DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Epic Mickey Wii / Fall 2010

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...r-1816369.html
Old 06-15-10, 03:31 PM
Banned

I don't remember hearing about this so called "mean" makeover for Mickey Mouse that Yahoo is reporting. Are the Yahoo crew talking out of their asses again?

Mickey Mouse's mean makeover erased from Wii game
AP

Buzz up!7 votes
* Send
o Email
o IM
o Facebook
o Twitter
o Delicious
o Digg
o Fark
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o StumbleUpon
o Technorati
o Yahoo! Bookmarks
* Print

In this video game image released by Disney Interactive, Mickey Mouse is shown in a scene from "Skull Island." (AP Photo/Disney Interactive) AP – In this video game image released by Disney Interactive, Mickey Mouse is shown in a scene from 'Skull …
Related Quotes Symbol Price Change
DIS 34.99 +1.06
^GSPC 1,115.23 +25.60
^IXIC 2,305.88 +61.92
By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer Derrik J. Lang, Ap Entertainment Writer – 2 hrs 7 mins ago

GLENDALE, Calif. – Mickey Mouse won't be bad in the upcoming "Epic Mickey" video game. He was just drawn that way.

Warren Spector, creative director of Disney Interactive Studios' Junction Point, said the beloved international icon won't transform into a snarling rat as originally planned for the game when players make mischievous choices, such as pilfering treasures from a store or erasing characters with thinner. Instead, Mickey will take on a smudgy look if he's naughty.

"We're not going to change Mickey's image so much," said Spector.

During a recent demonstration of the latest iteration of the upcoming Wii game that will be on display at this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, Spector said the decision to scrap the malevolent-looking Mickey was made following negative feedback during focus testing of the game, which features Mickey trekking through a cartoon wasteland.

"People don't like it when you mess with Mickey," said Spector. "We did a focus test that was really eye opening for me. There was a biker dude saying, 'Oh, I'd never play a Mickey Mouse game,' and then we showed him images of a changed Mickey. I was sitting there thinking, 'You're gonna love what we do,' but he said, 'No! Don't mess with my childhood.'"

"Epic Mickey" is set in a virtual world of wayward renditions of Disney locales, such as Adventureland and Skull Rock. Throughout the game, players will be faced with moral dilemmas about whether to help other characters. For example, should Mickey persuade a lovelorn pirate to give a bouquet of flowers or an ice cream cone to a lactose intolerant Henrietta Cow?

"Mickey constantly gets himself into trouble, not just in this game but in his films as well," said Spector.

After "Epic Mickey" appeared on the cover of Game Informer magazine last fall, several fans were outraged over Mickey's makeover. Others were later miffed that images of the game did not resemble the concept art. Spector said the images and art were never intended to show the final version of the game and that it was part of the "normal creative process."

"Sometimes you go too far to find out where too far is," he said.

Spector insisted that Mickey will maintain his traditional retro ensemble — yellow shoes, red shorts — throughout the game but will be surrounded by levitating little guardians that will glow a different color whether players employ more paint or thinner. He also teased there are a "cloud of possibilities" that will lead to multiple endings of "Epic Mickey."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/...es_epic_mickey
Old 06-15-10, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
I don't remember hearing about this so called "mean" makeover for Mickey Mouse that Yahoo is reporting. Are the Yahoo crew talking out of their asses again?
Considering they discuss it with Warren Spector and he all but confirms that earlier builds had a mean makeover, it doesn't sound like Yahoo is talking out of its ass.

Meanwhile ...

Screenshots here:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-...iler-released/
Old 06-15-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. This and Kid Icarus are at the top of my list from the show so far.
Old 06-22-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Photos of upcoming Wii accessories, stolen from Corvin's letters to Santa:

Old 06-23-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

That paint brush is awesome.
Old 06-23-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That paint brush is awesome.
I agree it looks pretty cool. But isn't it a nunchuck replacement? And don't you paint in the game with the Wiimote? I'm a little confused about that.
Old 08-13-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Warren Spector wants to make a Duck Tales Game

..and I want him to make one. Don't you?

DuckTales is my jam, ooOOOoooh. In fact, I'm all for all the Capcom and Disney games that featured the duck (or the mouse), especially back in the 8 and 16-bit era. My favorite? A Japan-only QuackShot port for the Sega Saturn, which I proudly show off to visitors. None of them seem to care, naturally. Well, Warren Spector would. I doubt he's ever coming over to see my Saturn Collection, but if he did, we'd play QuackShot, some Magical Drop, and then talk about how Epic Mickey could be on any console, and not just the Wii.

Spector is all about Capcom's classic and says that he would love to make another. He told Industry Gamers in an interview thatt, "A day does not go by where I don't tell somebody at Disney: 'Uncle Scrooge, come on! Donald! Huey, Dewey, and Louie! Come on, let me do a duck game!' So yeah, I would love to do a duck game."

Man, just thinking about this game makes me want to bust out the NES now.

http://www.destructoid.com/warren-sp....phtml#comment

I'll take one as well
Old 08-13-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

How is the Saturn Quack Shot different from the Genesis version? I loved that game.
Old 08-13-10, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83
Warren Spector wants to make a Duck Tales Game

..and I want him to make one. Don't you?

DuckTales is my jam, ooOOOoooh. In fact, I'm all for all the Capcom and Disney games that featured the duck (or the mouse), especially back in the 8 and 16-bit era. My favorite? A Japan-only QuackShot port for the Sega Saturn, which I proudly show off to visitors. None of them seem to care, naturally. Well, Warren Spector would. I doubt he's ever coming over to see my Saturn Collection, but if he did, we'd play QuackShot, some Magical Drop, and then talk about how Epic Mickey could be on any console, and not just the Wii.

Spector is all about Capcom's classic and says that he would love to make another. He told Industry Gamers in an interview thatt, "A day does not go by where I don't tell somebody at Disney: 'Uncle Scrooge, come on! Donald! Huey, Dewey, and Louie! Come on, let me do a duck game!' So yeah, I would love to do a duck game."

Man, just thinking about this game makes me want to bust out the NES now.

http://www.destructoid.com/warren-sp....phtml#comment

I'll take one as well
Two things would make a great DuckTales game:

1- do something similar to the incredibly awesome 5 part pilot episodes
2- have a sandbox style play in Duckburg, including a an Money bin that Scrooge can swim in.
Old 08-13-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
How is the Saturn Quack Shot different from the Genesis version? I loved that game.
It was just a "Sega Ages" disc containing the Genesis game along with Castle of Illusion.
Old 08-16-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IGN has the opening cinematic that's meant to debut at GamesCom tomorrow:

Spoiler:
<object id='vid_786198' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=epicmickey_trl_opening_081310&object=786198' /></object>
Old 08-16-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A hyper violent FPS trailer for Brink prior to the Epic Mickey vid? Epic Fail, IGN, Epic fail.

I know I've said it before, but the animation in Epic Mickey blows away any 3D Mickey stuff Disney has done to date. This cinematic was incredible. If all Mickey projects were handled this well, I could definitely embrace a 3D Mickey from here on out.
Old 08-16-10, 10:31 PM

No violent FPS ad for me, but the cinematic was too intense for my four-year-old. His impression : "I don't want you to play that game, Daddy. That game is terrible!".
Old 08-16-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

looks neat
Old 08-17-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
IGN has the opening cinematic that's meant to debut at GamesCom tomorrow:

Spoiler:
<object id='vid_786198' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=epicmickey_trl_opening_081310&object=786198' /></object>
Awesome!
Old 08-30-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=stitking-20
Old 08-30-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Average. It would have been a no brainer at $10 over retail, but $20 for some wii skins? I'd love the DVD and the Mickey statue, but LE pricing in general is out of hand.

They should have packed in the paintbrush nunchuck instead. Where is that, btw? I haven't seen a mention of it since the first photos at E3.
Old 08-30-10, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They should have packed in the paintbrush nunchuck instead. Where is that, btw? I haven't seen a mention of it since the first photos at E3.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=epic+wii+paintbrush+nunchuk
Old 08-30-10, 04:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Speaking of Quackshot...I used to play that game constantly but would always get stuck at one point.

Not that I'll ever play it again...But somewhere in the game, maybe a pyramid/egypt type level you exit a door and are on a ledge. On the far side of the screen is another ledge and another door. In between is air/canyon/death. I could never figure out how to get to the other side. After maybe 40 or so tries, I guess I just gave up.

How do you get past that?
Old 08-30-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's actually interesting. I checked amazon earlier and it doesn't show up on a simple "Epic Mickey" or "Epic Mickey Nunchuck" search. Also a google search of the same only turns up E3 threads.

So while your response was snarky it was pretty helpful.

So where's the link to the Wiimote holder?
Old 08-30-10, 04:16 PM

Dammit, I hate when my snarky responses are actually helpful.
Old 08-30-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, yeah, where's the wiimote holder?
Old 08-30-10, 04:26 PM

Ok, you got me there. But I'd expect it to pop up for preorder eventually.
Old 09-15-10, 10:01 AM

Epic Mickey making a splash on Wii November 30

Warren Spector's visually striking take on Disney's ancient rodent mascot, Epic Mickey, finally has an official release date. As revealed in a recent Entertainment Weekly article and confirmed to us by Disney, the paint-stained platformer will be released in North America on November 20. (CVG reports that the game will make its way to Continental Europe on November 25 and to the UK the following day.)

Entertainment Weekly also procured a new trailer for the game, which you can find posted just past the jump. Of all the pieces of promotional material released for the game thus far, we feel like this one might be the most deserving of its "Epic" designation.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6VpXSWtazTE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6VpXSWtazTE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.