Print Wikipost

The Video Game Deals Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Video Game Deals Thread

Originally Posted by chess
$50/year to play online, for Netflix and no upscaling...all of which my PS3 does for free.
As of what, a week ago? Do you even have a Netflix disc yet? Are you putting the 360 on a different TV than the PS3? If not why do you need upscaling? Use the PS3.

Also as pointed out for roughly 7 years, no one, I mean no one here pays $50 for Live. Amazon and Newegg ALWAYS have them for $39.99 and usually there is a sale somewhere for around $30. I think I bought my last two from Buy.com for $30 each. The only people that pay full price for Live are the ones that have their credit card stored in the system and get billed automatically.
Old 11-03-09, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.

1. I meant a hard drive...not hi-def...sorry.
2. Sounds reasonable
3. That stinks, if true.
4. That stinks even more.

$50/year to play online, for Netflix and no upscaling...all of which my PS3 does for free.

So I guess I have to decide whether it would be worth picking one up just for the single player exclusives that I'm interested in (Fable 2, Ace Combat 6, Gears 1&2, Dead Rising, and Mass Effect).

Time and space are also a factor...hell, I already have a backlog.
Heh, I thought you just left off "TV" from "HD". I don't know of any game that requires a hard drive for the base game. DLC is another matter, anything of a reasonable size would probably need a hard drive.

For me personally, Live Gold is worth the price. There are also some features that aren't available to Silver members that you may or may not care about. Things like weekly discounts on DLC/XBLA games, early demo access for some games, Netflix, etc... You can usually find 13 month cards for $40, maybe less. Not sure if MS still includes a one month gold trial with the console, but if so, that would allow you to at least try it out for a while before deciding. Another option would be to get a month or 3 month card if you are going to be hitting a particular game up for a short amount of time.

I think you'd for sure enjoy L4D (and L4D2). Horde mode in Gears 2 is a blast, as is Firefight in Halo: ODST.
Old 11-03-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As of what, a week ago? Do you even have a Netflix disc yet? Are you putting the 360 on a different TV than the PS3? If not why do you need upscaling? Use the PS3.

Also as pointed out for roughly 7 years, no one, I mean no one here pays $50 for Live. Amazon and Newegg ALWAYS have them for $39.99 and usually there is a sale somewhere for around $30. I think I bought my last two from Buy.com for $30 each. The only people that pay full price for Live are the ones that have their credit card stored in the system and get billed automatically.
This and we don't get no chump-ass year for those prices. We's rollin' 13-month cards. HOLLA!
Old 11-03-09, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
All 360s upscale dvds, not just the HD-DVD add-on.
Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure it won't upscale over component (which is how I have mine hooked up). I would imagine I'm in the minority with that at this point (old 360 with no hdmi).
Old 11-03-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm still rockin' a non-HDMI component system.

Originally Posted by pinata242
This and we don't get no chump-ass year for those prices. We's rollin' 13-month cards. HOLLA!
Not anymore. All the new ones with the Avatars are only 12.
Old 11-03-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As of what, a week ago?
Yes...what's your point?

Do you even have a Netflix disc yet?
I don't even have a Netflix account, but I'm now considering one.

Are you putting the 360 on a different TV than the PS3? If not why do you need upscaling? Use the PS3.
It's one option, and it would have been a good excuse to get one "for the bedroom"...look honey it will upscale your movies!

Fair...wasn't meant as a "bash".

I'm genuinely trying to figure out whether there is added functionality over the PS3 or if I'd just be buying it for 5-6 exclusives.
Old 11-03-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm genuinely trying to figure out whether there is added functionality over the PS3 or if I'd just be buying it for 5-6 exclusives.
Over in the Borderlands thread, you're looking for PS3 players for co-op. If you had a 360, what are the chances you would have changed platforms for that game? What about future cross-platform titles where online play might be a big component?
Old 11-03-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by murray731
Heh, I thought you just left off "TV" from "HD". I don't know of any game that requires a hard drive for the base game. DLC is another matter, anything of a reasonable size would probably need a hard drive.

For me personally, Live Gold is worth the price. There are also some features that aren't available to Silver members that you may or may not care about. Things like weekly discounts on DLC/XBLA games, early demo access for some games, Netflix, etc... You can usually find 13 month cards for $40, maybe less. Not sure if MS still includes a one month gold trial with the console, but if so, that would allow you to at least try it out for a while before deciding. Another option would be to get a month or 3 month card if you are going to be hitting a particular game up for a short amount of time.

I think you'd for sure enjoy L4D (and L4D2). Horde mode in Gears 2 is a blast, as is Firefight in Halo: ODST.
Very helpful and non-patronizing answer.

Thank you!!!
Old 11-03-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't forget about 1 vs. 100.
Old 11-03-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Very helpful and non-patronizing answer.

Thank you!!!
Sorry, you come in with...

You're going to get a patronizing answer. As of right now the PS3 does not do Netflix for free, so you can't weigh it more on one console vs. the other. That's all I was getting at.
Old 11-03-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Over in the Borderlands thread, you're looking for PS3 players for co-op. If you had a 360, what are the chances you would have changed platforms for that game? What about future cross-platform titles where online play might be a big component?
Good point, and I speak from a position of ignorance about Live and how much better it is than PSN. I have no doubt it's better and is probably a service worth paying for...but for some reason, I have some kind of mental block when it comes to the idea of paying to play online. I just can't get past it.

I feel like I'm getting my fill of online gaming right now, so I'm not sure how much more capability I need. On the other hand, it would've been nice if someone on my friends list would have been on Uncharted last night!!!

To answer your question, if I were getting Borderlands, and I had a 360, I'd no doubt get it on 360. The only other things in my current library that I would have gotten on 360 are Orange Box and Fallout 3.
Old 11-03-09, 02:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Free Netflix streaming on the PS3? Great, I'll just cancel my Netflix account and turn on my PS3 as soon as I get home and enjoy it!
Old 11-03-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good point, and I speak from a position of ignorance about Live and how much better it is than PSN. I have no doubt it's better and is probably a service worth paying for...but for some reason, I have some kind of mental block when it comes to the idea of paying to play online. I just can't get past it.
I can't speak to the service being any better or worse, I was simply referring to the pool of available players.
Old 11-03-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're going to get a patronizing answer. As of right now the PS3 does not do Netflix for free, so you can't weigh it more on one console vs. the other. That's all I was getting at.
Sure I can...if I choose to. It's a pretty basic analysis of future value vs. current cost. Right now, Netflix costs me a gold membership. In the near future, it will cost me getting up and putting a disk in my PS3. In the longer future, it will cost me nothing at all. Why wouldn't I consider that?

In order to park this big white box in my bedroom, I need some functionality to sell to the significant other beyond the 5-6 games I want to play on it. I did hear that Window 7 does some cool stuff with the 360, so perhaps that's worth looking into...and might even get it moved into the living room at some point.

I could absolutely see me getting myself this thing for Xmas and it being my Summer gaming machine...just catching up on a great back catalog. I'm not trying to bash it at all...so keep your panties on.

Last edited by chess; 11-03-09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Free Netflix streaming on the PS3? Great, I'll just cancel my Netflix account and turn on my PS3 as soon as I get home and enjoy it!
Old 11-03-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't speak to the service being any better or worse, I was simply referring to the pool of available players.
Part of the reason it's a better service...and possibly worth the $.

Didn't mean to derail the thread folks. $116 for a 360 is a steal, and I think I'm in...I just have to figure out where to put the damn thing!
Old 11-03-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Another thing you could look for is the Live starter pack that comes with the 60GB hard drive and 3 months of Live. Depending on how much gaming you want to do (end up doing), it may be worth looking into.

Right now, Netflix costs me a gold membership.
That's one way to look at it, yet there are many other features that come with that $3/month cost, not just Netflix.

I could absolutely see me getting myself this thing for Xmas and it being my Summer gaming machine...just catching up on a great back catalog. I'm not trying to bash it at all...so keep your panties on.
PM sent.
Old 11-03-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thing you could look for is the Live starter pack that comes with the 60GB hard drive and 3 months of Live. Depending on how much gaming you want to do (end up doing), it may be worth looking into.
Thanks.

That's one way to look at it, yet there are many other features that come with that $3/month cost, not just Netflix.
And that's really what I was trying to measure for value.

PM sent.
Thanks...and sorry for the panties comment. Somehow I have a way of getting folks riled up...though I never mean to.
Old 11-03-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And nevermind Christmas...my birthday is Nov 6!
Old 11-03-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All good man. We look forward to kicking your ass in insert random Xbox game in the future.
Old 11-03-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You think frizby is taken?
Old 11-03-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think you can create an account on Xbox.com before you even get your console.
Old 11-03-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not trying to bash it at all...so keep your panties on.
Sounds like something you should remember the next time we have a sales update!
Old 11-03-09, 03:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Panties sent.
Old 11-03-09, 03:18 PM

Amazon also lists a refurb 20GB version of this for $49.99. 60GB is currently $89.49 and is apparently a new drive, it doesn't say otherwise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.