Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Fallout New Vegas Announced

Old 10-25-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fallout New Vegas Announced

I thought that, too, but then I tried to use a golf club on a ghoul. Not pretty.

By the way, I may have missed it, but how do you use the special melee weapon attacks? I never saw the "Fore!" for the golf club.
Old 10-25-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nvidia driver released today:

New in Release 260.99

Increases performance vs. v260.89 drivers in the following PC games: Civilization V (SLI), Fallout 3, Final Fantasy XIV, and Formula 1 Racing (DX11).
Adds SLI profiles for the following PC games:
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Fallout: New Vegas
Improves compatibility for Fallout 3: New Vegas with antialiasing enabled.
Improves Alt-Tab compatibility for several PC games.
Added the following 3D Vision game profiles: Call of Duty: Black Ops and Tom Clancy's HawX 2.
With Release 260 drivers, the installation process for 3D Vision has changed. Please view this knowledgebase article for more information on the changes
Old 10-25-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
For anyone having trouble with the difficulty, I've discovered that both melee and unarmed are extremely overpowered in this game, even if you don't have many points assigned to those skills. My unarmed skill is around 20 points and I can one-punch kill most enemies with pretty much any standard weapon.
I've used melee and submachine guns almost exclusively.
Old 10-25-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I the only one who absolutely hates the map system in this game? I am wandering around Freeside trying to find the marker for one of the missions and I've literally been wondering around for like 35 minutes but keep running around in circles. I ran into the same problems in Fallout 3 from time to time. Maybe it's because there's obstructions that prevent you from going to places in a straight line but I can't stand this. Granted Freeside has a confusing layout but still.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 10-25-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm finding the map/waypoint system to be more annoying than Fallout 3.
Old 10-25-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kms_md View Post
spoilers regarding a companion:

Spoiler:
if you have any desire to side with legion, be wary of having boone tag along. i am about 10 hours in and still exploring in the SE portion of the map. there is a small legion camp located along the east-west road in the lower portion of the map. before i could tell boone to wait, before i even realized the red markers on the HUD were legion troops, boone sniped each one in succession. instant villification by the legion. several minutes later, the assassins show up and have now been hounding me for awhile. i had planned to ally with the NCR this playthrough, so this is not really affecting my plans. just a warning.
He does warn you that will happen.
Old 10-25-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
He does warn you that will happen.
this is true. it just is a bit unsettling to be strolling through the wasteland and immediately cut to a murder animation for
Spoiler:
boone mowing down an enemy i did not even know was there

as far as
Spoiler:
the faction allegiance goes, apparently you get a pardon from all factions once the end game begins and allows you to choose with which faction you want to ally.
Old 10-25-10, 06:37 PM
gamer for life

biggest jump in a game in a while...I had just got smoked by some of those stupid flying bugs (can't remb the name) so I was on edge, and I guess ED went off and killed something...so it just cuts to a slow motion of blood flying...I thought for a second I had been killed, but it was Ed killing something far away..made me jump...
Old 10-25-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...works_because/

October 25, 2010

Bethesda Softworks LLC a ZeniMax Media company 1370 Piccard Drive, Suite 120 Rockville, MD 20850

To Whom It May Concern:

On October 19, 2010 I purchased a copy of Fallout: New Vegas for Xbox 360 from a local GameStop. After waiting for the release of this game for more than year, I was ecstatic to finally play the game.

I loved it. By October 24 I had already amassed more than thirty hours of play time. Considering I work more than fifty hours per week, this was not easy. Even though the bugs, slowdowns, and graphical glitches were numerous, they rarely had any effect on the development of my character.

After completing the “Come Fly With Me” quest, my character perished. Upon reloading my latest saved game, my Xbox froze on the loading screen. I restarted and tried again, but the same thing happened. I tried to load the latest autosave and received the following message:

"This save game relies on downloadable content that is no longer available. Some objects may be no longer available. Continue loading?"

After selecting “Yes,” the game will tell me that it is unable to load the saved game and returns me to the main menu. This same message happens with all (about 100) saved games I have, both before and after the completion of the “Come Fly With Me” quest. The thirty hours I spent meticulously building and shaping my character have been a complete waste.

I understand there must have been a great deal of pressure to release this software on a certain date. I understand that most games are released with minor bugs which typically do not affect gameplay. However, having issues with saved games, especially in a role-playing game, is unforgivable. I did not pay $60 plus tax for the privilege of testing your software.

I understand there may be a patch released to solve this issue. However, this does not make up for the hours spent researching this issue and communicating with other individuals who have encountered this error in an attempt to recover our saved games. Releasing another patch this soon after the game’s release demonstrates that you are using people like me, who are trying to enjoy the game, as de facto beta testers.

The game is very good. However I refuse to pay $60 for an unfinished and unplayable version. I want a full refund directly from Bethesda Softworks or ZeniMax Media for the time I spent testing your software. Considering I spent thirty hours using your software, you are getting my services at a relatively low price of approximately $2.00 per hour. A class-action lawsuit would be decidedly more expensive.

Sincerely,

Me

cc Robert A. Altman, Chairman & CEO
Old 10-25-10, 06:44 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Boone + Rex + Me hunting in Legion territory with armor piercing rounds = Caesar's worst nightmare.
Old 10-25-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
biggest jump in a game in a while...I had just got smoked by some of those stupid flying bugs (can't remb the name) so I was on edge, and I guess ED went off and killed something...so it just cuts to a slow motion of blood flying...I thought for a second I had been killed, but it was Ed killing something far away..made me jump...
Yeah, the first time Boone destroyed some hapless Fiend from 200 yards, I was jumping, too.
Old 10-26-10, 12:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

So, I finished the main quest tonight. My very last save said I was at about 24 hours of gameplay, but I know I've played more than that, since i had to backtrack a bit after my game-stopping glitch.

I'm still going to go back to my save right before "the point of no return" and tackle as many side quests as I can, but I have to say that I'm kind of surprised at how short the main quest really is. I really didn't think the game would end so shortly after that point.

Still, this is a fantastic game, and right up there with Fallout 3 in terms of enjoyment.

My favourite companion:
Spoiler:
Veronica (voiced by Felicia Day). She has some good lines, and proves to be pretty useful in contacting one of the factions.

The "side" I chose:
Spoiler:
Yes Man. Independent Vegas, FTW! Although, I admit I was a bit confused and wasn't totally aware of the consequences.

Other things:
Spoiler:
- Caesar and the Legion are a bunch of tough motherfuckers!
- The game froze on me a few times, but I think it was my console's fault.
- Had a few random glitches with the Pip-boy not appearing, weapons/hands disappearing from the screen, etc. Nothing major.
- My game-stopping "glitch" happened because I stormed into the Cove and killed everyone on site. That made it impossible to proceed properly. I reverted to an old save and re-did that quest without the violence.
- My character (female) fucked Joana in Gomorrah, then told her that her long lost boyfriend, Carlitos, wanted her back.
- I killed Benny myself, while he was tied up. It felt wrong. But I took his suit, which I wore for the rest of the game, and his gun, which was my primary weapon.
- Had an issue with one of the White Glove quests. Went searching for the rancher's son, and was told I could talk to the investigator. But, as soon as I entered the investigator's room, a couple White Glove thugs come and kill me, and they're too strong to fight off. Not sure if it's possible to complete that quest...

- Does anyone know who the one character you can't kill is supposed to be? I'm thinking it's Yes Man, but since I sided with him, I never had a chance to destroy him.
Old 10-26-10, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am level 19 now, and I just finished a few quests in Freeside.
Old 10-26-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How are people finishing this game in 24 hours? I've clocked just under 9 and I just got to Novac.
Old 10-26-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
How are people finishing this game in 24 hours? I've clocked just under 9 and I just got to Novac.
No idea. Running through the main quest? I hit 65 hours last night and I haven't chosen a side yet or anything. Still have at least a dozen active quests in my log and keep finding new ones.
Old 10-26-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thats about where I am, 11 hours and am finishing up Novac.
Old 10-26-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, apparently you can just go straight to Vegas and bypass a lot of the main quest stuff?
Old 10-26-10, 10:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I don't feel like I bypassed anything in the main quest, and I played a few side quests. Although, maybe the main quest plays out longer if you
Spoiler:
choose not to side with Yes Man; but even he had me running around, seeing if any of the other factions should be ignored when we began our reign of terror.

I really don't know.

I just really wanted to see how far I could get in the main quest before I no longer had the option to do side quests. Now that I know exactly what that point is, I'm going back and wandering.
Old 10-26-10, 10:25 AM
Cool New Member

So when can you align yourself with a faction? I've ran into the Legion twice and did a quest for Dead Sea, and I haven't seen them since. I'm only level 9 though..
Old 10-26-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was feeling bad for being level 9 in 20 hours of play time. But right now, I have 9 open quests, after visiting a few places in Vegas. Also I was able to level up faster with Boone and ED-E wandering in the Wasteland.
Old 10-26-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Also I was able to level up faster with Boone and ED-E wandering in the Wasteland.
they are xp producing machines.
Old 10-26-10, 08:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Traversing The Tepid Tunnels of The Trajectory

An easter egg. Not a spoiler for the story of the game at all, and I think it only applies if you choose the "Wild Wasteland" perk...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Looks like someone...
Spoiler:
Nuked the fridge...
Spoiler:
But his hat is just fine.
Old 10-26-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The main quest feels like it abruptly ends once you reach the Strip. You can choose to end it fairly quickly. I was shocked.
Old 10-27-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else have a problem with the Bladed Gauntlet? My first crash ever occurred the first time I tried punching someone while wearing the gauntlet. Now I've had several more crashes any time I tried adding a gauntlet to my inventory.
Old 10-27-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just ran into my first serious glitch (xbox 360s - 250GB)

Spoiler:
i met mr. house and was given my suite in the lucky 38. however, i cannot bring my companions into the hotel. victor says that its not allowed - basically the same dialog tree you receive prior to completing the mr. house meeting. i cannot access the elevator on any floor without talking with victor as well (i am not sure if that is supposed to be the case at all). i get the prompt to activate the elevator, but i get no response. victor is standing there and i can engage him in dialog that will allow me to choose the floor. i could kill/deactivate victor, but this would remove subsequent potential questlines. has anyone else run into this bug?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.