Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Old 01-03-10, 06:42 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,937
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

This is from the purchase of Guitar Hero 5?
Old 01-03-10, 06:51 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,171
Received 446 Likes on 320 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Back in early October.
Old 01-03-10, 08:06 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Is it as bad as it looks?
Old 01-03-10, 08:55 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 11,483
Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

A while back... and it still hasn't seen the light of day on my 360 yet.
Old 01-03-10, 10:03 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,171
Received 446 Likes on 320 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Originally Posted by chess View Post
Is it as bad as it looks?
I posted my thoughts a while back but here we go again:

It's a decent diversion for a couple nights if you like Van Halen. Other than that the game is a mess. The charts, character design, animation. Bad. Bad. Bad. There is no story (not really needed, I know) but there isn't even any kind of setup like "World Tour '09!" Nothing. You don't even get any DLH hijinks on stage. The non-VH tracks are all over the place and have nothing to do with VH. Wolfgang is a meathead and the omission of Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar is inexcusable. As a Guitar Hero game it takes a step back from everything the company improved on for GH5.

It's a glorified track pack that should have been exportable because the game wrapped around the tracks is abysmal. VH has a better track selection than Aerosmith, but Aerosmith was a far more rounded experience. It doesn't even come close to the greatness that Metallica was.
Old 01-03-10, 11:33 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I posted my thoughts a while back but here we go again:

It's a decent diversion for a couple nights if you like Van Halen. Other than that the game is a mess. The charts, character design, animation. Bad. Bad. Bad. There is no story (not really needed, I know) but there isn't even any kind of setup like "World Tour '09!" Nothing. You don't even get any DLH hijinks on stage. The non-VH tracks are all over the place and have nothing to do with VH. Wolfgang is a meathead and the omission of Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar is inexcusable. As a Guitar Hero game it takes a step back from everything the company improved on for GH5.

It's a glorified track pack that should have been exportable because the game wrapped around the tracks is abysmal. VH has a better track selection than Aerosmith, but Aerosmith was a far more rounded experience. It doesn't even come close to the greatness that Metallica was.
Between what you've mentioned and the fact that Activision pretty much used it as an incentive to get people to buy another game by giving VH away free, almost makes me think that something went seriously wrong after they signed the contract with Van Halen, and then Activision pretty much said, we'll make this game, but we're going to make sure that it tanks.
Old 01-03-10, 01:09 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,888
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

I didn't even bother sending in my request for the free copy. The game looks like a POS.
Old 01-03-10, 01:40 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,637
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Originally Posted by sniper308 View Post
Between what you've mentioned and the fact that Activision pretty much used it as an incentive to get people to buy another game by giving VH away free, almost makes me think that something went seriously wrong after they signed the contract with Van Halen, and then Activision pretty much said, we'll make this game, but we're going to make sure that it tanks.
I sure would like to know more about the development history of this project. IIRC, it was officially announced last spring and originally supposed to come out around late July/early August. Then there was a trailer at E3, and then no other information about it until the GH5 promo. Then there was the bizarre official release date. I get the feeling that the inside story on this game is way more interesting than the final product itself.

As for me, I waited until the very last day of September until I finally caved and bought GH 5. Sent off for GHVH in early October, received it in late October, haven't played it since mid-November.
Old 01-03-10, 09:25 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Next stop, Earth.
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

I believe the actual game was pretty much completed over a year ago. I know nothing about what happened, but it must have been contract stuff.
Old 01-04-10, 01:32 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,910
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Bought GH5, achievement whored that, sold it for $35.

Got GHVH for free, achievement whored it, sold it for $15.

I'm done with Guitar Heroes until they are like $5 each. (damn you Smash Hits!)
Old 01-04-10, 01:37 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

I need to rattle their cages tomorrow. I sent my stuff right before the deadline, but I'm still waiting on it. Website has said "in process" for 2 months. I don't even really want it, but dammit...gimme free stuff.
Old 01-04-10, 03:09 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,637
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
I'm done with Guitar Heroes until they are like $5 each. (damn you Smash Hits!)
Smash Hits could have been had for as little as $5 just a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Matt; 01-04-10 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-04-10, 11:33 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,910
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Did Everyone Received Promotional Guitar Hero Van Halen Game?

Originally Posted by MWB View Post
Smash Hits could have been had for as little as $5 just a few weeks ago.
I got it. Before that I said I was done with Guitar Hero period. Just can't pass up a deal.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.