Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Red Faction Demo Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Red Faction Demo Out

I DL and just played the new Red Faction Demo and came away a bit more impressed than I originally planned. The game wasn't even on my radar but after playing it it's not bad after all. While doesn't have the polished more defined look say GOW it seems to offer more in terms of vehicles you can drive and it appears you can interact with almost everything.

Hit a concrete wall and it cracks, glass breaks, containers move but the real fun is almost everything can be destroyed. In the demo you have to steal a 'Walker" (a.k.a Mech) and you can flip vehicles, smash buildings, etc...The destructive engine is really cool. I'll play the demo over and over just to smash things.

The look of it seems pretty good especially with the martian landscape in orange red. Controls seem ok and close to GOW when up bring up the Hud for weapon choice. The vehicle controls are easy to adjust and in the demo you did get a few to drive and test.

Not a bad game but too bad no coop. I read somewhere online the reasoning was bandwidth in coop and with the new GEO Mod 2.0 Destructive Engine the frame rates were just not smooth enough.
Old 04-23-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Red Faction Demo Out

I was in on the beta test and liked it a lot not a great game but a lot of fun multiplayer when you get people together that know how to play and use the different skills. When I was in a match with the developers it was always fun.
Old 04-23-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what system?

= J
Old 04-23-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you preorder it for pc you get the single player demo , and the 360 demo is also available right now.http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/ga...?p=1&of=1&sb=1
Old 04-23-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just played this demo and it is cool although most know that red faction is about destruction and it does feel a little overboard. As I said I played the mp beta a few months back and it feels like they made some improvements since I last played. It is entertaining and I think that I will get this game but not sure that I would get it day one.
Old 04-23-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played with the "Destructive Engine" a bit more and every game should have this. This is just way to cool and way to much fun. As you're tearing stuff up it shows the $$$ amount of damage you're doing. This could be a game in itself. Well there are some modes for this.

In the demo you don't even touch a fraction of all the weapons but the "remote detonator" is fun. You get these "charges" that you can not only place but throw and they "stick" to whatever. Now here's the fun part. You can plant or throw up to four and then set them all off all at once. But here's the best...you can also do it after you get in a vehicle and drive off and still set them off.

After reading a bit more this game has a lot to offer. Large landscape and playing areas, up to 34 different weapons, close to 160 missions types and of course that GEO Mod 2.0 Destructive Engine. Seriously, this makes the game.
Old 04-23-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The demo's out for the PS3 as well! I used to love this game on my PS2 - I'll download the demo and check it out!
Old 04-23-09, 05:40 PM
Banned

I'll grab the demo tonight, the game is on my to buy list, but it sounds like it might be worth getting at launch (instead of waiting on a sale).
Old 04-23-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved the first one. Never got around to playing the second one, but I might have to fire up the 360 all night and download this and UFC.
Old 04-23-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RF2 is one of my favorite FPS games of all time, it just may be my favorite one. I like it way, way better than any of the Halo games. I haven't it played it in years, and since I've played the recent CoD games and that sort of thing, but at the time it was my favorite ever.

I hope the transition with this game is successful.

I'll download the demo and give it a try, I hope it delivers!
Old 04-23-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried it and I liked it, especially all the new GeoMod stuff. I got killed three times and didn't make it far - I hope there'll be a training sequence in the actual release. Tossing the bombs was cool - nice distance weapon.
Old 04-23-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Demo was alot of fun. Alittle too many guys shooting from every direction but the graphics were good, Control was really good, felt right. Looks to be alot of fun, the frist Red Faction was my First ps2 game, Love the series and probably going pick this game up.
Old 04-23-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did like also that it felt like a real environment with innocent npc's running around and vehicles that weren't military.
Old 04-24-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went back in and tried it again and I had fun! I love the Geo Mod stuff - especially when I was blowing the larger tanks and watching the effects. I was taken aback by all of the firing and I couldn't clearly make out who was friend or foe.
Old 04-24-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've played this demo way more than any other and at this point this has become a buy for me. As in a conversation with a few other DVD Talkers coop would've been icing on the cake but can you imagine all the stuff flying around by two people.

The offical RF site... http://www.redfaction.com/

It's worth noting to check the four videos of 'Tools of Destruction". You'll see two heavy hand held weapons the "Arc Welder" and "Grinder". If you're a fan of Star Wars-The Dark Side you'll love the Arc Welder. Lets say "Sparky" looks cool. If you played the demo and drove the Large Walker well there's a smaller faster rocket propelled one.

Last edited by K&AJones; 04-24-09 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Downloaded the demo last nite. I was surprised at how fun it was, I'll pick this up if I can find it for the right price
Old 04-25-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have now played the PS3 demo and finished it twice. I love the fact that this demo doesn't even scratch the surface of the game's depth, but is so easy to get into! Destroying stuff different ways and using strategy to do so will make this game long-lived for me. This was on the list of games to consider, but now this is going to be a day one purchase. I even convinced a friend of mine who got me into Warhawk to get this so we can play on-line! Can't wait until June!
Old 04-26-09, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I just put it in my queue. I'll let you guys know if you should buy it or not. Don't make a move until I can judge it.

EDIT: Yeah you guys can go on and buy it. This was lots of fun. I liked the 3rd person view, and blowin' up shit was very cool.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-02-09 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-02-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New movie out showing different parts. Man this just really looks good and that GEO Mod 2.0 engine makes destroying way to much fun.

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-...Tactics-Video/
Old 05-02-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait to use the point singularity weapon - black holes on demand! Just watched that video - one tactic I was trying to use in Warhawk works in this game! I used to try to tack mines on a jeep and run it into the enemy - they showed a player doing just that with a truck! I really cannot wait for this one for my PS3!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 05-02-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-02-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried the demo and then deleted it. Just not my kind of game, I guess.

= J
Old 05-02-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I tried the demo and then deleted it. Just not my kind of game, I guess.

= J
Same here. It didn't do it for me at all.

The UFC demo on the other hand hooked me immediately.
Old 05-04-09, 10:16 AM
Vel
Cool New Member

I liked it - something about an entirely destructible environment just appeals to me
Old 05-04-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I also tried the demo and deleted it, but only to free up room on my HD. I am so buying this the second it comes out. I loved everything about it - VERY fun.
Old 05-04-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I tried this a few days ago and deleted it after a few minutes. Destroying stuff was fun but I couldn't get into the combat. For whatever reason, I'd rather play the gears of war campaign.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.