Official PS3 Thread - March 09 Edition

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - March 09 Edition

Old 11-27-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Re: Official PS3 Thread - March 09 Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
The "exclusive dlc" you mention is a downloadable chocoba for your avatar. And that's it.
And you don't need the game for that. Sounds like the PS3 version might be preferable.
Old 11-27-09, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No install and 500kb needed for saves.

...and are people still bitching about game installs? The difference was night and day for SFIV with regards to loading if you installed. I'd GLADLY wait 5-10 minutes for loading to be damn near non-existent.

Last edited by spamurai; 11-27-09 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-27-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Ok, it probably has been covered but I went back a couple of pages and stopped... how stupid is it to have to leave a disc in all the time to use Netflix streaming. It's ok to need the disc one time to set up, but ... every ... single ... time ... really, Sony/Netflix?
I know, life is hard.
Old 11-27-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I know, life is hard.
No, it just sucks when you use it pretty much every day as a BR player and have to keep switching out discs. It's a streaming service. But it looks like as soon as the MS contract runs out in 2010 they'll have an update to get rid of the disc. Although I probably will just keep using the Tivo for streaming until that happens.
Old 11-27-09, 10:37 AM

Netflix already confirmed it'll be implemented into the firmware later this year which pretty much confirms the rumor that M$ signed a 2 year deal and Netflix/Sony worked around it by requiring a disc.

It's somewhat of a hassle but it's better than nothing.
Old 11-27-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's actually kind of brilliant then by Sony and Netflix to legally get around the contract with a physical disc while they work on a good streaming software It'll be great once the push the firmware upgrade.
Old 11-27-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by spamurai
Netflix already confirmed it'll be implemented into the firmware later this year which pretty much confirms the rumor that M$ signed a 2 year deal and Netflix/Sony worked around it by requiring a disc.

It's somewhat of a hassle but it's better than nothing.
It's actually in another year, like Oct 2010 -- that makes it a 2 year window. I agree, now it's still way better than nothing, and it's nice that there isn't any subscription requirement with the service like Xbox requires with Gold memberships.
Old 11-27-09, 02:00 PM
Banned

I didn't see it coming, but we've been using the Netflix streaming disc for PS3 quite a bit. My daughter is watching some dumbass kids show on it right now.
Old 11-27-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been a PS3 owner for some time but I have a game sharing question for the pros on here.

My Dad bought a PS3 so that we could chat with them and so they could see their grandson more often. When I went home to see them for the holiday I set the PS3 up, added me as one of the users and downloaded all the games that I bought over the years onto their system. The games I have bought are all single player ones so I have a question about the new Madden arcade game. Could I buy that on my system, have my Dad download it on his system under my ID and could we play each other? I wasn't sure if it was that generous with digital rights and all that stuff that we could both play a multiplayer game together that we technically only bought. I hate to be cheap but I hate football and my Dad sucks at games but it would be nice for us to find something we could do together on the system. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 11-27-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I think as long as your user account is on his PS3 he can play the games you downloaded under a separate ID.
Old 11-27-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to a couple of Walmarts around 11 am and saw a few people carrying out PS3s. Is the PS3 selling really well these holidays? From my experience it seems.

And no, I didn't see anyone with Wiis or Xboxes.
Old 11-27-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Went to a couple of Walmarts around 11 am and saw a few people carrying out PS3s. Is the PS3 selling really well these holidays? From my experience it seems.

I bought my third PS3 today. I will keep it as a spare until one of my 60s goes out. I got it because I wanted the two games with it: Ratchet: Crack in Time and Little Big Planet: GOTY Edtion. I also needed another Dual Shock controller so this was the best way for me. Now, my question is how do the slim PS3s run? Are they quieter than the 60s as the 60 in our bedroom is quite loud when were watching movies on it and that is what we do most of the time with the one in the bedroom. The one in the living room isn't really heard because it is drowned out by the surround system. Any information would be great.
Old 11-27-09, 03:30 PM

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...iday-shopping/

Sony shipped each store an exclusive bundle including a Slim and 2 games for $299. Smart move.

...and the games aren't throw-ins like the Xbox bundles. I would've been all over the Gamestop bundle if my launch showed signs of bricking.
Old 11-27-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3

In my opinion the games they're bundling with the X-Box right now are shit compared to the ones in the different PS3 bundles. Besides that they are both now bundling out at 299 and I think that many people are realizing that there are some added expenses to the X-Box when it comes to getting it online ready.
Old 11-27-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I have been a PS3 owner for some time but I have a game sharing question for the pros on here.

My Dad bought a PS3 so that we could chat with them and so they could see their grandson more often. When I went home to see them for the holiday I set the PS3 up, added me as one of the users and downloaded all the games that I bought over the years onto their system. The games I have bought are all single player ones so I have a question about the new Madden arcade game. Could I buy that on my system, have my Dad download it on his system under my ID and could we play each other? I wasn't sure if it was that generous with digital rights and all that stuff that we could both play a multiplayer game together that we technically only bought. I hate to be cheap but I hate football and my Dad sucks at games but it would be nice for us to find something we could do together on the system. Thanks for your help everyone.
You might be able to play each other. You won't hurt anything to try, but a lot of online games are set up so that only one activated system can be active online at a time. There's usually a 24hour time window.
Old 11-27-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And..... the PS3 plays Blu-rays.
Old 11-27-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
And..... the PS3 plays Blu-rays.
And we have over 400 of them. Win win for us!!!
Old 11-27-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But you can't use the PS3 slim as a hair dryer.
Old 11-27-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely get into console wars and I hope this doesn't get misconstrued as console bashing, as all three current consoles are examples of great products each with its own strengths and weaknesses.

But people were really getting in Sony's case about the high cost of the console and bundling it with a mandatory BR player. But from the beginning I thought that Sony was sacrificing initial profit and market share for the real battle - HD-DVD vs. BR. And some started buying the console, mostly those with a little cash to burn, and hey why not buy a BR or two. So I think Sony bundling the PS3 with the BR player and sacrificing those extra $$s and street cred in the beginning helped BR win the format war and now that THAT'S taken care of, it's doing a 360 (no pun intended) and helping sell consoles. Sell a PS3 and not only do you make money on the games, but on the movies.

So I think Sony's really an underappreciated marketing genius
Old 11-27-09, 06:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

From my shopping today, it did seem that more people were buying XBoxes than anything else. What usually happens on black fridays is that people get so into the hype of getting stuff for cheap that they don't care about the quality of what is being offered with the product. I don't really care about the XBox v. PS3 stuff, but it is clear that all the PS3 bundled games were head and shoulders about the bundled XBox games. I mean, seriously, Little Big Planet/Rachet Clank/Arkham Asylum/God of War Collection/inFamous were the games at Best Buy/Walmart/Gamestop. But people saw that the XBox came with 6 games and they freaked out thinking it was clearly the better deal. No one thinks about how good or bad a game like Madagascar will be on black friday when they think they are getting the best deals ever. I saw a post on a coupon blog about a lady getting a DS for her son that came with 5 free games. To her, 5 games were a deal and because she wasn't going to play them...it didn't matter what they were.

Sorry for how bad this post is...I haven't slept in 30+ hours...

Last edited by david12; 11-27-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-27-09, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by david12
From my shopping today, it did seem that more people were buying XBoxes than anything else. What usually happens on black fridays is that people get so into the hype of getting stuff for cheap that they don't care about the quality of what is being offered with the product. I don't really care about the XBox v. PS3 stuff, but it is clear that all the PS3 bundled games were head and shoulders about the bundled XBox games. I mean, seriously, Little Big Planet/Rachet Clank/Arkham Asylum/God of War Collection/inFamous were the games at Best Buy/Walmart/Gamestop. But people saw that the XBox came with 6 games and they freaked out thinking it was clearly the better deal. No one thinks about how good or bad a game like Madagascar will be on black friday when they think they are getting the best deals ever. I saw a post on a coupon blog about a lady getting a DS for her son that came with 5 free games. To her, 5 games were a deal and because she wasn't going to play them...it didn't matter what they were.

Sorry for how bad this post is...I haven't slept in 30+ hours...

I bought my first PS3 at Gamestop and I noticed pretty equal 360/PS3 sales.

PS: I'm closing in on hour 30, I'm off work in two minutes. Nap time, then Little Big Planet!
Old 11-27-09, 10:53 PM

If I have an external hard drive (western digital) full of AVI files, is there a way I can hook it up and play them through the PS3 (slim) system?
Old 11-27-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should be able to plug it into the USB port.
Old 11-27-09, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by John Slider
If I have an external hard drive (western digital) full of AVI files, is there a way I can hook it up and play them through the PS3 (slim) system?
Yes. The drive may have to be FAT32 however. (Or maybe it's the other one? Can't remember.) Connect it via USB to the front of the ps3, scroll over to video on your xmb, scroll down to your hard drive, press triangle, display all, and then select the video you want.

I have my ps3 hooked up to my media server over the network and plays avis, vobs, mp3s, and on and on. Works out great.
Old 11-28-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does the PS3 play DIVX now? I have a USB drive to try out...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.