: I have been introducing my 5-year old daughter to the genre by using it like I am reading her a book but she gets to make decisions. She enjoys trying to figure out commands that will work. Beats reading a book from the library to her.

Last edited by xmiyux; 03-10-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 04:00 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

A couple of years ago, I found a telnet server that had all the Infocom games in playable form. I wound up playing through most of them. Fun stuff.

I also loved the old school CRPGs like the Bard's Tale series, the Wizardry series, and the Ultima series. I'm not sure any of those count as text-heavy, but they were awesome.
Old 03-10-10, 07:18 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first time I heard Makoto talk in Enchanted arms made me yearn for days of old...

Old 03-10-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

^ Is that crap for real?
Old 03-10-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I the only one who read the thread title, and immediately thought of Planescape: Torment?

One of the last text-heavy RPGs, and one of the best RPGs ever.

Last edited by dugan; 03-10-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 09:31 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
^ Is that crap for real?
unfortunately yes....

Am I the only one who read the thread title, and immediately thought of Planescape: Torment?
no...I did as well...

I also thought of the same thing as JasonF's.....

Of course I also remember playing D&D as a kid in the late 70's and the first time I saw Akalabeth, my jaw dropped and I remember thinking "this is the moment....it does not get any better than this..." I fought with my older brother all the time over playing it.
Old 03-10-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, you were right to do so; the Ultima games were good. When I bought the Ultima Collection, I tried out Ultima 1 with the intention of sneering at how bad and primitive it was. As it turned out, I couldn't stop playing it.

Stealing merchandise from gun shops, killing innocent store proprietors and rampaging across the country in hover-tank armed with a laser cannon that you use to blow away alligators was just too cool.

I gave up during the starfighter battles though.

Last edited by dugan; 03-10-10 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Turn on subtitles. Then you read the subtitle and press the X button to have them skip to the new line. It interrupts the voice acting. I just started playing Mass Effect 1, and I would have killed myself already if I didn't do this.
Funny, ME1 was the first game ever where I didn't turn on subtitles. The acting is getting so good that I don't feel like I want to miss out on the readings of the lines. Good voice acting adds quite a bit to the experience and makes me feel like I'm actually in a conversation.
Old 03-11-10, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
CRPGS like those are still fairly text heavy, but even they have much less text and dialogue compared to older CRPGS like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. Despite Fallout 3's massive world, I am pretty sure that the older Fallouts had more dialogue too (plus much more diverse dialogue based on your Intelligence stat which was sorely lacking in Fallout 3).
Old 03-11-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Funny, ME1 was the first game ever where I didn't turn on subtitles. The acting is getting so good that I don't feel like I want to miss out on the readings of the lines. Good voice acting adds quite a bit to the experience and makes me feel like I'm actually in a conversation.
I will let some of the voice-acting play out. However sometimes I just don't have the patience to sit there and listen to a person drone on and on. I wish I had the subtitle and skip dialog option with my boss when he goes off on his stupid stories.
Old 03-11-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
Well, you were right to do so; the Ultima games were good. When I bought the Ultima Collection, I tried out Ultima 1 with the intention of sneering at how bad and primitive it was. As it turned out, I couldn't stop playing it.

Stealing merchandise from gun shops, killing innocent store proprietors and rampaging across the country in hover-tank armed with a laser cannon that you use to blow away alligators was just too cool.

I gave up during the starfighter battles though.
Ultima I actually was not the oldest game in the series, this was because Origins went back and did a remake of Ultima I somewhere between Ultima IV and VI (couldn't remember exactly when...) So technically Ultima II was the earliest and most primitive game of the series.
Old 03-12-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dugan
You do realize that Planescape: Torment is a grossly extreme example, right?
OMG. I want a new game with just Mort
Old 03-12-10, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

A couple of years ago, I found a telnet server that had all the Infocom games in playable form. I wound up playing through most of them. Fun stuff.

I also loved the old school CRPGs like the Bard's Tale series, the Wizardry series, and the Ultima series. I'm not sure any of those count as text-heavy, but they were awesome.
I was a total hater of all the fancy new graphic adventure games like Kings Quest and Monkey Island or whatever. I never did play them. When I think about what passes for a puzzle these days, it just makes my blood boil.

In my day, we played with only 40x24 monochrome text displays and we liked it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.