DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/549712-dead-rising-chop-til-you-drop.html)

american-pie92 02-11-09 07:21 AM

Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop

This looks like a great port. Who is getting it? And I have a question, Does this game have a co-op option or mode?

DRG 02-11-09 09:46 AM

Re: Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop

I haven't seen anything about co-op mentioned, and considering how much has been repeated about the other changes/additions in this port (RE4 engine, new save system, no camera, etc.) I'm assuming co-op isn't there or else it would have been mentioned.

UncleGramps 02-11-09 09:55 AM

No photography, significantly fewer zombies, and weird changes like Frank not being able to jump make me think that this is far from a good port. All of the impressions that I've read so far have been very negative. :shrug:

DRG 02-11-09 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps (Post 9259212)
No photography, significantly fewer zombies, and weird changes like Frank not being able to jump make me think that this is far from a good port. All of the impressions that I've read so far have been very negative. :shrug:

I'm taking the attitude that it's not really a port but a spinoff game. While the setting and story is the same, the gameplay has been completely reworked. The way I see it, it's a new game in a familiar setting.

Frankly, I'm glad it's not a straight port because I've already played that game. It stinks for people who don't have the 360 and wanted to play the original, I guess, but frankly those people were *never* going to get an identical-to-the-360, faithful port of Dead Rising no matter how hard Capcom would have tried to create one. So I'd rather see them come up with something different than half-ass it.

This Capcom guy makes some interesting points about the whole thing...
Dead Rising: Chop 'till you Drop – Give it a Fair Shake

Completely rebuilt from the ground up, DR:CTYD was not designed for side-by-side graphics comparisons with the 360; it was designed to be a fun Wii game. With a brand-new engine created for the Wii, we've changed just about everything but the overall story. The save system, the weapons, the point of view and even the mission design have all been touched in order to make them ideal for the Wii audience. Fans of the original may like some of the changes and may not like some of the others, but we believe that we are creating a fun game for an entirely new audience made up of numerous Wii fans.

Groucho 02-11-09 10:41 AM

If it's that different AND it's a good game, I may buy this even though I already have it on the 360. But, as stated, early previews have not been positive.

UncleGramps 02-11-09 10:47 AM

I might rent it down the line, but I loved the original game, and nothing about this version has really grabbed my attention. I won't write it off just yet, but it's hard to get excited when the early press has been so negative across the boards.

steebo777 02-11-09 03:41 PM

Always wanted to play the original, but never did. This may be a fun one until DR2 comes out.

sracer 02-25-09 11:25 AM

I picked this up yesterday at Walmart. Only had a few minutes to play it.

The graphics and cut-scene video look surprisingly good considering that it is the Wii. The whole "taking pictures" segments are gone. I don't mind that because I didn't care for it in the 360 version.

I noticed that there are barriers and obstacles that prevent total movement throughout the mall. eg. can't run through the water in the mall, some sections have barricades, etc.

Although preview reports stressed the dramatic reduction in the number of zombies, there are still quite a few and there are many where it counts.

Getting accustomed to the controller scheme will take some time and I was too impatient to read the onscreen instructions to get a good handle on how things work.

DEAD RISING for the 360 was one of if not THE favorite game of mine for the 360. One of the few games that held my interest to actually complete it. And it was the one that I missed most when I traded in my 360. Although the Wii version is not as open-world and not as HD, I found it comfortably familiar (especially the mall muzak) and enjoyable already. That may change as I dig deeper into the game, but for now, I'm enjoying my return to the Willamette Mall.

DRG 02-26-09 04:58 PM

I was fine with most of the announced changes (fewer zombies/no camera/different from the 360/etc.) But the 'invisible barriers'/linear paths are the one change that actually disappoints me. And this line from a review is a real kicker:

And it doesn't help that even if you take out a room full of zombies, there's no continuity whatsoever. They simply respawn once your back is turned. A couple of times they've even respawned right in front of our very eyes.
I was going to pick this one up tonight, but with the backlog of games I'm sitting on right now I'll probably wait to pick this up when it's going for $30 or less.

sracer 02-26-09 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 9294160)
I was fine with most of the announced changes (fewer zombies/no camera/different from the 360/etc.) But the 'invisible barriers'/linear paths are the one change that actually disappoints me.

Yeah it is a bit of a disappointment. How much of one will depend upon how the rest of the game plays.

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 9294160)
And this line from a review is a real kicker:

I was going to pick this one up tonight, but with the backlog of games I'm sitting on right now I'll probably wait to pick this up when it's going for $30 or less.

Respawning happened in the 360 version as well. It was extremely annoying to clear out a section only cross an invisible line that caused the previously cleared section to repopulate.

DRG 02-27-09 08:48 AM

No, I'm still planning on picking it up. But my excitement has been tempered a bit so it may not be until it goes on sale somewhere.

chess 02-27-09 10:20 AM

I just want to know if it has RE4 controls and/or if it's built on the RE4 engine.

If so, I will get it at some point.