Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Fallout New Vegas Announced

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Fallout New Vegas Announced

Surprised it hasn't been posted here yet (apologies if I missed it), but Kmart has a preorder deal where you pretty much buy a preorder pack (comes with 4 fallout coasters) and get a coupon for $15 off any gaming purchase the week that Fallout:Vegas comes out (it's obviously intended to use on Fallout:Vegas, but the coupon is not restricted to it, only by date). It is not an actual preorder where they will hold the game for you in reserve, though. And while the gaming section is having an overhaul when it comes to deals, dealing with Kmarts and Kmart employees are still YMMV, as there are numerous reports of employees not understanding what this is (when I went yesterday, the sales person almost didn't sell it to me because she said I had to wait until the game was released).

Because of the coasters and the coupon, people have been snatching them up along with the other killer kmart deals this week, but even if their out a new shipment should be going out to most stores on Friday. This is what the coasters look like:

http://www.vggen.com/news/news.php?id=10610
Old 08-10-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really glad to hear about Matt Perry. He's such a great fan of the game.
Old 08-10-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite my complaints above about Fallout 3, I'm definitely picking this up day 1. I've been playing Oblivion for the first time over the past few months and am absolutely loving it and it's getting me excited for Fallout New Vegas. Between this and Gran Tursmo 5, the October/November timeframe will have plenty of games to keep me busy
Old 10-05-10, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, almost 2 months without a post about this game? You guys are slipping! 2 weeks from today!

I don't have any Kmarts nearby, so I'm probably going with Amazon and the $10 credit - any word on deals elsewhere?
Old 10-05-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I decided to finally pre-order this today because of some Amazon gift certificates that I had. But i'm buying the PC version, so I doubt there will be any deals on that front
Old 10-05-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have already preordered the collector's edition from amazon. i cannot wait!
Old 10-05-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Can anyone confirm that the replacement for the bobbleheads are

Spoiler:
snowglobes?
Old 10-05-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
Damn, almost 2 months without a post about this game? You guys are slipping! 2 weeks from today!

I don't have any Kmarts nearby, so I'm probably going with Amazon and the $10 credit - any word on deals elsewhere?
Not sure if it's still going on, but I pre-ordered it from NewEgg for 49.99. I won't get it right on release day but I'm fine with that.
Old 10-05-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Can anyone confirm that the replacement for the bobbleheads are

Spoiler:
snowglobes?
Seen that mentioned on a few sites so I think it is indeed the case.
Old 10-05-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I pre-ordered the CE from Amazon. I can't wait for the 19th!
Old 10-05-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait for this game and I'm afraid I won't be able to play much of it for the first few weeks due to work.

Dammit...
Old 10-06-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do want
Old 10-06-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like articles are starting to come out:

http://tgntimes.com/fallout-new-vegas-will-be-big/

There might be some slight spoilerish stuff in here:

Spoiler:

A lonely shack, slowly rusting in the dry heat of the Nevada sun. But what oddities are contained within? Traps? A crazed Prospector? Moonshine? The guide knows all….

Sometimes you need to take a moment from your massacring of the Viper Gunslingers, and gaze out across the arid plains where sharecropper farmers are eking out an existence using a mixture of chutzpah and NCR-owned water. Or, go swimming in Lake Mead, and drink as much radiation-free H2O as you can… before you’re set upon by savage Lakelurks. Where the Capital Wasteland was a pock-marked mess of radioactive hot-spots and shacks containing madmen named Dave, the Mojave Wasteland has much more of its natural environment intact. New Vegas contains just as many shack-dwelling madmen. Perhaps the most deranged is known as No-Bark Noonan. He lives with his shotgun traps and showroom dummy friends.

Mapping the Mojave for the strategy guide was no easy task. While it didn’t lay me out in a fit of conniptions like linking the DC Metro Underground areas together, the number of locations that the guide covers (in meticulous detail I may add, which includes every single type of collectible you’ll want to find, and every Crafting location, Healer, Trader, and Caravan Player) is still immense.

New Vegas has a massive game world featuring well over 200 primary locations, and that’s not including around the same number of secondary locations not on your Pip-Boy’s map (which the guide tags). Basically, if there’s ammo, something to tempt you, an item of interest close by, or if there’s an Abomination prowling nearby, the guide lets you know. From threat levels to lists of every character that inhabits a location, the tour of the Mojave Wasteland is exhaustive.

Occasionally it’s okay to stop trying to complete every one of the over 70 side quests, and 90 free quests and sit a spell to marvel at the sunsets and check out the gleaming spire of The Strip.

Spoiler:

But what kinds of locations are available to the sight-seeing Courier? Well, some personal favorites include The Devil’s Throat; a giant rock depression filled with Evolved Centaurs, radioactive barrels, and heavy Energy Weapons. There are stretches of lonely highway to trek down passing savaged caravans with Brahmin corpses stinking in the mid-day sun.

There’s a whole mountain wilderness where Super Mutants are the friendliest creatures you’ll face, and hidden pathways to find locations you previously thought inaccessible. There are mines, shacks, ravines, mountains, caves, sweeping plains, dry lakes, rocky promontories, and wild canyons where the thrill of traversing the rugged landscape changes to fear as your hunting rifle jams just before a Legendary Fire Gecko spots you. And that’s before you enter the outskirts of New Vegas itself. Finding out which locations are safe to explore and which are deathtraps filled with Deathclaws is only a glimpse of what the strategy guide offers. Expect a full, complete, and helpful tour of every nook, cranny, and secret safehouse there is to find.
Old 10-06-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder how much area they'll cover? Like maybe as far west as Barstow? But that's a huge number of locations.
Old 10-06-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

200 Primary locations sounds like a shit ton of area to cover. I was a little saddened to see that the Deathclaws will be returning as I hated running into them in the first game.
Old 10-06-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you mean the last game, right? Deathclaws have been a Fallout staple since the first game back in the late 90's. No Deathclaws would be like a Mario game without Koopa's or a Metroid game without a Metroid.
Old 10-06-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I think you mean the last game, right? Deathclaws have been a Fallout staple since the first game back in the late 90's. No Deathclaws would be like a Mario game without Koopa's or a Metroid game without a Metroid.
Yes, you are right but since I never bothered playing the first two then it was the first time I encountered them. They are some savage bastards and scared the crap out of me because they were so fast and could kill you quickly.
Old 10-06-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they have always been killer. The trick to slowing them down (literally) in Fallout 3 was the Dart Gun. It almost made them too easy.

Almost.
Old 10-06-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another cool New Vegas Preview (Do I need to spoilerize previews?)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-vegas-preview

I don't think too many of you would disagree with me when I say Fallout 3 was, quite simply, one of the best games ever made. It provided a compelling blend of FPS and RPG action and a vast, fully explorable setting that saw many gamers spend 100 hours or more wandering its post-apocalyptic Wasteland. Immersive, high-definition gaming at its finest.

It's fair to say then that its sequel, Fallout: New Vegas, has quite a lot to live up to. Ahead of its release at the end of the month I visited Bethesda HQ to play through the first two hours of the game and take a sneak peek at a few noteworthy sections later on.

Despite near-universal acclaim, Fallout 3 did have some niggling issues, and it seems that, knowing they've all but perfected the basic structure of the game, Obsidian have taken great care to iron out the most apparent problems.

I imagine I wasn't alone, for example, in finding the overarching narrative pretty lacklustre compared to the side-missions and secrets which made your adventure so memorable. As the main story was building to a climax, I was far more concerned with finding new weapons or characters to interact with than I was Liam Neeson and his giant water-purifier.

New Vegas looks to remedy this with a more involving and less-linear story that weaves into the fabric of the game with much greater deftness. Although Bethesda are understandably loathe to release too much detail, the narrative looks to take the form of a rather unconventional whodunnit, tracking down those responsible for your own death – the game begins with your resurrection.

Fallout 3 was criticised in many quarters for being visually dreary at times and suffered from a monotonously washed-out palette – and the use of colour in New Vegas, most obviously in the brilliantly blue sky, is one of the first things you notice as you take your first steps out into the world map.

By shifting the setting from East to West coast, Obsidian have been able to present a significantly different Wasteland experience. Civilisation, all but obliterated in the nuked DC area of the last game, is now much more evident, with a fully functioning Las Vegas strip and colourful road signs and landmarks punctuating your journey.

The art design and music used are mainly 50s-themed – licensed tracks also used in Mafia II play on the Pipboy's in-game radio, coincidentally – and the added effort made here to present not just a run-of-the-mill post-apocalyptic world but a stylised one makes New Vegas' setting all the more memorable.

Graphics too have been significantly tweaked, with the developers pushing the capabilities of the existing engine much further than I'd seen in previous previews. Facial animations have been improved, and there looks to be much more variety in the voice-acting talent too – though I must admit hearing Chandler's voice in the intro sequence jarred-somewhat. Could there be any more super-mutants?

Still, if all you're expecting from New Vegas is a better-looking Fallout 3 with a new set of missions and enemies, you certainly won't be disappointed. Controls and the basic mechanics of the game are almost exactly the same, so you won't have any problems jumping straight in.

One criticism I've heard a few times of Fallout 3 was from FPS fans that didn't like the VATS system, which essentially reduced the skill of shooting into a more RPG-like, points-spending affair. This time around, players will be able to use the bizarrely-named 'Ironsight' (which I insisted must in fact be called eye-in-sight, to no avail) which essentially just gives you the left-trigger look-down-the-sights that has become standard in FPS games.

This small tweak actually changes the flavour of the action considerably – depending on your weaponry you now needn't use VATS at all, and it's much easier to take out targets from range without relying on percentages.

Your use of companions throughout the game has been completely overhauled, with a new command wheel system meaning kitting out and controlling your comrade works much better than in Fallout 3. The AI has also been tweaked, I was told, so hopefully now your collected buddies will be of much greater use - spending less time getting noticed, using the wrong weapon to defend themselves, and then dying.

There's also a new 'reputation' system to get to grips with, where the morality of your actions are not just judged broadly as they were in Fallout 3, but also seen in light of how they will be received by the warring tribes and villages that make up New Vegas' inhabitants. The moral choices the last Fallout was famed for now have much weightier repercussions – I'm told it's impossible to play through the whole game and keep everyone happy.

Along with these broader changes, Obsidian have introduced a few new features aimed specifically at Fallout's passionate online community. Weapon-modding, for example, has been introduced, allowing silencers, scopes, different ammo types and so on for added customisation.

Fans will also be delighted with the frequent references to Fallouts 1 and 2 which I was told will be much more apparent than in Fallout 3, as a number of developers that worked on the first two games were brought back for this new instalment.

A new 'Hardcore' difficulty level is also available for players looking for a more intense challenge. In this mode you'll have to search for water or risk dying of thirst, scrabble for old bullet casings to make ammunition and sleep at regular intervals in safe places to stay healthy.

I daren't offer too much detail regarding the missions I played through – but the dark humour of Fallout 3 is still very much evident. The map looks to be similar-sized, though I was promised even more side-missions and areas to explore than last time around. New Vegas has a level cap of 30, which potentially means a whole 33% more of incentivised character development to encourage exploration. Prepare to lose a few weekends.

Obsidian have created a new world – not too dissimilar to the last one but pleasingly different nevertheless - that I, for one, can't wait to sink my teeth into. Look out for our review in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-07-10, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only downside I see from that article is that I actually liked VATS.
Old 10-07-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is now officially in my "Can't Wait" category. Less than two weeks away and we will once again be blazing that dusty trail. I sure there isn't an achievement tied to playing it on that hard difficulty but I'm sure there will be which will suck ass.
Old 10-07-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Vegas might be the first game where I actually schedule a staycation on the 10/19
Old 10-07-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I spent 200 hours in Fallout 3 (DLC included), can I expect 400 in New Vegas?
Old 10-07-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tarantino
The only downside I see from that article is that I actually liked VATS.
VATS is still there, but there are more options for those who don't want to use it.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I sure there isn't an achievement tied to playing it on that hard difficulty but I'm sure there will be which will suck ass.
There is. Not surprisingly, it's worth the most points.
Old 10-07-10, 08:27 AM

should I play fallout 3 before buying new vegas. I havent played my copy of fallout 3 and I am trying to decide whether to play that and then try new vegas or skip fallout 3 and just play new vegas.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.