Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Used System or Virtual Console for Classic/Vintage/Old School Games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-14-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been in the market for a couple of "old school" systems. In particular, I've been thinking about buying a Sega Genesis, a SNES & a NES along with some of my favorite games from my youth. I'm trying to weigh out the benefits of doing this rather than getting a Nintendo Wii and just downloading the games via Virtual Console.

I've been burned in the past, buying a Colecovision system lot off of ebay. It only worked in very short spurts and I ended up selling it for parts. I like the nostalgia aspect of playing on the original system, but considering the unreliability and lack of warranty - I'm not sure its worth it. Not to mention the mess of systems and cords as opposed to one streamlined device.

I was not crazy about paying $5 for NES, and $10 for N64 games, but unless you buy games in lots off of ebay, and once you factor in shipping, it seems like purchasing cartridges can be just as much.

I currently have a PS3 and 360. I enjoyed the Sega Genesis collection disc for PS3, but am doubtful that either system will ever have any NES games available. Anyone with experience with either classic consoles, virtual console or both have advice?
Old 10-14-09, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Used System or Virtual Console for Classic/Vintage/Old School Games?

It's cheaper to go with a used system, but it's more convenient to go with a virtual console since it takes up a lot less space.
Old 10-14-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

One word: MAME

Truth is, I have all those "old school" games via MAME and they suck. They're fun for 5 or 10 minutes... but after that, you realize why you don't play those style games anymore.... IMO.
Old 10-14-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked the Virtual Console catalog for the Wii to see if they have what you're looking for? There are a few gems there but Nintendo has been very slow in releasing a lot of games to the VC. I think we're only getting one a week at this point.

If they don't have what you want, it may make sense to just go the used console route.
Old 10-14-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The only old system worth buying, IMHO, is a SNES. All the other ones are fine via VC.
Old 10-14-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Truth is, I have all those "old school" games via MAME and they suck. They're fun for 5 or 10 minutes... but after that, you realize why you don't play those style games anymore.... IMO.
False.
Old 10-14-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I have been in the market for a couple of "old school" systems. In particular, I've been thinking about buying a Sega Genesis, a SNES & a NES along with some of my favorite games from my youth. I'm trying to weigh out the benefits of doing this rather than getting a Nintendo Wii and just downloading the games via Virtual Console.

I've been burned in the past, buying a Colecovision system lot off of ebay. It only worked in very short spurts and I ended up selling it for parts. I like the nostalgia aspect of playing on the original system, but considering the unreliability and lack of warranty - I'm not sure its worth it. Not to mention the mess of systems and cords as opposed to one streamlined device.

I was not crazy about paying $5 for NES, and $10 for N64 games, but unless you buy games in lots off of ebay, and once you factor in shipping, it seems like purchasing cartridges can be just as much.

I currently have a PS3 and 360. I enjoyed the Sega Genesis collection disc for PS3, but am doubtful that either system will ever have any NES games available. Anyone with experience with either classic consoles, virtual console or both have advice?
If you're interested in a Gensis or that old portable Sega unit (the name is escaping me) I have a unit I'm willing to part with.
Old 10-14-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

If you're talking specifically Wii's virtual console, I'd say it's better to just get the consoles themselves in practically every case. There are still huge gaps in each console's libraries and who knows when, if ever, those games will hit the VC. I'm a big fan of emulation, but there's something about playing the games on the actual systems. I don't have much in the way of old consoles, but I do have a C64 which gets a fair amount of use.

Does anyone remember when the forum was doing weekly MAME challenges? I thought that was a lot of fun (and for more than a few minutes).
Old 10-14-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Old 10-14-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Take a moment and go through Wikipedia and see what games you really want to play again on those systems. I did that...and because games like Super Dodgeball and Punchouts were released...I went the VC route and sold all my systems. The only games I don't have access (that I want to actually play and not for nostalgic reasons) are Contra (original) and any version of Sunset Riders. I think both will come eventually.

And on a side note, the saving system of the VC is amazing.
Old 10-14-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I could see going either way. For me the convenience of the VC and relatively cheapness would out weigh the ability to sell the stuff if you wanted to later. If you go with the originals do yourself a favor and avoid the rectangle NES controller. That thing starts to hurt after about 15 min.
Old 10-14-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Originally Posted by Groucho
It's cheaper to go with a used system, but it's more convenient to go with a virtual console since it takes up a lot less space.
Thats what I was thinking, but with the Wii price drop to $199, I can likely get a used one for under $150. I think the classic systems will probably cost me $50 each. I also think I may value the convenience of having everything in one place.

The thing is, I'm not really into new games. I use the PS3 for Blu-ray & media serving 95% of the time. The 360 was mainly to play online with my brothers and I use it mostly for Netflix streaming. I'd say the Sega Genesis Collection game has given me the most play this past year.

While I can see the benefit of having everything at your fingertips especially for curiousities that I would tire of quickly (F13 for NES, etc.), I'm not sure this is practical for me. I'd love to have one of those MAME systems in a cabinet, but I just wanna play games on a CRT TV in the basement and I wouldn't even know where to begin to find ROMS. Not to mention any ethical dilemas.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Have you checked the Virtual Console catalog for the Wii to see if they have what you're looking for?
I have, and while they don't offer everything I want, they do offer quite a bit of it (SMB1/2/3/W/M64, Zelda, Punchout, Ghouls n Ghosts, Super SW/ESB/ROTJ). I assume most of the popular NES/SNES/N64 games will make it up there eventually. Those games will likely never show up on XBLA or PSN. Some of the other games I'd be interested in like Ghostbusters for Genesis are unfortunately not available. Still others like Strider are rumored to be coming soon.

Originally Posted by The Bus
The only old system worth buying, IMHO, is a SNES. All the other ones are fine via VC.
Do SNES games not translate well on the VC? I figured N64 games might not b/c of the unique controller. While I'd like to play Mario 64 and Goldeneye, I'm not sure they'd be the same.

Originally Posted by Superman07
If you're interested in a Gensis or that old portable Sega unit (the name is escaping me) I have a unit I'm willing to part with.
I think its called Sega Nomad. Does this come with cables to allow you to hook it up to a TV?

Originally Posted by GoVegan
If you're talking specifically Wii's virtual console, I'd say it's better to just get the consoles themselves in practically every case. There are still huge gaps in each console's libraries and who knows when, if ever, those games will hit the VC. I'm a big fan of emulation, but there's something about playing the games on the actual systems. I don't have much in the way of old consoles, but I do have a C64 which gets a fair amount of use.
I figured that would be the case for Colecovision, as I don't realistically see those games being offered by other means.

Last edited by JackBurton; 10-14-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-14-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that Wii VC games are tied to your console, not to you. Some people have gotten Nintendo to transfer their games to a new Wii when the old one goes kaput, but YMMV.
Old 10-14-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Do SNES games not translate well on the VC? I figured N64 games might not b/c of the unique controller. While I'd like to play Mario 64 and Goldeneye, I'm not sure they'd be the same.
The odds of you ever being able to play Goldeneye on VC are very slim.
Old 10-14-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I checked, it's actually a Sega Game Gear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Game_Gear
Old 10-14-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I do both personally. I still have many of my classic consoles, but I have filled in my collection on the VC and some of the classic PSone games on PSN because it can be cheaper and easier to get some of the classic games there. Also the emulation is really solid on VC so I don't feel I'm missing much not having the original system for something like Mario RPG or Paper Mario.
Old 10-14-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would usually say PC, it's hard to go past having save states, especially for those irritatingly hard games.

Also, in my experience, you will churn through a ton of roms (er games) before you settle on anything you find worth playing. So, paying a lot of money up front for carts or even VC downloads may not be the best idea if you end up not being able to get into the game. Also, when it comes down to it, the retro games I always have the most fun with are the ones I used to own/play back in the day. A good game plus good memories equals the best experience. Even games that are meant to be classics, well if I approach them today for the first time, they often don't hold up.
Old 10-14-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
What's the difference?
Old 10-15-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

False.
Good argument. How many hours, hell even minutes per week do you play old school games? I'm not talking about rebooted games on Live either (like Pac Man CE).
Old 10-15-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good argument. How many hours, hell even minutes per week do you play old school games? I'm not talking about rebooted games on Live either (like Pac Man CE).
How many hours we play them doesn't matter. They are not boring and most of the great ones do hold up. I don't play them every week because none of us have that kind of time, but I do dip back into the classics from time to time and always enjoy it. I have spent the last two weeks playing Policenauts and I'm loving it. Great point and click adventure with crazy Kojima touches throughout. Talking really old, I've also played quite a bit of Galaga & Zaxxon lately and a ton of classic pinball machines in the Pinball Hall of Fame. Old games hold up to the new stuff just fine.
Old 10-15-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It depends on how much time you spend versus the amount you're spending. It's not like there's ever a shortage of good new releases to play so most of us are either taking away money or time from playing those. And, a lot of classic games don't hold up, that is a matter of opinion though.
Old 10-15-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer for the VC. I recently sold my Genesis 3 for $45 and my SNES for $50 and gave my NES away. Still unloading the rest of the games.

I like VC over the systems because it takes up less space and I got tried of having to fool with the old carts to get them in just right so they'll load up. And my systems were in pretty good condition. Also my controllers were getting old and sticking. My new Wii Classic Controller feels good and the controls are more responsive, although it took a little getting used to because of the chord going out of the bottom instead of the top and having to situate the wii mote somewhere. Also love the save system on the wii and the video looks smoother.
Old 10-15-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're ever in the Austin area there's a great classic games shop called 'Game Over Videogames' that carries everything from the Odyssey up to current consoles. They sell broken classic systems (that you can fix or use for parts) along with fully-working classic consoles and replacement parts (like a new 72-pin adapter for NES).

eBay is really your best bet if you want a refurbished or like-new classic console. I recently got an Atari 2600... in the original box... that had been used just a few times and then stored in the attic for ~25 years. In mint condition and they threw in a few games in their original boxes for $50, iirc. I already had quite a sizeable collection of 2600 titles from my younger years (I believe my mother trashed my original 2600 but kept the games when I got my NES).
Old 10-15-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I play and enjoy the old school games as much as current gen games.
Old 10-15-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will admit going weeks without touching a classic console... especially when I am really into some current-gen games.

But when I get into it... I can play something like Pitfall 2, Adventure, or Combat for hours on the 2600. Admittedly the SNES/NES get the most play time with all the classic RPGs, platform games, and generally ahead-of-their-time games on those systems.

Would Dreamcast be considered a "classic" system? What's the cut-off?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.