Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Could my 360 problems be something w/ the HD?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had an "elite" system for just over a year now I think (I don't recall the exact purchase but IIRC it was sometime around Christmas 07) and since day 1 I've had minor problems/irritations w/ it[1]. The main issues are:

- Sometimes games won't start, I'll select the game but instead of getting the game splash screen it'll just stay on a black screen

- Similarly when quitting a game (or shutting down) it'll just stay on a black screen and never go back to the desktop (or finish shutting down)

- For awhile the ext HD-DVD drive wouldn't work on the back USB ports (the new NXE seems to have fixed that, although occasionally it still doesn't recognize when there is a disk in there... alternatively it will occasionally start up the HD-DVD that's in there when the system boots, even though auto-play should be off)

- Recently it has started this thing where when the machine turns on[2] it will go from saying I have 0 accounts to 1 account to 2 accounts (which I do have 2) and continue cycling through that. It's unusable in this mode and it won't let me login to either account. The only way to get it to stop is to shut the machine down. This is what has got me thinking that maybe it's a hard drive issue.

- The only other item I can think of is after the update yesterday it locked up on me during the middle of a game (an "arcade" game if that matters), first time it has ever done that.

Anyone seen these things before? Can I just pull the drive and try it without it (although it'll be severely limited in what it can do right -- no profiles, XBL, saved games right?) to see if starting/stopping the games works ok? Do you think this is sufficient enough problems to try and take it back to BestBuy for replacement? How can I save everything I've picked up from XBL (although most of them can be d/l again) or the info in my profiles? Is this a precursor of a RRoD or am I making too much out of all of this?

[1] Actually I had the same sort of problems w/ the first system I bought too, which was returned... relevant to the question though is I don't recall if I swapped HDs when I returned the old one... I don't think I did because I seem to recall some friends created profiles for when we played Halo3 and they aren't there any more (and I don't recall deleting them).

[2] not on first boot up that I recall, but usually when I've had to power cycle the machine after one of the incidents mentioned in the other items (locking up on starting/quiting a game)