Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official 'Ratchet & Clank Future : A Crack In Time' Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Official 'Ratchet & Clank Future : A Crack In Time' Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
I just really, really hope this is better than Tools. That was one of the bigger disappointments on the PS3 (imo).

Of course part of it was likely the hype (the game played exactly like the last few games, had uninspired levels and only a hint of a story. And the graphics were nowhere near "Pixar quality" as got posted on many sites (tho I can overlook that.)) but I sincerely hope this isn't another rehash. The Time aspect has potential ... but then it did in Blinx too.
Tools of Destruction is one of the best games of this generation.
Old 10-28-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus

Probably a toss up between that and Heavenly Sword as my favorite game on PS3. (PSN titles excluded)
Old 10-28-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Without a doubt. Loved it.
Old 10-28-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

How so?

It played identically to the first three PS2 titles, did nothing with its story/plot, weapons weren't as new or exciting this time around, and they recycled gameplay, enemy, and level design (which were always a tad generic). It all had a very "I've played this before" vibe to it and it was quite frankly pretty boring, despite being well made on the surface level (controls were fine, game wasn't buggy, great voice acting, solid visuals - though overplayed in the media, it didn't come close to Pixar quality.)

Maybe I was missing something, but while it was a professionally made title, I just didn't think it was a very good one. Bit of disappointment really, I was really looking forward to the title at the time.

But to each their own.

Crack in Time seems to add a few new gameplay elements, as long as the levels and enemies are decent it should be worth a play through.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-28-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-28-09, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone preorder this from Best Buy? I did and the copy they gave me at the customer service pick up counter doesn't really look exclusive at all. (haven't opened it though since I don't yet have a ps3 - I own 7 ps3 games and don't even have the system yet)
Old 10-28-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Damone
Did anyone preorder this from Best Buy? I did and the copy they gave me at the customer service pick up counter doesn't really look exclusive at all. (haven't opened it though since I don't yet have a ps3 - I own 7 ps3 games and don't even have the system yet)
The exclusive pre-order part is a code to download a power package (weapons skin, and unlock the cryo glove up front.) If you ordered online for instore pickup, they should send you an email with the code. If you pre-ordered in store, the code was in the pre-order box.

But the game itself you pick up is exactly like the game from any other store. Nothing exclusive about the packaging.

And... you should go ahead and get your ps3.
Old 10-28-09, 09:56 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

It played identically to the first three PS2 titles, did nothing with its story/plot, weapons weren't as new or exciting this time around, and they recycled gameplay, enemy, and level design (which were always a tad generic). It all had a very "I've played this before" vibe to it and it was quite frankly pretty boring, despite being well made on the surface level (controls were fine, game wasn't buggy, great voice acting, solid visuals - though overplayed in the media, it didn't come close to Pixar quality.)
I can't speak for other people. But as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.

I loved the old R&C games. I'm glad they didn't stray too far from the formula. It's not like the market is flooded with action platformers. In fact, R&C is the only good one that's been put out this gen.

Agree with The Bus, TOD is one of my Top 10 games this gen. If you didn't like it, i doubt you'll like this one.
Old 10-29-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How so?

Maybe I was missing something, but while it was a professionally made title, I just didn't think it was a very good one. Bit of disappointment really, I was really looking forward to the title at the time.

But to each their own.

Crack in Time seems to add a few new gameplay elements, as long as the levels and enemies are decent it should be worth a play through.
I agree and it is why I won't be picking up ACIT
Old 10-29-09, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
The exclusive pre-order part is a code to download a power package (weapons skin, and unlock the cryo glove up front.) If you ordered online for instore pickup, they should send you an email with the code. If you pre-ordered in store, the code was in the pre-order box.

But the game itself you pick up is exactly like the game from any other store. Nothing exclusive about the packaging.

And... you should go ahead and get your ps3.
Wow, I almost threw that box out.....2 BB employees at the counter asked me if I wanted to keep the box or not, I almost wasn't gonna take it but did..good lookin out...
As for the PS3, I just started buying games with the TRU & BB B2G1 sale and got enough to keep me busy for the next year (I still have a few PS2 games I need to finish/open) I've decided to wait and get the 250 GB system for an extra $50 on black friday anyway
After struggling with the awful PS2 port of 'Size Matters' I need some Insomniac love
Old 10-29-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Played about an hour into this title last night. Pretty much the same Ratchet formula...so its good. The only issue I really have is that just like Uncharted 2 its so pretty I know I'm gonna have to play it twice to see everything.
Old 10-29-09, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I can't speak for other people. But as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.

I loved the old R&C games. I'm glad they didn't stray too far from the formula. It's not like the market is flooded with action platformers. In fact, R&C is the only good one that's been put out this gen.

Agree with The Bus, TOD is one of my Top 10 games this gen. If you didn't like it, i doubt you'll like this one.
I think so too. I don't know how else you are going to vary the formula. You've got puzzles, space shooting, area combat, platforming, etc. I don't know what else you could want or expect? turn the series into an RPG, massive online game, or kart racing game? I don't know.

The only legitimate thing I can think of would have been to add a multiplayer component.
Old 10-30-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well after debating it many times, you guys in this thread convinced me to purchase this. I have never played a R&C game but have always wanted to and this seemed like a great title to start with.
Old 10-30-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Played about an hour into this title last night. Pretty much the same Ratchet formula...so its good.
Awesome. I'd kind of decided not to buy it thinking they were turning it to some Blinx puzzle-ish thing, but it sounds like that's not the case.
Old 10-30-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's been playing this the last two evenings and loving the hell out of it. The game is gorgeous, the cut scene animation's are top notch. There are also some pretty cool new things this go around (ToD was the first R&C game either of us had ever played so they might be recycled). The Clank puzzles seem pretty sweet this time around after not interesting me all that much in ToD. There seems to be a lot of flying/lame space combat but she might be doing that more than you really need to.
Old 11-02-09, 07:40 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about an hour into it and loving it so far. The art style in the manual and the weapons vendor has that 50's art and music vibe, very nice touch.

The humor is still there in the cutscenes and dialogue. The new weapons I've seen so far are interesting and they work.

The time aspect is nicely done and not gimmicky or overused. All in all, a solid game and def in my top 5 PS3 games of this year. It certainly is not my GotY contendor, but I could see it falling nicely into GotY runner-up.
Old 11-02-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

I've really liked what I've played of it so far. Huge props for the brilliant idea of running a video story recap while doing the mandatory install -- what a clever idea.

The graphics are really good and the cut scenes, though prerendered are indeed Pixar quality stuff. I really like the new hoverboots and once equipped, I didn't miss Clank so much for the jumping parts. The new Dyno Ball weapon feels about as hard to direct as the tornado last game; I might just turn off the motion controls. The 2-D space shooter stuff is pretty fun and those mini-planets are pretty cool as well.

No, there's nothing earth shatteringly new in this game, but it's more than enough for me. I really like it a lot.
Old 11-02-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I picked this up, and plan on playing it as soon as I get bored with Borderlands (which sounds like it could take a while). I'm not expecting anything spectacularly different in this game, which is a good thing, in my opinion. The R&C series has been pretty similar to itself for quite some time, and I enjoy it as it's a bit different than any other series.
Old 11-02-09, 10:37 PM

It does feel much improved over the last full game, which was a little underwhelming in my book. This has a lot of new things added to the familiar formula.
Old 11-03-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Played for an hour and loving it so far.

Opening with the re-caps was neat. Much better than just watching old snake smoke for fifteen minutes

The first planet with Ratchet reminded me of Uncharted. I wonder if it was a nod to Naughty Dog? They've done that with past R & C games.

Gonna have to get used to the flying though. It seems harder than previous installments.
Old 11-04-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the total install size on the HDD?
Old 11-04-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My final playtime was about 9.5 hours on the first run through. Without spoiling anything though, they give you a really good incentive to collect all the Zoni.

Working on that now.
Old 11-04-09, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by steebo777
what's the total install size on the hdd?
500 mb.
Old 11-27-09, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone had video issues with the game? I'm on the level where Clank learns how to slow time and the video keeps cutting out. My TV gets the "no signal" but I still hear audio. After about 5 secs, the video kicks back in. It happens in the exact same part each time (when Clank jumps on the wheel thing that he just time froze). I'm using component video. Grrrr! So frustrating! :-)
Old 11-27-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I got this today with my PS3 bundle and my daughter and I spent several hours playing it. I literally had to pry the controller out of her little hands and sweet talk her into letting the 60 take a break. It had been on since early in the morning playing Monster Squad on BD and then several hours of R&C. I bought my 3rd PS3 basically because it had this game and the LBP: GOTY Edition and another Dual Shock controller which I needed. Now at least I have some great games and a spare PS3 for whenever one of my 60s decides to take a shit.
Old 11-29-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I finally started playing this last week. It's very similar to previous games, with enough differences to not seem stale. The flying between planets in particular is much nicer. I guess if R&C is going to stop, even if just for a little while, this is a high note to go out on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.