DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/567312-official-xbox-360-thread-console-choice-nuclear-submarines.html)

shumway 05-04-12 02:08 PM

re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Worked for me on Sprint. Thanks for the post.

Shannon Nutt 05-04-12 02:50 PM

Worked for me (VERIZON) - just waiting on the email now. Thanks!

tlwizard 05-04-12 03:04 PM

Worked for me on Sprint, although I had to do the original message in all caps to get it to go through (I know it shows that in the original post, but a lot of these don't seem to be case sensitive. This one appears to have been for me.)

And thanks!

Edison 05-04-12 04:03 PM

Thanks Xbox69!

Deftones 05-08-12 12:01 AM

I don't think I ever got the email yet. Anyone else get it?

figures. I just checked and it was in my spam folder. if you didn't get the email check, there!

superfro 05-11-12 12:05 PM

So....my account got hacked or whatever and drained of the 3000 points I had sitting on it. :( Awesome. Anyone else had to deal with this recently? I wasn't on for the past few days, but saw it showed me playing FIFA 2012 yesterday, which I don't play, and noticed my points were down from 3000 to 34. Changed my password info and opened the case with Xbox, but they're telling me I have to stay offline for 6-7 days, which blows. Awesome. :(

Decker 05-11-12 12:25 PM

Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

j/c : What did they do with the points? Transfer them to another account or spend them on something? And does it show in your account purchase history?

superfro 05-11-12 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11228256)
Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

j/c : What did they do with the points? Transfer them to another account or spend them on something? And does it show in your account purchase history?

They spent them all on packs or whatever in FIFA it looks like. Luckily I don't have my CC on the account and luckily they didn't do something smart like change my password so at least I could get in and protect it all again before calling Xbox.

Raul3 05-11-12 12:42 PM

how do you think they got access to your account?

Cusm 05-11-12 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 11228281)
how do you think they got access to your account?

The FIFA 12 hack has happened to alot of people, and I have not heard for sure how this actually happens. There have been 4 or 5 of us on this board that got hit by it.

superfro 05-11-12 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 11228307)
The FIFA 12 hack has happened to alot of people, and I have not heard for sure how this actually happens. There have been 4 or 5 of us on this board that got hit by it.

I thought it was pretty telling that one of the questions they asked was "Have you ever registered a game with EA." Uh...yeah...do they even give us an option anymore?!

Cusm 05-11-12 01:25 PM

Yeah I had bought my first EA game in years, NCAA 12 right before I got hacked. EA and MS swear that the servers were not compromised, but I think idiots like me who had the same EA and Live password prove this wrong.

discostu1337 05-11-12 08:33 PM

I had the FIFA hack a while back, it sucked but MS refunded most of the points and I changed all my emails/passwords.

SoonerDoc 05-12-12 07:27 PM

Had this happen in the fall. Same deal. Said I played FIFA 12. Don't own the game. Points went from 4300+ to 50.

Took Microsoft about 3 weeks before I could use my account and got my points replaced a few days later. Not to be a downer, but unless they are getting MUCH quicker 6-7 days is a pipe dream. Plan on a minimum of 2 weeks. Good news is they will take care of you, eventually.

superfro 05-12-12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc (Post 11229698)
Took Microsoft about 3 weeks before I could use my account and got my points replaced a few days later. Not to be a downer, but unless they are getting MUCH quicker 6-7 days is a pipe dream. Plan on a minimum of 2 weeks. Good news is they will take care of you, eventually.

I've actually heard from a few folks via Twitter that they got resolved in 3-4 days when it happened to them last month. So it sounds like they may be pretty well versed in dealing with the problem at this point. (Which also says a lot about the cause IMO.)

superfro 05-13-12 02:55 PM

Awoke to an email of all of my account stuff being finalized and fixed and a code for my 3000 stolen points. So about a 48 hour turnaround for them. And on a weekend. Pretty damn fantastic actually.

SoonerDoc 05-14-12 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 11230387)
Awoke to an email of all of my account stuff being finalized and fixed and a code for my 3000 stolen points. So about a 48 hour turnaround for them. And on a weekend. Pretty damn fantastic actually.

WOW!

Guess these are the days to get your account hijacked. Apparently.

Cusm 05-14-12 08:16 AM

Good turn around, mine took 6 weeks and I had to call at the 6th week to get my account reinstated. I hate that they make you keep a CC on record and have since used one of those Visa gift cards with about $0.80 left on it for my CC on record.

DVDChris 05-14-12 08:33 AM

No credit card on file here. I called and asked them to remove it.

edstein 05-14-12 09:47 AM

I didn't think anyone has had problems with hackers accessing credit info. I thought it was just stealing existing ms points. Or am I missing something?

Michael Corvin 05-14-12 10:47 AM

If you have a credit card on file they can buy more points to buy shit in Fifa. Credit info specifically, no, but they can run up a nice credit card bill just buying MS points.

Matt 05-15-12 02:55 PM

These are supposed to be available sometime this week.

Silver Chrome - $54.99 at Best Buy or $59.99 at Microsoft Store
Blue Chrome - $54.99 at GameStop
Red Chrome - $54.99 at Walmart.com

And yes, they are exclusive to those stores.

pinata242 05-15-12 02:57 PM

Are those colors right? Seems like they really missed the obvious exclusives :lol:

Raul3 05-15-12 02:58 PM

I was going to post that. I'm going to GS this week. :D

Matt 05-15-12 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 11233495)
Are those colors right? Seems like they really missed the obvious exclusives :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. At least give GameStop the red one and let Best Buy and Walmart fight it out to see who gets the blue one.

BTW, the text for the silver one at the Microsoft Store link indicates that the Play & Charge Cable is included. But they have it for $59.99. So either they're charging $5 more because their SKU has the cable, or they all have the cable, and they're $5 more at the MS Store because the MS Store is a bunch of dicks.

Raul3 05-15-12 03:58 PM

From Sunday: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/13/st...hing-video-ad/

I wonder about this part:

In March, Microsoft announced that Xbox 360 owners use the console more for its entertainment apps than for any actual gaming purposes, spending more than half of their Xbox time on Netflix and other music and video applications.
How will that impact the next gen console?

Jay G. 05-15-12 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 11233607)
From Sunday: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/13/st...hing-video-ad/

I wonder about this part:

In March, Microsoft announced that Xbox 360 owners use the console more for its entertainment apps than for any actual gaming purposes, spending more than half of their Xbox time on Netflix and other music and video applications.
How will that impact the next gen console?

Keep in mind that it's a percentage. So the amount of time people are playing games on Xbox hasn't necessarily decreased, but rather the amount of time people are watching videos on it has increased. I'm guessing that people are turning to Netflix on their Xbox for their "TV time," when they previously would've turned the Xbox off and watched network or cable TV instead.

From the original article in March:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...inity-mlb.html

Yusuf Mehdi, who heads up marketing and strategy for Microsoft's Xbox business, said households now spend an average of 84 hours a month on the Xbox Live online service playing games, watching videos and listening to music. That's up 30% from a year ago. Just over half that time is spent on videos and music.

By comparison, the average household spend about 150 hours a month watching television.

"What we're seeing is that people are turning on the Xbox to play games and then keeping it on afterwards to get other types of entertainment," Mehdi said.

tonyc3742 05-15-12 05:06 PM

It's possible that data might be a little skewed as well - you have be Gold and online to use those entertainment apps, but you don't have to be online to play games. Maybe the living room xbox is used for Netflix and Hulu, instead of watching regular TV; but the other three Xboxes in the house are gaming-only and are used offline.

Michael Corvin 05-15-12 05:42 PM

Cool, I was just searching Amazon for those controllers over the weekend. Now I see why I couldn't find them. And :lol: at missing the color/store tie-in.

DVDChris 05-29-12 12:19 PM

So it looks like the Amazon Instant Video app is finally going to be on the Xbox. The most noticeable feature was a "watchlist" which is your Queue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg72Y...ure=plpp_video

DJariya 05-29-12 01:19 PM

Larry Hryb mentioned on his Twitter feed that the Amazon app can be downloaded today.

I wonder if this app will hurt some of Zune's business.

DJLinus 05-29-12 01:42 PM

I had a Gold membership last year, but didn't find it worth the cost. (I don't really do any online gaming.) An addition like this, though, makes me reconsider resubscribing. Hopefully a good sale will come along.

The watchlist feature is long overdue for Prime. The press release from Amazon said you can organize it from your Xbox AND the web, so I guess they're finally adding that function to the site. (I haven't checked yet.)

Kedrix 05-29-12 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11250838)
Larry Hryb mentioned on his Twitter feed that the Amazon app can be downloaded today.

I wonder if this app will hurt some of Zune's business.

Welp, this might finally be what pushes me over the edge to get Amazon Prime. Very nice indeed.

mhg83 05-29-12 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 11251284)
Welp, this might finally be what pushes me over the edge to get Amazon Prime. Very nice indeed.

Last time i had a subscription to Prime the video selection was underwhelming. Has that changed?

Decker 05-29-12 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 11251284)

There are two reasons to get Amazon Prime : Free two day shipping for you and four of your relatives, and also for free monthly book rentals on an official Kindle device. Their streaming selection is pitiful and unnecessary if you already have Netflix. I'm not sure they stream anything that Netflix doesn't.

SunMonkey 05-29-12 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 11250743)
So it looks like the Amazon Instant Video app is finally going to be on the Xbox. The most noticeable feature was a "watchlist" which is your Queue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg72Y...ure=plpp_video

And they are offering a free month of Xbox Live:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/promo...-gold-for-free

DJariya 05-29-12 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11251310)
There are two reasons to get Amazon Prime : Free two day shipping for you and four of your relatives, and also for free monthly book rentals on an official Kindle device. Their streaming selection is pitiful and unnecessary if you already have Netflix. I'm not sure they stream anything that Netflix doesn't.

The Prime Instant Videos aren't great by any means, but I think the main draw for this new app is for those who purchase TV shows and rent movies from them and the ability to stream them on the console. I look at this app as a more of an alternative to the Zune store, which requires you to buy the MS points. This one you can just do your usual business on Amazon's website.

TheBigDave 05-29-12 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11251310)

I agree that the Prime Streaming selection is weak and doesn't compare to Netflix. But it's not totally worthless. While the two services offer many of the same titles, there's quite a few good movies/shows exclusive to Prime.

I think all those Paramount movies that were just added to Prime aren't available on Netflix. And I watch a couple British TV shows that aren't on Netflix.

edstein 05-30-12 12:06 PM

Microsoft should have bought out Netflix years ago and scrapped the Zune marketplace. I don't see why anyone would still be using that service.

Decker 05-30-12 12:44 PM

Am I missing something or is the FF/REW feature on Amazon Video pretty much useless since there's no way to view what you're fast forwarding to, just a timestamp that advances.