Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy matching others' USED prices on NEW games!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, $5 is $5. But if it helps drop the price of used games to get BB to stop this, I don't think anyone will complain

http://kotaku.com/5332358/best-buy-n...s-on-new-games

Electronics retailer Best Buy is firing a shot at competitors GameStop and Game Crazy, offering a price match guarantee on video games that would match prices on new titles against other retailers used prices. Yeah, that is awesome.

One Cheap Ass Gamer snapped this photo highlighting the promotion at a West Jordan, Utah area Best Buy. The offer boasts that the store "now price matches NEW video games at USED prices from Gamestop or Game Crazy." GameStop's used pricing tends to be about $5 less than the retail price on new releases, a decent savings on brand new games, but not out of line with pre-existing deals offered by Best Buy.

We're currently waiting to hear back from Best Buy on the finer details of the promotion. It's not clear how many of Best Buy's retail locations are offering this price match guarantee. Obviously, we'll let you know if this is just a test and just how this program will work.

If this policy rolls out at Best Buys nationwide, it's possible that it could impact GameStop and Game Crazy's used game sales business, but maybe not as substantially as some might hope.
Old 08-07-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy matching others' USED prices on NEW games!

I don't see this working out too well for BB if they price match some of the used deals of the week Gamestop does.
Old 08-07-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

For some older used releases that Gamestop prices pretty low and that Best Buy still keeps in the $40-50 range, this isn't a bad deal at all.
Old 08-07-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Best Buy normal pricematching is already a hassle. I assume you need some kind of competitor's ad (which is relatively rare), or they're going to be on the phone with Gamestop a lot (and Gamestop employees love answering calls about used game prices).
Old 08-07-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm so glad I don't have these BB PM Nazis the rest of the world has
Old 08-07-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm so glad I don't have these BB PM Nazis the rest of the world has
Nazi or not, they're not just going to take your word for it that Gamestop sells a new game for 20 bucks used. Maybe they'll look it up online, but that opens another can of worms, I would think.
Old 08-07-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Matching prices has never been a problem for me. They have even matched the TRUS Buy 2 Get 1 Free on PS3 games more than once. They've even matched promotions from Staples and Office Depot on electronic devices where they include something else like a HDD hub and case for free. Let's wait and see how this plays out before we bitch about it. Hell, I'll take the five dollars difference in price if that is all we get.
Old 08-07-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

So I could get an AA-title new release for $55 + tax at Best Buy vs Amazon for about $48 after ECA discount with no tax? Thanks but no thanks. I'll still preorder everything that comes with a decent bonus though (I just did Uncharted 2 for the MP gold guns and Halo ODST for the Sarge DLC).
Old 08-07-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Nazi or not, they're not just going to take your word for it that Gamestop sells a new game for 20 bucks used. Maybe they'll look it up online, but that opens another can of worms, I would think.
What I find works, without question, is having a receipt. Gamestops are everywhere and they have a full-price return window, don't they? (I ask because I honestly don't know). There's bound to be one right by a Best Buy. Just buy what you want at GS and then take the receipt to BB and have the CS desk match it.

You can even return the item to GS as soon as you buy it just to get the receipt.

This works for me every time. There's no calling stores for stock. There's no scrutinizing ads. It's right there in black and white.
Old 08-07-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What I find works, without question, is having a receipt. Gamestops are everywhere and they have a full-price return window, don't they? (I ask because I honestly don't know). There's bound to be one right by a Best Buy. Just buy what you want at GS and then take the receipt to BB and have the CS desk match it.

You can even return the item to GS as soon as you buy it just to get the receipt.

This works for me every time. There's no calling stores for stock. There's no scrutinizing ads. It's right there in black and white.
I apologize that this is going off topic, but you buy the item at Gamestop, return it to get a receipt, then buy it at Best Buy to pricematch? In this case I guess you get a new product instead of a used one, but in most cases, why not just keep the first item you bought? RZ points?
Old 08-07-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't buy used, so I don't buy at Gamestop (hence why I don't know their return policy).

My examples typically come from TRU where they give gift cards and/or % off. RZ points help, yes, especially if you're in the Gamer's Club which makes every game purchase approximately quadruple points.

For example, when Ghostbusters came out. TRU gave you a $20 GC for each copy. Also that week they had a "buy 1 console game, get another console game 20% off" deal.

I stacked a 360 and Wii version of Ghostbusters and my receipt looked like this:

360 - $39.99 ($59.99 - $20)
Wii - $15.99 ($39.99 - $20 - 20%)
GCs - $40.00

I returned those items at TRU and they cashed out the $40 GC. I took that receipt to BB and got the same price on the games w/o having to be out the $40 in GCs I didn't really want. Plus I got 56 regular RZ points (1/5 of $5) and 56 RZ-GC points (1/3 of $10). If you buy at BB first and get the price adjustments on the receipt you can save another 10% of the difference in each game (in this case, it would have been another $4.40).

I then sold the Wii version on Half for, I think, $21 after fees.

Now, is this going to be worthwhile for every $5 deal? No, absolutely not. But I do do this and all I ever need is a receipt. So the whole point was me giving one more way to get a PM at BB.
Old 08-07-09, 07:03 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It would not surprise me if Best Buy was working with game companies to cut into used game sales. I could see game companies working with big chains to work something out so that new games would sell for used prices if it meant them getting some of that money instead of gamestop getting all of it.
Old 08-07-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The GS return policy, last time I bought a game, was returns (not just exchanges) allowed on all used stuff within 7 days. That's worth more to me than the potential 4% cashback--eventually--in RZ points.

I buy used, and I'm also not going to make four trips back and forth to various stores to save ten bucks or whatever.

That's a good point, they might well be incentivized by the game companies to try to move some of the dollars away from used sales.
Old 08-07-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dtcarson
The GS return policy, last time I bought a game, was returns (not just exchanges) allowed on all used stuff within 7 days. That's worth more to me than the potential 4% cashback--eventually--in RZ points.

I buy used, and I'm also not going to make four trips back and forth to various stores to save ten bucks or whatever.
You're doing both of these wrong. I make no more than 1 stop to any store. And my point earlier, which you're well aware, is that there's a GS everywhere. I can't think of a BB w/o a GS in throwing distance.

I'm getting 8.67% on my BB gaming purchases, so your 4% is a little off. Whatever

Simple math if I spend $750 that's 3 $5 certs and 5 $10 certs. $65/$750 = 8.67%
Old 08-07-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't buy used, so I don't buy at Gamestop (hence why I don't know their return policy).

My examples typically come from TRU where they give gift cards and/or % off. RZ points help, yes, especially if you're in the Gamer's Club which makes every game purchase approximately quadruple points.

For example, when Ghostbusters came out. TRU gave you a $20 GC for each copy. Also that week they had a "buy 1 console game, get another console game 20% off" deal.

I stacked a 360 and Wii version of Ghostbusters and my receipt looked like this:

360 - $39.99 ($59.99 - $20)
Wii - $15.99 ($39.99 - $20 - 20%)
GCs - $40.00

I returned those items at TRU and they cashed out the $40 GC. I took that receipt to BB and got the same price on the games w/o having to be out the $40 in GCs I didn't really want. Plus I got 56 regular RZ points (1/5 of $5) and 56 RZ-GC points (1/3 of $10). If you buy at BB first and get the price adjustments on the receipt you can save another 10% of the difference in each game (in this case, it would have been another $4.40).

I then sold the Wii version on Half for, I think, $21 after fees.

Now, is this going to be worthwhile for every $5 deal? No, absolutely not. But I do do this and all I ever need is a receipt. So the whole point was me giving one more way to get a PM at BB.
I'm an engineer and generally good at math but this post just made my head hurt.
Old 08-07-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh, our used is still a way better deal. You can return it after playing it/beating it/hating it within a week. And the EDGE card knocks it down to $49 for newer used titles.
Old 08-08-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Meh, our used is still a way better deal. You can return it after playing it/beating it/hating it within a week. And the EDGE card knocks it down to $49 for newer used titles.
Except the Edge card isn't free.
Old 08-08-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Except the Edge card isn't free.
It's like $15 and comes with a magazine subscription. Not a bad deal at all.
Old 08-08-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

And 10% or more bonus on trade-ins, I think. Usually not a great deal but you can maximize the deals.
I don't generally spend 750$ in cash on games in a year anyway, so I get individual games at the place with the best price (or by trading online with other users.)
I think the last game I bought at Best Buy was Scene It BOS when it was on sale. I missed the Mercs 2 and Pure deals, and Circuit City had better offers on some newer games.
Old 08-08-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, $750 isn't what I spend, it was just the lowest common denominator between the $150 and $250 threshold to make the math simpler

I never buy a game without the best deal either. I just don't buy used and I don't sell my games back to a re-seller, so that's why I have my method.
Old 08-08-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the main win in this situation is not ever having to walk into a Gamestop again.
Old 08-08-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
It's like $15 and comes with a magazine subscription. Not a bad deal at all.
Wasn't it mentioned that the magazine subscription (G.I.) might be cut from the edge card enrollment? If that happens then there is no way in hell I would pay 15 bucks for that Edge card.
Old 08-08-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

this is going to be a bitch for them to monitor, unless they go by the Gamestop website price for used titles. Gamestop stores vary on used prices even within a few miles of each other. Sort of annoying, really. Partially why I rarely buy used games.
Old 08-08-09, 03:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gamestop varies on used prices? They didn't when I worked there. It's more likely that some stores are better at changing the stickers on price changes than others.
Old 08-08-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
And 10% or more bonus on trade-ins, I think.
and if you bypass GS altogether you can generally get 25%+ more by going the half/amazon route.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.