DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Wii Sports Now the Best-Selling Game of All Time (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/547174-wii-sports-now-best-selling-game-all-time.html)

mrpayroll 01-05-09 01:32 PM

Wii Sports Now the Best-Selling Game of All Time

http://www.ripten.com/2009/01/04/wii...of-all-time-1/

by Dan Landis on January 4, 2009 at 11:27 pm

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/upl...ario-sucks.jpg

Wii Sports has surpassed Super Mario Bros. as the best-selling game of all time. With over 40 million units sold (obviously including bundles), Wii Sports is estimated to break the 50 million mark while resting comfortably at the top of the list. Check out the closest competition as we list the top 10 best-selling games of all time.

According to VGChartz, the top 10 numbers are as follows (in millions):

Wii Sports, Wii - 40.52

Super Mario Bros, NES - 40.24

Pokemon Red / Green / Blue, GameBoy - 31.38

Tetris, GameBoy - 30.26

Duck Hunt, NES - 28.31

Pokemon Gold / Silver, GameBoy - 23.11

Nintendogs, DS - 21.37

Super Mario World, SNES - 20.61

Wii Play, Wii - 19.68

Super Mario Land, GameBoy - 18.14

Coincidentally, the only non-Nintendo game in the top 15 is GTA: San Andreas, which certainly lends credence to the idea that maybe, just maybe, Nintendo actually knows what it’s doing.

Also, I have no idea why CliffyB (The Blaznats!) is playing Wii Sports in that picture.
A bundle game beats another bundle game.

Chris

RyoHazuki 01-05-09 01:54 PM

Re: Wii Sports Now the Best-Selling Game of All Time

That sucks.

mrpayroll 01-05-09 01:56 PM

And I don't think it will be beaten for a very long time, if at all.

Chris

pinata242 01-05-09 01:57 PM

Was SMW ever bundled with the SNES? If not, it seems that's the #1 non-bundled, stand-alone title. Once you divide out the Pokemon combos and Nintendogs, I believe it's the only one on that list to stand on its own.

Groucho 01-05-09 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9176175)
Was SMW ever bundled with the SNES?

Yes, at launch.

pinata242 01-05-09 02:06 PM

/didn't have an SNES. :(

Michael Corvin 01-05-09 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9176198)
/didn't have an SNES. :(

Pixy probably just died a little inside.

Groucho 01-05-09 02:27 PM

By the way, I'm not sure if you need an asterisk after this game even though it was a pack in. I suspect many people buy the Wii for Wii Sports and not the console itself.

The Bus 01-05-09 02:29 PM

Wi Wii Wiii Wiiii Wiiiii Wiiiiii Sports

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9176252)
By the way, I'm not sure if you need an asterisk after this game even though it was a pack in. I suspect many people buy the Wii for Wii Sports and not the console itself.

To this day, Wii Sports and Wii Fit makes up like 95% of my non-VC Wii gametime.

pinata242 01-05-09 02:30 PM

That's a very good point. Really should be included as a default channel and no disc.

Goat3001 01-05-09 02:35 PM

What's the deal with Nintendogs? Never heard of it... is it bundled with the DS?

Also, how did SMB for NES outsell Duck Hunt... weren't they on the same cartridge?

Mordred 01-05-09 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 9176275)
What's the deal with Nintendogs? Never heard of it... is it bundled with the DS?

Also, how did SMB for NES outsell Duck Hunt... weren't they on the same cartridge?

Only if you had a bundle with a gun. Which I didn't :(

Jamezuva 01-05-09 02:43 PM

There was one version where they were on the same cartridge, but my system (the one that came with R.O.B.) had separate carts for duck hunt and gyromite and somebody bought me a stand alone SMB

Spicollidriver1 01-05-09 02:58 PM

If you count how many times Super Mario Bros was also sold used it would blow this away. I think I personally have sold a million copies of SMB :)

Goldberg74 01-05-09 03:13 PM

I have it. :D

Trout 01-05-09 03:25 PM

I wonder how many of these games were purchased by nursing homes/hospitals for physical therapy use.

The Bus 01-05-09 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by trout (Post 9176421)
i wonder how many of these games were purchased by nursing homes/hospitals for physical therapy use.

Groucho 01-05-09 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9176432)

That's probably a pretty accurate figure. :lol:

superfro 01-05-09 04:24 PM

I'm not sure why you'd even list the system pack in games on such a list. Odd.

Yeah. Nintendo knows what they're doing. Pack in a game with your system, or extra controllers, and then have them all show up on top sales of all time charts. :lol:

DRG 01-05-09 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jamezuva (Post 9176294)
There was one version where they were on the same cartridge, but my system (the one that came with R.O.B.) had separate carts for duck hunt and gyromite and somebody bought me a stand alone SMB

If I'm remembering things correctly, there were initially two NES system options:

Basic bundle: NES + SMB
Deluxe bundle: NES (with R.O.B. and Zapper) + Gyromite + Duck Hunt

When R.O.B. was phased out, they replaced the deluxe bundle with:
NES (with Zapper) + SMB/Duck Hunt dual cartridge

Of course, there were additional bundle configurations after that.

Spicollidriver1 01-05-09 05:03 PM

The only thing that surprised me about this list is that Wii play isn't higher. You need another controller anyways why wouldn't you just get Wii play. That said still doesn't make me want to run out and get one

fumanstan 01-05-09 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1 (Post 9176726)
The only thing that surprised me about this list is that Wii play isn't higher. You need another controller anyways why wouldn't you just get Wii play. That said still doesn't make me want to run out and get one

Wii Play is pretty god damn high though. I bet it will break the top of the list by the end of the Wii's lifetime.

The Bus 01-05-09 05:29 PM

Get A Free Wii. Just Fill In Your Email - Hurry Only 99 Units!

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 9176625)

Yeah. Nintendo knows what they're doing. Pack in a game with your system, or extra controllers, and then have them all show up on top sales of all time charts. :lol:

Yes, I'm sure their appearance on charts by VGChartz and RipTen.com is what fueled this decision.

CreatureX 01-05-09 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 9176625)

If you remove the system pack in games from the list, Nintendo would still have eight games in the top 10. So yeah, Nintendo pretty much does know what they're doing. :)

Fandango 01-05-09 07:06 PM

Wii Sports wasn't a pack in in Japan. These numbers still baffle me as I don't believe there are 40 million Wiis sold.