Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Demon's Souls (Original: PS3/Remake: PS5)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Demon's Souls (Original: PS3/Remake: PS5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Demon's Souls (Original: PS3/Remake: PS5)

To try to summarise:

You use the blue stone and a blue marker appears on the ground in your world. This marker will also be displayed in the worlds of other living players, like messages that you might leave. They can then select the marker and summon you into their world. You appear as a blue apparition and basically fight along side that player. Souls of any creature killed are divided evenly between the players and the total souls given for a kill is actually higher than when you play single player. Then, if you manage to beat the demon boss you will get your human form back. There's no real communication method other than a basic gesture menu which is a bit laggy, so not really used for anything other than an opening greeting.

If you die or the person who's world you're in dies, then you automatically get sent back to your world along with any souls you got. Therefore, successful or not, it's a great way to quickly amass souls. The only risk is if a black soul comes into the world. If the black soul kills you then you lose your souls. If the black soul kills the human player then you get sent back with no penalty. So you want to be careful about that. However, if you're helping another player out then it will at least be a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1. Also, if you're the one to kill the black soul then you'll get a nice reward of souls usually (and that player loses a soul level I believe).

Anyway, once you start aggressively pursuing the multiplayer part of the game, whether assisting others to get souls and learn about the level, or summoning others to help you, you'll find your rate of progress will speed up markedly. Have fun .
Old 01-17-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
To try to summarise:

You use the blue stone and a blue marker appears on the ground in your world. This marker will also be displayed in the worlds of other living players, like messages that you might leave. They can then select the marker and summon you into their world. You appear as a blue apparition and basically fight along side that player. Souls of any creature killed are divided evenly between the players and the total souls given for a kill is actually higher than when you play single player. Then, if you manage to beat the demon boss you will get your human form back. There's no real communication method other than a basic gesture menu which is a bit laggy, so not really used for anything other than an opening greeting.

If you die or the person who's world you're in dies, then you automatically get sent back to your world along with any souls you got. Therefore, successful or not, it's a great way to quickly amass souls. The only risk is if a black soul comes into the world. If the black soul kills you then you lose your souls. If the black soul kills the human player then you get sent back with no penalty. So you want to be careful about that. However, if you're helping another player out then it will at least be a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1. Also, if you're the one to kill the black soul then you'll get a nice reward of souls usually (and that player loses a soul level I believe).

Anyway, once you start aggressively pursuing the multiplayer part of the game, whether assisting others to get souls and learn about the level, or summoning others to help you, you'll find your rate of progress will speed up markedly. Have fun .
Thanks for the info! So, if I use the Blue Eye Stone while I'm in Soul Form, then I'm offering my aid to another living player, and if I use the Blue Eye Stone while I'm alive, then I'm asking for assistance. Is that right?
Old 01-18-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Thanks for the info! So, if I use the Blue Eye Stone while I'm in Soul Form, then I'm offering my aid to another living player, and if I use the Blue Eye Stone while I'm alive, then I'm asking for assistance. Is that right?
That's correct except that you can only use the Blue Eye stone when you're in soul form. When you're alive you need to look for the blue markers on the ground that are created by other players (who are in soul form). Clicking on the marker (like you would on a message or bloodstain) will bring the player into your world.

Players usually put down their blue markers close to the beginning of the level. You may need to hang round for a couple of minutes, either because the blue markers haven't filtered through to your world yet (like how sometimes messages take a while to show up), or maybe because there are no players waiting. There is also a rough kind of player matching where you probably won't see markers from players who are vastly higher in soul level than you.
Old 01-18-10, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

If the US version is anything like the import, you have to be within 10 levels to have any interaction with another player. Whether it be with the blue stone or trying to invade them.
Old 01-19-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanted to thank Chris D and noonan for the info. I tried out the co-op element of the game last night and it was pretty fun. I went with 1-2 since I was very familiar with it. The first guy I got paired up with was pretty clueless. We got to the first bridge, and he ran right out and got toasted by the dragon.

After he died, I used the Blue Eye Stone again, and luckily I got paired with a much more knowledgeable player the second time. The guy was significantly faster and stronger than me, so I mostly just ran support and distracted enemies while he decimated them. We beat the Tower Knight, and I learned a bit more about that boss's pattern while watching what the other guy did.

With that new knowledge, I was able to finally beat that boss back in my own game. Few gaming experiences are as rewarding as finally defeating one of the massive bosses in this game. My save file says that I've put 10 hours in, and I've only beaten 2 levels/bosses, but I don't feel at all like I've wasted any time playing this game. It might take me a long time to finish the whole game, but I think I'll have fun doing it.
Old 01-19-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I started playing while visiting family over the holidays. Was about 10 hours in and could not get past the end of the bridge in 1-2 with the 2 blue eyed knights and all the crossbowers.

And then I found out I couldn't carry my save back to NYC with me. Crap.

So now I'm starting over. Last time, I started as a wanderer. Seemed to be a pretty good rounded out character to start with. Is there something better to start with?

And any hints on the end of the 1-2 bridge? I think next time I might see if I can be fast enough to soul arrow everyone before the blue knights take me down.
Old 01-19-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
And any hints on the end of the 1-2 bridge? I think next time I might see if I can be fast enough to soul arrow everyone before the blue knights take me down.
If you apply Sticky White Stuff () or Turpentine to your weapon, the knights are easier to take down, at least if you tend to use physical weapons. One viable option is to just take out the group of archers quickly and then run/dodge right past the knights. Sure, you can kill them, but you don't have to.
Old 01-19-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The blue-eyed knights are very hard when you're at that stage of the game. My method was to sneak up once I knew I was clear of the dragon (I hadn't killed him yet at that point) and take out the archers with a bow before the knights saw me and charged. Took a few tries but I got through it.

That becomes a great level-up area at the beginning of the game. Warp to the 1-2 boss room and sneak up behind the two knights to take them out. I went back and forth maybe 15-20 times to build up souls for leveling and arrows.
Old 01-19-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad you enjoyed yourself UncleGramps. The good thing about the lack of voice chat is you can chuckle when someone screws up but you don't have to listen to anyone calling you a cockhead when you screw up. Generally players seem to be well mannered as well from what I've played. Have you seen a black phantom yet?
Old 02-02-10, 08:47 PM

Finished the game and am now on my New Game+. Still having fun!

Probably the best game in the general 'RPG' category that I have played.
Old 03-10-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Got this game at launch, but only recently had time to really get into it (ie: beating the first boss and starting the real game). Even though you can always reclaim your lost souls, you have to get back to the area where you lost it first, so it makes the first exploration of areas a bit of a challenge... last thing you want to do is get so deep in a level that you can't make it back. This is what initially turned me off to the game, until I found that you unlock shortcuts so you don't have to grind your way through monsters every single time.

So I've been slowly upgrading my weapons, farming sharpstones and the like, and felt like i was ready to take on the Tower Knight. Big mistake. Took out the archers, then tried to melee him and got destroyed. No problem getting back there, but my blood spot was in the boss room... so I ventured in, reclaimed it, killed the archers and quit so I could go look up some strategies. When I restarted, I was back outside of the boss room, with all my souls, so that was convenient. Any tips? I know you're supposed to either shoot him from afar or melee his foot, but with the spear locked onto his foot I had a hard time maneuvering, and I have a hard time hitting anything with the spear without locking on. Should I change weapons?

also, the only difference between starting classes are the levels, stats (which anyone can replicate), and equipment. I started off as a knight, which was nice because you get a good shield right from the beginning, but apparently the best class to start off with is a royal, since you start at level 1, get a good magic-replenishing accessory and spell, and can level up as you please. I have a hard time knowing what to level up too... common tips seem to say that luck is the worst, and I needed a strength of 22 to use the flame shield, but other than that I'm hesitant to spend the souls... I only have one miracle and no spells, so I haven't invested much into the magic-based stats, and I don't want to invest so heavily in the rest that by the time I need magic it's prohibitively expensive to level up.
Old 03-10-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the Tower Knight, I used arrows and soul arrow (which is sounds like you don't have yet) from the balconies once I took out the archers. All you have to do is attack, dodge his attack, and repeat. I got through that fight without getting hit once.
Old 03-10-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by noonan4224
For the Tower Knight, I used arrows and soul arrow (which is sounds like you don't have yet) from the balconies once I took out the archers. All you have to do is attack, dodge his attack, and repeat. I got through that fight without getting hit once.
I can get soul arrow, though I don't have the accessory that replenishes mp, so I'm not sure how many times I can use it. I guess I have to see how many arrows I need... the dragon took 150 to 200, is the knight stronger than that?
Old 03-10-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Soul Arrow is really the way to go from what I remember. It did much more damage than arrows, which I only used once I didn't have any MP left. Just try to have at least a few spices to replenish your MP and you should be okay. Each time you hit him he'll turn and attack you. Avoid the attack, move back to the edge of the balcony, and hit him again. It may take a while like the dragon but you should be able to make it through without much frustration.
Old 03-18-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Soul Arrow is really the way to go from what I remember. It did much more damage than arrows, which I only used once I didn't have any MP left. Just try to have at least a few spices to replenish your MP and you should be okay. Each time you hit him he'll turn and attack you. Avoid the attack, move back to the edge of the balcony, and hit him again. It may take a while like the dragon but you should be able to make it through without much frustration.
I beat the Knight a while ago, but wanted to thank you for your advice, magic really did do much more damage to him. Also beat all of the other -1 worlds, and am going to do 2-2 next, which I finally got to all black with a few suicides.

4-2 at the start is a great place to farm souls once you get a decent bow. And you can buy arrows right outside the door.

I actually enjoy spending all my souls, then having the freedom to go explore a new level without worrying too much about dying.
Old 04-30-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

33.99 + 10 credit from Amazon. That's almost cheaper than GH pricing (depending on which complex calculus formula you use to calculate game prices with gift cards, I'm not going to go into all that).
Old 05-30-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I purchased this game since it was $39.99 at Amazon.ca and having read this thread, I probably won't start playing it until I'm off on vacation in August.
Old 06-04-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

This game is $29.99 at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
Old 06-04-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised you're still able to find it at stores. This was one I figured would only be around for a few months. I would highly recommend picking this up at $29.99. Even at full price I considering one of the better game purchases I've made in a long time.
Old 06-04-10, 11:46 AM

I've been playing this for the past 5 weeks and loving it. Don't know how many hours I've put in, but I've played and restarted several different characters trying to find the best build. I couldn't tell you how many times I fought the red knight in 1-1 farming for souls or, later, ran around 4-1, 4-2 just trying out new weapons and soul farming. But I finally am nearing the end. Three nights ago I finished off world 3; two nights ago, world 4; and last night world 5. I've only got area 1-4 and the end game to go. Hope to finish my first playthrough tonight.
Old 06-04-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm surprised you're still able to find it at stores. This was one I figured would only be around for a few months. I would highly recommend picking this up at $29.99. Even at full price I considering one of the better game purchases I've made in a long time.
Unlike most Atlus games in the US, this one actually sold quite respectably.
Old 06-04-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very few console games are rare anymore, even Atlus games. The Demon Souls LE (same price as the regular edition but with a much needed mini-guidebook) did sell out pretty quickly, though.
Old 05-18-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Picked this up yesterday at target for $20. Played about two hours and died about four times. Playing as royalty. The strategy I'm using is to retreat when an enemy sees me, get out to an open area and blast him with a soul arrow. Or if I'm in a tight area roll around till I can hit them with my sword in the back. Regarding 1-1
Spoiler:
is there any way to reach the grassy fields where the dragons sleep without getting killed? I can see a ton of items but I'm too much of a pussy to get near them and end up waking them
Old 05-18-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...
Spoiler:
You can kill one of the dragons in 1-2, and I believe the other one is in 1-3. I was able to loot everything after killing the one in 1-2. You can look up some "strategies" (most are pretty cheesy) on how to kill them.

Royalty is a really good starting class template to use, makes the game ridiculously easy. Soul Arrow is way overpowered, but it causes me to sit around waiting for my mana to regen all the time.
Old 05-19-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Finished the first boss last night! What a satisfying experience. Had about 8,000 souls i was able to save and start leveling. now i'm just grinding 1-1 to upgrade my weapons and lvl up a bit before moving on. One thing that pisses me off is that there's no pause button wtf! That's just sadistic. And on the technical side i hate that it has copy protected saves. So now i'm freaked out if my fatty dies on me i lose my progress Why does Sony have to do that shit?!

How did you guess progress through the game? Did you do 1-2 or start on 2-1? I've heard some found it easier to do the first level of each world first.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.