Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

School me on online play (XBOX 360).

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 04:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
School me on online play (XBOX 360).

So I decided to just get 1-month XBL Gold for now and wanted to find out the fundamentals to just getting online and pick up and play with people I don't know when I have time to do so. Sorry if there is already a thread similar, but I did do a search for a change.

Are there any free games on XBL that I can get into? I actually tried to play with XBLA full version of Time Pilot, but there was no on there to play with.

The reason I ask about a free game is that all the games I have that would be eligible for online play (Halo 3, CoD: MW 1 & 2, Gears of War 2, etc.) I haven't played yet and really only would go online after I played the single player campaign and at least knew somewhat what I was doing.

I tried to get online with Halo 2 the other day, but that didn't work out to well. I see in the ODST thread that people are trying to get others here online to play. Is that necessary or can you just go online and get in any game?

Do I need to wear a headset and listen to other players if I go online?

I dunno, just want to know the easiest way to go online and actually play with other people and enjoy.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 03-02-10, 04:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: School me on online play (XBOX 360).

I can't think of any free games that are going to have an online community.

I suggest you buy something cheap and simple, like Uno, to get your feet wet.
Old 03-02-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to play with anyone on this forum then you need to post your gamer tag. List the games you have either disc based or XBLA. Then people with those games can send you a friend request. I'm sure they will help you get started. You don't need a headset unless you want to talk back.
Old 03-02-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I can't think of any free games that are going to have an online community.

I suggest you buy something cheap and simple, like Uno, to get your feet wet.
Are you aware of the debauchery that exists on Uno? That's the problem, every idiot has that game. Halo 2 won't work because they are actually closing that down soon. I would suggest something like Shadowrun, last I checked it was $10 to buy in store and it was online only and still had a decent community. If you are looking for popular XBLA games, Catan and Peggle have decent (but small) communities. The games run both about $10 I think. Those might have dried up some though.
Old 03-02-10, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a couple of different ways to use Xbox Live. One is to play with your friends. It's easy and pretty self explanatory to invite friends into the game you're playing. Most people I know do this because it's just more fun to play with your friends.

Alternatively, you can just hop into matches with strangers. Be aware that you're likely entering hostile territory that way, especially with shooters like Halo and MW. Expect a lot of 12 year old kids swearing and throwing insults. Also be prepared for the fact that there are a LOT of people who are a LOT better than you. If you want to commit the time it actually does make you better; if you don't, to be frank, it's hard to have much fun since you'll get sniped 2 seconds after spawning.

Uno is a good one to ease in. I think it's 5 bucks, and it's an exception to the rule for random matches; the people on there are usually pretty laid back.

Don't get too hung up on finishing single player before you check out multiplayer. It really doesn't help. You're not going to be a greater multiplayer player just because you've beat the single player campaign.

You don't need a headset, but it helps. If you don't have one, I think by default other player chatter comes through the tv audio. I'm pretty sure you can mute that.

There are TONS of games where online is completely dead, i.e. where literally no one is playing. That's what happened for you with Time Pilot. Unless you invite a friend, you're hunting a needle in a haystack to find someone to play with you. If a game is more than a couple months old (either retail or XBox Live Arcade), I would advise you to research online whether it has a community of players before you buy it. Halo, Gears, CoD games, Street Fighter 4, current year sports games, and Uno immediately spring to mind as games you won't have any problem with finding matches. Almost anything else I'd say you need to research.
Old 03-02-10, 05:03 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Battlefield 1943

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/ga...-d8025841097e/

It's cheap (around $10-15). Has a great tutorial to get you prepared. There's only 3 maps, 3 layouts and 1 game mode, so you won't feel overwhelmed. Very easy to play and great for beginners.
Old 03-02-10, 05:12 PM

isn't Uno the card game? i was thinking more a 1st person shooter or 3rd person action something or other.

i like your suggestion Dave and am currently downloading the demo for Battlefield, so we'll see how that goes when i have time to jump on.
Old 03-02-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by wedge

You don't need a headset, but it helps. If you don't have one, I think by default other player chatter comes through the tv audio. I'm pretty sure you can mute that.
True. But in some games, especially games where communication is key like Left 4 Dead, people may boot you if don't have one. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.
Old 03-02-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Aegis Wing is the only free online title I know. Its a SHUMP. A good way to get into online gaming would be to play with the fine folks right here in this very forum. I do not do random online matches - I only play with people I know. (even if I only know their DVDTalk username)
Old 03-02-10, 05:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Slightly OT, but is anyone approving friend requests for DVD Talk Gamers on Live anymore? I sent my request a few months ago and haven't gotten approved.
Old 03-02-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can also do the "friend of a friend" thing to scope out a ton of people on different gamer tags. That is how the DVDTalk tag works and the Good Game Network tags.
Old 03-02-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OP, Halo 2 won't work on Live because MS shut down Live for original XBox games like a week or two ago.
Old 03-02-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

is 1vs100 still going on? That's free and fun.

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
OP, Halo 2 won't work on Live because MS shut down Live for original XBox games like a week or two ago.
Not quite. They announced it a couple weeks ago, but the shutoff date isn't until 4/15. The real problem with Halo 2, is at this point the only people that play are the uber hardcore "we hate Halo 3" bunch that start multiple live accounts just to pounce on any noobs that do show up.
Old 03-02-10, 11:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
is 1vs100 still going on? That's free and fun.
No, that ended a few weeks ago and no word yet on when the new season will start.
Old 03-02-10, 11:49 PM

Defiantly try to seek out people you know to play with on xBox live (especially in FPS games).

Playing with random people sucks for the most part. I know when I'm playing video games, I don't really enjoy being screamed at by 12 year olds.
Old 03-24-10, 03:31 PM

Re: Halo 3

so is there a way to just jump into a game willy nilly? i tried, for the first time to go online and chose Slayer game, but it dumped me in my own game with no one else.

do you have to be invited or something?

i ask because when i did the Bionic Commando multi-player demo i was able to just jump in and have everyone slaughter me.
Old 03-24-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Battlefield 1943's demo is one full untimed level. That's a great place to start.

If you play Uno, don't allow people to show you their Xbox Vision cameras, unless you like pressed fruit bowls.
Old 03-24-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
True. But in some games, especially games where communication is key like Left 4 Dead, people may boot you if don't have one. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.
Yeah, there are people on this forum that would not play certain games with you if you chose not to use a mic...
Old 03-24-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Yeah, there are people on this forum that would not play certain games with you if you chose not to use a mic...
I think in Scott's case they would rather him play without a mic. He would be talking everyone's ear off the entire game with question after question.
Old 03-24-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
I think in Scott's case they would rather him play without a mic. He would be talking everyone's ear off the entire game with question after question.
Fixed.
Old 03-24-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
Re: Halo 3

so is there a way to just jump into a game willy nilly? i tried, for the first time to go online and chose Slayer game, but it dumped me in my own game with no one else.

do you have to be invited or something?

i ask because when i did the Bionic Commando multi-player demo i was able to just jump in and have everyone slaughter me.
Make sure that the Network option says Xbox Live (Open Party). It may say Local or System Link.

Last edited by edstein; 03-24-10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Fixed.
i had to look at the two posts ten times to see what was changed.
Old 04-14-10, 08:41 PM

so you are supposed to plug the headset into the controller right? people could hear me (from what i gleened through the tv audio, i believe, as they mocked me and told me how much i suck) and i could see the audio icon blink everytime i spoke, but for the life of me couldn't hear a thing from the headphone. anyone know why?
Old 04-14-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are audio output settings you need to change. You can have chat come through your speakers, headset or both.
Old 04-14-10, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
There are audio output settings you need to change. You can have chat come through your speakers, headset or both.
i saw those when i hit pause in game. i hit mixed which i assumed was both speak and hear. heard some through tv speakers, but not headphone and there was nothing specific for headphone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.