Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Marvel Heroes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Marvel Heroes PC 2013

Surprised to see nothing about this here. Looks like a lot of fun F2P with the usual purchases for costumes etc.

https://marvelheroes.com/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X_Bz7ljPqTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Wolf359; 03-11-13 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 02:24 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Marvel Heroes

i am in the closed beta. it is decent, nothing that will blow you away, but marvel fans will eat it up I am sure. David Brevik, visionary behind the Diablo series is at the helm
Old 03-11-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look me in the eye when I'm talkin to you.
Old 03-11-13, 09:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The actual game doesn't seem to be up yet, but I signed up for the closed beta.
Old 03-12-13, 07:41 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Groucho
The actual game doesn't seem to be up yet, but I signed up for the closed beta.

The game should launch this spring at some point. The closed beta is kind of aggravating. I haven't been able to put much time into it. The servers are only up in 3 hour intervals, 3 or 4 times a week. The times are also at different times of the day. Some days the servers are up from 6-9 pm, some days 9-12pm so you won't play unless you are lucky enough that it falls within your daily "gaming time". Also, there is usually a big patch, so a chunk of that time will probably be updating the game
Old 03-12-13, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I hate the way they did the closed beta. It's a pain trying to play.
Old 05-12-13, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got in and tried the open Beta. so far the servers seem to not be able to handle the stress of having a large number of people playing.

I hope they can get it fixed since it is fun to have free game options available to play.
Old 05-12-13, 08:10 AM
wlj

i will have to give it another shot soon. i am currently playing the F2P Neverwinter in open beta and it is sick.
Old 06-05-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So anyone playing at release?
Old 06-05-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I created an account last night. It's actually a pretty fun ARPG. Not sure how long I'll play it, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 06-05-13, 04:02 PM
wlj

i will give it a shot this weekend maybe. hopefully there have been improvements from what i saw in the beta
Old 06-05-13, 04:08 PM

The beta version didn't carry over, so I have to download anew. Their download client is ridiculously slow.
Old 06-06-13, 06:51 AM

Does anything from Beta carry over?
Old 06-06-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not that I know of.

I played a small amount and got on new character drop although I think it was one of the other free ones.

It is fun and I must admit I like that you get drops you can actually use and no Ah at all.

I do not have much time to play it but for free it will be a nice game to log in from time to time and play a few minutes.
Old 06-17-13, 07:39 AM
wlj

i finally got around to this game over the weekend. I was a part of the closed beta, but i didn't play it all that much due to the way they scheduled server time. Surprisingly, i put 8 hours into this game over the weekend. The game certainly has its share of issues, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. My biggest knocks against the game are as follows:

Free starter characters are meh -- There are 5 heroes you can choose from at the beginning to play the entire game for free. They are Daredevil, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, The Thing, Storm. So if you want to play with the more popular heroes such as Iron Man, Spiderman, Hulk etc... you will have to take out your wallet. The prices are STEEP. Spiderman will cost you $20.00. You can take your chances on getting a "hero drop" in-game, but they are very rare. It would also be a very slim chance that if you got a drop that it would be one of the big boys. I chose Daredevil as my starting character.

You don't stand out -- there is loot in the game, lots of it, however the gear only serves as stat boosters. You can pick up boots and gloves, but your appearance will not change. which was to be expected, but it is still disappointing. You want to look cooler as you progress, but that isn't going to happen. However, if you do want to standout somewhat you can go to the cash shop and buy some alternate costume. Alot of them are very cool, Iron Man has a TON to choose from. I was shocked to see how expensive costumes are. You are going to spend around $15+ for one of the cooler outfits. However if you play the game ALOT and you want to be different -- you may fork over cash for a new suit.

Environments are bland -- I have only gotten to Act 5, but so far the environments have been rather boring to be honest. Maybe the last half of the game will be different.

Even though, I am not happy with the above negatives, the game is fun. The combat is alot deeper than I initially though. You have alot of skills and powers at your disposal. I would describe the game as a Diablo-clone with more MMO elements.
Old 06-17-13, 08:16 AM

wtf? $20 for a character? I guess that $200 founders pack with all costumes / characters wasn't that absurd...
Old 06-17-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it very playable single player?
Old 06-17-13, 08:52 AM

As far as I can tell, the multiplayer is forced. If you go into an instance you are auto-grouped. I'm not sure if there's a way to turn that functionality off.
Old 06-17-13, 09:17 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by starman9000
Is it very playable single player?

right now I am just halfway through and I have been able to do most by myself. however, the difficulty is going up. I just recently defeated Kingpin which I don't think I could have done without other people. At least not with Daredevil. I think I will have to join parties this last half more so.

It is very much like an MMO, because there are different folks running around independently completing their own tasks. However, kind of like Guild Wars 2, there will be world bosses that popup and everyone runs over and fights together. It is cool to see. However when a dozen heroes start doing their powers on a boss, it can get hectic and hard to see what you are doing.
Old 07-02-13, 08:15 AM
wlj

I have been playing Marvel Heroes exclusively over the past couple of weeks. I have put 41 hours in. I will be sticking with it for a while. I didn't like it at first, but it now has its hooks in me. You can play the game completely for free, meaning there is absolutely no roadblocks in your way. However you only have a handful of free heroes to choose from. If you want spider-man, deadpool, iron man etc... you will have to pay. However, if Thing, Daredevil, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Storm, or Hawkeye satisfy you -- you can play everything without restrictions forever. This game really has a great F2P model, never at any point did I say to myself "i need to buy this so I can advance". I have bought a few characters, but that is just because I want to play with them (Captain America, Spider-man, Ms Marvel, Colossus). You may say, "those free heroes probably suck and are not good to play with", that isn't true. They are all very powerful. Hawkeye actually puts out the most damage of any hero right now. Another thing is, new heroes are rare drops in the game, so you have the chance of getting your favorite hero if you don't want to make a purchase. I will say that heroes are quite expensive, depending on who you buy. Deadpool, Spider-man, and Iron Man are the most expensive @ $20.00. There are alot of heroes and they all give you different gameplay experiences.
Old 07-02-13, 10:12 AM

Do they still offer package deals where you can buy all the heroes / costumes?
Old 07-02-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Krayzie
No, but they are having a July 4th sale on heroes and costumes. Some are almost half off. Details on their website (I can't link to it while at work).

I agree with most of what WLJ has said though it hasn't really 'hooked' me yet (although it seems to be very polished). I've been playing as Daredevil (a free char). I may take advantage of the sale and buy Cap. I just wish the appearance of the heroes would change when you equip gear (it's only stat/skill increases) ala Diablo though I understand why they won't do it.
Old 07-02-13, 12:53 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by Gooter
No, but they are having a July 4th sale on heroes and costumes. Some are almost half off. Details on their website (I can't link to it while at work).

I agree with most of what WLJ has said though it hasn't really 'hooked' me yet (although it seems to be very polished). I've been playing as Daredevil (a free char). I may take advantage of the sale and buy Cap. I just wish the appearance of the heroes would change when you equip gear (it's only stat/skill increases) ala Diablo though I understand why they won't do it.

The game didn't really "click" for me until I purchased Ms. Marvel. She is very fun to play with (don't snicker). I don't even know anything about her from the comics, but her gameplay looked fun. I did buy Captain America during the sale and he is alot of fun as well.

Originally Posted by Krayzie

I think Steam has a couple of packages, but they are not like the "Ultimate Pack" which included everything. I don't really want everything from the get-go, that takes the fun out of getting hero drops and costume drops -- you don't have anything driving you. I have purchased 5 characters and I plan to hold off on getting anymore just for that very reason
Old 07-02-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I guess this is better than sinking money into the Marvel Card Game I'm currently obsessed with (digital cards, woohoo).

Do they have Nova (the Richard Rider/Nova corps one, not the Herald of Galactus)? Or Iron Fist?
Old 07-02-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I guess this is better than sinking money into the Marvel Card Game I'm currently obsessed with (digital cards, woohoo).

Do they have Nova (the Richard Rider/Nova corps one, not the Herald of Galactus)? Or Iron Fist?
No, but they will add more heroes in the future. Current list:

Black Panther
Black Widow
Cable
Captain America
Colossus
Cyclops
Daredevil
Deadpool
Emma Frost
Hawkeye
Hulk
Human Torch
Iron Man
Jean Grey
Luke Cage
Ms. Marvel
Nova
Punisher
Rocket Raccoon
Scarlet Witch
Spider-Man
Squirrel Girl
Storm
Thing
Thor
Wolverine

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.