Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Game Franchises that Need to Die!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Game Franchises that Need to Die!

Let's face it, there are some game franchises out there way past their prime and suffering from overkill and saturation. Instead of enjoying fresh and new games, we are shovel the same ole goop year after year. Kill them now, and make room for the new guys.

Tony Hawk -

Is there anyone, ANYONE excited about the $150 dollar Tony Hawk game? Every year brings a new Tony Hawk game, and the genre is really tired and boring now. Tony, you were once exciting, but the glory days are gone.

Mega Man

Mega Man has been around forever. Even true fans would be hard pressed to list the many MM releases. Mega Man was great for it's day. It offered unique powers, and colorful art style on the NES. But times have changed, and the thrill is gone. Power off.

Dynasty Warriors

What are we up to now DW X? The game was fun for its time and a showcase for the PS2's power. Yet we keep getting the same game year after year.

Music Based Games

Yeah I know they are really popular right now, and bound to be around for a long time. The problem is the market is too saturated with this crap. The games take up huge real estate in the store, and the average consumer like me is confused on which plastic guitar works with which game. With all these games, developers could have been working on other cool fun games.
Old 08-20-09, 12:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Game Franchises that Need to Die!

"Music Based Games" is a genre, not a franchise.
Old 08-20-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Madden - Bring back the 2K's!!!!
Sonic
Old 08-20-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Tomb Raider
Mario Party
Sonic (in general)

Just IMO of course.
Old 08-20-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

None of the above.

Don't like em don't buy em and be amused by how far they have fallen.
Old 08-20-09, 01:58 PM

The continued sales of the above franchises (and others) are a big part of what allow publishers/developers to attempt new IPs. As a gamer, sure, I could do without a new Madden, Tony Hawk or Sonic game every year. But I'd rather those come out and do fairly well if I get to play stuff like Dead Space, Mass Effect and Bioshock as a result.
Old 08-20-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything with Mario.

Seriously it would be great to have a new Mario game come out and at the very end you get to play some evil character that kills Mario for good.
Old 08-20-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm all for killing off any franchise that continues to pump out new titles without any improvements to the gameplay or story developments to offer. Sports games are the worst in this regard (which is why I don't play them anymore). But as murray731 pointed out above, the quick bucks generated by pumping out the same shit year after year gives us the occasional game that's truly inventive and fresh, so I guess I'm ok with it.
Old 08-20-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Sonic (in general)
The Sonic stuff has been pretty rough, but I'm hoping the downloadable titles we're getting now will inspire Sonic Team to make an old school 2d Sonic again with pimped out graphics.
Old 08-20-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

MLB 2K series.
Old 08-20-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Tomb Raider is on hiatus because the team wants to revamp the whole franchise. I liked TR:U despite its flaws. Hopefully they take full advantage of the extra development time to create something truly unique rather than a slightly more polished offering of the last title.
Old 08-20-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
I'm all for killing off any franchise that continues to pump out new titles without any improvements to the gameplay or story developments to offer. Sports games are the worst in this regard (which is why I don't play them anymore). But as murray731 pointed out above, the quick bucks generated by pumping out the same shit year after year gives us the occasional game that's truly inventive and fresh, so I guess I'm ok with it.
Also explains why we have to endure summer game droughts with crappy movie based titles. My God, GI Joe was so bad that it got 3 out of 10 from Game Informer. At least Wolverine was good.
Old 08-20-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Need for Speed franchise has went downhill

The last one I remember being any good was Most Wanted, which was a launch title for 360
Old 08-20-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Guitar Hero

I get all the "dicking around with fake plastic instruments" gaming excitement I need from Rock Band, which is a superior platform focused on quality and diversity of DLC, better gameplay, and a slicker, more intuitive interface. GH just floods the market with titles beyond the point of idiocy. (Yes, The Beatles: Rock Band is a separate game, but it's THE BEATLES. I can live with that)
Old 08-20-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First one that came to mind was Madden. I don't have any problems with multiple franchise games but with Madden it's taking away from a possible superior football game.
Old 08-20-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Madden

Amazes me that anyone still buys it.
Old 08-20-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guitar Hero
Old 08-20-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Final Fantasy
Old 08-20-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is Pokemon dead? That would be my answer.

As for Guitar Hero, I want it to still exist because it pushes Rock Band to be better. I know some of you will laugh and say there's no comparison, but I bet the developers respect the competition and are that much more motivated to put out a superior product.
Old 08-20-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Final Fantasy
+1

The last great game in that series was VI. A real classic and I love the story. Sadly, the series seems to have peaked right there.

VII was good but hardly the classic everyone seems to think it is.

VIII was terrible. It was like playing Final Fantasy: One Tree Hill.

I really enjoyed IX. It was a nice throwback to earlier games in the series.

X was pretty good but for some reason I never got around to finishing it. And I was right at the end. I think some other game drew my attention away because I don't remember growing bored with this game. I'm gonna have to go and finish it.

X-2 was very entertaining even if the plot was pretty much pointless fluff.

I skipped XI.

XII was such a bore. It's there in my room collecting dust. It was like someone remade the OT but with the dry overly serious tone of Episode II.

XIII looks very blah to me. I can't seem to feel any enthusiasm for it. All the trailers, articles, and pictures do nothing but inspire a disinterested shrug from me.

Since I don't play MMORPG's, I'll be skipping XIV.
Old 08-20-09, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Guitar Hero

I get all the "dicking around with fake plastic instruments" gaming excitement I need from Rock Band, which is a superior platform focused on quality and diversity of DLC, better gameplay, and a slicker, more intuitive interface. GH just floods the market with titles beyond the point of idiocy. (Yes, The Beatles: Rock Band is a separate game, but it's THE BEATLES. I can live with that)
Amen
Old 08-20-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Is Pokemon dead? That would be my answer.
I would hate it if they did away with Pokemon. I never thought it would happen but I really like Pokemon, as do all my kids. It is such a good fit for the DS that I can enjoy playing it any time. I just wish they would update the entire format a little more instead of just remaking the same game over and over.

Diamond and Pearl were the same just with the legendary being different. Then Platinum was the same thing as those two with just a few minutes of extra play in the distortion world to get a pokemon you could get in diamond and pearl. Now they are remaking two of the older ones since the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot. That said, I did put in over 100 hours on each Pearl and Platinum and still use them with the kiddos on battle revolution.