Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prototype (Activision, Radical Entertainment) - June 9th

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Prototype (Activision, Radical Entertainment) - June 9th

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I heard there was an embargo for the major sites like IGN and Gamespot.
Yeah but why? Shit is driving me crazy man - It's not like I'm even hearing mixed reviews. For the most part, every user review I have read has been positive.
Old 06-09-09, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, played through until the open world kicks in. I've had more fun so far than I did with all of Infamous. In Prototype, you feel like you're super powered. Not some guy who happens to have electric powers, but an amped up beast with almost limitless power. You can cover immense land in seconds, super powered jumps (that can be upgraded to insane levels), the travel pace is just sick. Sadly, hard mode is locked, but Normal seems way too easy, as usual. The parkour is fun and lets you focus on the action, but I can see why some might not like it and carrying the shield removes it anyway. The climbing is automatic too, so you can really go crazy because this dude is an animal. The gliding is sweet, so are mid-air direction shifts. The action is super violent and I can only imagine it gets better once you acquire the sick powers ahead. The disguise element is awesome, you can pick up and use any dropped weapon, and the controls are good, but a little "floaty" at times. All in all, a lot of fun and after the letdowns of Red Faction and Infamous, Prototype is a welcome arrival.
Old 06-09-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey FusionX, I watched some video of one of the developers showing a demo. He said that you can morph into anyone you touch on the street. Is this true? Can you just go up and grab some old lady and then shape-shift into her? If so, how different looking are the random people in the streets?

I went to rent the game, but they hadn't received it yet. They said they should be getting it tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to check it out then.

Oh, and are there buildings you can enter (like GTA) or are they all just there for climbing?

Thanks
Old 06-09-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can grab anyone and shape into them. Basically, you pick them up, press a button, and steal their identity.

When I was playing, the buildings were just there for climbing, but I only played for a little bit.

= J
Old 06-09-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's sounds awesome. I'm glad to hear that it's better than Infamous, but to tell you the truth I'm kind of missing that game after being away from it for a week. Every time I see a commercial or print ad I want to go rent it again.

(OT..Tarantino, you have got to listen to Mos Def's new album "The Ecstatic". I know you like hip-hop and it's the best I've heard in a long while.)

Last edited by dino88; 06-09-09 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dino88
That's sounds awesome. I'm glad to hear that it's better than Infamous, but to tell you the truth I'm kind of missing that game after being away from it for a week. Every time I see a commercial or print ad I want to go rent it again.
You won't miss Infamous after you play Prototype. It would be like missing The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific when you could be playing Call of Duty. This takes the Infamous concept and makes it work. The various city dwellers are quite different, so there's a lot of potential disguises, not to mention police, agents, etc.
Old 06-09-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by FusionX
You won't miss Infamous after you play Prototype. It would be like missing The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific when you could be playing Call of Duty. This takes the Infamous concept and makes it work. The various city dwellers are quite different, so there's a lot of potential disguises, not to mention police, agents, etc.
Can you walk into buildings and jack any car you want? Also, you've said you've played until the open world kicks in...how long does it take before you can free roam?

Lastly, how are the graphics?

Glad to hear the positive feedback.
Old 06-09-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/992/992950p1.html

IGN review is up. 7.5
Old 06-09-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Graphics seemed to take the most heat in that IGN review. I only looked at the summary at the end though, as I'm waiting to get my own impressions. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 06-09-09, 10:25 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as I expected....7.5 from IGN... I bet gametrailers gives it a 7.5-8. The makers of Prototype spent a lot of money getting those early reviews out...and holding IGN and other reviews sites back. I will wait until it is under 25...
Old 06-09-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have no idea who these other review sites are, but they're much higher.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...pe?q=prototype
Old 06-09-09, 10:41 PM
Banned

You can't jack any car you want, which sucks, but your on-foot travel is 10X the speed of a car. This isn't Infamous where you move like a stone. Also, graphics are not great. Good, but not great. Free roam kicks in pretty quick, just some brief "tutorial" missions and cut-scenes to establish the story, then you're cut loose. I played quite a bit of free roam and it is really fun and very visceral. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy, but judging by responses in other threads, most people prefer easy games.
Old 06-09-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pre-ordered from Amazon.ca since their price is the cheapest here in Canada at $56.99 (with free shipping) whereas all stores are selling for $69.99 so it was tempting to get but their release date is June 16 so i'm going to wait til then.
Old 06-09-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Wow, IGN liked inFamous better?

6.5 in presentation, and 5.5 in graphics? I guess people complaing about graphics weren't very wrong after all.

I might have just saved myself $60.

Last edited by nickdawgy; 06-09-09 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 11:37 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't jack any car you want, which sucks, but your on-foot travel is 10X the speed of a car. This isn't Infamous where you move like a stone. Also, graphics are not great. Good, but not great. Free roam kicks in pretty quick, just some brief "tutorial" missions and cut-scenes to establish the story, then you're cut loose. I played quite a bit of free roam and it is really fun and very visceral. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy, but judging by responses in other threads, most people prefer easy games.
Well the IGN review says the game gets REAL hard later in the game...so you have that to look forward to.
Old 06-10-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like the only thing they liked about the game was the powers.
Old 06-10-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if my prediction will come true...

"Maybe Prototype to inFamous will be like Saints Row 2 to GTA IV. If so... must buy."

We'll see.
Old 06-10-09, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I wonder if my prediction will come true...

"Maybe Prototype to inFamous will be like Saints Row 2 to GTA IV. If so... must buy."

We'll see.
I wouldn't say that, as Infamous is no GTAIV. Infamous is just a vanilla, more watered down, underpowered Prototype. GTAIV and Saint's Row were both great, one was serious, one wasn't. This is more like two games with a similar concept, one is forgettable and the other gets it right. The upgrades on Prototype are awesome and much, much deeper than Infamous. The more I play, the more like I like this game. Still plenty of room for improvement, but this is what I wanted for the most part.
Old 06-10-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I wouldn't say that, as Infamous is no GTAIV. Infamous is just a vanilla, more watered down, underpowered Prototype. GTAIV and Saint's Row were both great, one was serious, one wasn't. This is more like two games with a similar concept, one is forgettable and the other gets it right. The upgrades on Prototype are awesome and much, much deeper than Infamous. The more I play, the more like I like this game. Still plenty of room for improvement, but this is what I wanted for the most part.
The more I read you write about inFamous, the more I wonder if you played the same game I'm playing. My game is fun, varied and to your comment that it's short, well maybe if you skip the side missions, but other wise it's taking me a good long time.
I'm at a bit of a loss on Prototype since I haven't played it, but you went on and on about how inFamous' graphics weren't that good, yet I think they're pretty great (if not varied enough). No criticisms like what IGN says about Prototype with such bad pop in that you can't find an orb 20 feet in front of you. To me that sounds like a huge problem in an open-world game.
I'm glad you like it, but for me, inFamous will hold me for now and I'll catch this one when it has it's eventual price drop.
Old 06-10-09, 02:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
The more I read you write about inFamous, the more I wonder if you played the same game I'm playing. My game is fun, varied and to your comment that it's short, well maybe if you skip the side missions, but other wise it's taking me a good long time.
I'm at a bit of a loss on Prototype since I haven't played it, but you went on and on about how inFamous' graphics weren't that good, yet I think they're pretty great (if not varied enough). No criticisms like what IGN says about Prototype with such bad pop in that you can't find an orb 20 feet in front of you. To me that sounds like a huge problem in an open-world game.
I'm glad you like it, but for me, inFamous will hold me for now and I'll catch this one when it has it's eventual price drop.
I have the platinum trophy on Infamous, so I got the full experience. My main issues with Infamous are that it is short, the side missions are lame (Prototype suffers from this as well, though it has more fun side missions at times), limited powers, and the very easy difficulty even on Hard mode. I didn't notice "pop" any worse than on Red Faction and it was distant, never right in the front if the action. Prototype is by no means an elite level game, but it has the kind of fun and depth I wanted from Infamous and Red Faction, but didn't get. The visuals on Infamous look very soft to me, on both a 101" front projector and a 50" plasma. Prototype isn't much better, but the image seems less soft. Neither game offers much visual spark. In the end, I feel like a supervillain in Prototype, whereas Infamous was a generic sandbox game with some minor electrical powers.
Old 06-10-09, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is the quote I look to when I hear most of FusionX's continual bashing of inFAMOUS and his pre-release hard on for Prototype

I don't get the faith in reviews. I'd invest a few bucks and rent to see for myself, than take someone else's highly subjective word.
back to playing inFAMOUS a supposedly "short game" that is taking up countless hours of my time
Old 06-10-09, 03:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by musick
here is the quote I look to when I hear most of FusionX's continual bashing of inFAMOUS and his pre-release hard on for Prototype

back to playing inFAMOUS a supposedly "short game" that is taking up countless hours of my time
Dude, I am not bashing Infamous. I bought the game, played it to full completion, and had fun. I just wanted a richer, longer experience, not a week's worth of decent fun. Again, I liked Infamous, it just failed to cash in on its potential. Prototype is better, but again, misses out on some elements. I think people should play Infamous, it is fun, but it is suited as a rental. So far Prototype appears to be the same, about a week's worth, but the experience is much richer. I just want more than a week's worth of content for $60. But one more time, I am not bashing Infamous, I own it and conquered it in total. But yeah, a week of casual play is short in my opinion.

EDIT: The upgrade system in Prototype is just awesome. It covers such a broad base of powers and abilities, plus all the usual health/damage topics. I'm interested to see how deep into the game this system goes. I also doubt I'll ever get the achievement for finishing the game while consuming 10 or less civilians. BTW, if you thought Altair's shoving people aside was funny, Alex Mercer takes it to a whole new level. Just passing by using the parkour, I grabbed a woman and punched her in the face.

Last edited by FusionX; 06-10-09 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, I am not bashing Infamous. I bought the game, played it to full completion, and had fun. I just wanted a richer, longer experience, not a week's worth of decent fun. Again, I liked Infamous, it just failed to cash in on its potential. Prototype is better, but again, misses out on some elements. I think people should play Infamous, it is fun, but it is suited as a rental. So far Prototype appears to be the same, about a week's worth, but the experience is much richer. I just want more than a week's worth of content for $60. But one more time, I am not bashing Infamous, I own it and conquered it in total. But yeah, a week of casual play is short in my opinion.

EDIT: The upgrade system in Prototype is just awesome. It covers such a broad base of powers and abilities, plus all the usual health/damage topics. I'm interested to see how deep into the game this system goes. I also doubt I'll ever get the achievement for finishing the game while consuming 10 or less civilians. BTW, if you thought Altair's shoving people aside was funny, Alex Mercer takes it to a whole new level. Just passing by using the parkour, I grabbed a woman and punched her in the face.
With the price of entertainment now a days, 60 bucks for 1 week of entertainment is pretty good imo. I would spend way more if I wasn't cooped up playing this game.
Old 06-10-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The reviews are about what I expected, and I understand why they held them back.

This is the kind of game that reviewers nitpick, but players really get into...if it's what they're looking for. I'll get it at some point but will buy used to minimize my support for Activision, whom I loathe.
Old 06-10-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The visuals on Infamous look very soft to me, on both a 101" front projector and a 50" plasma.
I thought that game looked really really sharp. Lots of details on buildings and such. I was playing on a 50" plasma as well, and I severely disagree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.