Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 - Should I get the old 60GB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 12:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
PS3 - Should I get the old 60GB?

Is there any reason to get the newer 80GB or 160GB version rather than the older 60GB/hardware-emulation version?

I've been looking around and don't see anything the newer models offer that the older one does not?

Hard drive doesn't do much and is user upgradable, correct?

Any used buying tips specific to the PS3, of I go for the older 60GB version?
Old 01-04-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can, grab a 60 GB - that's what I have. I've swapped out my old HD for a 320 GB and haven't looked back. The major thing for me was PS2 backwards compatibility, and it has that - many of the newer ones do not.
Old 01-05-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, the older ones are backwards compatible, but they also consume more power and run much hotter.
Old 01-05-09, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The older PS3s were the most full featured. Wikipedia has a good table with which you can compare the models...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3

I bought a 60GB version at launch a couple years back and it still works well... though I'm a casual gamer at best and use it mostly for Blu-ray. It's actually much quieter than my very recently purchased Jasper-model Xbox 360 (just because of the Xbox's DVD drive though).

Beyond hardware PS2 support, the old 60B versions also give you 2 extra USB ports, flash card readers, and SACD support if that matters to you.

If it was me I'd probably get one of the newer ones though.

As indicated by Pennypacker, the newer versions have Cell processors built at 65nm instead of 90nm, likely drawing less power and reducing heat. There have also been some reports of PS3's dying with a "yellow light of death"... and I would imagine that , if there's any difference, newer ones would be more reliable than the originals. The newer models also come with the updated Dual Shock 3 controllers instead of the old Six Axis which were missing the rumble feature.

Last edited by obispo21; 01-05-09 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 07:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you suggesting one of the newer ones without PS2 backward compat, or one of the software emu ones?
Old 01-06-09, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PS3 - Should I get the old 60GB?

Originally Posted by gcbrowni
Are you suggesting one of the newer ones without PS2 backward compat, or one of the software emu ones?
I was thinking one of the latest models without any PS2 compatibility at all.

From what I understand, the one 80GB model with software emulation isn't in production anymore... i.e. all PS3 models currently sold, both the 160GB and the current 80GB, have had PS2 compatibility removed entirely.

I have a number of old PS2 games, and I guess it's nice to be able to play them on the 60GB PS3 I have... but honestly I would prefer to play them on an actual PS2. The L2 & R2 trigger buttons on the PS3 operate / feel different than they do on the PS2... and don't work as well for some PS2 games.