DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The not-so-official PC Gaming Thread - 2010 Edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/568659-not-so-official-pc-gaming-thread-2010-edition.html)

RichC2 01-28-10 10:54 AM

The not-so-official PC Gaming Thread - 2010 Edition

Figured it was about time to get a PC Gaming Thread started in here. Discussion of games, online gaming, system building, configurations, benchmarks, etc; Plus I think we're finally past that slump where PC gaming meant World of Warcraft.

PC Gaming seems positioned to make a little bit of a comeback, especially now that:

1) TVs are basically giant 1920x1080 monitors
2) Graphics cards come with HDMI-out and PCs overall seem more set for HTPC setups than ever before.
3) Developers are starting to include game controller mappings again (love the 360 pad use)
4) Digital Distribution ( Steam, Direct2Drive, GOG, etc; )
5) A solid gaming rig can be built for reasonable prices
6) Dragon Age is way better on PC. Just sayin.

and above all else, I rebuilt my PC not that long ago :)

fumanstan 01-28-10 11:00 AM

Re: The not-so-official PC Gaming Thread - 2010 Edition

You know what's great about PC gaming? Services like this that let you go back and play awesome shit like Gabriel Knight.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/gabri...of_the_fathers

:D

RichC2 01-28-10 11:02 AM

I also enjoy not having to wait for new features to be added, like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Slacker, etc; :D Though I guess that files better under HTPC.

I miss the GK series, wish they'd make a new one at some point, fantastic games.

Noonan 01-28-10 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9968406)
You know what's great about PC gaming? Services like this that let you go back and play awesome shit like Gabriel Knight.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/gabri...of_the_fathers

Thanks for the link! I'll be downloading a few of those tonight for sure.

kgrogers1979 01-28-10 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9968397)
6) Dragon Age is way better on PC. Just sayin.

Heck yeah it is. I have watched some people play the PS3 version, and it is almost a completely different game compared to the PC version in both gameplay and graphics.

Gameplay-wise the console version has smaller groups of enemies and it isn't as difficult. AoE spells like Fireball are party-friendly by default on the console whereas they are not party-friendly by default on the PC. The PC has much larger groups of enemies so you have to be a lot more tactical. You can do the overhead isometric viewpoint in the PC to get a better view of the battlefield, and you can't do this in the console version. Plus you can of course hotkey spells and skills instead of having to fumble through menus like you do on the console.

Graphics-wise the console is on lowish medium settings compared to a maxed out PC. Maxed out, the graphics are not bad at all.

Plus... mods. There are already a lot of great user-made mods for the PC version. Consoles are missing out on this completely. I saw one potentially epic mod that some people are currently working on that is going to remake Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn using the Dragon Age engine.

edstein 01-28-10 12:23 PM

Games on my PC list:

In current rotation:

KOTOR
Company of Heroes
Plants vs. Zombies
Torchlight

Up coming:

Starcraft II
Diablo III

RichC2 01-28-10 12:56 PM

I'm currently playing Borderlands and Mirror's Edge (both bought on sale, ME was $5), enjoying both a good deal. Mirror's Edge is a cool ass game.

lordwow 01-28-10 01:07 PM

I've been playing a lot of Torchlight lately.

superdeluxe 01-28-10 01:25 PM

romance of the three kingdoms II

fumanstan 01-28-10 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9968397)
Plus I think we're finally past that slump where PC gaming meant World of Warcraft.

As big of a fan I am of PC games, I'm not completely sold that this is the case. What's changed in the last few years that would lead you to believe there's a shift away from WoW or MMO's?

I think there's still a lack of attention on PC versions of games, what with the new movement where games are no longer having dedicated servers or just mediocre ports. Dragon Age is kind of it's own story, as I believe it was originally developed with the intention of being PC only.

Starcraft 2 is awesome, but I don't think PC gaming can depend on waiting on for a Blizzard game every couple years, as much as I hate to say it. :)

RichC2 01-28-10 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9968972)
As big of a fan I am of PC games, I'm not completely sold that this is the case. What's changed in the last few years that would lead you to believe there's a shift away from WoW or MMO's?

I think there's still a lack of attention on PC versions of games, what with the new movement where games are no longer having dedicated servers or just mediocre ports. Dragon Age is kind of it's own story, as I believe it was originally developed with the intention of being PC only.

Starcraft 2 is awesome, but I don't think PC gaming can depend on waiting on for a Blizzard game every couple years, as much as I hate to say it. :)

I moved away from my college town home of 5 years :lol: Plus general chatter on the game from the places I normally visit online seem to be way down. I honestly didn't see the big deal on the P2P servers, they're free and still work fine for me so I wasn't terribly concerned.

The main thing though is videocards are back at a price point where they are affordable and can play the latest and greatest just fine -- maybe not maxed out at 2560x1600 but are still more than playable at at least 720p (1366x768). Computers are also becoming super powerful for super low prices these days. But again, it's just my state of mind right now. For some, PC gaming didn't die and/or PC gaming is still flatlining.

kgrogers1979 01-28-10 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9968972)
Dragon Age is kind of it's own story, as I believe it was originally developed with the intention of being PC only.

It was. Being a huge D&D and Baldur's Gate fan, I followed the development of Dragon Age from the beginning. It started development in 2004 right around the time Jade Empire was released. It was meant to be PC only.

Then in 2008, EA acquired Bioware and it was basically EA that wanted to port it to consoles. So the console development didn't actually begin until 2008.

It is actually kind of funny too because it shows just how little most people care about PC gaming. Most people never even heard of Dragon Age before 2008. After it was announced for consoles though, everyone starts getting excited.

RichC2 01-30-10 11:49 AM

Figured I'd add this little bit:

The Netbook gaming guide.

I'm taking a cross country flight on Monday and decided to start compiling a list of "games playable" on a netbook for the trip. That sets us back more than 10 years in graphic card advancement :lol:

I'm running on an Asus Eee Pc 1000 which features an Atom N270, 2gb RAM, 40gb SSD (sooo slllooowww), WinXP and Intel GMA945/950.

So far, working without a hitch:

Anything not 3D from before 1999 (Oddworld games, The Dig, Space Quest games.)
PopCap games (Plants vs. Zombies, Peggle)
Half-Life (640x480, runs mostly smoothly)
Torchlight (1024x600, Low, in Netbook mode. Runs smooth but scrolling is a tad choppy, even in lower Res)

Any notable additions? I'm assuming both Diablo games will run but can't prove that.

GreenVulture 01-31-10 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9972269)
Figured I'd add this little bit:

The Netbook gaming guide.

I'm taking a cross country flight on Monday and decided to start compiling a list of "games playable" on a netbook for the trip. That sets us back more than 10 years in graphic card advancement :lol:

I'm running on an Asus Eee Pc 1000 which features an Atom N270, 2gb RAM, 40gb SSD (sooo slllooowww), ShittyP and Intel GMA945/950.

So far, working without a hitch:

Anything not 3D from before 1999 (Oddworld games, The Dig, Space Quest games.)
PopCap games (Plants vs. Zombies, Peggle)
Half-Life (640x480, runs mostly smoothly)
Torchlight (1024x600, Low, in Netbook mode. Runs smooth but scrolling is a tad choppy, even in lower Res)

Any notable additions? I'm assuming both Diablo games will run but can't prove that.

Something Awful has a pretty big thread devoted to netbook gaming, and one member was kind enough to put together a Google spreadsheet--it's was made back in 2008, but there's still a lot of good info there:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...CF0NzPi1oOvVOw

Just about everything from Good Old Games, which fumanstan mentioned, should run flawlessly on a netbook.

Decker 02-07-10 11:00 PM

Well, after years of sitting out on the sidelines, I guess I'm back in the PC Gaming realm now. My cousin just made me a monster computer -- a i5 2.66 Ghz Quad Core Pentium processor with 4GB of RAM, a Radeon Vapor X 5770 video card with 1 GB of memory and a 1 TB HDD.
I'm going from playing Pop Cap games to being able to run anything. Of course I have nothing to play. What's the first thing I buy to try it out? Far Cry 2 off Steam since it's on sale for $10, completely forgetting that I already have it for the PS3 and that I don't like it :doh: The fact that it has nothing whatsoever to do with Far Cry is probably the reason I forgot. Anyway, I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for some good sales on recent Eye Candy games to really try this beast out. Perhaps I'll find Crysis cheap. I know that's a graphics-card workout game. Is it supposed to be good?
One thing I'm finding is that after five years of playing FPS on consoles, it's a little hard going back to keyboard -- not for movement and aiming, but for other stuff. Are the buttons you use for maps and inventories and reloading and such pretty standard across all PC FPSs? And I still hate the driving in Far Cry 2.

kgrogers1979 02-08-10 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9987109)
Perhaps I'll find Crysis cheap. I know that's a graphics-card workout game. Is it supposed to be good?

Yeah, Crysis is the graphics benchmark game. No other game (yet) is nearly as demanding as that game is. You should be able to run it nearly maxed at a somewhat constant 30 fps. Every other game should be easily maxed at 60 fps.

If you liked the original Far Cry (not the console games developed by Ubisoft but the original Far Cry developed by Crytek) then you will probably like Crysis since it is practically the same game only with a new gimmick power suit that gives you a bunch of cool abilities.

As for controls, you can always customize your controls to your own liking. I always do since I would rather have the most important keys clustered around WASD rather than spread out across the keyboard.

Also, try out Dragon Age on PC. It is a very different and much better game compared to the console version.

RichC2 02-08-10 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 9987272)
Yeah, Crysis is the graphics benchmark game. No other game (yet) is nearly as demanding as that game is. You should be able to run it nearly maxed at a somewhat constant 30 fps. Every other game should be easily maxed at 60 fps.

If you liked the original Far Cry (not the console games developed by Ubisoft but the original Far Cry developed by Crytek) then you will probably like Crysis since it is practically the same game only with a new gimmick power suit that gives you a bunch of cool abilities.

As for controls, you can always customize your controls to your own liking. I always do since I would rather have the most important keys clustered around WASD rather than spread out across the keyboard.

Also, try out Dragon Age on PC. It is a very different and much better game compared to the console version.

I think Shattered Horizon took over the role of "Benchmark" title for graphical processing from Crysis: Warhead. Though admittingly, it is less of a game than Crysis.

Decker 02-08-10 09:06 AM

Is Crysis : Warhead a sequel to Crysis or like a Gold edition? Anywhere to get it cheap?

Never got Dragon Age for the 360 or PS3, so that's something to think about once I find it on sale. Thanks.

RichC2 02-08-10 09:12 AM

Crysis Warhead is more a standalone expansion pack / side story than a full blown new game.

It was available in a 2 pack with Crysis on Steam for $13.xx a little over a month ago, but that deal has long past.

kgrogers1979 02-08-10 10:48 AM

Warhead isn't as great of a benchmark test as the main game because the developers toned down some of the stuff and made it easier to max out on less powerful systems.

timewaster 02-08-10 11:40 AM

mass effect 2 looks amazing on the PC.
does anyone know if it is possible to get your framerate in ME2?

edstein 02-08-10 11:47 AM

I little game called Bioshock 2 is out this week.

I_Like_Movies 02-08-10 12:31 PM

Bioshock 2 looks good! Between BS2 & ME2 I may not have anytime for sleep.

Waiting for Duke Nukem Forever to come out!! (oh and it WILL come out..) <sigh>one day<sigh>

kgrogers1979 02-08-10 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by I_Like_Movies (Post 9987742)
Waiting for Duke Nukem Forever to come out!! (oh and it WILL come out..) <sigh>one day<sigh>

You do know that DNF was officially canceled last year, right? 3D Realms was downsized, the game got the boot, and an insider came out and said it was all an elaborate joke that they had been pulling for all those years (which I had long suspected anyway).

Nifty03 02-08-10 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster (Post 9987666)
mass effect 2 looks amazing on the PC.
does anyone know if it is possible to get your framerate in ME2?

I don't know about showing it in game but you can use Fraps to show it.