Reload this Page >

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-05-09, 06:46 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up the 360 version and I have to say, it's one of the best damned 2D fighters I've ever played! Granted I'm an anime junkie and it's design is right up my alley, but holy crap it's addicting!

In case you don't know what it is, it's the spiritual successor to the Guilty Gear franchise. There's a nonsensical plot behind everything (it's a fighting game after all) but the combat system is really deep and intuitive. Every character is balanced and the graphics are drop dead gorgeous.

Does anyone else have it on the 360? Let's open up a room and beat the crap out of each other! ( GT: Paradoxx21 )
Old 07-05-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Wow that looks amazing! Since its an anime fighter, does it have RPG elements? I always thought it would be cool if they did a leveling up system for the online portion of fighting games. Each fight you could gain experience points and level up your fighter. Would make for more interesting fights.
Old 07-05-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Very good game, getting great reviews too.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4J_pF-KQ9M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4J_pF-KQ9M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by RichC2; 07-05-09 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I have the PS3 version and have only played it briefly so far, the power went out in the middle of my game and I haven't even checked to see if it screwed up my save or not. Gorgeous freaking game and pretty fun, although the story mode is pretty retarded, lots and lots of simple and meaningless dialogue.
Old 07-05-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to love the Guilty Gear games, so this looks pretty interesting. I just wonder if I would get bored quickly or not.

= J
Old 07-05-09, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
Wow that looks amazing! Since its an anime fighter, does it have RPG elements? I always thought it would be cool if they did a leveling up system for the online portion of fighting games. Each fight you could gain experience points and level up your fighter. Would make for more interesting fights.
There aren't any RPG elements unfortunately. There are, however, some perks to the game as you play further. When you beat the Arcade Mode you unlock something known as an Astral Finish, which is basically like a super move you can pull off in certain circumstances and if it connects, it basically means the end of the match. They are REALLY tough to pull off and out of about 80 matches I've only seen two people get them to work. Still kind of cool power upgrade though.

Otherwise there's the Arcade Mode, Story Mode, Score Attack Mode, Console & Network Versus Modes. There are also tons of images and artwork to unlock as well as a bonus disc with special features and a soundtrack if you buy one of the Limited Edition versions (costs the same - all first run prints were LE).

As far as whether or not it gets boring, I've been playing since Friday and I haven't been able to put the controller down. It's so much fun and the roster of characters is really diverse. Sure there are only like twelve characters, but they all play uniquely. There are no Ken/Ryu clones here, which is a nice thing!
Old 07-06-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the fence on whether to pick this up now or wait. I'm still playing SFIV, so I may wait for a price drop on this one.
Old 07-06-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I heart this game. It made me put down SFIV.
Old 07-06-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Got the PS3 version the day it came out.

Fantastic fighter - right up my alley. It's pretty much given SFIV the dirt-nap.
I love how each fighter plays completely different and that there are no palette swaps of similar characters to artificially make it seem like there's a bigger variety than there really is like most other fighting games do.

Hopefully this will be successful enough and show developers that, when done right, there's still a lot of life left in 2-D animation for videogames. How awesome would a Castlevania be with this level of detail and fluid animations?
Old 07-06-09, 03:33 PM

i went with the ps3 version...such an amazing game so far. i also love that each character doesn't use the same move set, makes mastering a character that much more fun
Old 07-06-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this game disc based or PSN?
Old 07-06-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Disc based.
Old 07-06-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Hopefully this will be successful enough and show developers that, when done right, there's still a lot of life left in 2-D animation for videogames. How awesome would a Castlevania be with this level of detail and fluid animations?
I think a lot of us have been hoping that for some time. As "underpowered" as the Wii is, at least we have a bunch of 2d games coming out, including Muramasa and Capcom vs. Tatsunoku.
Old 07-06-09, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think a lot of us have been hoping that for some time. As "underpowered" as the Wii is, at least we have a bunch of 2d games coming out, including Muramasa and Capcom vs. Tatsunoku.
Those are the only two Wii games I'm absolutely dying to have! Nothing else has really gotten my attention. But yeah, I'm hoping this game sells well enough in the States. It seems to be a success in Japan, so you know a sequel will at least be coming out there.

For those of you that have played the game, who are your favorite characters? Personally I LOVE Haku-Men. Ragna and Jin are a close second/third.

I've noticed that since every character is so different they really have glaring strengths and weaknesses against certain characters. For instance I always get destroyed as Haku-Men whenever I fight Arakune and Taokaka. Anyone else have that problem? Maybe I just need to play more!

Last edited by Dragon Fly; 07-06-09 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FANTASTIC game.

I've been playing as Bang... most likely just because of his theme song super move. I laugh every time. lol.

But seriously... the online mode is everything that Street Fighter 4 should have been (6-player lobbies with a shiteload of match options) and it's a whole hell of a lot more fun (for me) than SF4.

If you like the Guilty Gear series... the fighting system is VERY similar.

The story mode is RIDICULOUS... The story literally makes no sense but at least they tried and added some branching dialog and different dialog if you win/lose a match.

Love the Limited Edition... especially for the price (FREE). It includes not only the game but a 2-disc soundtrack (awesome music, btw) and a making-of DVD that features character tutorials as well.

If I had one quibble it is that on my projector... the game does not fill the entire 16x9 screen no matter the scaling mode I chose. There's always small black bars on the sides.
Old 07-08-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

While this game looks great on my hdtv, Fry's had it running on a new 60" LED hdtv, and there are no words for how fucking fantastic it looked. Everyone that walked by stopped to take a look at it - which I've never seen happen before with any other videogame.
Old 07-08-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Yup, those big screen LED tvs will burn your eyes out with their color.

Sexy.

Also looks fantastic on my 106"
Old 07-09-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Finally opened this game... and I have no clue what I'm doing. Guess it's off to watch the tutorials on the bonus bluray.
Old 07-09-09, 08:06 PM

as much fun as I'm having with the game, and as addicted as I am, I must say that the combo system in this game is frustrating beyond belief. For instance, I'm fighting this one guy and I'm doing fairly well, all of the sudden he strings together a 30 hit combo that I can't block because I took the first hit. The only way out of it is to barrier burst, or whatever, but that's just a one-shot deal. Only about 25% of the people who play the game abuse the combo system for each character, but holy crap is it frustrating. Makes me feel like setting the controller down and walking out of the room.