Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prototype (Activision, Radical Entertainment) - June 9th

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Prototype (Activision, Radical Entertainment) - June 9th

Originally Posted by FusionX
But yeah, a week of casual play is short in my opinion.
well your experience I would venture to say is not that of the average gamer
I've been playing this daily for around 4 hours at a time (for well over a week) and am just now getting into the Historic district. As a matter of fact after facing one of the bosses (think very high structure to climb to) I thought the game was coming to a conclusion yet I was surprised to notice I still have about 30% more to go.
This game (inFAMOUS) is by far a short gaming experience. This game (inFAMOUS) delivers on everything promised and more.

Last edited by musick; 06-10-09 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my input if anyone cares:

I played for about an hour last night, and feel it's very average at best. The graphics are bland, but I expected that. The game loads an awful lot, which is very annoying. The controls are pretty bad (X to shoot and RT to run?). So far it seems that there are only 31 missions, 6 of which I finished in under an hour. Also, the "side missions" are the stupid ones where you run through checkpoints in under 30 seconds to get gold medals etc.

I would give it a 6/10...maybe bump it to a 7 if it blows me away before I finish it...but I doubt it.
Old 06-10-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like InFamous but it feels like I'm playing Heroes and I'm stupid Kristin Bell and I'd rather be Sylar.
Old 06-10-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dude, I am not bashing Infamous. I bought the game, played it to full completion, and had fun. I just wanted a richer, longer experience, not a week's worth of decent fun. Again, I liked Infamous, it just failed to cash in on its potential. Prototype is better, but again, misses out on some elements. I think people should play Infamous, it is fun, but it is suited as a rental. So far Prototype appears to be the same, about a week's worth, but the experience is much richer. I just want more than a week's worth of content for $60. But one more time, I am not bashing Infamous, I own it and conquered it in total. But yeah, a week of casual play is short in my opinion.

EDIT: The upgrade system in Prototype is just awesome. It covers such a broad base of powers and abilities, plus all the usual health/damage topics. I'm interested to see how deep into the game this system goes. I also doubt I'll ever get the achievement for finishing the game while consuming 10 or less civilians. BTW, if you thought Altair's shoving people aside was funny, Alex Mercer takes it to a whole new level. Just passing by using the parkour, I grabbed a woman and punched her in the face.

Most single player games cash in at 10 hours. Do you bash them too? Red Faction is 15 hours which is plenty for me. You sound really nit picky. I would hate to see what you thought of the masterpiece, Bioshock!
Old 06-10-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I bet that if Prototype were an exclusive to a console (doesn't matter which one), it would get much higher marks.

It seems like every exclusive game, even if shit, gets an automatic "+1" added to it's review score.
Old 06-10-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I bet that if Prototype were an exclusive to a console (doesn't matter which one), it would get much higher marks.

It seems like every exclusive game, even if shit, gets an automatic "+1" added to it's review score.
Old 06-10-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most exclusive games are pretty good though. Sony or MS are not going to pay millions to secure a game that could be extremely horrible.
Old 06-10-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I wonder if my prediction will come true...
"Maybe Prototype to inFamous will be like Saints Row 2 to GTA IV. If so... must buy."
I wouldn't say that, as Infamous is no GTAIV. Infamous is just a vanilla, more watered down, underpowered Prototype. GTAIV and Saint's Row were both great, one was serious, one wasn't. This is more like two games with a similar concept, one is forgettable and the other gets it right. The upgrades on Prototype are awesome and much, much deeper than Infamous. The more I play, the more like I like this game. Still plenty of room for improvement, but this is what I wanted for the most part.
I haven't played either, but it sounds a lot like Second Sight vs. PsiOps. One has the better powers and more fun, but the other has a better story, character, etc.
Old 06-10-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Most single player games cash in at 10 hours. Do you bash them too? Red Faction is 15 hours which is plenty for me. You sound really nit picky. I would hate to see what you thought of the masterpiece, Bioshock!
Bioshock was 12-14 on the low side if you rushed through everything(or played on Easy), 16-20 otherwise.
Old 06-10-09, 03:25 PM
Banned

Ok since JeffBase can't read (or game based on his other posts), I ENJOYED Infamous. No bash, it just wasn't great. I totally agree with the poster who said he felt like Kristen Bell and wanted to be Sylar. That is how I felt. In Prototype, you are Sylar. I liked Infamous, but for me, Prototype has the better powers, better epic feel, and better story. You really need to track down the web of intrigue targets to fully appreciate the story, but much more attention is paid to plot in Prototype. So please enough Infamous and let's talk about Prototype.
Old 06-10-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I got the game a few hours ago and played for about an hour before I couldn't take it anymore. You start out with all the powers but after a few minutes of intro playing you basically lose all of them except super jump and consume. The graphics remind me of True Crime 2 with less variety. The animations are decent but the trailing graphics like rocks falling off the building while running up the side leave me wondering why they didn't do better. You have rocks crumbling off the building but no damage left behind. WTF? The gameplay is no better and probably not even as good as Infamous was. I would give this game at most a 7 as I feel like I'm just playing a newer version of Spiderman with a different skin and varied superpowers.

As for the map of Manhattan it is laid out almost like a sheet of graph paper. You could basically run from the bottom of Manhattan to the top with veering to the left or right. The npcs are basically clones of one another with about 15 variants. Right in front of me I saw 3 ladies that were identical in appearance and clothing. The military personnel all look the same as well. If this game played like Mercs 2 with the powers and destructible environments I could like it a bit more but as it is the best I can say is that it is average and doesn't leave me wantng to play it. Infamous>>>Prototype
Old 06-10-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

So please enough Infamous and let's talk about Prototype.

Ok, played through until the open world kicks in. I've had more fun so far than I did with all of Infamous..... All in all, a lot of fun and after the letdowns of Red Faction and Infamous, Prototype is a welcome arrival.
You won't miss Infamous after you play Prototype. It would be like missing The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific when you could be playing Call of Duty. This takes the Infamous concept and makes it work.
You can't jack any car you want, which sucks, but your on-foot travel is 10X the speed of a car. This isn't Infamous where you move like a stone.
I wouldn't say that, as Infamous is no GTAIV. Infamous is just a vanilla, more watered down, underpowered Prototype. GTAIV and Saint's Row were both great, one was serious, one wasn't. This is more like two games with a similar concept, one is forgettable and the other gets it right. The upgrades on Prototype are awesome and much, much deeper than Infamous.
I have the platinum trophy on Infamous, so I got the full experience. My main issues with Infamous are that it is short, the side missions are lame (Prototype suffers from this as well, though it has more fun side missions at times), limited powers, and the very easy difficulty even on Hard mode.

Old 06-10-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok since JeffBase can't read (or game based on his other posts), I ENJOYED Infamous. No bash, it just wasn't great. I totally agree with the poster who said he felt like Kristen Bell and wanted to be Sylar. That is how I felt. In Prototype, you are Sylar. I liked Infamous, but for me, Prototype has the better powers, better epic feel, and better story. You really need to track down the web of intrigue targets to fully appreciate the story, but much more attention is paid to plot in Prototype. So please enough Infamous and let's talk about Prototype.
Lol, you obviously have bad taste to trash talk on Infamous. Your main complaint was the game length which is just retarded. Guess that means COD4 really sucks too.
Old 06-10-09, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker

Hence...enough. Jeff, please stalk someone else. XBLA sales figures await...
Old 06-10-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Im playing it right now, and so far am enjoying it. One thing I really like it the ability to pick up dropped guns and use them. I still like inFamous, but they are just 2 different games with the same idea. inFamous is slower and more isolated, where Prototype is faster and more populated.
Old 06-10-09, 09:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just started a few minutes, and while the graphics are much more rough than Infamous, the opening sequence had some truly wow moments. I hope the rest of the game lives up to that opening.
Old 06-10-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I just started a few minutes, and while the graphics are much more rough than Infamous, the opening sequence had some truly wow moments. I hope the rest of the game lives up to that opening.
Agreed. The opening reminded me of Heavenly Sword. Fully powered and all hells breaking loose. Then a "how did we get here" flashback.
Old 06-10-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

G4 Xplay Review

<object classId="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayerLg39071"><param name="movie" value="http://g4tv.com/lv3/39071" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://g4tv.com/lv3/39071" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="418" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>

http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/47101/Prototype/review/
Old 06-11-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^This is the second review I've heard where they say you have no range attacks (other than what you pick up and throw), yet they show footage of him firing guns and tanks. I'm confused.
Old 06-11-09, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

So looks like some people are saying it sucks, and some are saying it rocks.

I am on the fence.
Old 06-11-09, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friends and I were taking turns tonight at my house and we had a fucking blast. This game is as much fun to watch as it is to play.

At times, there is so much chaos going on it's insane. One mission had me defending one building while the army was trying to blow it up, and mutants were attacking both the army and me. There were missiles flying all over the place, body parts flying...insane.

I'm loving it so far.

(and there are plenty of range attacks...aside from the exterior weapons like rifles and missile launchers, some of the powers that you gain give you huge range)

= J
Old 06-11-09, 02:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After playing it for a few hours, it is a lot of fun but feels more repetitive than Infamous. Also, the overall package on Infamous is better, whereas the powers are cooler in Prototype.
Old 06-11-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I'll probably take a chance on it with Gamestop credit. Hell, maybe somebody already returned one and I can get it used and try it out. Doubtful, but worth a shot.
Old 06-11-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guesss I'll take a pass on this one. Too many comments about the graphics being really bad.
Old 06-11-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The graphics aren't bad. They're not as good as inFamous, but they're not bad.

The gameplay is great, the action is intense, and it's just plain fun. If you pass it up, it's your loss.

= J

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.