Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need a game suggestion for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a game suggestion for the wife

Any recommendations on a recent PS3 game that the wife might enjoy? She likes those run/jump/climb/puzzle-solving games in the Mario/Sonic mold. She loved Little Big Planet, and the Lego Star Wars/Indy Games (although she’s a bit Lego-ed out by now). She thought Ratchet & Clank was cute, but there was too much shooting for her (She doesn’t like FPS games). Thinking about an Xmas gift for her, so it could be something that’s out before then.
Old 10-22-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Need a game suggestion for the wife

Originally Posted by Copper Blue
Any recommendations on a recent PS3 game that the wife might enjoy? She likes those run/jump/climb/puzzle-solving games in the Mario/Sonic mold. She loved Little Big Planet, and the Lego Star Wars/Indy Games (although she’s a bit Lego-ed out by now). She thought Ratchet & Clank was cute, but there was too much shooting for her (She doesn’t like FPS games). Thinking about an Xmas gift for her, so it could be something that’s out before then.
Uncharted 2 has a lot of the run/jump/climb/puzzle solving but also involves a good deal of shooting. If you have a backwards compatible PS3 you could try to hunt down ICO. Prince of Persia may fit as well.

2D Platforming is a rare breed these days, if you had a 360 I'd recommend Splosion Man in a heartbeat. Maybe Braid once that's out and I hear Trine is pretty good.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-22-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No puzzles, but it's definitely for everyone if you are open to it's quirkyness.
Old 10-22-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Do not get Uncharted, well, the first one(can't comment on 2). It is 90% shooter and 10% platforming.

Prince of Persia is a great suggestion. How about Mirror's Edge? It's essentially a first person platformer. There is shooting but it's optional as you can take out any enemy without guns. Also, has she ever tried the Tomb Raider games? Horrible camera aside, Underworld is fantastic. There is hardly any shooting in that game. It's essentially the opposite of Uncharted, 10% shooter, 90% adventure/platformer.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-22-09 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 03:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

it's the new interactive weemote:

Old 10-22-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Demon's Souls
Old 10-22-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Mirror's Edge is kind of difficult. I don't know if she'd like it if she's used to stuff like the Lego games.

As for my recommendation, I don't know if this game is actually getting a US release or not, but it comes to Japan in November:

It even has a character editor.
Old 10-22-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For a 2D PS3 platformer, I'd recommend Pixeljunk Eden. It's on PSN for like $10 and I think there's also a demo up for it. Anyway, it's not very recent but it's a lot of fun. Prince of Persia is a no-brainer as well.

There's a great deal of shooting in both Uncharted games, so those probably won't work very well for her.
Old 10-22-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Prince of Persia. It's a lot of platforming, climbing and jumping, some fighting, but no shooting. It looks great and amazingly, you CAN'T die. It's a year old and can be found cheaply.
Old 10-22-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by superfro

No puzzles, but it's definitely for everyone if you are open to it's quirkyness.
I was going to suggest this. I love this game. It was my first Katamari game, it's very unique in it's gameplay and style. The controls may take a bit to get used to, but soon you'll be rolling with ease. It's a real fun experience. Great music, lots of quirk. If you've never heard of Katamari- think about a snowball and how when you roll it in the snow it gets bigger as you pick more up. Katamari you have a ball that you roll, small stuff sticks to it and it grows- the more it grows the bigger stuff you can pick up, until you're picking up buildings and mountains and such.

There's also Tornado Outbreak, which is Katamari like. I've only played a bit of that one, but basically you steer a tornado to smash up stuff and gain power, the more power you get the bigger stuff you can smash. There's some cute-ish plot about saving the world too. I'd recommend Katamari over Tornado Outbreak, unless the Japanese quirkyness is a total turnoff.

Some suggestions on the PSN, Trine is supposed to come out today. It's a fun platformer in a fantasy setting. Also Flower is a must own, if you don't have it already.
Old 10-22-09, 03:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Prince of Persia. It's a lot of platforming, climbing and jumping, some fighting, but no shooting. It looks great and amazingly, you CAN'T die.
Also, it redeems next-gen graphics.
Old 10-22-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

She might enjoy Afrika. Is that available in the us yet?
Old 10-22-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Afrika got a 3.5 in IGN. Even the mediocre games licensed from cartoons fare better than that. Not only did they say the game is incredibly boring, but it also takes about a minute and a half to save your progress.

Maybe she would like a trivia game, like Buzz Quiz TV (there's a new one, Quiz World, too). There are plenty of questions because there are lots of user-submitted quizzes, or you can buy packs of questions from PSN.
Old 10-22-09, 06:11 PM

Sounds like that Katamari game would be right up her alley. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-22-09, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Copper Blue
Sounds like that Katamari game would be right up her alley. Thanks for the suggestions!
Katamari isn't a platformer -- if anything it's more of an action puzzle game. It's a little weird and can get frustrating and repetitive, at least to some. There's a free demo for the game on PSN, you might want to check it out before you plunk $50 down on that game.
Old 10-22-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Afrika got a 3.5 in IGN. Even the mediocre games licensed from cartoons fare better than that. Not only did they say the game is incredibly boring, but it also takes about a minute and a half to save your progress.

Maybe she would like a trivia game, like Buzz Quiz TV (there's a new one, Quiz World, too). There are plenty of questions because there are lots of user-submitted quizzes, or you can buy packs of questions from PSN.
I like Afrika quite a bit actually.

And just a thought...get Uncharted and Uncharted 2...you play the shooter parts and she does the platforming/puzzle parts. You guys could play through it together.
Old 10-22-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is this great game that women seem to like called "Get your ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie"

To each their own i guess

Originally Posted by chess
I like Afrika quite a bit actually.

And just a thought...get Uncharted and Uncharted 2...you play the shooter parts and she does the platforming/puzzle parts. You guys could play through it together.
<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/e8ab9f9" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/e8ab9f9" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler" ></embed></object>
Old 10-23-09, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Mirror's Edge is kind of difficult. I don't know if she'd like it if she's used to stuff like the Lego games.

As for my recommendation, I don't know if this game is actually getting a US release or not, but it comes to Japan in November:

It even has a character editor.
That looks like it could be fun, but are they paying Nintendo royalties for it?
Old 10-23-09, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Afrika got a 3.5 in IGN. Even the mediocre games licensed from cartoons fare better than that.
Citing IGN for a non-"hardcore" review? Nice. That's like asking the Pope what he thinks about the latest Jenna Jameson flick.
Old 10-23-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Katamari is awesome! As a demo, it isn't worth a full game purchase, IMHO.
Old 10-23-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Citing IGN for a non-"hardcore" review? Nice. That's like asking the Pope what he thinks about the latest Jenna Jameson flick.
If it got a 5 or so I could see, but a 3.5 is really low. It just seems there are many better alternatives, even amongst games that we wouldn't necessarily like. Especially considering that Afrika is $50.
Old 10-23-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Afrika doesn't deserve a 3.5...period. It's actually a very fun game, provided that you like the idea of sneaking around and taking pictures of animals. If that doesn't sound appealing, don't buy (or review) the game. I'd probably give it a 7.0.

I'm not sure how you'd give this as a gift, but both of the Oddworld games just came out on PSN for $10 each...and I've also always been fond of the original 3 Crash Bandicoot games, which are $6 each.
Old 10-23-09, 04:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

was "Flower" mentioned?
Old 10-23-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody with a soul would like Flower.
Old 10-23-09, 04:46 PM

Flower is indeed magical, but in my book, you can't give a downloadable game as a gift.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.