DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: XBLA Thread Part 400 - Pinata's got a brown nose

I liked the achievement for remapping the controls
Old 07-22-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The look and style of 'Splosion Man reminds me a lot of Cloning Clyde, which was a very underrated XBLA game.
Old 07-22-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That south park game looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-22-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Shadow Complex footage:

<object classid="clsid:<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/20eba0c4/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/20eba0c4/" width="437" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_20eba0c4"></embed></object>

And the achievements:

Spoiler:
* LET'S GET PUNCHY: Melee 5 soldiers (15)
* BOMBA PUNTER: Punt 20 Bombas (20)
* MY HEAD A-SPLODE: Get 50 head shots (20)
* MAKE 'EM SCREAM: Get 100 soldiers to scream (20)
* TO KILL A BLACKBIRD: Destroy the helicopter attacking the Vice President (15)
* LOOK OUT!: Kill a soldier with a Bomba (5)
* WALKIN' ON WATER: Make it from one end of lake to the other in hyper-speed (5)
* HERO: Complete the game on any difficulty setting (50)
* COMPLETIONIST: Complete the game with 100% of the items (20)
* MINIMALIST: Complete the game with less than 13% of the items (10)
* PROVEN GROUNDS: Complete the Proving Grounds (10)
* SERIOUS COMPLEX: Level-up to experience level 50 (10)

Is it August 19 yet?
Old 07-22-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm... No apparent achievement for a speed run.
Old 07-22-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After playing the amazing Monkey Island update (especially with all the times the word "Melee" was said) and Mass Effect, I can't help but desire to see Star Control II brought to XBLA. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The single-player experience was epic and would make for a great game by itself. Coupled with an updated online multiplayer Melee mode with 4, 8, or even 16 players going at it would be incredible.

You'd think this wouldn't be so far off with the effort that's gone into the Sourceforge revival of The Ur-Quan Masters, this would be pretty simple to do.
Old 07-22-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'Sploded my way through the first 10 levels. Still fun. It really is amazing the challenge that can be presented using such a simple mechanic.

Missed cakes on 1-8 and 1-10
Old 07-22-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pinata I was playing the same time. This is the first game that I bought while playing the demo and got the first achievement and it asked me to unlock. This is fun but it will obviously have annoying levels . This will be a game that I play once in awhile not every day because it would just make me mad.
Old 07-22-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
I liked the achievement for remapping the controls
I like this one:
Not a Portal Reference
Collect all 47 cakes in Single Player mode.

And I find it funny that this one rates a registered trademark:
Omaha Steaks®, Delicious!
Create 5,000 filets.

Did someone from the company see the game before they okayed that one?
Old 07-22-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kotaku's got some neat charts and discussion: http://kotaku.com/5320178/the-rising...-of-xbla-games

This was what the thread title was supposed to be about until someone thought he'd try to be funny.

The average price of Xbox Live Arcade games on the Xbox 360 has risen by a $1.74 since the Xbox 360 launched in November of 2005, according to Kotaku's study of prices for more than 200 XBLA games.

Microsoft's annual Summer of Arcade promotion begins today, a five-week event designed to draw attention to new top-flight Xbox Live Arcade games, such as Splosion Man and Shadow Complex. We don't yet know how good these games will be — though we have high hopes. What we do know is that they, as is the trend with XBLA games, will contribute to the rising price tag of games on Microsoft's downloadable service.

Kotaku's Andrew Freedman and I pulled launch prices for the more than 200 Xbox Live Arcade games released since the 360's launch. At the top of this post, you'll see a chart that shows how the average price for downloadable XBLA games on the system has risen steadily in the past 46 months. (Note: The Xbox.com online marketplace lists the launch games for the 360 as being released in October of 2005 even though the system debuted in North America in November. For consistency's sake, we've started our chart at October of that year.)

The average price of an XBLA game in the 360's first month was just under 600 points at about $7.31. That has risen to more than 700 points as of last week, or $9.05. And that's not counting how the average will likely rise again during the Summer of Arcade. Four of the five games offered for the new promotion will run 1200 points.

The second chart Andrew and I made shows which prices have been popular, and which are going out of style. The days of games released for 400 points ($5) are nearly over. The 1200-point price ($15) is increasingly common.

Click graph to enlarge
Spoiler:

The size of games offered through XBLA has increased over the years. Several top-quality titles, including Geometry Wars, Braid and Battlefield: 1943 have garnered acclaim.

But if you thought that XBLA was becoming a more expensive service, you're not imagining things.
Old 07-22-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If someone is disappointed about getting a $5 GC with 1600 points instead of $5 off the card, this might be a good thing to use the GC on.
That's exactly what I did. I ended up buying 5x 1600 Live Point cards at Target. I had the cashier rang each one up as a separate transaction so I would get a $5 GC with each one. I then applied the first $5 GC towards the purchase of the second Live Points card and repeated the process. I ended up with a $5 GC leftover which I then applied to the Axe deal. I paid $0.35 for that and rec'd my 300 points when I got home.

Bottom line = 5x 1600 point cards cost me $80 before tax (I saved $20) and an extra 300 points cost me $0.35
Old 07-22-09, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Kotaku's got some neat charts and discussion: http://kotaku.com/5320178/the-rising...-of-xbla-games

We know that the prices are going up, but honestly that doesn't tell the whole story. 'Splosion Man or Monkey Island is easily worth twice the price of Rally-X or Root Beer Tapper. As companies move away from straight up arcade ports of 80's coin op machines, the 400 point games became a thing of the past, so it's no wonder that the average price has gone up.
For me it's all about relative value. 1200 points for Shadow Complex or Battlefield 1943 is an absolute steal. That same price for Death Tank is absurd and for Flock or R-Type it seems a little high also. Why Penny Arcade 1 is 1600 points while part 2 is 1200 is also logic that escapes me. If the quality of the game goes up significantly, I don't mind a relative increase in price. Speaking for me (a very avid XBLA entusiast), a 1200 point game should really be something special and lately it hasn't always been the case.
Old 07-22-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Wow Splosion Man caught me off guard, great game! It really is splodtacular.
Old 07-22-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Decker, I'm not arguing value for cost. I was merely showing charts because I thought they were interesting. Particularly the significant dip around August 2006.

I get that the content has expanded and that something new is clearly worth more than something emulated/ported.

I just don't think that we should have 0 400 point games anymore. There are still plenty of classics untapped. But I guess Indie Games are meant to fill the "bargain bin" void.
Old 07-23-09, 12:19 AM

Decker, I'm not arguing value for cost. I was merely showing charts because I thought they were interesting. Particularly the significant dip around August 2006.
No offense, but I think the graph would only have significant meaning if there used to be a bunch of quality original XBLA games at 400 points, but in reality, I can only think of two (Geometry Wars and Uno). One could argue there are more good 400 point games now because of the Arcade Hits program (though yes, it's been long forgotten by Microsoft) and the occasional Deal of the Week.
The only other thing to be learned is that there are far more 1200 point games than ever before. Of course we all knew that already.
Old 07-23-09, 03:13 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
This is fun but it will obviously have annoying levels.
Yeah, there are some very frustrating parts. I enjoyed the first couple levels. But I'm not having fun on some later levels.

Are there any difficulty settings? I haven't checked yet. I'd probably enjoy this game more on a lower difficulty setting.

It also seems like a fairly short game. Are there just the 15 levels?
Old 07-23-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigdave
yeah, there are some very frustrating parts. I enjoyed the first couple levels. But i'm not having fun on some later levels.

Are there any difficulty settings? I haven't checked yet. I'd probably enjoy this game more on a lower difficulty setting.

it also seems like a fairly short game. Are there just the 15 levels?
50 - didn't you see the sales pitch video? I like the "Portal meets N+" vibe of the game and the simplistic play mechanic.

I'm on level 1-14 now, there are a few trial and error bits but the game in general is still pretty easy - since you have unlimited lives and the enemies are easy to kill I don't see how an easy setting could be implemented. Plus, there's always the cowards way out.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-23-09 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 08:08 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
50 - didn't you see the sales pitch video? I like the "Portal meets N+" vibe of the game and the simplistic play mechanic.

I'm on level 1-14 now, there are a few trial and error bits but the game in general is still pretty easy - since you have unlimited lives and the enemies are easy to kill I don't see how an easy setting could be implemented. Plus, there's always the cowards way out.
Yeah, I played some more, and there's obviously more than 15 levels. 50 levels sounds good. That's definitely worth the price.

So far, I have problems in two areas. First are the sections that are like speed runs. There's rising water or a falling ceiling, and if you don't move fast enough hitting every jump perfectly, it's back to the start. An easy setting could make the water/ceiling move slower, giving weak players time to complete the level.

The second problem is that I'm not always sure where to go (or how to get there). It would be nice if I could maybe get a hint.

Out of the first 16 levels, I had to quit on four. I'm sure hardcore gamers will love this game. But I think casual gamers will get very frustrated in some levels.
Old 07-23-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are also 50 multi-player levels and there's be some fine times to be had 'sploding off each other.

Anybody down for some games of that?
Old 07-23-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, no bites on some Live 'Sploding?

Anyway, a screenshot has popped up from Lucasart's XBLA game, Lucidity:

Got a nice style.

The fantasy title has players controlling the main character, Sofi, by placing certain objects in her path as she travels through the game. Sofi will use these objects to surmount the obstacles impeding her progress.
So, it's like Lemmings?
Old 07-23-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll 'splode on with you sometime.
Old 07-23-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in for some 'splodin' at some point. Shoot me an invite if you see me online.
Old 07-23-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'd be up for some splodin with you too pinata
Old 07-23-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyway, a screenshot has popped up from Lucasart's XBLA game, Lucidity:

Got a nice style.

So, it's like Lemmings?
Pinata I'm down, I as gonna invite you on wednesday when I saw you but figured you were getting to know the game so I didn't.
Old 07-23-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome. I'm down pretty much any time. Sent FRs to TheDude and mhg83.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.