DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Dragon Age: Origins thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/561747-official-dragon-age-origins-thread.html)

foxdvd 09-20-09 12:34 AM

Official Dragon Age: Origins thread

I searched, and did not find any threads about this, so if there is one I am sorry. I am really surprised that this game has not gotten a lot of talk here. When a studio that brought your Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect make a game how could you not get excited? My only hold up is if I am going to get the collectors edition or not.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.c...ectors-580.jpg

It is already sold out for the 360 at gamestop... I hate paying extra for something that ultimately will add little to the game, and a cloth map and soundtrack don't do it for me. The armor for Mass Effect 2 sounds like a gimmick. Thoughts??

nickdawgy 09-20-09 03:34 AM

Re: Official Dragon Age: Origins thread

I ordered the CE for $15 including tax and shipping thanks to the Sims Points deal awhile back.

foxdvd 09-20-09 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 9719759)
I ordered the CE for $15 including tax and shipping thanks to the Sims Points deal awhile back.

you suck!

This game seems to be the answer for those of us disappointed in Sacred 2!!!

JasonF 09-20-09 12:21 PM

This is one of those games that his been on my radar as coming out in the undefined future for so long that I lost track of the fact that we're only six weeks away from release. Very much looking forward to it.

foxdvd 09-20-09 09:51 PM

some QA from Bioware's Dragon Age site

What is Dragon Age: Origins?

Dragon Age: Origins is a dark heroic fantasy set in a unique world. As the spiritual successor of BioWare's popular Baldur's Gate series of games, it uses a pause-and-play tactical combat system. Play in over-the-shoulder mode, or the more tactical top-down view. Dragon Age: Origins features a stunning amount of cinematic dialog. Players will be able to acquire unique party members. These party members will have their own motivations for accompanying the player.

How many hours will it take to complete Dragon Age: Origins?

As with previous BioWare games, that will depend on how thoroughly you play the game, how much exploring you decide to do, or how many side quests you choose to engage. We think fans will be quite satisfied with the length of the main story arc. (I have heard over 100 hours to do everything)

What will be the level cap and what will be the level I could reasonably expect to attain during a play through?

Dragon Age Origins has the most story and gameplay content in any of our games since Baldur's Gate 2. As with all BioWare games, the final level your character will reach will depend on how much of the story you choose to experience. If you only do the core story, what we call the critical path, you will be at a lower level than someone else who does the critical path and many of the option side quests in the game. We expect most players to be between level 15 and 20 at the end of the game.

go to http://dragonage.bioware.com for more!

JasonF 09-20-09 10:36 PM

My biggest question is do I get it for the 360 or do I get it for the PC? These days, I prefer to game on the 360, but I want to hear about the controls before I decide which version to buy.

foxdvd 09-21-09 12:15 AM

You know what, this sort of slipped my radar as well for a while, and when the first videos started hitting the net, I was underwhelmed. Now the excitement is starting to build. In fact I am as excited as I was before Never Winter Nights 2 came out. I bought a new computer system just so I could play NWN2, and was sadly disappointed in the experience. (don't get me wrong, it was a good game, bugs and all, just not up to the first NWN or Baldur's Gate 1 and 2) Bioware has not let me down yet, and I have no reason to think they are going to start now.

As for which version, I will go with the 360. My computer is starting to show its age again, and I like my set up in my room with the 360. I have heard some people grumble about the control set for the 360/ps3, but I am sure Bioware will work them out before the game comes out.

foxdvd 09-21-09 01:17 PM

good read on the game

http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/...origins3-1.php

Groucho 09-21-09 01:18 PM

Interesting. Last time I read about this game it was PC only (that was some time ago). I had no idea that this was coming for 360 & PS3 as well.

foxdvd 09-21-09 01:37 PM

the above link really gets you excited if you are a Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 fan....

foxdvd 09-22-09 04:15 PM

Amazon just added a 10$ preorder gift certificate to the regular version, not the collectors...I hope they add this to the CE as well...

JasonF 09-22-09 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9721584)
My biggest question is do I get it for the 360 or do I get it for the PC? These days, I prefer to game on the 360, but I want to hear about the controls before I decide which version to buy.

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 9721732)
As for which version, I will go with the 360. My computer is starting to show its age again, and I like my set up in my room with the 360. I have heard some people grumble about the control set for the 360/ps3, but I am sure Bioware will work them out before the game comes out.

Some stuff on the controls I came across:

I played the game both on the PC and Xbox 360, and any PC RPG player will know what to expect. The Xbox 360 version is, of course, the wildcard and more interesting subject. Those planning on playing the console version will be pleased to know that the controls have been very nicely streamlined for those not fluent in mice and keyboards. The face buttons act as command hotkeys, with a press of the right trigger changing the buttons function and allowing for more commands. In total, you can hotkey six commands, with the other skills being selected from a wheel that you bring up with the press of a bumper. While obviously not quite as sprawling as the PC version, the console controls are nevertheless convenient and sensible. Certainly far more well designed than say, Oblivion was.
http://game.blogdig.net/archives/art...__Origins.html

What Should Stay The Same?
The Controls: The point of the demo was to prove the 360 can handle Dragon Age, and in terms of controls, it was convincing. Character movement is on the left stick. Characters could be switched with another button (a bumper, I believe). The controlled character could launch a default attack with a press of the A button or any of three special moves mapped to the other three face buttons. Holding the left trigger switched the association of the face buttons to three other special moves. Holding down the right trigger paused the action and produced a radial menu that allowed access to even more powers. This may not be as elegant as using a mouse to point-and-click, but, in my hands, it was easy to swap characters and swap powers. The only drawback, as noted above, was the lack of visual clarity as to when the attacks were being carried out, something that may be the byproduct of the demo being set several hours into the game.
http://kotaku.com/5313732/dragon-age...x-360-controls

These are definitely putting my mind at ease about going with the 360 version.

foxdvd 09-22-09 11:28 PM

Yeah the controls look to be fine on the 360...

On another note, the $10 GC at amazon is good ONLY for the regular edition. It now says so on the site. I canceled my pre-order of the collectors edition. Like I said above, 20 bucks more was pushing it, but 25-30 bucks more is just to much to ask for the collectors edition.

foxdvd 09-28-09 04:35 PM

making of video

http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazin...king-of-video/

edstein 09-28-09 05:22 PM

I loved Baldur's Gate I and II as well as Dark Alliance. I'd really love to play this game but, I'm not sure I want to get addicted to another 100+ hour game like I did with Oblivion.

foxdvd 09-28-09 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 9737503)
I'm not sure I want to get addicted to another 100+ hour game like I did with Oblivion.

That sounds EXACTLY what I want...

daniel18 10-01-09 03:50 PM

I'll get if it doesn't have unlimited enemy scaling like KOTOR, Oblivion, and Mass Effect on the easiest and hardest difficulties.

House 10-01-09 05:14 PM

Do you guys think this will be better than Sacred 2?

foxdvd 10-01-09 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by House (Post 9745370)
Do you guys think this will be better than Sacred 2?

I would put money on it....the company making this has made some of the greatest games of all time....while Ascaron, the maker of Sacred 2, has had some real duds over the years. I could be wrong of course, but this one smells of 9's and higher when reviews come out.

foxdvd 10-01-09 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by daniel18 (Post 9745141)
I'll get if it doesn't have unlimited enemy scaling like KOTOR, Oblivion, and Mass Effect on the easiest and hardest difficulties.

Mass Effect's scaling was much better than Oblivion, but the discussion board over at their web site is talking about a scaling range, not total scaling. So a rat might be 1-3 in level depending on your character, but cap out. I have not confirmed this though.

foxdvd 10-05-09 05:48 PM

new video at gametrailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/cr...57280?type=flv

DeepBlue 10-05-09 11:44 PM

Thanks for linking the video.

I am a big fan of Baldur's Gate I & II, and Dragon's Age is definitely a must buy for me. I will not buy collector's edition though, IMHO that's a little bit overpriced.

foxdvd 10-06-09 09:40 PM

Game Informer gave it a 9 out of 10

http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon...05/review.aspx

Dragon Fly 10-06-09 09:52 PM

This game wasn't even on my radar until about 3 weeks ago. I can't believe it slipped by me! It's a Bioware RPG, therefore I'm sold.

foxdvd 10-06-09 10:51 PM

that review just makes the over month long wait that much harder...ugh...

This sounds like an old Baldur's gate fans dream come true....