Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Weekly Tuesday Warhawk night

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Any interest in a Weekly Warhawk night?

Originally Posted by chess
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I had friendly damage turned off, so you could shoot your teammates to your heart's content.
When i was playing I could see a character in the distance but his name never showed up. As i got closer the name on top of the head appeared. I guess that's some form of pop in or whatever it's called.
Old 03-30-09, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warhawk Wednesday has a nice ring to it though...and I am up for any other weekday if that will get more people in the game.
There's no way I'd make it through a Thursday spoiler-free at work if I don't see Lost as it airs.

If we're going to a weeknight, I'd prefer Monday or Tuesday.
Old 03-30-09, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I had friendly damage turned off, so you could shoot your teammates to your heart's content.
And I had fun exhausting a flamethrower on my teammate to find that out.
Old 03-30-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
When i was playing I could see a character in the distance but his name never showed up. As i got closer the name on top of the head appeared. I guess that's some form of pop in or whatever it's called.
Friendlies should show up across the map.

The distance at which you can see the other team is dictated by what weapon they are carrying, how recently they've fired, and whether they are crouched.

Tip 1: If you are just running around a big map, equip the knife or the pistol, as it makes you much more stealthy.

Tip 2: Reload the machine gun (R on the d-pad) after EVERY encounter. It generally takes a full clip to kill somebody, so whoever has the full clip tends to win.
Old 03-30-09, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tuesday has a nice ring to it. I could start after dinner my time (7 CST or so) and play till bedtime (~11 CST).

Who's on board with Tuesday? If enough of you are, I'll start tomorrow.
Old 03-30-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
And I had fun exhausting a flamethrower on my teammate to find that out.

I tried to tell you, but I was also kind of amused.

Chew [pumping several clips, grenades and a flamethrower into me while I stand there looking quizzically over a period of 20-30 seconds]: "How are you doing that!!!!"
Chess: "Dude, I'm on your team"
Chew: "Oh, well that makes sense."

Old 03-30-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And as promised, but a day late, the weekly report.

As I said, it was a pretty weak showing, but we still had a good time (or at least I did).

It's pretty tough to sort out which PSN names are associated with whom on here, but as best I can figure out, we had:

Myself
Chew
Ravenous
Ocelot
mhg
Murray

I think the most we had on at once was 4, so like I said, I just played a lot of 2 on one. I had to play a bit "dirty" in one particularly hectic capture the flag game...just because 1 vs. 2 in capture the flag is a nightmare...so sorry about those mines fellas!

We went from 6 (which seems to be too early) with me and Chew till about 10:30 with me and Ravenous. I think if I'd stuck to regular deathmatch, it would have been fine, but it's really hard to play team games with a group that small.

Next time, I'll load mostly death match with CTF and TDM showing up in the heart of the rotation (about 1-2 hours in).
Old 03-30-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tuesday has a nice ring to it. I could start after dinner my time (7 CST or so) and play till bedtime (~11 CST).

Who's on board with Tuesday? If enough of you are, I'll start tomorrow.
My alarm goes off on workdays at 5:00, so I won't be playing much more than 2.5-3 hours, but Tuesday works for me.
Old 03-30-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, it was the mines... i figure i didn't do anything to kill myself

well, i got chewed and i got pawned, but i had fun. Got me two trophies Thanks!

Afterward, i went to do some training, i completed the foot and vehicle training (learned some interesting basic stuff), but having trouble with the pilot license, i couldn't pass the final exam...
Old 03-30-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
So, it was the mines... i figure i didn't do anything to kill myself
If you hear beeping...

Hand grenades are good for clearing mines...just be sure to keep your distance.

well, i got chewed and i got pawned, but i had fun. Got me two trophies Thanks!
"chewed"

Afterward, i went to do some training, i completed the foot and vehicle training (learned some interesting basic stuff), but having trouble with the pilot license, i couldn't pass the final exam...
That's a tough one, even if you know what you're doing. You really have to know how to dodge missiles, and having your flight options on "pro-flight" really helps in that regard.

My usual technique for missile dodging in pro-flight is both sticks up, then half half-circle around to the bottom. It basically makes you go down, gives you just enough of a waggle to break the missile lock, and then brings the nose back up. You essentially return to the same orientation (direction/pitch) that you were already in. I find the missile dodging technique in regular flight very disorienting, and I can't even remember how to do it.

It's been a while since I did the tutorial, but I think you also really have to work the perimeter of the island. If you get in the middle of that pack of drones, you're just asking for trouble.
Old 03-30-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My alarm goes off on workdays at 5:00, so I won't be playing much more than 2.5-3 hours, but Tuesday works for me.
3 hours sounds just about perfect.

Anybody else?
Old 03-30-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you hear beeping...

Hand grenades are good for clearing mines...just be sure to keep your distance.
ah, cool piece of advice, i did hear some beeps, but you know how things are, it's quite confusing in the actual battle, a lot going on at the same time. I guess if looks suspicious, throw a grenade or two...

That's a tough one, even if you know what you're doing. You really have to know how to dodge missiles, and having your flight options on "pro-flight" really helps in that regard.

My usual technique for missile dodging in pro-flight is both sticks up, then half half-circle around to the bottom. It basically makes you go down, gives you just enough of a waggle to break the missile lock, and then brings the nose back up. You essentially return to the same orientation (direction/pitch) that you were already in. I find the missile dodging technique in regular flight very disorienting, and I can't even remember how to do it.

It's been a while since I did the tutorial, but I think you also really have to work the perimeter of the island. If you get in the middle of that pack of drones, you're just asking for trouble.
I see... yeah totally agree with the disorienting part. I dodged the missile locking warning like crazy and then only to find myself locked on by another attacker, ah...
Old 03-30-09, 11:14 AM

3 hours sounds just about perfect.

Anybody else?
Sorry for being MIA this last time. Tuesdays or other weeknights are probably better for me than Saturdays are. I could definitely handle 1-3 hours of gaming before heading to bed. So if Tuesday is the new Saturday, I'll definitely try to be there.
Old 03-30-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If one more person can commit to Tuesday, I'll make the switch...first game tomorrow.

Going once...
Old 03-30-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can do Tuesday but I can't be on until about 8-8:30 central time.
Old 03-30-09, 11:32 AM

Anybody else?

I'll try to get in. And try to avoid my 'ol ways.
Old 03-30-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sold!

We're moving to Tuesdays. I'll have the server up no later than 7 CST tomorrow...maybe a bit earlier.

Same password.
Old 03-30-09, 12:05 PM

I can do Tuesdays a little easier than Saturdays as well. I probably wouldn't be on until 8:30ish Mountain time.
Old 03-30-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, what was with the other [early] headset? (was it Ocelot?) All I could hear was mumbling interference/noise and couldn't make anything out. Was it bluetooth?

chess, could you understand him? I just want to make sure it wasn't on my end in case I need to adjust something.

And I'll be there at 7CST tomorrow!
Old 03-30-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, what was with the other [early] headset? (was it Ocelot?) All I could hear was mumbling interference/noise and couldn't make anything out. Was it bluetooth?

chess, could you understand him? I just want to make sure it wasn't on my end in case I need to adjust something.

And I'll be there at 7CST tomorrow!
Actually, I think that was mhg83. Yeah, he didn't say much, and when he did it didn't sound good. Generally folks have their sensitivity set wayyyyy too high. As a rule, I would say that if I sounded OK, your settings are probably fine.

For everybody: In your PS3 accessories menu, adjust your input down to about 2 bars, and in the Warhawk in-game options, adjust the mic sensitivity down to the 30-40 range (default is like 75).
Old 03-30-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey Im in for Tuesdays!

Thatll be way easier than Saturdays as Sats keep me in and out of games. After our 1 on 1 chess, I just took off and hit the bars But Tuesdays is garbage time, thatll be fun.

Maybe a mod can change the title to show its moved to Tues? More peeps may join.
Old 03-30-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Hey Im in for Tuesdays!

Thatll be way easier than Saturdays as Sats keep me in and out of games. After our 1 on 1 chess, I just took off and hit the bars But Tuesdays is garbage time, thatll be fun.

Maybe a mod can change the title to show its moved to Tues? More peeps may join.
I already changed the OP, but that's a good idea. I'll send L&O a PM.
Old 03-31-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Weekly Tuesday Warhawk night

I'm definitely going to try to get into the game tonight. I haven't played in months and I've pretty much forgotten the controls. There will definitely be a re-learning curve. And I wasn't any good to begin with.

If anyone receives a Friend Request from Flipperbaby, that's me.
Old 03-31-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I'm definitely going to try to get into the game tonight. I haven't played in months and I've pretty much forgotten the controls. There will definitely be a re-learning curve. And I wasn't any good to begin with.

If anyone receives a Friend Request from Flipperbaby, that's me.
Cool. Just send me the request. (frizby)
All other instructions are in the OP.
Old 03-31-09, 02:46 PM

If my twins cooperate... I'll try to get on tonight as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.