Torchlight: October 27 on STEAM

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-19-09, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone getting this?

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

Torchlight is an action role-playing-game for the PC made by the creators of Diablo, Fate, and the never-released Mythos among other games. Set in the mining town of Torchlight, players will adventure to uncover the mysteries of the Ember mines. It offers a fully featured character leveling system, randomized dungeons, hordes of monsters, and gobs of great loot.

I found this little gem on their forums: you can summon a pet and your pet can summon a pet. I am sold!

Here is a quote:

Your pet can cast any spells you can ( with the exception of town portal and identify ), which makes it interesting to pack things on them.
So yes, your pet can summon a small army of health-stealing zombies, or cast immobilizing webs, or charm monsters, or what have you.
Old 10-19-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Torchlight: October 27 on STEAM

Looks a lot like Diablo 3. That's a good thing. Any idea what the price will be?
Old 10-19-09, 09:58 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

It's $20 according to the FAQ. FATE was a pretty descent dungeon-crawler, and this looks to be very similar. I'm definitely interested.
Old 10-19-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, me too. For some reason I've been in the mood to play a Diablo style game, but I just didn't know which one to play. This looks like it's fun, and I heard a lot of good things about Mythos, so I might give this a go.
Old 10-19-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If any of you have played Mythos (before Flagship went under), this is the same game, just retooled a bit.
Old 10-27-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTW this comes out in 6 hours. You can preorder it for $17.99 on Steam. I was tempted to, but with all the other games out/coming out, I decided to wait for a sale.
Old 11-01-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else loving this game?

I find I play it for an hour or two every night before I go to bed. I have already played 11 hours in the game and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
Old 11-01-09, 02:43 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been playing it. It's closer to FATE than to Mythos -- great single-player dungeon crawl (something to tide you over until Diablo 3). I look forward to seeing what the mod community comes up with when the editing tool comes out next week.
Old 11-01-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved it up until last night. Last night I got to the final boss - ugh. Ridiculous how over the top he is. I understand that the boss is supposed to be challenge but I'm sure they added a few extra zeros to the end of his hit points by mistake. Anyway...

I got my Alchemist up to level 34 as a minion master. I had tons of fun exploring, collecting loot, dreaming about what's next to explore with other builds, other classes. I was going to go right into starting another character when I finished with this one, but I think I'll take a break for now. At least until the fan mods start coming out.

Definitely worth the $20 though, and I'm definitely looking forward to what their team and the fans do with this title in the future.

Some things to love. Your pets can cast spells. I had it healing all and summoning flaming swords. Fun times. Also the game saves anywhere when you exit- No looking for the next waypoint, exit the game and you're right where you were when you return. Finally, even with only 3 different class there's a ton of variety in builds. With the alchemist, you've got minions, nuker, or battle mage or some combo of such. Vanquisher, ranged, dual wield melee, traps, etc.

One last thing I really like is if you dual wield a ranged weapon and a melee weapon, your character will shoot the ranged one when attacking at a distance, then automatically use the melee weapon if the target gets in range. Very nice.

Two noteable mods are already out as well. One sells a respec potion in town (lets you redistribute your skill points). The other adds the imaginary pet option which was cut at the last minute from the game (so last minute that the manual mentions it). With that one, the pet isn't seen- unless you feed it a shape changing fish- then it'll appear and fight in monster form for the given duration.
Old 12-18-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Currently on sale on Steam for $9.99! Great deal.
Old 12-19-09, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Thanks! Picked it up.
Old 12-19-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Thanks. Really liked the demo and it even plays decent on my netbook.
Old 12-19-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Played for about an hour so far, and it is a blast. I started an Alchemist who is now level 7. Anyone who liked Diablo will definitely love this game.

Also, anyone else on Steam can add me to their friends list, flashburn2012. I know it doesn't have multiplayer, but at least we can compare achievements.

Oh, I forgot to mention, on Friday they added Achievements to the game along with Steam Cloud support. With Steam Cloud it stores your save games on their servers which allows you to load them anywhere you log into your Steam account. Pretty awesome.
Old 12-23-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I grabbed this over the weekend (and gifted another copy to a friend).

I'm kind of enjoying it, I really love dungeon loot games but I am kind of disenchanted with the PC "click on something to kill it" approach, it's just wildly unwieldy and ultimately uninteresting.. especially compared to similar games I've played on consoles/portables that actually have battle mechanics to them.

I do wish there was a character creator though, seems like a miss for this type of game.
Old 12-23-09, 11:22 AM

This game is still on sale through Steam for $9.99 (and probably will be through January 3). I'm also having a blast with it. A nice pick up and play game.
Old 12-23-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket View Post
I'm kind of enjoying it, I really love dungeon loot games but I am kind of disenchanted with the PC "click on something to kill it" approach, it's just wildly unwieldy and ultimately uninteresting.. especially compared to similar games I've played on consoles/portables that actually have battle mechanics to them.

I do wish there was a character creator though, seems like a miss for this type of game.
It sounds like you have only played console dungeon loot games then since ever PC version I have ever played is point and click from Diablo to Titan Quest to Sacred to Fate, etc. What about it do you find unwieldy to click and hold on an enemy you want to kill?

As someone who doesn't really enjoy console gaming due to the lack of precision I feel I have with the controller, I just find it interesting.
Old 12-23-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Fun game, and definitely worth the $20.
Old 12-23-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It sounds like you have only played console dungeon loot games then since ever PC version I have ever played is point and click from Diablo to Titan Quest to Sacred to Fate, etc. What about it do you find unwieldy to click and hold on an enemy you want to kill?

As someone who doesn't really enjoy console gaming due to the lack of precision I feel I have with the controller, I just find it interesting.
Eh, I don't find having practically EVERY action mapped to the same mouse button as "precision."

I can't count how many times I'm moving into groups of enemies or picking up items instead of attacking. But it's not really a big issue since these games tend to be designed around the fact that you don't have great control over your character's movement or actions and you can basically just take the hits.
Old 12-23-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,394 Posts

I'll check out the demo. Lord knows I've purchased far worse downloadable games for $10. I look forward to checking this out.

One thing is certain : If I buy this for $9.99, you can bet it'll be on sale for half that price next week.
Old 12-23-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought it for $10. I love the style.
Old 12-23-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I love the style.
YES.
Old 12-23-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you are at all interested in downloading Mods for Torchlight, you should grab Torchleech. It makes it really easy to keep track of and find new mods:
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5875

Currently I'm using these mods:
Better Balanced Sale Prices
Better Random Quest Rewards
Forgotten Fortress of Rokum
IHateFishing
Level/Skill Mod
Pet Transmogrification Potions (Fisherman Edition)
Potions Stacksize
Respec Mod
Shadow Vault+ (Bosses and Warps)
Shaped Gems
Starch the Monster Hunter
Very Fishy

It also will allow you to auto-update any out of date mods, and will report and mod conflicts to you.
Old 12-23-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket View Post
Eh, I don't find having practically EVERY action mapped to the same mouse button as "precision."

I can't count how many times I'm moving into groups of enemies or picking up items instead of attacking. But it's not really a big issue since these games tend to be designed around the fact that you don't have great control over your character's movement or actions and you can basically just take the hits.
Sounds like you play it much differently then I do since I end up using the left mouse, right mouse, ,1-9, and F keys. It almost sounds like you are just constantly clicking versus holding the mouse button on a single target which would result in picking up things if you lose track of your cursor. I know there is a mod out there for a larger cursor for people who prefer to play that way.

It also sounds like you aren't holding shift to stay in place for ranged attacks which would cause you to move if you aren't in range.

I don't know I just don't seem to suffer the control issues you are talking about and I do find using the mouse to select a target and click much more precise than trying to use a D-pad to drag the cursor where I want it.
Old 12-24-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm downloading this right now. I loved Diablo, hoping this lives up to my expectations.
Old 12-26-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'll check out the demo. Lord knows I've purchased far worse downloadable games for $10. I look forward to checking this out.

One thing is certain : If I buy this for $9.99, you can bet it'll be on sale for half that price next week.
No, I didn't buy it, but indeed it's $4.99 until tomorrow morning on Steam. NOW I'm getting it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.