Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Weekly Tuesday Warhawk night

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 11:20 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Re: Weekly Tuesday Warhawk night

Originally Posted by chess
- Nic is on a rock formation in Badlands (I assume binocing people) and Spatula lands behind him and is about to wrench him. I push Spatula off the cliff for a suicide with my Warhawk.
Then I respawned on the same cliff and knifed Nic, anyway.

Fun night, all.
Old 03-16-11, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Then I respawned on the same cliff and knifed Nic, anyway.

Fun night, all.
I'm sure he deserved it.

Reminds me of when Nic popped in the lobby. First thing he does is grab binocs and start crawling in the rooftops. I catch a glimpse of him and just start tossing grenades up there. Lucky shot. "Hi Nic."

He binoc'd me about 30 seconds later.
Old 03-16-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I caught spatula camping our jetpack spawn on the last map last night 3 or 4 times so I decided to put a mine in his hiding place and then he never came back. I wanted my cheap kill dammit.
Old 03-16-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Watching dudes try to climb the mountain in Infected...until Cruz sniped me.
I was just trying to figure out what they were all clamoring about. I barely saw your head from the other ridge. My favorite kill of the night - even better than mined vehicles.
Lowlights:

- Running up the score on two maps
We played as a team on the last collection map. You've said it yourself in some other game - A well organized group is better than a more talented bunch of individuals. By the second half of the game I was content with keeping the spawns and moving the collection orbs as far away from your spawn as possible.
Old 03-16-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cruzness
I was just trying to figure out what they were all clamoring about. I barely saw your head from the other ridge. My favorite kill of the night - even better than mined vehicles.
Who knows how long they would have jumped around down there though.

We played as a team on the last collection map. You've said it yourself in some other game - A well organized group is better than a more talented bunch of individuals.
If memory serves, it was Nic, Buddha, Ogsoley and me against Z, Ktown, Spatula, Marcus and you. You had both numbers and skill on us.
Old 03-17-11, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also no Slider this week.
Old 03-17-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Who knows how long they would have jumped around down there though.
So true
If memory serves, it was Nic, Buddha, Ogsoley and me against Z, Ktown, Spatula, Marcus and you. You had both numbers and skill on us.
Oh come on, I don't count. I tend to stink the place up in Warhawk.
Old 03-17-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You count, barely.

Ogs is a badass in Battlefield, but he hasn't figured out the maps on Warhawk yet, and Rubadub is just silly.

Basically, Z and Ktown had grabbed all of the zones and were holding the one near our base pretty successfully, so you guys were just running cores by the end. That's when I cut loose and went on the killing spree.
Old 03-17-11, 06:09 PM

You count, barely.

Ogs ... hasn't figured out the maps on Warhawk yet...
Yeah. I definitely came to Warhawk WAY late in the game. I've still probably played it a total of 6 times. Totally worth the $10, but I have no illusions that I'm anything more than cannon fodder.
Old 03-17-11, 06:56 PM

Dear Chess & Weekly Warhawk group,

I have some terrible news to share. Last thursday Chew was rushed to the hospital suffering pains in his side. They did an emergency surgery for a spleen issue. There were complications and he passed away. I am a very close friend of his and everyone is devistated. I know how much he loved gaming and playing with you all and wanted to let you know. You can find his obituary on the westgor funeral homes website. Look under Matt Langdon.

I know in addition to Warhawk he did some other online gaming once and a while (IE: borderlands), please forward this to others that might not see this thread.

Chew was one of the most amazing people ive ever known. He was an incredible friend. Thanks to all of you for being a part of his life that brought him happiness.

Take Care,
Jeffery Mashke
Old 03-17-11, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by threetoesoffury
Last thursday Chew was rushed to the hospital suffering pains in his side. They did an emergency surgery for a spleen issue. There were complications and he passed away.
Wow. That's shocking and terrible news. My thoughts are with you and his family and friends; Chew will be missed.
Old 03-17-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh wow. I just don't even know what to say. He'll be missed dearly. Warhawk will honestly never be the same.

Words just can't express how I feel right now. Fuck.

You and everyone close to him in the 'real world' have my deepest sympathies.

We love you, Chew.

Last edited by JohnSlider; 03-17-11 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speechless...just...honored that he thought of us at the end.

Odd to say about someone you never met, but I'll always remember Chew. My best internet friend. I remember the very first night of Warhawk...just me and Chew, and we rolled through Borderlands damn near twice...just shooting skags, trading guns and laughing.

Thank you Jeffery for taking the time to let us know. He will be missed dearly.

- Maj Chess Martin, USAF
Old 03-17-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aw man, that is awful. I can't echo slider's thoughts enough; Chew was one of the best parts of warhawk and it really wont be the same without him.
I'm really sorry for his family's loss...
Old 03-17-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mathew R. Langdon, “Matt”, age 41, of Appleton, passed away unexpectedly after a sudden illness on Thursday, March 10, 2011, at Appleton Medical Center. He was born on April 21, 1969 in Appleton; the son of Roy and Mary (Muggenthaler) Langdon.

Matt attended Sacred Heart Grade School and graduated from Xavier High School in Appleton. He spent several weeks in Germany as an exchange student, living with a German family whose son then came and lived with the Langdon family. Matt graduated from the University of Wisconsin – Madison, receiving three degrees: Economics, Political Science and International Relations. After his graduation, he worked for the city of Appleton for a summer and then for Hollywood Video. Matt made his career at Guardian Insurance Company as a Business Analyst; he was employed there for 17 years.

Matt was “the family computer go-to guy”. He loved movies, music, going to concerts, collected numerous sci-fi memorabilia – especially Star Wars and Star Trek items, had an amazing comic book and DVD collection and was a huge Wisconsin Badger and Green Bay Packer Fan. Matt truly enjoyed spending time with his family; he looked forward to their weekly lunches and family celebration dinners. One of the greatest joys in Matt’s life was his black lab, Shadow.

Matt is survived by his parents Roy and Mary Langdon, Appleton; sister Gina (Todd) Johnson, Neenah; baby nephew Jake Johnson, Neenah; grandfather Duane Langdon, Appleton; Aunts and Uncles: Betsy (Stan) Steffes, Appleton, Rosemary Buelow, Appleton, Jean (Jeff) Koller, Black Creek, Judy Muggenthaler, Appleton, Tom (Cheryl) Muggenthaler, Appleton; cousins: Lee (Vicki) Buelow – and their daughter Rachel, Stephanie (Jon) Regal – and their daughters Tenley and Allyson, Brian Lauterbach; special cousin Greg Nickasch; and dear friend Sara Westgor; as well as other relatives and friends.

He was preceded in death by grandparents, Helen and Tony Muggenthaler, grandmother Irma Langdon and great-grandmother Betsy Langdon.

A Memorial Service for Matt will be held on Monday, March 14, 2011, 4:00 PM, at Menasha’s Westgor Funeral Home, with The Rev. James Schmitz officiating. A visitation will be held at the funeral home from 2:00 PM until the hour of service. The inurnment will be in St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Appleton.

In lieu of flowers, a memorial will be established in Matt’s name.

Matt’s family would like to offer a special thank you to Dr. Vogt, Dr. Non, and the ICU nursing staff at Appleton Medical Center for their dedication to Matt’s care, and to Chaplain Mark and Fr. Falk for their care and compassion for Matt’s family.
Old 03-17-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't believe how completely fucking devastated I am right now.
Old 03-17-11, 09:32 PM

I'm not typically an emotional person, but this has me beside myself. I've never got on good with people, and when it comes to social standing I probably have one true friend. When I picked up Warhawk I wasn't sure what to expect, some fun here and there, or maybe I'd trade it in after a week. I'm glad to say that I've found some really great people. It may sound weird, but I think spending 3, 6, 12, however many hours a week with you all online makes us closer than I have become with many people in 'real life'. I can't express how much these games have come to mean to me, or how much I've come to enjoy everybody's company here. I will see you on Tuesday.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have a drink or three. To Chew.
Old 03-17-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Terrible news. My condolences to his family and friends. I never spoke to Chew but enjoyed his posts.
Old 03-17-11, 09:55 PM

Chew was one of a kind. Ive known him for over 22 years and we were best friends. He was the most generous, friendly, funny, caring, smart, all round great people ive ever known. He's influenced me in more ways than i could ever write. Seeing your guys comments, I totally get why he liked your group so much. You guys connected. Your time together meant alot to him. Thanks for the kind words, i'll pass them on to other friends/family. Thanks too for sharing, im glad Chew found such great friends in you.
Old 03-17-11, 10:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Very sad news. Thank you, Jeffery for taking the time to come and post here.
Old 03-17-11, 10:32 PM

I don't know why I clicked in this thread today, since it's been so long since I've been able to play Warhawk, but I'm both glad and sad that I had the impulse to check.

So sorry to hear about Chew. He was great fun to play with and I always remember him laughing as he and I would exchange cheap shots or try desperately to knife and 'nade each other.
Old 03-17-11, 11:09 PM

Very sad to hear about Chew. I only played with him a couple of times, but I remember it being great fun. He will be missed.
Old 03-17-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by threetoesoffury
Chew was one of a kind. Ive known him for over 22 years and we were best friends. He was the most generous, friendly, funny, caring, smart, all round great people ive ever known. He's influenced me in more ways than i could ever write. Seeing your guys comments, I totally get why he liked your group so much. You guys connected. Your time together meant alot to him. Thanks for the kind words, i'll pass them on to other friends/family. Thanks too for sharing, im glad Chew found such great friends in you.
I once mentioned in passing that I wanted to play the new God of War but didn't want to pay full price for it. Chew offered to mail it to me for the price of mailing it back...just said "It's my way of saying thanks for the work you do on Warhawk."

I should have been thanking him, because has been the heart and soul of these gatherings from the beginning. I'm actually wondering to myself whether I even want to play the game again...just because it will be so different without him.
Old 03-17-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Alrighty, sign me up.
3-13-09

The first one on board, usually the first one on every night and the most reliable of us...maybe even more than me. Warhawk night was really all about Chew for me. I liked playing with him more than anybody else...loved to hear him laugh when he knifed me or we knifed each other...and there's nothing more formidable than Chew defending a flag. Because of him, Warhawk transcended "game" for me and became a seminal part of my life...something I'll always remember and cherish.

"Protect your neck"
"Num Num Num Num"
"Chewish Inquisition"

And easily the funniest exchange I ever had in Warhawk and the origin of his final DVD Talk avatar:

frizby:

Should I boot him now or boot him later?

Chew (in his best Daffy Duck and without missing a beat):

Boot him now! Boot him now!

Last edited by chess; 03-17-11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 11:53 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Jeffrey, I am so grateful you took the time to write to this community who so enjoyed Chew's company. Reading Matt's obituary, it's clear he was an amazing guy face-to-face and surrounded by a lot of love. I'm also grateful to this community for their outpouring of love for their friend; this is such a testament to the relationships this group has fostered over the past two years. Even as people come and go, and even though it is a so-called "virtual" community, it nonetheless had and exercised the capacity to be, in a word, tight.

I've only known Matt as Chew for a couple months and I can tell you he, along with the other people who play, have been such a blessing in my life. I am so busy these days, with work and seminary and a chaplaincy clinical. I have had zero time to socialize this semester. None. I haven't seen my closest friends since Christmas. Playing Warhawk and BBC2 with people online, people like Matt, has been my one and only social outlet since mid-January and he was a part of that. What a wonderful thing to have him be a part of my life; what a joy it is that he helped me. I'm left thinking about what would happen if people like me took more time to thank people like Matt for what he has done for us. And I have to wonder, can't my mentioning of it, even now to this group, be yet one more burst of his love into this world?

My condolences to you, yours, and his. My prayers for pain management and healing today, in the weeks to come, and those days far off - ten years from now when something occurs and triggers that hurt of losing Matt all over again, even for a moment. My prayer for healing goes with you to those moments and beyond.

Please send me a private message, Jeffrey, if I can be of service to you and/or others who knew and loved Matt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.