Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Ultimate Battle Free Pinball Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: The Ultimate Pinball Thread

Well, I'm an idiot. I have The Williams Collection for the Wii, and I saw that the Gottlieb collection was released. However I wanted it for the 360 this time because the Wii version was a little blurry for my taste. I wanted some HD sharpness. Unfortunately I didn't realize that wasn't available for the 360 and ended up ordering the Williams Collection again by mistake. I only paid $18, but I don't think I want it for only 2 new tables. Is the upgrade in graphics and the 2 new tables worth it?

I'm just going to sell my Wii version I guess. Damn, why isn't the Gottlieb collection out for the 360 yet?
Old 02-01-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Well, I'm an idiot. I have The Williams Collection for the Wii, and I saw that the Gottlieb collection was released. However I wanted it for the 360 this time because the Wii version was a little blurry for my taste. I wanted some HD sharpness. Unfortunately I didn't realize that wasn't available for the 360 and ended up ordering the Williams Collection again by mistake. I only paid $18, but I don't think I want it for only 2 new tables. Is the upgrade in graphics and the 2 new tables worth it?

I'm just going to sell my Wii version I guess. Damn, why isn't the Gottlieb collection out for the 360 yet?
Yes it is worth it. The three new tables (No Good Gofers, Arabian Nights, and Medieval Madness) are by far the best tables in the entire collection. AN and MM in particular are worth the money alone.
Old 02-01-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that makes me feel better for my mistake.
Old 02-02-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Here are two tables from my virtual pinball machine:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOAJdsflNRw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOAJdsflNRw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IGl41LapSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IGl41LapSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I really like it a lot. It was weird at first getting used to the screen, but eventually you forget that its a virtual pin table and feels like a real pinball machine. I'll upload a few more this week.
That's awesome. Is that something you made or did you buy it?

Kinda hard to play pinball with a cat on the table, isn't it?
Old 02-02-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought it late december of last year. A guy on pinball forums was selling it for $2,000 (they usually go for 4-6,000) It has 180 different tables on it.

The cat loves pinball more than me it seems
Old 02-03-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought it late december of last year. A guy on pinball forums was selling it for $2,000 (they usually go for 4-6,000) It has 180 different tables on it.

The cat loves pinball more than me it seems
I would love to see a list of the tables you have. I might have to look into something like this. Do you feel it was worth the money? I sure wish a company would grab ahold of this idea and mass produce it.
Old 02-03-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I now have such huge lust for one of those machines it is insane.
Old 02-03-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick review for Pure Pinball which was on the OG Xbox and is backwards compatible.

Don't be seduced by the drawings of hot women on the box art as this game features none of that and was obviously a ploy to sucker some buyers in.

The game consists of 4 tables: Excessive Speed, World War, Runaway Train, & HyperSpace.

All tables have their pros and cons but the tables themselves are a little more like the type you would find in an arcade than the kind you play on the downloadable tables on Pinball FX. They are long, have several ramps and play is fast but not at an excessive speed like some of the Pinball FX tables. These are more of a companion to the digitized versions released on the Gottlieb and Williams collections...but they just aren't as interesting.

Excessive Speed is an enjoyable table with fast ramps but unfortunately the goals just aren't very clear. The dot matrix scoreboard has few animations and none are used other than to mainly tell you your score...which is a shame. They really dropped the ball on the scoreboard on all of the tables and are mostly useless.

World War is repetitive and is another table with goals that are hard to figure out. The ramps aren't fun and it is just an uninteresting table. Runaway Train has clearer, more understandable goals but the tables are just too busy. It has 5 flippers and a short ramp that you will hit constantly which gets old quickly.

HyperSpace is probably the best table on the board but your upper left flipper is covered up making it tough to make the shots you need. Goals are decently laid out and the table and it's ramps are better spread out. Multiball mode goes into a different view and makes it difficult to see what's going on (this is on all tables). You can sign into xbox live to post your scores if you like though I doubt many are still actually playing this game.

Overall...an okay 5 dollar purchase but not worth much more. Concentrate on the current pinball games out there instead unless you get bored and just feel the urge to try some different tables. But none of the tables had a quality to it that made me want to revisit them.

** out of *****
Old 02-03-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also note that there is a new table available for Pinball FX on the 360: Excalibur for only 200 points (released 1-27-10).

I bought this and the table looks great but there are a couple of gameplay killing issues with it. The left side has a middle flipper than appears to have been placed there because the ball constantly and consistently goes down the far left lane. To add insult to injury, they also put some weird, circular thingamajig right in front of this lane and flipper so you can never tell what direction the ball is going to go in when it is in that area, meaning you can't even save yourself with the tacked on left flipper most of the time. The plunger is also quite weak for an odd reason.

Very disappointing to an otherwise excellent looking table. The goals are fun, the theme is good and the graphics look great. Anyone else played it and what are your thoughts?

Also, has anyone heard if the PSN Zen Pinball Ninja Gaiden dlc table is exclusive to them? I don't want to buy it there if it may be coming to the 360's Pinball FX since my 360 gets most of my play. The Streetfighter table ended up coming to both so it is not unprecedented.
Old 02-03-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

I agree about Excalibur. That left gutter gets WAY too much play. Still it's a nice table and there are a couple of really cool features to the table. NOt my favorite DLC table (that's still Rocky & Bullwinkle), but it's pretty good.

Regarding the Ninja Gaiden table : It's official name is Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 table, and since that game is exclusive to the PS3, I think it's fair to assume this particular table won't come to the 360. But that's just a guess on my part.
Old 02-03-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Well, that makes me feel better for my mistake.
FYI - you can pick up the Williams Collection for the 360 at gamestop for $10 new.
Old 02-03-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
NOt my favorite DLC table (that's still Rocky & Bullwinkle), but it's pretty good.
I'm pretty underwhelmed with most of the Zen tables, but Rocky and Bullwinkle is by far my favorite. That one is so good I would love to have it as a real pinball table.
Old 02-03-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush
FYI - you can pick up the Williams Collection for the 360 at gamestop for $10 new.
Well, since I already have the Amazon one, I'm not going to return it to repurchase for $10, but thank you.

The one problem I'm having adjusting to the 360 Williams is shaking the table. On the Wii, you shake the controller. Very natural feeling. Here I'm shaking a controller for no reason before I remember it's the left analog stick.

However the tables are so much clearer it makes playing it much more fun. The new tables are great. I love Gofer Madness.
Old 02-03-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I would love to see a list of the tables you have. I might have to look into something like this. Do you feel it was worth the money? I sure wish a company would grab ahold of this idea and mass produce it.
Definitely worth the money. Whats great about it is that you can add more tables once they're released. I don't think a company can legally sell a machine with that many licensed games. 90 % of the tables on my machine are licensed and they would have to pay fees to the original pinball company/creators. It does have a loyal community that are always working on new tables.
Old 02-03-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

That virtual table does look really cool. I take it the table has actual working flippers as opposed to virtual ones?
Old 02-03-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
That virtual table does look really cool. I take it the table has actual working flippers as opposed to virtual ones?
Yes. Flippers work and on some games you can use the plunger. But most of the time there's the launch button. The coin slot however does not take coins. It's just opens up to gain access to the computer. I have to press a number on my wireless keyboard to add credits.
Old 02-03-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weird...I figured the flippers were virtual.
Old 02-03-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Weird...I figured the flippers were virtual.
I meant the flipper buttons. The actual flippers on the table are virtual.
Old 02-03-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Any more for sale at that forum?
Old 02-03-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by porieux
Awesome. Any more for sale at that forum?
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

I haven't been to the forums for awhile so i'm not sure if anyone still selling any. It was just one guy selling his machine. There was another member that offered to build one for me and even discussed with other members the possibility of making different ones and selling at different price points.

They also have detailed tutorials on the site if you wanna build one yourself.
Old 02-04-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's fun going through all the tables now to get the achievements. However I forgot how annoying some of these tables can be. I'm looking at you, Sorcerer.

I am having the hardest time getting two of the basic goals for Funhouse. Light the extra ball from the gangway, and shoot the pinball in the clown face while he's talking. I don't remember these being that difficult previously. I used to do it by accident all the time while he was talking previously.

Any tips on the extra ball? The light goes on, I shoot it up the second plunger, but nothing as far as I can tell.
Old 02-14-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have all the basic goals and completed three table's wizard goals. I now see what the big deal is about Medieval Madness. I got 300 million on that table, and went up to 150 on the leaderboards. I had that score and still only got 2 wizard goals. Some of these wizard goals are ridiculous. Jive Time's are absurd.
Old 02-16-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the Gottlieb Collection going to come to the 360? The Crave site is garbage, and doesn't even seem to have a customer service email address, only press inquiries.

I have a question about the pinball table above. How does the tilt work?
Old 02-16-10, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have all the basic goals and completed three table's wizard goals. I now see what the big deal is about Medieval Madness. I got 300 million on that table, and went up to 150 on the leaderboards. I had that score and still only got 2 wizard goals. Some of these wizard goals are ridiculous. Jive Time's are absurd.
Any tips on the Super Jets achievement, I swear I got it multiple times, but it's not registering?

I just got this game and am surprisingly loving it.
Old 02-16-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Any tips on the Super Jets achievement, I swear I got it multiple times, but it's not registering?

I just got this game and am surprisingly loving it.
Can you specify the table and description? I wish they would let you view your completed basic goals along with the wizard goals. It doesn't sound that familiar though so I'm guessing it was something I got without planning it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.