Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alan Wake

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alan Wake

I would seriously consider getting a 360 for this, but I can't even keep up with my existing backlog.
Old 05-05-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I wish they hadn't nixed the PC release. I can't bring myself to buy a console for one game.
Old 05-06-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After watching the gametrailers review, I don't think I'll have a problem passing on this. Just looks to me like another Silent Hill type of game. I'm sure it's more than that, but eh. I wish they had made Max Payne 3 instead.
Old 05-06-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hoping for a higher score from IGN
Old 05-06-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

L&O can you expand on the gameplay a little? Is this a game a casual gamer could pick up pretty easy? This game is probably not something I would get into but my wife might enjoy it as long as the control scheme is easy.
Old 05-06-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

With ModNation Racers, Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2 all coming out within a week of this game, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on this one. It doesn't look bad, but it's lower on my "want list" than those others.
Old 05-06-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The writing/voice-acting is atrocious. Bioware has spoiled us.
Old 05-06-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
You mean spoiled us with the male Shepard, right?
Old 05-06-10, 10:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Play FFXIII first, problem solved.
Old 05-06-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
L&O can you expand on the gameplay a little? Is this a game a casual gamer could pick up pretty easy? This game is probably not something I would get into but my wife might enjoy it as long as the control scheme is easy.
Run around, get from one spot to another while taking out the bad guys. It's got some 3rd person shooting segments which ratchet up the tension. On normal mode there likely will be a couple frustrating sections for a casual gamer, but anyone should be able to finish it as the difficulty doesn't hit a wall as you progress.

I thought the voice work was just fine. Take the approach that you're playing a Stephen King novel, because that's pretty much what this is. It fits the mood/atmosphere in my opinion. I didn't find myself distracted by any of the voice work or writing at any point in the game.
Old 05-06-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Here's a good, thorough 9-minute review with a bunch of clips of the cringe-inducing dialog/acting:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=65250"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=65250" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>
Old 05-06-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should totally not play it.
Old 05-06-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I honestly think my wife is more excited than I am about the game. I imagine we will be playing this nightly after the wee one goes to bed.

I have a question though. How is the save system? Can I save anytime? Checkpoint based? Save area based? Multiple saves allowed?
Old 05-06-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I honestly think my wife is more excited than I am about the game. I imagine we will be playing this nightly after the wee one goes to bed.

I have a question though. How is the save system? Can I save anytime? Checkpoint based? Save area based? Multiple saves allowed?
Checkpoints are VERY plentiful. And act as saves.

I think multiple people can have saves.
Old 05-06-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Everything i've read and seen sounds awesome to me. Strong, immersive single player games are pretty much all i'm interested in now, and this is right up my alley. Between this and Mass Effect 2, seems like the XBox has some pretty strong exclusive showings this year.
Old 05-06-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty excited for this now. I was only curious at first, based on the fact that it's from the Max Payne guys, but the positive buzz really raised my interest level (among other things ).
Old 05-06-10, 03:45 PM

So is the pre order bonus stores are offering the same as the Limited Edition bonus? I'm talking about the shirt and theme by the way.
Old 05-07-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wish they hadn't nixed the PC release. I can't bring myself to buy a console for one game.
Get Deadly Premonition too. Problem solved.
Old 05-07-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the Kotaku review:

" I had perhaps the biggest scare of my adult life while playing this game. And it wasn't something that was designed into Alan Wake. There were no triggers. Instead it was something completely organic, the result of my late night play session, the darkened underground room where my console is, the constant little scares that kept picking away at my sense of calm and then one single moment that literally made me drop my controller."

I can't remember the last time I literally dropped my controller because of fear or another extreme emotion while playing a game.... That statement alone doubled my interest in the game however I wonder if the reviewer was running on too many vodka red bulls at 3 in the morning hehe.
Old 05-07-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Darkfriend
From the Kotaku review:

" I had perhaps the biggest scare of my adult life while playing this game. And it wasn't something that was designed into Alan Wake. There were no triggers. Instead it was something completely organic, the result of my late night play session, the darkened underground room where my console is, the constant little scares that kept picking away at my sense of calm and then one single moment that literally made me drop my controller."

I can't remember the last time I literally dropped my controller because of fear or another extreme emotion while playing a game.... That statement alone doubled my interest in the game however I wonder if the reviewer was running on too many vodka red bulls at 3 in the morning hehe.
I remember the first time I played Condemed. I had my surround up and it was like 1am pitch black and everything is calm and quite and then I see some guy running in the background making some werid noises. I didn't drop my controller but it made me jump a little. I wasn't expecting that,
Old 05-07-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I got in on some of the bonus cash those other reviewers are getting. I'd say it's not as scary as Dead Space nor Condemned. It's definitely a tense game though, a little unnerving - but compared to the mall in Condemned not quite at that level.
Old 05-07-10, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkfriend
There are some pretty scary moments in Dead Space. I don't think I ever actually dropped my controller, but there were parts of that game that definitely got my heart pumping.
Old 05-07-10, 04:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
There are some pretty scary moments in Dead Space. I don't think I ever actually dropped my controller, but there were parts of that game that definitely got my heart pumping.
through the first 6 chapters (all i've played so far), i don't think i have yet to not flinch anytime a necromorph comes out of an air duct.
Old 05-07-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't think i have yet to not flinch anytime a necromorph comes out of an air duct.
PARSER ERROR...DOES NOT COMPUTE

With the triple(?) negative, I think you're saying you don't flinch a lot...maybe.
Old 05-07-10, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Get Deadly Premonition too. Problem solved.
Seriously, wow. This is the best $20 I've spent on an Xbox 360 game. Graphics are very much Xbox/GameCube, and the control are Resident Evil tank-style, but damn this is pretty fun. If Twin Peaks was a game, this would be it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.