Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why are Developers so Frickin Stupid??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are Developers so Frickin Stupid??

For lack of a better thread title, my question has to do with wondering why developers just fail to produce the content that is in high demand. This question arose today when news broke that EA has no plans to release new maps of BF 1943. WTF?!?!?! That is the one game that gamers are dying for new maps. And yet we will only get to enjoy the same old four maps. They could make a killing on new maps.

Other puzzlements:

Blizzard's snubbing of Starcraft -

Yea, we know SC2 is coming someday, but it is sad to force gamers to wait over 11 freaking years for new SC content. I would argue that SC is a bigger franchise than Diablo and WC, yet Blizzard gave these games plenty of love. They could have released a quick expansion pack to SC and made millions.

No FFVII remake -

we dreamed, we wanted, just slap a new coat of paint on this classic RPG. But nooooo, Square has to spend time giving us forgotten titles like The Last Remnant

Xcom UFO -

this game is so good that PC gamers are turning a blind eye to the horrible graphics for the outstanding gameplay. Gamers have wanted a sequel or remake for so long, but looks it won't happen.

Duke Nukem Forever -

Hmmm, let's see, release a hugely popular franchise title that is really hyped, or drag our feet and work on the the unknown Prey. Prey sunk to bargain bin crap, and DNF won't see the light of day.
Old 08-21-09, 02:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Why are Developers so Frickin Stupid??

Yeah, those idiots at Blizzard clearly know nothing about making money. FOOLS
Old 08-21-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, and we need more sequels and remakes of games dammit!
Old 08-21-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Yeah, and we need more sequels and remakes of games dammit!
Doesn't matter, they'll just get delayed.
Old 08-21-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, those idiots at Blizzard clearly know nothing about making money. FOOLS

They bet the farm on World of Warcraft, and got lucky. SC would have been a safe bet.

WOW could have easily ended up in the trash heap of MMORPG. I expected Stars Wars or the Sims Online to be more huge than another fantasy game featuring Orcs.
Old 08-21-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Battlewhat?
Old 08-21-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

There's demand for more maps in BF 1943?

If they slap a new coat of paint on an older title, or release a sequel that is just more of the same, reviewers bash it and people bemoan the lack of innovation. Not every franchise can be run like a sports game franchise.

But who cares about quality? Churn out the crap, and do it faster! Go after the quick buck! That's the direction the game industry should go in. Stupid developers.
Old 08-21-09, 02:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I expected Stars Wars or the Sims Online to be more huge than another fantasy game featuring Orcs.
Why didn't Blizzard listen to you? Instead of billions, they could be making MILLIONS! FOOLS!!!
Old 08-21-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Doesn't matter, they'll just get delayed.
Helps keep the thread alive - or allows a new one to be created (and closed)
Old 08-21-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
There's demand for more maps in BF 1943?

If they slap a new coat of paint on an older title, or release a sequel that is just more of the same, reviewers bash it and people bemoan the lack of innovation. Not every franchise can be run like a sports game franchise.

But who cares about quality? Churn out the crap, and do it faster! Go after the quick buck! That's the direction the game industry should go in. Stupid developers.
More profit = more titles, more resource for better quality. Didn't you people argue that this is the reason companies have junk titles? Pretty hilarious that you hate my posts so much, you will disagree with anything I say. Believe it or not, BF 1943 is a very popular title.
Old 08-21-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got Prey off of Steam for cheap and actually thought it was pretty fun...
Old 08-21-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you really blame Blizzard for taking their time with such a high profile title as StarCraft II?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they did to a quick cash-in with an expansion, people would have bitched then too.

The idea they could have made the same game 4, 5, or more years ago is ridiculous. Everything I've seen of it looks to treat the franchise with the respect and dedication it deserves.
Old 08-21-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm much more excited for Diablo III then I could ever be for Starcraft 2.

And yes, WoW was probably the smartest commercial move they could have POSSIBLY made. I don't get your logic.
Originally Posted by Groucho
Why didn't Blizzard listen to you? Instead of billions, they could be making MILLIONS! FOOLS!!!
Old 08-21-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why must your thread titles be so flippant.

For lack of a better thread title, my question has to do with wondering why developers just fail to produce the content that is in high demand. This question arose today when news broke that EA has no plans to release new maps of BF 1943. WTF?!?!?! That is the one game that gamers are dying for new maps. And yet we will only get to enjoy the same old four maps. They could make a killing on new maps.
I hadn't heard that, but it does seem odd. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just the current statement, kind of like Sony had no plans of releasing a new ps3 or dropping the price. Of course they did, but it wasn't in their marketing plans to announce it now.

Other puzzlements:

Blizzard's snubbing of Starcraft -

Yea, we know SC2 is coming someday, but it is sad to force gamers to wait over 11 freaking years for new SC content. I would argue that SC is a bigger franchise than Diablo and WC, yet Blizzard gave these games plenty of love. They could have released a quick expansion pack to SC and made millions.
That could have also devalued the franchise. Part of Blizzards appeal and success is that they take time to do things right, and I think gamers respect a company that doesn't rush things out the door.

No FFVII remake -

we dreamed, we wanted, just slap a new coat of paint on this classic RPG. But nooooo, Square has to spend time giving us forgotten titles like The Last Remnant
Square has been milking this with spinoffs and rereleases. They've probably made more money teasing it than with a direct remake.

Xcom UFO -

this game is so good that PC gamers are turning a blind eye to the horrible graphics for the outstanding gameplay. Gamers have wanted a sequel or remake for so long, but looks it won't happen.
I think you're overestimating the audience for this. This game would be somewhat niche, unless somebody like Bethesda gave it a Fallout 3 production (speaking in budget terms not, gameplay).

Duke Nukem Forever -

Hmmm, let's see, release a hugely popular franchise title that is really hyped, or drag our feet and work on the the unknown Prey. Prey sunk to bargain bin crap, and DNF won't see the light of day.
Gamers moved on a long time ago, now every game character is snarky and full of baditude. Duke just wouldn't have the same appeal in todays market. Again I think you are overstating the appeal of the franchise.
Old 08-21-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

For lack of a better thread title, my question has to do with wondering why developers just fail to produce the content that is in high demand.
My question is, why do developers produce the same crap over and over again, thinking it is really in demand?

Madden-same shit, different year. Clone 2K5 and slap John's face on the box and it will sell bajillions!!

Sonic-really?? Give it up already.

Mario Kart-same game, different system, different system, different system, different virtual console, different handheld, different handheld...

Guitar Hero-More of the same broken game, broken vocals, and broken promises.

...etc...
Old 08-21-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
My question is, why do developers produce the same crap over and over again, thinking it is really in demand?
Money. If something continues to pull in revenue for them regardless of the critiques they will do it again.

Madden-same shit, different year. Clone 2K5 and slap John's face on the box and it will sell bajillions!!
Im not a sports game fan, but its just football. I mean the only thing holding back these games in previous decades was the graphics. Now ... what is there to add? You run pass or shoot to a teammate. There is nothing innovative about doing that now especially with online systems.

Sonic-really?? Give it up already.
I never was a Sonic fan but alot of people still are. Makes money so they will make more.

Mario Kart-same game, different system, different system, different system, different virtual console, different handheld, different handheld...
Money, money, money by the pound ...

Guitar Hero-More of the same broken game, broken vocals, and broken promises.
Now this has more to do with Neversoft not knowing the market. They thought they could apply their Tony Hawk mentality to the genre. They did. And exactly as a lot of people said they flooded the market with half-assed attempts at entertainment.

But look at Harmonix. They are a shining example of knowing what the hell you are doing and doing it right.
Old 08-21-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More profit = more titles, more resource for better quality. Didn't you people argue that this is the reason companies have junk titles? Pretty hilarious that you hate my posts so much, you will disagree with anything I say. Believe it or not, BF 1943 is a very popular title.
I wasn't trying to be snarky, I really had no idea that BF 1943 had a lot of demand. We do know that EA loves money, and that they love to nickel and dime you for downloadable content (most recent example: Madden), so I'm sure if bucketfuls of money were guaranteed, they would make the new maps.

The "junk" titles you propose would kill their highly successful, homegrown franchises. The "junk" titles that currently make money are the kid titles or licensed properties, where the product will sell based on name alone, and if the franchise gets devalued, at least it's owned by someone else.

Starcraft II is coming out soon, but I is still wildly popular, especially in tournament play abroad. Why dilute the market, and mess with the delicate balance of the game, by coming out with expansion after expansion?

Where the heck is my Herzog Zwei 2, anyway. I would buy it.
Old 08-21-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Dozens of movie games and guess what... no Watchmen, no Dark Knight, not even a game based on The Wrestler. Sad, sad.
Old 08-21-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee

Im not a sports game fan, but its just football. I mean the only thing holding back these games in previous decades was the graphics. Now ... what is there to add? You run pass or shoot to a teammate. There is nothing innovative about doing that now especially with online systems.
Here's the problem with EA. They make a crap load of different racing/need for speed games yet they only have one football game series Madden. If they want to start doing something different with the NFL License they should make a game called "NFL legends" Have past rosters go up against current rosters of teams. Imagine playing as the 1985 Chicago Bears against the 09 Bears. They could have old school stadiums, old team jerseys, and a ton of other cool modes. I'm not a huge sports fan but I'd imagine someone that's into Football would love that game and would sell like hotcakes. You could also apply it to the other Sports as well. I would acyaully buy a Basketball game if they made "NBA legends"
Old 08-21-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
Here's the problem with EA. They make a crap load of different racing/need for speed games yet they only have one football game series Madden. If they want to start doing something different with the NFL License they should make a game called "NFL legends" Have past rosters go up against current rosters of teams. Imagine playing as the 1985 Chicago Bears against the 09 Bears. They could have old school stadiums, old team jerseys, and a ton of other cool modes. I'm not a huge sports fan but I'd imagine someone that's into Football would love that game and would sell like hotcakes. You could also apply it to the other Sports as well. I would acyaully buy a Basketball game if they made "NBA legends"
???
They made NFL Street. They have an NFL Head Coach series. You can use legacy teams in Madden. I'm not sure if all the names are in there, or if their player association contract only covers current players. You want EA to milk a license more? I don't think I've ever heard someone state this before.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-21-09 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
???
They made NFL Street. They have an NFL Head Coach series. You can use legacy teams in Madden. I'm not sure if all the names are in there, or if their player association contract only covers current players. You want EA to milk a license more? I don't think I've ever heard someone state this before.
Crap i forgot about the NFL street series. Had no clue EA made that game. I never played that one. Is it similar to NBA street? I loved that series.
Old 08-21-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Square has been milking this with spinoffs and rereleases. They've probably made more money teasing it than with a direct remake.
Which is why it's not in their best interests to release a remake until after those spinoffs/re-releases/tie-ins stop generating the kind of profits they want. You release a remake now and you'll see interest in FFVII related material dwindle from where it is now.
Old 08-21-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree. Dozens of movie games and guess what... no Watchmen, no Dark Knight, not even a game based on The Wrestler. Sad, sad.
Huh? There is a Watchmen game, it was only downloadable originally, but you can now purchase it in a special set along with the BD movie....

Also, if Arkham Asylum is as good as the review scores it has been getting, then I have to say I really don't mind the fact that there was no Dark Knight game....
Old 08-22-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like someone's sarcasm meter needs to be checked.
Old 08-22-09, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No FFVII remake -

Well, certainly it would need more then just a "fresh coat of paint", I don't see it making much sense for SE to pump millions of dollars and thousands of hours into a remake of this caliber when the original is selling as well as it is PSN.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.