DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   MLB '09: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 3rd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/547432-mlb-09-show-ps3-ps2-psp-march-3rd.html)

Goat3001 03-10-09 08:47 AM

Re: MLB '09: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 3rd

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 9315807)
Ok discovered another bug.

In franchise mode, I am the Angels. The coach recommended that I sit Kendrick and replace him. I didn't have anyone else that wasn't taking a day off besides Matthews Jr, so reluctantly I put him in the starting lineup.

The computer skipped his at bat each time he was up, going to the number nine hitter instead. At first I thought it was a feature of the realism of this game, since even the computer knew that Matthews Jr. playing was a bad idea :lol:

But the next game I had Kendrick back in the lineup, at the eight spot, and again he was skipped. So maybe nobody gets to bat in the 8th spot? Really annoying error.

:lol:

I have never seen that glitch before. That's a real annoying one.

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 9316465)

Then the other announcer says "If things don't change soon, they'll fall to two games under .500 for the year."

The problem was my record after the loss was actually three games ABOVE .500.

I've heard the same thing a dozen times. It's a really stupid glitch and they say it way too much. At first I assumed they were talking about the other team but even when both teams were many games over .500, they still said it.

Another one that I noticed during Franchise was with my AA team and their 9 spot. It is always listed as [EMPTY] and I can't add anyone to it. So I have to get the computer to do it automatically and then I have to redo my lineup because the way they have it is stupid (Damon batting 8th, Jeter leading off and Posada batting 2nd... really?). Also twice, randomly, the game just restarted itself. Once it was annoying because I was deep into the offseason and I hadn't saved since I lost in the ALCS. Luckily, that meant I got another shot at the ALCS but I didn't want to play it so I just simmed... and lost... and the Red Sox won the WS. :sad:

Now I know to save more often.

nickdawgy 03-10-09 09:21 PM

Yeah the computer makes some really weird lineup changes.

Something cool I did notice was besides suggesting certain players take a day off every now and then, the computer also suggested moving Hunter into Figgins spot because Chone was a "rally killer" lately :lol:

musick 03-11-09 12:36 AM

getting my RTTS groove going but still haven't been called up to the big club other than when my minor league team was out of it and MLB teams expanded their rosters

right now in my second season I'm 4-1 in 13 games (7 starts) with a 2.03 ERA over 62 IP
guess they don't want to get rid of me by sending me to the bigs
no problem I don't like being in the American league as I never get to hit and this is the last year of my contract so there is no way I'm resigning with them (O's affiliate after being traded by the Cubs affiliate)

by the way ... you know you have a great looking game when the wife does a double take walking by and comments that that [the game] looked real

Daryl 03-12-09 10:36 AM

What a crock of crap. I'm playing RTTS and I come to bat with a guy on first. The third base coach tells me to hit and run. Great - usually when this happens, I get a pitch 8 feet off the plate and end up flailing at it. Anyway, miracle of miracles I hit a double into the gap. Woo-hoo! But wait! The clown running from first gets thrown out at home - and I get a "failed" message. Grrrr.

grrr 03-12-09 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by musick (Post 9318563)
by the way ... you know you have a great looking game when the wife does a double take walking by and comments that that [the game] looked real

:lol: While I was watching the World Baseball Classic yesterday, the female asked me which team I was controlling.

Fandango 03-12-09 08:49 PM

It seems like diving stops on the infield are a lot harder than last year to make.

nickdawgy 03-12-09 09:27 PM

I notice alot of dropped third strikes. Not that I am complaining because they have helped me win a couple of games :lol:

Goat3001 03-13-09 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fandango (Post 9323024)
It seems like diving stops on the infield are a lot harder than last year to make.

Yeah, which I find much more realistic this year. Last year if you dove and you were anywhere near the ball then you had it. This year your glove has to be right on the ball for you to make the snag. Tougher, yes but I like it. :up:

Goat3001 03-13-09 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 9323097)
I notice alot of dropped third strikes. Not that I am complaining because they have helped me win a couple of games :lol:

Way too many passed balls this year IMO. I didn't look hard but I couldn't find the slider to reduce it. I can't throw a slider out of the zone or throw a low change or curve with runners on base in fear of the passed ball.

bunkaroo 03-13-09 10:21 AM

Speaking of dropped third strikes, what do you have to do to run for 1st when playing RTTS? If I'm playing Season mode it's fine. But when I play RTTS, I'm hitting the left stick towards first and my guy just walks away. The commentary has even said ('e didn't even try for first" or something.

On a positive note, it seems like hitting is getting better in my second season of AA now that my stats are getting higher. Maybe you just have to fight through those early years.

Tarantino 03-13-09 11:57 AM

I'm having a great time with the game so far. I'm in my second season with the Angels - I spent my first year trudging through a last place finish with their AA affiliate (The Arkansas Travelers), and have been promoted to the Salt Lake City Bees (AAA) for my second season. Too bad I'm on the Angels. I'll probably ask for a trade here pretty soon. I play third base. Obviously, they didn't have my last name in the game, so when my character gets to the plate, he's announced as <i>Fatty Dick</i>.

I've only run into a few glitches so far...once, I went to a batting practice, and when I was done, it got stuck at the loading screen. The other is in my current season...my team has less home runs than most, but at the before game ranking screens, we're always ranked higher than teams with more home runs. Weird.

= J

nickdawgy 03-13-09 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 9323931)
Speaking of dropped third strikes, what do you have to do to run for 1st when playing RTTS? If I'm playing Season mode it's fine. But when I play RTTS, I'm hitting the left stick towards first and my guy just walks away. The commentary has even said ('e didn't even try for first" or something.

On a positive note, it seems like hitting is getting better in my second season of AA now that my stats are getting higher. Maybe you just have to fight through those early years.

I've seen that problem. Sometimes they run to first, the other times they stand there like idiots or walk away.

nickdawgy 03-13-09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 9324171)
I'm having a great time with the game so far. I'm in my second season with the Angels - I spent my first year trudging through a last place finish with their AA affiliate (The Arkansas Travelers), and have been promoted to the Salt Lake City Bees (AAA) for my second season. Too bad I'm on the Angels. I'll probably ask for a trade here pretty soon. I play third base. Obviously, they didn't have my last name in the game, so when my character gets to the plate, he's announced as <i>Fatty Dick</i>.

I've only run into a few glitches so far...once, I went to a batting practice, and when I was done, it got stuck at the loading screen. The other is in my current season...my team has less home runs than most, but at the before game ranking screens, we're always ranked higher than teams with more home runs. Weird.

= J

Fatty Dick, that's golden.

It was a close game until Fatty Dick broke it open with a shot up the middle. "That was just Dick being Dick", said the Bees manager.

Tarantino 03-13-09 04:09 PM

I was running through possibly funny names, but it's pretty limited. You can do a lot with the last name 'Dick', though...especially with the nicknames. "Dirty Dawg Dick", "Harry Dick", etc.

= J

bunkaroo 03-13-09 05:45 PM

My guy got traded to the Astro's AA team at the dealine (:mad:), but I quit the game before saving and got through the deadline with no trade the second go. :)

His name is Hank Scorpio. 2nd base. My pitcher is Max Power.

Fandango 03-14-09 02:16 AM

I was down 5-0 going into the 9th. After a couple of errors it was 5-2, I get two men on and then bring in a pinch hitter for the pitcher. The pinch hitter homers to tie it up. I get another man on and then hit a walkoff homer with the next batter to earn two trophies! Final score 7-5, awesome!

nickdawgy 03-14-09 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 9324984)
My guy got traded to the Astro's AA team at the dealine (:mad:), but I quit the game before saving and got through the deadline with no trade the second go. :)

His name is Hank Scorpio. 2nd base. My pitcher is Max Power.

Simpsons fan....

redbill 03-15-09 06:30 PM

seems to be some weird "well-placed" fielding errors in this game. One game I was up by 2 runs in the 9th. My defense made 2 errors and 1 WP/PB to lose. Another game, gold-glover Mike Lowell made his 2nd error of the game in the 10th inning to give up the go-ahead run.

Goat3001 03-16-09 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 9324781)
I've seen that problem. Sometimes they run to first, the other times they stand there like idiots or walk away.

Are you using the Dualshock controller? It vibrates when you get tagged out. The catcher drops the 3rd strike but picks it up fast enough and puts the tag on. It looks like the batter didn't even try running but my controller vibrates when this happens so I just assumed that the tag was placed.

nickdawgy 03-16-09 10:38 AM

Yeah, I am using the dual shock. I never noticed the vibration from the tag, maybe I have it turned off.

j123vt_99 03-17-09 09:25 AM

Very tough to play this on a PSP. I find when I'm a baserunner, I can't really tell if a ball was hit until the batter starts to run. By that time, I usually get tagged out or caught in a jam... The ball is really hard to see when it comes off the bat

Ocelot 03-17-09 10:51 AM

Looks like no PSP version for me then...

j123vt_99 03-17-09 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot (Post 9331285)
Looks like no PSP version for me then...

Also the load times kind of stink

kevinlord190 03-17-09 10:52 PM

for some reason whenever i click sim to next appearance and it restarts to the ps menu
how do i fix this?

Maxflier 03-17-09 11:48 PM

Am I understanding it correctly that you can only pick from a set list of names to give your player and not make up any name you want?