Re: Fallout New Vegas Announced

Finished it!
Old 10-24-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Finished it!
Why the rush? This game should be savored at 100 plus hours. I've been finishing up Fallout 3. I'll pick this game up once the patch comes out.
Old 10-24-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm in a pickle. Hit level 22 and finally went to see Mr. House at the Strip. Now it looks like I am in a position to decide how I want to play the rest of the game. This game gives you so many choices that I'm just not sure which faction to go with. Anyone else at this point? which way did you go?
Old 10-24-10, 07:35 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Why the rush? This game should be savored at 100 plus hours. I've been finishing up Fallout 3. I'll pick this game up once the patch comes out.
It took me 40 hours....unlike Fallout 3 you can not do every quest in one go...it splits into 4 paths...I would say that is at least another 20 hours to do those (or if you play from the start another 120 hours)...I put over 200 hours into Fallout 3 with the DLC...so I was in no rush, I enjoyed every moment, and I am about to do a Hardcore run now...
Old 10-24-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I stopped playing there. Too many big choices hit me at once.
Old 10-24-10, 07:36 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by thematahara
I'm in a pickle. Hit level 22 and finally went to see Mr. House at the Strip. Now it looks like I am in a position to decide how I want to play the rest of the game. This game gives you so many choices that I'm just not sure which faction to go with. Anyone else at this point? which way did you go?
Spoiler:
I went with House...
Old 10-24-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Level 22 and didn't visit House... I'm in awe... I don't know how that's possible.

I think this game is just as good as Fallout 3. Some of the pros and cons:

Pros:
No Sewers -- probably the worst part of Fallout 3, very happy this is non-existent
More Missions -- this game is highly addictive and it seems like there's an infinite number of quests
Harder Enemies -- actually enjoy using strategy to defeat enemies
More Companions -- like having more characters to join us

Cons:
No Liam Neeson -- the lack of the personal story hurts the story
Lack of new features -- I was expecting more customizable options, more interesting apparel but it's mostly the same as the last game
Snowglobes are worthless -- okay, technically they're worth 2000 caps but I'd much prefer if they were like the bobbleheads from last game

That's about it for now. I'd love to see the Fallout universe serialized in HBO or Showtime series -- dream show.
Old 10-24-10, 10:46 PM
gamer for life

Pros:
No Sewers -- probably the worst part of Fallout 3, very happy this is non-existent I sort of liked the sewers in Fallout 3, except how it made you travel through them to get from point A to point B...so I have to agree that them being gone is a good thing

More Missions -- game is highly addictive and it seems like there's an infinite number of questsI agree...the quality of these side missions are much higher than the side missions in Fallout 3...

Harder Enemies -- actually enjoy using strategy to defeat enemiesI died a lot in this game...not so much in Fallout 3...and I loved every moment

More Companions -- like having more characters to join usCompanions are way better this time around, and get in the way less

Cons:
No Liam Neeson -- the lack of the personal story hurts the storyI can see what you are saying, but Fallout 3 loss a bit on the main story about half way in...New Vegas just got better

Lack of new features -- I was expecting more customizable options, more interesting apparel but it's mostly the same as the last gameI would have liked to have seen more new Perks

That's about it for now. I'd love to see the Fallout universe serialized in HBO or Showtime series -- dream show.they would just ruin it
Old 10-25-10, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
It took me 40 hours....unlike Fallout 3 you can not do every quest in one go...it splits into 4 paths...I would say that is at least another 20 hours to do those (or if you play from the start another 120 hours)...I put over 200 hours into Fallout 3 with the DLC...so I was in no rush, I enjoyed every moment, and I am about to do a Hardcore run now...
40 hours? You been playing non stop? I thought my 20 hours or so was bad

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Level 22 and didn't visit House... I'm in awe... I don't know how that's possible.

I think this game is just as good as Fallout 3. Some of the pros and cons:

Pros:
No Sewers -- probably the worst part of Fallout 3, very happy this is non-existent
More Missions -- this game is highly addictive and it seems like there's an infinite number of quests
Harder Enemies -- actually enjoy using strategy to defeat enemies
More Companions -- like having more characters to join us

Cons:
No Liam Neeson -- the lack of the personal story hurts the story
Lack of new features -- I was expecting more customizable options, more interesting apparel but it's mostly the same as the last game
Snowglobes are worthless -- okay, technically they're worth 2000 caps but I'd much prefer if they were like the bobbleheads from last game

That's about it for now. I'd love to see the Fallout universe serialized in HBO or Showtime series -- dream show.
The underground train stations/sewers were pretty repetitive. "Oh look, another ghoul!"

No Liam Neeson? But, there's Matthew Perry!

Oh and yeah, snow globes are kind of crappy. On a side note, I have only found one, and where do you sell them?
Old 10-25-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay so I have ED-E and Boone..ED-E is suppose to warn us when there is danger even far away right? WRONG. Must have been a glitch..because a deathclaw just popped out of thin air..and curbstomped Boone before Boone could even go into melee mode..then I shot him 6-7 times...dropped 3-4 frag mines..and I got 2 swiped and dead. bleh
Old 10-25-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't had much time to play, but I've clocked about 9 hours so far and I'm just starting to get into it. It feels more like Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 did, which is excellent.
Old 10-25-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got to the Mr. House part of the game.

I decided on my next go around, I'm going to be a straight evil brawler female. Should be interesting.
Old 10-25-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Almost 20 hours and just Level 20 and I'm finally in The Strip.

Since I'm already in The Strip I guess I somehow skipped ED-E, how can I find him?

I already have Boone as my companion though.

Oh and an update from my previous post, I've already died several times , even with Boone.

I love this game!
Old 10-25-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I think i'm going to go back to where I saved before I met Mr. House. I cant remember the last time I was so unsure about how I wanted to progress with a game. I dont think this is much of a spoiler, but just in case:

Spoiler:
I knew I didnt want to side with Legion, so I went to their base and since I had Boone with me, I knew he would shoot on site.

Man, I totally didnt expect the battle I would encounter there. Must have had to kill what seemed like a 100 legion soldiers. It was hard as hell, but I managed to wipe out the entire base.

I think I will start over and instead of just wiping them out, follow the actual structure of the missions. It just felt like it was totally unintended for me to go in there and wipe out the legion army by myself.

Tonight I'm going to revert to before I met Mr. House and probably side with the NCR. This game rocks though

Also, man this game is way tougher than Fallout 3. I'm level 23 and I still have trouble with a lot of enemies. I remember being able to take down Super mutants and deathclaws pretty easily in the last game by this point. My guns just seem very under powered. Right now I'm using the Hunting rifle, but it seems so weak. I havent really bothered with modifications or different kinds of ammo, does it make that much of a difference?
Old 10-25-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
40 hours? You been playing non stop? I thought my 20 hours or so was bad

Oh and yeah, snow globes are kind of crappy. On a side note, I have only found one, and where do you sell them?
I'm closing in on 60 hours now, and I'm nowhere near the end of the main storyline as far as I can tell. The last thing I did on that path was
Spoiler:
scare Benny away from the Strip.

Then I got sidetracked and started working on the bazillion sidequests.

There are 7 total snow globes (from what I understand, anyway; I'm trying to find them all on my own and I have 4 now) and you can sell them to
Spoiler:
Mr. House.

On a related note, I'm happy that this game actually has things to spend your caps on, which makes the snowglobes end up being not so crappy. When I had accumulated 13,000 caps I was worried that it was going to go the route of Fallout 3 and most other RPGs, where you're swimming in money by the halfway point of the game with nothing worthwhile to buy. Then I found a bunch of good weapon mods for sale, as well as a certain person who offers certain upgrades (trying to avoid spoilers, but if you've been there you know what I mean). I'm now at level 23 and have 13 total caps. I've been going around scavenging to find stuff to sell, and I'm very pleased about having to do that.

My biggest gripe is not being able to take a perk every level. Makes it very difficult to choose since there are so many I want to try out, and it seems like a lazy way to add difficulty to the game. The developers should have just made taking perks when levelling up optional for those people who don't want a God character. I like being the Scourge of the Wastes, dammit!

Also, just when I thought I couldn't love this game any more than I already do, last night I met Lily (and Leo ). That whole area and its related quests made me want to keep playing for several more hours, but sadly it was already a couple hours past bedtime.
Old 10-25-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
Since I'm already in The Strip I guess I somehow skipped ED-E, how can I find him?
Spoiler:
He's the disabled robot in Primm. You can fix him if your Science skill is high enough, or if your Repair skill is high enough it reduces the Science requirement. Or I guess you can take him to the junkyard since that was an optional part of the quest, though I didn't have to go that route.

The companion mechanics, and the companion characters themselves, are about a hundred times better in this game than in Fallout 3. Another pro: you earn the XP for your companion's kills, unlike in Fallout 3. I always travelled solo in that game.
Old 10-25-10, 01:31 PM
gamer for life

yeah I put 60 hours in..I have 3 of the 4 main quests done...just played old saves right before the split to do them...I have a fresh person now playing from the start...going to focus on unarmed and stealth...
Old 10-25-10, 01:32 PM
gamer for life

and play evil....
Old 10-25-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
Almost 20 hours and just Level 20 and I'm finally in The Strip.

I already have Boone as my companion though.

Oh and an update from my previous post, I've already died several times , even with Boone.

I love this game!
Well you get 2 companions..one humaniod one, one non-humanoid.

You can get EDE in
Spoiler:
PRIMM, he is in the mojave outpost..you need to repair him...with either high repair or science skill..but when I got to him..it was still early..so you need to find parts...scrap metal/eletrocnis/modules etc.
Old 10-25-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thematahara
. Right now I'm using the Hunting rifle, but it seems so weak. I havent really bothered with modifications or different kinds of ammo, does it make that much of a difference?
By level 23 at the very least the weapons dealers should be selling you better than what yo9u have now. Mods help a ton, especially scope/extra magazine capcity.

and yes ammo makes a difference. You will have guys with tough armor..where you want to use amror piercing bullets. And big fleshy without much armor you would want to use hollowpoint I believe.
Old 10-25-10, 01:38 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
By level 23 at the very least the weapons dealers should be selling you better than what yo9u have now. Mods help a ton, especially scope/extra magazine capcity.

and yes ammo makes a difference. You will have guys with tough armor..where you want to use amror piercing bullets. And big fleshy without much armor you would want to use hollowpoint I believe.
playing on HARD..if you don't change bullets for different enemies you will die fast...it is a must...
Old 10-25-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

It looks like I am 23 hours in and level 16. I am finding new places but not entering them yet. I have found Hoover Dam, Freeside, Boulder City, etc.
Old 10-25-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

spoilers regarding a companion:

Spoiler:
if you have any desire to side with legion, be wary of having boone tag along. i am about 10 hours in and still exploring in the SE portion of the map. there is a small legion camp located along the east-west road in the lower portion of the map. before i could tell boone to wait, before i even realized the red markers on the HUD were legion troops, boone sniped each one in succession. instant villification by the legion. several minutes later, the assassins show up and have now been hounding me for awhile. i had planned to ally with the NCR this playthrough, so this is not really affecting my plans. just a warning.
Old 10-25-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I decided on my next go around, I'm going to be a straight evil brawler female. Should be interesting.
this is my intention as well.
Old 10-25-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For anyone having trouble with the difficulty, I've discovered that both melee and unarmed are extremely overpowered in this game, even if you don't have many points assigned to those skills. My unarmed skill is around 20 points and I can one-punch kill most enemies with pretty much any standard weapon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.