Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Remake of SH1) -- October 2009 for Wii, PS2, PSP

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Remake of SH1) -- October 2009 for Wii, PS2, PSP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cBlYK5T5hj0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cBlYK5T5hj0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

From Konami's Official Website: http://www.konami.com/games/shsm/
Description

The story follows Harry Mason, who wakes up after a car accident to find that his daughter Cheryl is missing. Harry will wander the snowy streets of Silent Hill searching for answers of her disappearance, but when the world freezes over, he will need to escape the lumbering demons that haunt his steps. Harry will need to navigate both worlds to discover the truth; not just about his missing daughter, but also the type of person he actually is.

Silent Hill's debut on the Nintendo Wii makes the fear more real than ever before. Players will be drawn into the mysterious town using the Wii Remote as a flashlight and a cellphone as they search for clues. Choices they make will shape Harry Mason, as well as the people he meets and the places he visits. The enemies evolve as well, taking the form of the player's deepest fears. Silent Hill promises to be more terrifying than ever, also bringing the fear to PS2 and PSP.

Product Features

* A re-imagining of the original Silent Hill that turns everything you thought you knew on its head.

* The game watches you and adapts to your actions to create a unique experience to each player and intensify their fears.

* Implementation of a cell phone as the user interface, which acts as a story telling device, map, puzzle helper, and camera that provides seamless flow with no interruption in gameplay.

* New nightmare sequence focus on escape and evasion rather than direct confrontation.

* Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will feature an all-new soundtrack by acclaimed series composer Akira Yamaoka.
Old 08-13-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Remake of SH1) -- October 2009 for Wii, PS2, PSP

No 360 or PS3 release?
Old 08-13-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Remake of SH1) -- October 2009 for Wii, PS2, PSP

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
No 360 or PS3 release?
Never played the original. I suppose I could get the PS2 version to run on my PS3, but why don't they just release it on current HD systems?
Old 08-13-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Never played the original. I suppose I could get the PS2 version to run on my PS3, but why don't they just release it on current HD systems?
Though I don't agree with this, seeing as how I'd love me some high-def Silent Hill remake action and find the series' narrative and mood highly returnable, I think their non-HD logic seems sound:

People have already played Silent Hill, which is a series that shares little replay value due to the lack of concentration on combat and heightened focus on unnerving atmosphere and storytelling. Fans of the series have grown accustomed to playing the games in standard-definition for quite a while, which admittedly looks rather good when upscaled on the PS3. In that, a restructured PS2 remake will be enough for them, while sporting a $30 price tag instead of $50 or $60 for a game that likely replicates similar scare tactics and dialogue around every corner. Check.

Now, there's a new system that ALSO operates on 480p with Nintendo's Wii. Konami and their development team have come up with a few atmosphere-enhancing gimmicks for the control scheme, which gauging by the accolades on Konami's website seemed to go over pretty well at E3. It's targeting the adult Nintendo audience, which may or may not have played the Silent Hill games and are likely aching for a Mature-rated title. $50 per title there for a system that's never seen a Silent Hill game. Check -- sorta, kinda, maybe.

Both of those can be developed with like-minded 480p graphic schemes and carry low-ish price values. Since Origins sold fairly well and Homecoming was kind of 'meh' for most (though I thoroughly enjoyed it), it seems like a safer choice to develop for a lower cost instead of a bigger roll-of-the-dice for a remake. As I said, I'd love to get my hands on a revamped Silent Hill 1 in high-definition, but it'll satisfy me and my wallet fine enough to see it polished for the 480p generation of consoles.

Maybe it'll be released on XBLA after the title's been out for a while.
Old 08-13-09, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I could see myself picking up the PS2 or PSP versions of this. Unless the Wii controls are just awesome.
Old 08-13-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Though I don't agree with this, seeing as how I'd love me some high-def Silent Hill remake action and find the series' narrative and mood highly returnable, I think their non-HD logic seems sound:

People have already played Silent Hill, which is a series that shares little replay value due to the lack of concentration on combat and heightened focus on unnerving atmosphere and storytelling. Fans of the series have grown accustomed to playing the games in standard-definition for quite a while, which admittedly looks rather good when upscaled on the PS3. In that, a restructured PS2 remake will be enough for them, while sporting a $30 price tag instead of $50 or $60 for a game that likely replicates similar scare tactics and dialogue around every corner. Check.

Now, there's a new system that ALSO operates on 480p with Nintendo's Wii. Konami and their development team have come up with a few atmosphere-enhancing gimmicks for the control scheme, which gauging by the accolades on Konami's website seemed to go over pretty well at E3. It's targeting the adult Nintendo audience, which may or may not have played the Silent Hill games and are likely aching for a Mature-rated title. $50 per title there for a system that's never seen a Silent Hill game. Check -- sorta, kinda, maybe.

Both of those can be developed with like-minded 480p graphic schemes and carry low-ish price values. Since Origins sold fairly well and Homecoming was kind of 'meh' for most (though I thoroughly enjoyed it), it seems like a safer choice to develop for a lower cost instead of a bigger roll-of-the-dice for a remake. As I said, I'd love to get my hands on a revamped Silent Hill 1 in high-definition, but it'll satisfy me and my wallet fine enough to see it polished for the 480p generation of consoles.

Maybe it'll be released on XBLA after the title's been out for a while.
I can understand if they don't want to spend the money to make a good HD game, but there's no need to spin it by saying the fanbase is used to SD and that upscaling is fine. Gee, I guess games like GTAIV, Halo 3, Burnout Paradise, and Metal Gear Solid 4 should have been SD because their fans were so used to it? It also doesn't help that the upscaling he touts won't happen on quite a few of the PS3s out there, and there is still no word on if or when backwards compatibility will return.

I think they should have done something like the Lego games, which are pretty much made for SD systems but at least are sharper on the HD systems. Maybe eventually they will.
Old 08-13-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Apparently the flashlight, controlled by pointing the Wii-Mote, has alot to do with exploration and the changed up environments. At least thats what I read on IGN. If thats true count me in for this.

For me, I don't need a high definition Silent Hill, the crummy graphics and filter actually suck me into that atmosphere even more...but hey different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-13-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Drexl
Gee, I guess games like GTAIV, Halo 3, Burnout Paradise, and Metal Gear Solid 4 should have been SD because their fans were so used to it?
Well, bear in mind that those are all sequels, while this will be a story that has a) already been played once, and b) many PS2/PS3 owners still have in their collection. If Konami had released Homecoming as a PS2-only game, I would have shared your reaction. But it also brings up the question as to whether you'd be more willing to drop $50-$60 list on a remake of the first Grand Theft Auto or Metal Gear Solid, games you've played before, or $20-30 on a less-impressive PS2 rendition. Depends on the gamer.

You do bring up a good point, as I forget sometimes that current PS3 models aren't PS2 compatible.
Old 08-13-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been talking about this game coming out since 2006. It's finally here!

I think Konami had a deal with Nintendo to keep this one with the Wii. Remember Homecoming was pushed for the 360/PS3.

I have two comments on the actual game.

1.) I hope they show another trailer soon. Go on Youtube and check out all of the Silent Hill trailers from the previous games, they have always been epic IMO. This one seems a little lame by comparison. I'm still buying this day one though. The score is going to be great as always.

2.) I wish it was HD as well but regardless, look what Capcom gave us with the Resident Evil remake. That game was awesome without being HD.
Old 08-13-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
No 360 or PS3 release?
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
The real reason why it's not on the HD systems:

Konami released 'Silent Hill: Homecoming' for the HD consoles and no one bought it.
Old 08-13-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I thought Homecoming did decent numbers. Did it really sell so poorly?
Old 08-14-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to this one - going to snatch it up for the PS2.
Old 08-15-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool box art:

Old 08-15-09, 06:13 PM

I have Silent Hill 2 (greatest hits with the extra content), Silent Hill 3, and Silent Hill 4. I know the game isn't out yet, but do you think it would be ok if I played this in place of the original Silent Hill, followed by playing 2, 3, and 4? The prices I see for the original are a little more than I'd like to pay for a used Playstation 1 game.

Also, how was Silent Hill Origins?
Old 08-15-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All that really matters is that you don't play 3 before 1. 3 is a direct sequel to 1. 2 is a standalone that I believe was briefly referenced in 4.
Old 08-15-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CreatureX
Cool box art:

Very nice.
Old 08-16-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doctor Zoidberg
I have Silent Hill 2 (greatest hits with the extra content), Silent Hill 3, and Silent Hill 4. I know the game isn't out yet, but do you think it would be ok if I played this in place of the original Silent Hill, followed by playing 2, 3, and 4? The prices I see for the original are a little more than I'd like to pay for a used Playstation 1 game.

I have nothing to base this on, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the first Silent Hill pop up on PSN one of these days...
Old 08-16-09, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctor Zoidberg

You're not going to want to hear this, but it looks like if you're going to want to follow the Silent Hill story across all the games, you're probably going to need to get the original. Based solely off the previews, it looks like Shattered Memories is making a lot of "changes", which (possibly) won't fit with SH3 and Origin.
Old 08-16-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really wish there was a PS3 and 360 version of this.
Old 08-17-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool cover. But I don't remember any ice in the original.....
Old 12-07-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Amazon has the PS2 and PSP versions listed with a new streetdate of January 31, 2010. However, the Wii version still has the December 8th date, effectively tomorrow -- and a few reviews are up on Metacritic. Has anyone spotted this out in the wild?
Old 12-07-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So apparently you can't defend yourself in the game, you just run away when you see the ice. Literally, thats it. Enemies chase you and you run away until they stop. Harry has no weapons aside from his wits.

Not sure about that, wasn't a big fan of Clock Tower
Old 12-08-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eurogamer gave the Wii version a 9 out of 10! From their very in-depth review:

It has been a rocky road getting Silent Hill back on track after the unexplained decision to remove development duties from the original Team Silent, but with Shattered Memories, Climax has found its feet in some style. Packed with inventive ideas and one engaging sequence after another, it's a spirited, poignant and unsettling game that not only delivers a long-overduereturn to form, but reinvigorates horror adventures in the process.
source: Eurogamer.com
Old 01-07-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else playing this? I'm about 4 or 5 hours in and loving it. I always enjoyed the atmosphere and the setting of Silent Hill games, but I could never get past the clunky controls, bad combat, and nonsensical puzzles.

The fact that they stripped all of that out to focus on the disturbing environments and the psychological elements of the story have resulted in a Silent Hill game that I will actually finish. The tests and interviews that the psychologist administers are really interesting and provide a nice break from the tension of the main game.

I also like all of the side stuff that you can investigate - phone numbers in the environment that you can call up, the hidden "ghosts" to photograph, and the "emotional hot-spots" that you have to hone in on. Those moments reveal some really disturbing side plots, with a lot of things inferred but never explicitly stated outright.

It's nice to see an actual mature game on the Wii; one that focuses on adult themes instead of gratuitous violence or nudity. It really takes advantage of the Wii remote's motion controls (the flashlight movement and the simple puzzles) and speaker (which functions as your cell phone in the game). Highly recommended, though you may want to rent it if you're on the fence due to its somewhat divisive nature and the supposedly short time it takes to play through it.
Old 01-07-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a really underrated game. Definitely one of the best games to come out in 2009.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.