Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Weekly Tuesday Warhawk night

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any interest in a Weekly Warhawk night?

Originally Posted by murray731
Sorry I missed the fun Saturday night, we had some people over and by the time they left and I logged in, the Warhawk goodness was over . I'll try to join in this week for the team DM/CTF maps.
No worries! Hope to see you this weekend.

I'm having a craptacular week chained to my desk, and I'm looking forward to cruising around some Warhawk maps.
Old 03-27-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will you be trying the ethernet option this weekend like you suggested earlier?

I have my wired headset and 12ft of extension USB cable.....I'm ready for tomorrow.
Old 03-27-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm gonna try to join the party this weekend...

I just realized that i do have a headset, the WH headset comes with the game, duh! I use the Eye all the time though... The Eye is not good for WH right?
Old 03-27-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Will you be trying the ethernet option this weekend like you suggested earlier?

I have my wired headset and 12ft of extension USB cable.....I'm ready for tomorrow.
I'm glad you asked. I need to borrow a LONG cable from work today.

Honestly, I'm worried that we'll even get the 8 we need to fill out the teams.

Glad you got that headset Chew...just make sure you change your settings in the PS3 accessories menu...and you can turn your input level way down with a wired set. You just want the level to go up 1 or 2 bars on the tester when you speak at normal volume.
Old 03-27-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of my local friends are planning a Warhawk night tomorrow night. It was going to be a local match and not online. I was going to take my PS3 and game over to a friends house. However, the weather here is supposed to be heavy snow today and tomorrow so if the roads are bad I might not go. Either way I'll be playing Warhawk tomorrow night.
Old 03-27-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
Glad you got that headset Chew...just make sure you change your settings in the PS3 accessories menu...and you can turn your input level way down with a wired set. You just want the level to go up 1 or 2 bars on the tester when you speak at normal volume.
Hopefully, I'll have all the proper settings figured out beforehand this time.
Old 03-27-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
Some of my local friends are planning a Warhawk night tomorrow night. It was going to be a local match and not online. I was going to take my PS3 and game over to a friends house. However, the weather here is supposed to be heavy snow today and tomorrow so if the roads are bad I might not go. Either way I'll be playing Warhawk tomorrow night.
Hopefully it will be with us!

It's still fun on a split screen, but seeing where everybody is does take some of the fun out of it. There's nothing like looking over 1 screen and seeing yourself on the wrong end of a scope!
Old 03-27-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did get a new headset, Creative HS-1000. I'll try to get with you guys to try it out.
Old 03-27-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts

When is the session? 6PM EST? I'll try to make it, but usually I can't play until my kids are in bed after 8pm PST.
Old 03-27-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
When is the session? 6PM EST? I'll try to make it, but usually I can't play until my kids are in bed after 8pm PST.
6 CST actually, and we've been going till 10-11 CST. Hopefully folks will play a bit later than last week.

This week, I'll be spending most of my time trying to keep the teams balanced I suspect.
Old 03-27-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I was at Sears today and they had Warhawk with headset on clearance for $10! So I ended up buying it and was wondering if i could be added to the clan or whatever its called? I've never played a ps3 game online so this will be my first experience. My psn id is bauer83.

and how the hell do you wear the headset??? Cant for the life of me figure the damn thing out

Last edited by mhg83; 03-27-09 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-27-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome. That's a great deal.

If you read through the thread, all will be answered. You just need to synch the headset with your PS3. That headset is usable, but takes some tweaking to get it right. Just be sure not to turn the input up too high.

We're not a clan, though I guess we could be someday...just a bunch of novices playing strictly for fun. I just moderate and drop the banhammer on anybody who's too good or taking it too seriously...or both.

I'd run through the tutorials before you come on at a minimum.
Old 03-27-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Yeah, it ain't too comfortable. That knob part goes in your ear, the hook behind your ear and the front points towards your mouth. Enjoy.
Keep your eye out for a sale or clearance on the Endwar set with the "official" PS3 headset. It's much better and much more comfortable.
Old 03-28-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have the server loaded in about an hour folks! I picked the maps this morning.
Old 03-28-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay I synced my mic up,downloaded updates and am ready to go tonight.

I just checked out online deathmatch a few minutes ago. Very fun stuff. After a few matches i finally got the hang of it. My favorite weapon is the knife. I was able to pull off 45 kills in one match! But man people are sore losers. I kept getting called f a g throughout the whole thing. Was pretty funny pissing off the mouthbreathers Do they not like the knife or something?

Cant wait to play you guys.

Last edited by mhg83; 03-28-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-28-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whats a mouthbreather? Thats an insult?

Yea I look forward to getting knifed the whole match. I may make it tonight. Got some things to do but when broke, cant really have a nightlife.
Old 03-28-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty weak showing tonight.

Myself and 5-6 others came out (will list tomorrow), but I think 4 was the most we had at any one time.

Still, I went from 6-10:30 and always had somebody on. I played a lot of 2 on 1, and the extra challenge was nice, but I'd much rather play 4 on 4.

I'm not giving up yet...especially since I look forward to this all week!
Old 03-29-09, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry I missed you guys tonight. My party was pretty fun. We two PS3's with 4 people on each. Both projected on 100" screens. And we had 2 other people online for a total of 10. Played from 7 to 12.

This game has some weak points compared to other shooters I've played like COD and Halo series. First the auto aiming is really cheap. You don't hardly have to try to stay locked on to someone. Second, the spawning really sucks. Most of the time you spawn right on an enemy. With nothing but a knife and pistol at first it makes it difficult to switch to the knife before you're spawn killed The other thing I don't like is switching weapons. I don't like that you have to move your thumb from the analog stick over to the D-pad to switch. Gears of War is like that but you don't have 8 options to pick from either. These are just nit picks though. The game is still pretty fun. I'll try to make it again next weekend.
Old 03-29-09, 02:42 AM

Second, the spawning really sucks. Most of the time you spawn right on an enemy. With nothing but a knife and pistol at first it makes it difficult to switch to the knife before you're spawn killed The other thing I don't like is switching weapons.

Well, that would be the case on Deathmatch only, because in the rest of the game types you get to choose where to spawn and you ONLY spawn in a friendly base.
As for being spawn killed, you get a couple of seconds of invisibility, more than enough time to switch to the blade before you actually spawn and become stealth to radar the moment you get into the game.
Also, if you compare this game to ANY FPS, you won't enjoy it as much. That's why I try not to.
Old 03-29-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a lot of fun last night. One other complaint is there were times when it took a few seconds for the name of the character to pop up. I didn't want to shoot my teammate so i waited but the other character stated gunning me down. I wonder if its the speed of my dsl that makes things a bit slower? Anyone have the same problem?
Old 03-29-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would love to participate but it's just really hard for me to get spare time on a Saturday night.

If we could come up with a group for Wednesday night, I'd buy in. C'mon. Anyone in for Wednesday?
Old 03-29-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I would love to participate but it's just really hard for me to get spare time on a Saturday night.

If we could come up with a group for Wednesday night, I'd buy in. C'mon. Anyone in for Wednesday?
But Lost is on!

I was hoping to join up last night, but I've had a film crew in my apartment for the weekend. They were supposed to be done last night and hook my tv and ps3 back up, but to no avail. I'm shooting for this coming Saturday however.
Old 03-29-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri

To get some idea how much I like LOST, play my LittleBigPlanet level: Little LOST.

Warhawk Wednesday has a nice ring to it though...and I am up for any other weekday if that will get more people in the game.
Old 03-29-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
I had a lot of fun last night. One other complaint is there were times when it took a few seconds for the name of the character to pop up. I didn't want to shoot my teammate so i waited but the other character stated gunning me down. I wonder if its the speed of my dsl that makes things a bit slower? Anyone have the same problem?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I had friendly damage turned off, so you could shoot your teammates to your heart's content.
Old 03-29-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry I missed you guys tonight. My party was pretty fun. We two PS3's with 4 people on each. Both projected on 100" screens. And we had 2 other people online for a total of 10. Played from 7 to 12.
Sounds like a good time Ed!

This game has some weak points compared to other shooters I've played like COD and Halo series.
To be fair, this is much more than just a shooter with the vehicles/turrets/Warhawks.

First the auto aiming is really cheap. You don't hardly have to try to stay locked on to someone.
I actually find this more realistic. How "hard" is it to aim a gun?

Second, the spawning really sucks. Most of the time you spawn right on an enemy. With nothing but a knife and pistol at first it makes it difficult to switch to the knife before you're spawn killed
First, when you spawn, you're invisible for 5 seconds or so. Second, you also have 2 grenades when you spawn. Third, this is only a problem on small maps and only in deathmatch.

The other thing I don't like is switching weapons. I don't like that you have to move your thumb from the analog stick over to the D-pad to switch. Gears of War is like that but you don't have 8 options to pick from either.
The ones you use regularly become very second nature over time, but I struggled with this a bit too at first.

These are just nit picks though. The game is still pretty fun. I'll try to make it again next weekend.
I'm glad you like it despite the nits. Hope to see you next week!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.