Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB '10: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: MLB '10: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 2nd

It doesn't help us beginners that the manual doesn't explain stuff like the pitch meter, the location indicators, and guessing pitches. These are things that were probably explained when they were first introduced, but now they just assume you've played the game before and know them. The manuals are just inadequate for today's sports games.

BTW, to get the Professional Trainer trophy, just don't swing at any pitches during a batting session in RTTS. It's a silver one, too.
Old 03-07-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
It doesn't help us beginners that the manual doesn't explain stuff like the pitch meter, the location indicators, and guessing pitches. These are things that were probably explained when they were first introduced, but now they just assume you've played the game before and know them. The manuals are just inadequate for today's sports games.

BTW, to get the Professional Trainer trophy, just don't swing at any pitches during a batting session in RTTS. It's a silver one, too.
I got it by bunting the whole time
Old 03-07-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
haha for beginners? thats a tough one. this can be a very frustrating game. u really need to be able to learn the timing to hit and pitch. i strongly recommend playing the practice mode for a while until you feel are ready to step into an exhibition game... this game is much harder than mlb 2k10 and mlb the biggs!

oh yea, and what is this 'arcade mode' u are referring to??
I thought the HomeRun Derby was considered an arcadey type of mode. I'm OK with timing and all that. I was talking more team management and stuff like that. Do I have to remember player statsand know how good they are in real life to make a good team. I just want to pick up the gamepad and play. :-)
Old 03-07-10, 11:54 AM

Played 3 games online yesterday and it was surprisingly lag free. That's a great sign.
Old 03-07-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've only played one online game, but yes, it was very smooth. And I lost by a run
Old 03-07-10, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I agree it would be nice to have these in print form, but they are explained with the in-game manuals and tutorials. I just don't care for reading large blocks of text on the TV or computer screen.
Old 03-07-10, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by HotThang
I thought the HomeRun Derby was considered an arcadey type of mode. I'm OK with timing and all that. I was talking more team management and stuff like that. Do I have to remember player statsand know how good they are in real life to make a good team. I just want to pick up the gamepad and play. :-)
I would be hesitant to recommend this game to you if you're mainly interested in a pick-up-and-play game. While I suppose you could force The Show into this style of game (you'd have to lower many sliders and turn off quite a few gameplay settings), I get the feeling that it was designed more as a baseball simulation (not arcade) game.

I've only played Home Run Durby once, so please correct me if I'm wrong. It was fun, but it really doesn't give any sense of a baseball game. You can only play as a batter, there is no baserunning/fielding, and the pitches are intentionally easy to hit. It's really a timing-only game in which you're always at bat.

If you're really interested in an arcade-style baseball game, you may want to check out The Bigs. I haven't played it myself, but I've heard from some friends who thought it was good (for that style of game).
Old 03-07-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BartleyR7
I would be hesitant to recommend this game to you if you're mainly interested in a pick-up-and-play game. While I suppose you could force The Show into this style of game (you'd have to lower many sliders and turn off quite a few gameplay settings), I get the feeling that it was designed more as a baseball simulation (not arcade) game.

I've only played Home Run Durby once, so please correct me if I'm wrong. It was fun, but it really doesn't give any sense of a baseball game. You can only play as a batter, there is no baserunning/fielding, and the pitches are intentionally easy to hit. It's really a timing-only game in which you're always at bat.

If you're really interested in an arcade-style baseball game, you may want to check out The Bigs. I haven't played it myself, but I've heard from some friends who thought it was good (for that style of game).
Thanks for the input! I'll look into The Bigs 2. It seems to be more my speed. lol
Old 03-07-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Bigs 2 was a really fun, although frustrating at times game.
Old 03-07-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up getting hurt in June of my first full season in the majors. It sucked because I missed two months, and the All-Star game. I was on a tear, too.

A couple things that make me mad that may not be bugs:

I don't control my baserunning. I get messages from the manager about "warning me to start listening." This keeps up, and eventually I am benched for a game or two. I have no control over it because the computer is disobeying the manager, not me.

The other thing is when I am batting, sometimes I miss the "take a strike" goal, as in I don't see it. Once I had a grand slam, that ended up putting my team up for good, and the manager benches me because I didn't listen. What the fuck?
Old 03-08-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I get a single and the third base coach tells me to steal second. Before the first pitch, the pitcher throws over to first and it goes over the first baseman's head, so I take second. The pitcher then throws his first pitch, the batter hits a single, I come around and score....

after the game I get bitched at for not listening when he told me to steal
Old 03-08-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice
Old 03-08-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The other thing about the call to steal is it comes right away with a 0-0 count, right? I was waiting for a favorable count to run on, but instead the batter gets a single on the first pitch and now I'm in the doghouse.
Old 03-08-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another good one from late last night. I'm on third, tie ball game late. Third base coach gives me the signal to steal. Huh? First pitch, the batter bunts but fouls it off, so I finally realize they want to suicide squeeze. OK. Second pitch, I take off, he fouls it off again. So now I'm unsure if the squeeze is still on with two strikes. Third pitch, I take off, he squares to bunt, and misses for strike three. I hit the brakes and try to make it back to third - thrown out. I not only get dinged for the "non attempt" but also slapped with "making the final out of an inning at third". All because this idiot can't lay down a simple bunt.
Old 03-08-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
The other thing about the call to steal is it comes right away with a 0-0 count, right? I was waiting for a favorable count to run on, but instead the batter gets a single on the first pitch and now I'm in the doghouse.
It this kind of thing that always had me playing as a pitcher in RTTS. There's just too many variables for the apparently remedial event handling to process for baserunners. I remember in the '08 variation my player was a big powerhouse first baseman type guy (I never really trained any athletic skills) and they kept trying to make this guy run from first on a hit and run. The batter almost never flippin hit the ball and I was always thrown out. Still, somehow, it was my fault.
Old 03-08-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daryl
Another good one from late last night. I'm on third, tie ball game late. Third base coach gives me the signal to steal. Huh? First pitch, the batter bunts but fouls it off, so I finally realize they want to suicide squeeze. OK. Second pitch, I take off, he fouls it off again. So now I'm unsure if the squeeze is still on with two strikes. Third pitch, I take off, he squares to bunt, and misses for strike three. I hit the brakes and try to make it back to third - thrown out. I not only get dinged for the "non attempt" but also slapped with "making the final out of an inning at third". All because this idiot can't lay down a simple bunt.
You should be able to chew out fellow players. I feel lucky that my team's closer is leading the league in ERA and Saves, otherwise I'd have a lot less wins.
Old 03-08-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
You should be able to chew out fellow players.
that would be great. Like the moron runner ahead of me who got tossed out at second on my short single to LF, which cost me a hit and I got dinged because I'd been ask to get on base. I'd have been all over him in the dugout: Hey fatass, how the hell do you get thrown out at second by the left fielder on a single to the outfield?
Old 03-08-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony is supposed to update the rosters today and fix player progression...hopefully they get it resolved soon.
Old 03-08-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Sony is supposed to update the rosters today and fix player progression...hopefully they get it resolved soon.
Here's to hoping. I'd love to start my franchise.
Old 03-08-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I refuse to open my copy until they address the bugs in this game. I'll give it two weeks or it's going back.
Old 03-08-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I definitely have not played this as much as I would have liked in its first week out... so busy. I gotta make it a point to get some hours in before our league starts.
Old 03-08-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ive barely put any time into this game so far compared to last year. ive started an rtts w/ a pitcher but havent played it much... been playin more bad company 2.
Old 03-08-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daryl
So I get a single and the third base coach tells me to steal second. Before the first pitch, the pitcher throws over to first and it goes over the first baseman's head, so I take second. The pitcher then throws his first pitch, the batter hits a single, I come around and score....

after the game I get bitched at for not listening when he told me to steal
Well duh. You should have waited like a gentleman for the first baseman to retrieve the ball, then stolen the base when everyone was ready.
Old 03-08-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They also won't let you try again with a hit and run. if I foul off the first pitch why do I fail?
Old 03-08-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drav3n
ive barely put any time into this game so far compared to last year. ive started an rtts w/ a pitcher but havent played it much... been playin more bad company 2.
I have played a little every day, but last years version came out when nothing else was out IIRC.

Now you have Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII, Bad Company 2, Dragon Age Origins: Awakenings, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Red Dead Redemption coming out all in a three and a half month span.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.