Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

E3 Expo 2009 : June 2-4 - news, info, coverage, etc.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

E3 Expo 2009 : June 2-4 - news, info, coverage, etc.

Old 05-29-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: E3 Expo 2009 : June 2-4 - news, info, coverage, etc.

Originally Posted by Flay
Just booked an interview with Mark Whitten, the general manager for Xbox Live, on Wed. Post any of your Xbox Live related questions and I'll try to work them into the convo.
As a Zune fan I'm interested in the new Xbox Live integration. We've heard that the upcoming ZuneHD with be integrated with Xbox Live. Will older versions have this capability as well? What about games, will any XBLA or community games be ported over to the Zune?

What ever happened to the Direct TV integration with Xbox Live? Was that dropped in favor of Netlfix?

What's with Movie Trailers? I don't see them in the Video marketplace anymore.
Old 05-29-09, 10:46 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooooo, after creating the E3 schedule from hell, I've booked time with:
  • 2K Games
  • Activision
  • Bethesda
  • Capcom
  • Eidos
  • Konami
  • Microsoft
  • MTV Games
  • Namco
  • Nintendo
  • Sega
  • SOE
  • Sony
  • THQ
  • Ubisoft
  • Warner Bros.
I've only been turned away by Electronic Arts and Square Enix at this point for booth appointments. I do have access to the pre-show press conferences for Microsoft, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Nintendo & Sony.

If there are any specific questions about any games that you want me to ask, fire away from now until the show starts. Also, if you want to hear about the work of any smaller exhibitors at the show, mention them and I'll try to swing by if I can develop human cloning technology over the weekend.
Old 05-29-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See if you can find info on Magic the Gathering on XBLA. The only news i have seen online is from 2008 and claimed it was going to be released Spring 2009. Sounds pretty interesting. I'm particularly curious about:
1. DLC expansions will be sold as sets or as booster packs?
2. Will you be able to create your own decks with unlocked cards to compete online?

Also, if you come across anyone from Majesco or MSoft Studios, is there anything being done about a new Phantom Dust on the 360?

Finally, more info about the Wiimote device for the 360. How well does it work? (assuming you can get your hands on the thing) Is there already a roster of upcoming games that will support it (or will it be used for two games like the vision camera)?
Old 05-29-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm feeling a bit past due for a Mario, Metroid or Zelda for Wii...and I'm sure nobody else will ask Ninetendo about them.

Is Incog working on a Warhawk sequel or expansion? ("Spacehawk" was apparently copyrighted)

Is Activision planning to let somebody review Prototype before release?

Like others, I'm very interested in BG&E 2.

PS3 price drop needs to happen whether the "slim" rumor is true or not.
Old 05-29-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm also really curious if anything other than 1 vs. 100 is going to be added to Xbox Live. Last year was Netflix and that was a dynamite addition. I really hope something else very cool is added to the Gold service....

Something like dedicated servers to host games perhaps?
Old 05-29-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Flay
If there are any specific questions about any games that you want me to ask, fire away from now until the show starts.
I am curious about Serious Sam 3. I've seen a couple of blurbs about it over the past year, but nothing more than "it's in the works." I'd like to know how far along it is and just anything really. I ask because it seems like an under the radar type title.
Old 05-29-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are you being facetious?
No, I had fun with Too Human and want to see the rest of the trilogy come out.
Old 05-29-09, 12:56 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5272573/is-hulu-coming-to-xbox-360

Is Hulu Coming to Xbox 360?

By Mark Wilson, 9:40 AM on Fri May 29 2009,

Olivia Munn, geek goddess of Attack of the Show, posted an interesting tweet last night. "Just finished promos for hulu/microsoft event I'm doing on june 8!" Just what hulu/Microsoft event could she be referring to?

To us, it seems likely that this event is supporting a Hulu on Xbox 360 announcement coming at E3. Why? Because Hulu on the 360 makes a lot of sense. Quite simply, it's the best internet service you can bring to a TV. So if Microsoft were to pick just one piece of internet entertainment to offer Xboxers (and with no web browser, they need to pick and choose), Hulu (and maybe YouTube) would be top on the list.

Also note that in Europe, Microsoft is supporting the Sky Player. It's a media content service somewhat like hulu but with support for live shows. And it's being integrated right into the XMB. We could see hulu arrive to the platform in a very similar manner. (So it'll probably look a bit different from our tongue-in-cheek artist's rendering.)

But the biggest reason that we're betting on Hulu 360 is because Microsoft's Shane Kim admitted months ago that the company was investigating Hulu connectivity on the platform. So don't be surprised if we hear more next week at E3. Microsoft's press conference is on Monday and we'll be there liveblogging. [Thanks Jake!]
Chris
Old 05-29-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

So are all these companies going to shoot their wads early again?
Old 05-29-09, 01:16 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by xmiyux
See if you can find info on Magic the Gathering on XBLA. The only news i have seen online is from 2008 and claimed it was going to be released Spring 2009. Sounds pretty interesting. I'm particularly curious about:
1. DLC expansions will be sold as sets or as booster packs?
2. Will you be able to create your own decks with unlocked cards to compete online?

Also, if you come across anyone from Majesco or MSoft Studios, is there anything being done about a new Phantom Dust on the 360?
xmiyux, I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know about the MtG game until you mentioned it a few posts back. Sounds really interesting! Also, a Phantom Dust 2 would be kick-ass, though I doubt it would ever get off the ground. With that being said the original was one of the most played games in my xbox!
Old 05-29-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So are all these companies going to shoot their wads early again?
you haven't been checking out Game Trailers then have you? Loads are being shot all over the place.
Old 05-29-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/First_...x_360_Wii/4883
Old 05-29-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read that there will be no Twisted Metal stuff. Awhile ago I heard that they were making one. Did the franchise die? I thought Twisted Metal Black and that PSP game were pretty good.
Old 05-29-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

For Flay

At this point the only request I have is to get as much info you can from Sega on the upcoming Aliens vs Predator game

There's been a few screens and not much else. This and along with some sort of Stargate game have came and gone left and right and I hope this time someone can actually bring this game out with what it can offer.

Storyline? - when and where will it be based on?
Co-op (2 & 4 player)- almost becoming a main-stay in games and this one seems to be a good fit.
Future add-ons? - does it stand to reason new map packs will be offered later on?
Old 05-29-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Starcraft II? Is it coming out or not. What the fuck!!!
Old 05-29-09, 04:16 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Thanks for the questions, everyone. I'll do my best to look into each one.

FYI, we've got a little front page love on DVDTalk: http://www.dvdtalk.com/ We will keep the Twitter widget up on the front page through the show.

You will also be able to find each event live-blogged on VGT's home page throughout the show via Twitter. I'll be uploading pics direct to Twitter as well.
Old 05-29-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Starcraft II? Is it coming out or not. What the fuck!!!
Too bad Blizzard won't be at E3!
Old 05-29-09, 05:07 PM

That's it folks, there's nothing to see here, move along!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eed&subj=Crave

May 29, 2009 10:25 AM PDT
Xbox 360 to get Hulu? (Update: Probably not)

by David Carnoy (Credit: Gizmodo)

Ah, there's nothing like a little random tweet to start a rumor.

"Just finished promos for hulu/microsoft event I'm doing on june 8!" Olivia Munn of G4's "Attack of the Show" wrote on her Twitter feed last night.

Seems harmless enough on the surface, but put it in the hands of some zealous bloggers, their antennas on high alert for any E3 related news (Microsoft's press conference is on Monday), and the rumor wheels start churning. Could Microsoft be planning to announce Hulu support for the Xbox 360?

Sounds good to me--and a lot of other people, too. Some folks are already streaming Hulu to their Xbox 360s using a little software program called PlayOn, but the idea here is an integrated Hulu application along the lines of the Netflix video streaming plug-in that's currently available to Xbox Live Gold subscribers who also have a Netflix account.

Those keeping score between Microsoft and Sony will be quick to note that the PS3 already has Hulu support via the PS3's built-in Web browser. If Microsoft were to add Hulu as well, it would be a small coup, and it wouldn't be a shocker considering Microsoft has been looking at possible XBox 360 tie-ins to Hulu and YouTube for several months. However, at yesterday's All Things D conference, NBC Universal CEO Jeff Zucker reiterated Hulu's , anti-Boxee stance saying that, "Right now we're committed to Hulu being an online experience, and that's where our vision is today, and I think that will continue." So, take this rumor for what it's worth.

Comments?

(Source: Twitter via Gizmodo)

Update: Alas, Ms. Munn's Hulu-Microsoft connection is related to Microsoft's new Bing search engine and a Bingathon on Hulu June 8. Ms. Munn refers to the event on her Web site, calling Bing a "Web browser." (Thanks to commenter Ninjatuned for pointing this out). Of course, Microsoft could still announce Hulu support for the Xbox 360 on Monday, but we wouldn't bet on it.
Chris
Old 06-01-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First up: LEGO Harry Potter officially announced!

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="287" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/8b6fb4e4/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/8b6fb4e4/" width="437" height="287" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

London – Embargoed until 1400 GMT, June 1, 2009 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and TT Games are teaming up with the LEGO Group, to merge two of the world’s most popular brands with the creation of LEGOŽ Harry Potter: Years 1-4. Based on the first four Harry Potter books and movies that tell the story of Harry’s first four years at Hogwarts™ School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, LEGOŽ Harry Potter: Years 1-4 offers an engaging mix of magical gameplay and light-hearted humour. LEGOŽ Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is being developed by TT Games and will be published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and is scheduled for release in 2010.

LEGOŽ Harry Potter: Years 1-4 will give gamers the chance to experience the magic and adventure of Harry Potter in a new and uniquely LEGO way. Playing as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley™ and Hermione Granger™, as well as other favourite characters, gamers will have the opportunity to attend lessons, cast spells, mix potions, fly on broomsticks and complete tasks to earn house points. Throughout the game, players will also have the freedom to explore iconic settings from the wizarding world including Hogwarts castle, Diagon Alley™, the Forbidden Forest and the village of Hogsmeade™!

“With LEGOŽ Harry Potter: Years 1-4 we are creating an open, wide-ranging experience within Hogwarts that is full of fun and LEGO magic,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “Harry Potter is one of the most beloved and well-respected characters, and we look forward to bringing gamers a new way of interacting in the universe with the LEGO games’ great humour and exploration.”

“Harry Potter is one of the world’s most popular and inspirational heroes, and LEGOŽ Harry Potter: Years 1-4 will appeal to a generation of gamers who grew up immersed in the Harry Potter books and films, and also loved playing with LEGO toys,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Development and Production, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The game is geared for players to experience a good mix of puzzle solving gameplay with exploration and battle in some of the most beloved Harry Potter environments, plus a few other surprises.”

“We’re excited to announce this gaming experience based on the amazing Harry Potter universe,” said Henrik Taudorf Lorensen, Vice President, New Business Development, the LEGO Group. “LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is built around the same values of family-friendly creative game play that are present in other LEGO videogames, while delivering new elements of exploration and depth that we believe will engage children in imaginative play both virtually and physically.”
Old 06-01-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminder that the Microsoft conference begins in 3 hours at 1:25 EDT / 10:25 PDT.

Live feeds:
G4
GameTrailers
Xbox.com
IGN
Gamespot
Old 06-01-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Halo: Reach" the new big announcement for the Microsoft conference? Someone found an achievement page from xbox.com for this title already....He always is the first to post achievement lists for games, usually months in advance, and is never wrong...

-credit to "The Pants Party"
Old 06-01-09, 10:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Let the Halo: Reach Around jokes begin!
Old 06-01-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Flay:

I'd also like to know an update and/or possibility of the Hulu (or direct network streams) rumor on XBL.
Old 06-01-09, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Let the Halo: Reach Around jokes begin!
Let's hope any Halo: Reach jokes are actually funny and not bland or predictable. I bet it plays well at Gamefaqs though.
Old 06-01-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I second wanting more Magic: The Gathering XBLA info. It's supposed to hit soon with almost no info out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.