Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any headphone recommendations for gaming?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-05-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since moving in with the GF I've had to play the games a lot quieter than I was used to, and it's a little sad. And turning it up keeps her up, which is something I don't want to do. I'm looking into some headphones, and want to know what others use. I'd spend up to about $100 for something good.

I want:
Good sound
wireless would be nice, but a long cord would be fine too (like 12 ft +) or i guess i could get an extension.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-09, 04:40 PM

Re: Any headphone recommendations for gaming?

For the GF:

Old 01-05-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jamieson22 View Post
For the GF:

I gave her some already. Let's just say it was a shitty xmas afterwards.
Old 01-05-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

His & Her buttplugs do tend to get shitty.
Old 01-05-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had the same problem with my ex-roommate. She was super sensitive about noise. I had to keep the volume down when playing games or watching TV. I could turn it up a little durring the day, but at night she'd complain about any sound. I ended up getting some Sony wireless headphones from Best Buy. I'll have to look at what model they are. They worked OK. Sound was good, but not great. Some crackling here and there, but usually worked pretty well. They came with re-chargable batteries and a re-charging stand. I could walk through my whole house and they'd still work. So, the signal range was good.

Has your GF complained about the RB drums yet? My ex-roommate couldn't stand them. Even with headphones, there was no playing drums unless she wasn't home. Hell, she'd bitch if I was playing guitar when I used the Les Paul. The strum bar clicked too loud. She tolerated it when I got the wireless RB Strat. She moved out a few weeks ago. I celebrated that night with a RB drum marathon, with the surround sound cranked.
Old 01-05-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I haven't busted out RB when she's been trying to sleep, so no problems there. It's the sleep time that screws with things - at night the sound travels much better, so the noise is worse.

I don't care about walking around the house with the phones on, I can take them off to go take a piss The crackling doesn't sound appealing though

No one else uses headphones? WTF?
Old 01-05-09, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
His & Her buttplugs do tend to get shitty.

i dont live with my GF but i know she doesnt like the amount of time i put into gaming.... ive had my xbox outta service for 2 and 1/2 months and im waiting for a 400 dollar GC from circuit city ... so shes been happy that ive been without a gaming console lol

id suggest the skull candie Ink'd head phones they're going for 14.99 right now and they're noise canceling ... its like actually having a surround sound system in your ears... and theyre cheap ... look into those ...
Old 01-05-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lovgun7 View Post

i dont live with my GF but i know she doesnt like the amount of time i put into gaming.... ive had my xbox outta service for 2 and 1/2 months and im waiting for a 400 dollar GC from circuit city ... so shes been happy that ive been without a gaming console lol

id suggest the skull candie Ink'd head phones they're going for 14.99 right now and they're noise canceling ... its like actually having a surround sound system in your ears... and theyre cheap ... look into those ...
eh - thanks. But no, i'd rather put pinatas butt plugs in there than use ear buds.
Old 01-05-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
Well, I haven't busted out RB when she's been trying to sleep, so no problems there. It's the sleep time that screws with things - at night the sound travels much better, so the noise is worse.
Yeah. I couldn't play the drums at all, if she was in the house. Not just while she was sleeping. If I wanted to play drums while she was home, I had to disconnect my 360, move it into my study. I'd hook it up to an old reciever I have and my 24" monitor. I could then play the drums, as long as I had headphones and the doors were closed.

I don't care about walking around the house with the phones on, I can take them off to go take a piss The crackling doesn't sound appealing though

No one else uses headphones? WTF?
The static isn't too bad. I had to use them for everything. Movies and games. When playing a game, I didn't really notice anything. It was the quiet parts of movies where I might here some hiss or crackle here and there. It wasn't all the time.

These are the ones I have. They've gone down in price. I bought them about 1 1/2 years ago, and I think Best Buy had them for like $70 then.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-RF960...1203648&sr=8-1
Old 01-05-09, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by lovgun7 View Post

I actually grabbed a pair of these when they were on sale and I had sent my Shure E2C in for a warranty replacement. While decent for the price, if you go the wired headphone route there was no comparison to the E2C (now the SL2 model or something). Of course there is a major price diff but well worth it IMHO. As a side note I bought my Shure 3 years ago and have had the replaced via warranty 2 times (mainly from wear and tear, they are a great product). Sometimes it pays to get quality.

There was a deal on Shure SL4 at Fatwallet. Not sure if it is still active but think it was $79 for earbuds worth $300 or so. Worth looking into.

Anyways, either choice would be bad for gaming due to short cord size. I always liked my Grado SR80 but it has been ages since I have used/had them. I think I still have a 15-20' extention cable if you need. Been ages since i used cans so I don't need it. Also check SR60 for a more budget friendly price.

Also used to have a pair of Sony 7506 when I did a lot of field recording (concerts). These are more closed ear which is nice and quiet (Grados are open ear which tends to disperse some sound, but would not be audible unless you were in teh same room) but they were not quite as good as the Grado.

For what you want to use them for, either would rock.
Old 01-05-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyways, either choice would be bad for gaming due to short cord size. I always liked my Grado SR80 but it has been ages since I have used/had them. I think I still have a 15-20' extention cable if you need. Been ages since i used cans so I don't need it. Also check SR60 for a more budget friendly price.

Also used to have a pair of Sony 7506 when I did a lot of field recording (concerts). These are more closed ear which is nice and quiet (Grados are open ear which tends to disperse some sound, but would not be audible unless you were in teh same room) but they were not quite as good as the Grado.

For what you want to use them for, either would rock.
Sweet - right in the range i was thinking. What about comfort? Which of these did you find more comfy? And PM me about the extension cord. It still seems a little sad to put headphones on a $1k receiver, but the things we do for love.
Old 01-05-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you mainly game on your 360, then I recommend the X3's from Turtle Beach.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx3/home.aspx

My buddy has them and he swears by them. I've tested them out and they sound great to me. I think the only down side is the wireless receiver is infrared so you have to be within it's cone or the sound will start to fade in/out. Also, depending on how you have your Xbox set up, you may need to get Microsoft's official HDMI cable as that is the only A/V cable I am aware of that has the digital out adapter built in to it. You will need that if you have your Xbox hooked up via HDMI. Any other HDMI cable covers up the digital out on the back of the Xbox (unless it has since been fixed).
Old 01-06-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ghym View Post
Yeah. I couldn't play the drums at all, if she was in the house. Not just while she was sleeping. If I wanted to play drums while she was home, I had to disconnect my 360, move it into my study. I'd hook it up to an old reciever I have and my 24" monitor. I could then play the drums, as long as I had headphones and the doors were closed.
Please tell me you were nailing this roommate. Because you were being way too accomodating with her if there was no reward for your efforts.
Old 01-06-09, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gooter View Post
If you mainly game on your 360, then I recommend the X3's from Turtle Beach.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx3/home.aspx

My buddy has them and he swears by them. I've tested them out and they sound great to me. I think the only down side is the wireless receiver is infrared so you have to be within it's cone or the sound will start to fade in/out. Also, depending on how you have your Xbox set up, you may need to get Microsoft's official HDMI cable as that is the only A/V cable I am aware of that has the digital out adapter built in to it. You will need that if you have your Xbox hooked up via HDMI. Any other HDMI cable covers up the digital out on the back of the Xbox (unless it has since been fixed).
I'd need something generic to go into my receiver rather than console specific, thanks for the tip though.
Old 01-06-09, 09:30 AM

I'd need something generic to go into my receiver rather than console specific, thanks for the tip though.
If you want good surround sound for your headphones, get a processor (or receiver) with Dolby Headphone and a good pair of stereo headphones. Headphones with multiple drivers are not as good in producing surround sound as the stereo ones driven by Dolby Headphone technology. If your receiver already has Dolby Headphone then you just need a pair of decent stereo headphones. I would recommend the Sennheiser 555 for your price range. See

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...1251919&sr=8-1

If your receiver does not have Dolby Headphone and you are willing to pony up more, I recommend that you should take a look at the Astro Mixamp.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/.../5/A40-MixAmp/

Or you can also get complete the Astro A40 package. This is what I have.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/...-Audio-System/
Old 01-06-09, 09:35 AM

Follow up from my post directly above. The fifth link from the bottom has Dolby Headphone demo

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/headphone.html
Old 01-06-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's some advice: don't have a live-in girlfriend and don't ever get married. Problem solved. You would thank me later, but you won't take my advice and in a couple of years I'll say "I told you so".
Old 01-06-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Here's some advice: don't have a live-in girlfriend and don't ever get married. Problem solved. You would thank me later, but you won't take my advice and in a couple of years I'll say "I told you so".
Yep.

Woman + Guy trying to have fun without her on his own terms = Guy not having fun at all.
Old 01-06-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Thanks, but i'll take my own advice. I was married for 6.5 years, and generally unhappy. Now live with the most amazing woman in the world who not only encourages my fun time, but enables it even more than I do.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yep.

Woman + Guy trying to have fun without her on his own terms = Guy not having fun at all.
Kindly disagree. Just because i want to buy headphones to be able to crank it instead of listening at a reasonable volume does not mean I don't have fun. She knew what she was getting into!
Old 01-06-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Please tell me you were nailing this roommate. Because you were being way too accomodating with her if there was no reward for your efforts.
No, we dated briefly, long ago, but I was not getting any while she lived here. I did like her rent helping out with my mortgage though, so I put up with it for a while.
Old 01-06-09, 11:38 AM

Sweet - right in the range i was thinking. What about comfort? Which of these did you find more comfy? And PM me about the extension cord. It still seems a little sad to put headphones on a $1k receiver, but the things we do for love.
The Grados sit more on the ear while the Sony covered the ears. I do remember changing the foam on the Grado made them much more comfortable. The Sony were nice but one drawback is the closed nature of them could lead to sweaty ears. At least it did when you are wrecked and spun with $5k of taping equipment at a rock concert

It has been 5+ years sicne I have used either model so I would try to dig up soem current reviews (and find best prcies). I'd guess either will make you happy.

PM sent.

Jamie
Old 01-06-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hoyalawya View Post
If you want good surround sound for your headphones, get a processor (or receiver) with Dolby Headphone and a good pair of stereo headphones. Headphones with multiple drivers are not as good in producing surround sound as the stereo ones driven by Dolby Headphone technology. If your receiver already has Dolby Headphone then you just need a pair of decent stereo headphones. I would recommend the Sennheiser 555 for your price range. See

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...1251919&sr=8-1

If your receiver does not have Dolby Headphone and you are willing to pony up more, I recommend that you should take a look at the Astro Mixamp.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/.../5/A40-MixAmp/

Or you can also get complete the Astro A40 package. This is what I have.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/...-Audio-System/
Hmm, here's the receiver I have - http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-32626292.html

I didn't see a mention of Dolby Headphones this morning when i scanned the manual.
Old 01-06-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, but i'll take my own advice. I was married for 6.5 years, and generally unhappy. Now live with the most amazing woman in the world who not only encourages my fun time, but enables it even more than I do.

Kindly disagree. Just because i want to buy headphones to be able to crank it instead of listening at a reasonable volume does not mean I don't have fun. She knew what she was getting into!

Delusional.

If she were here trying find great earplugs so you could enjoy your gaming without turning it down I'd "kinda" agree with you. Other than that...I think I'm right.

Spoiler:
obviously I'm just having fun with you. Steady Vagina is better than Gaming at full volume any day.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-06-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-06-09, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post

Spoiler:
obviously I'm just having fun with you. Steady Vagina is better than Gaming at full volume any day.
Steady? Wow, you have obvioulsy never been married.
Old 01-06-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Steady? Wow, you have obvioulsy never been married.
Yeah, but this is L&O's GF, which indicates that it is still steady.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.