DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Video Game Deals Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/546513-video-game-deals-thread.html)

jdpatri 06-23-10 12:31 PM

Re: The Video Game Deals Thread

Shot down on Blur at BB this morning. Sometimes I love the way these exchanges take place. I'm trying to be nice the whole time, but it's hard sometimes.

Cashier: We can't accept both coupons.
Me: I thought since it was a manufacturer coupon it wouldn't be a problem.
...disappears to get the manager...
Manager: We can't accept both coupons.
...manager points to the part on the BB coupon that says blah blah blah not with any other offers...
Manager: They just won't work together.
Me: Doesn't Best Buy get the manufacturer coupon price back?
Manager: But they won't work together.
Me: Would it be possible to try to scan them?
Manager: No. Because they won't work.

:shrug:

pinata242 06-23-10 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jdpatri (Post 10228342)

This is bullshit. I wouldn't have accepted that as an answer because I know they're wrong (and I'm an asshole). I usually know more about the computer system there than they do because I have more experience watching it :)

chuckd21 06-23-10 12:55 PM

The $20 Blur coupon even says not to scan it.

jdpatri 06-23-10 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10228359)
This is bullshit. I wouldn't have accepted that as an answer because I know they're wrong (and I'm an asshole). I usually know more about the computer system there than they do because I have more experience watching it :)

I used to fight these things. Maybe I've just mellowed. I asked them to try to scan it twice. They refused both times claiming each time that it just wouldn't work. I just laughed, told them to keep the game and walked out. All I really want them to do is admit that they don't want to accept the manufacturer coupon at all because it hurts their immediate sales numbers... and that they'd make up any excuse not to accept it.

tlwizard 06-23-10 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdpatri (Post 10228342)
Shot down on Blur at BB this morning. Sometimes I love the way these exchanges take place. I'm trying to be nice the whole time, but it's hard sometimes.

Cashier: We can't accept both coupons.
...disappears to get the manager...
Manager: We can't accept both coupons.
...manager points to the part on the BB coupon that says blah blah blah not with any other offers...
Manager: They just won't work together.
Me: Doesn't Best Buy get the manufacturer coupon price back?
Manager: But they won't work together.

That's when you say "look, I worked at Best Buy when I was in high school. Do you want me to show you how to do it? All you have to do is ring it up, scan the first coupon, then hit f7 to scan the next. enter in the amount. f7 again. you're done."

But the truth is, he knew it would work or else he would have tried and shown you it didn't. It does seem silly though since they recoup that cost from the manufacturer.

jdpatri 06-23-10 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard (Post 10228415)
That's when you say "look, I worked at Best Buy when I was in high school. Do you want me to show you how to do it? All you have to do is ring it up, scan the first coupon, then hit f7 to scan the next. enter in the amount. f7 again. you're done."

But the truth is, he knew it would work or else he would have tried and shown you it didn't. It does seem silly though since they recoup that cost from the manufacturer.

:lol:

It was very odd. I felt like they'd had to fight off a few other people trying to do the same thing because the second I questioned the cashier, she ran off to the manager. I was even going to go through the steps with her as you mentioned. Then the manager arrived already slightly confrontational... and I wasn't going to push it. I knew she wasn't going to listen to anything I had to say.

The problem with manu coupons is that even though they recoup the cost, they don't get that money for a long time -- especially if coupon use becomes widespread. My dad runs a chain of stores and complains about this regularly. But own up.

nickdawgy 06-23-10 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jdpatri (Post 10228428)

It was very odd. I felt like they'd had to fight off a few other people trying to do the same thing because the second I questioned the cashier, she ran off to the manager. I was even going to go through the steps with her as you mentioned. Then the manager arrived already slightly confrontational... and I wasn't going to push it. I knew she wasn't going to listen to anything I had to say.

The problem with manu coupons is that even though they recoup the cost, they don't get that money for a long time -- especially if coupon use becomes widespread. My dad runs a chain of stores and complains about this regularly. But own up.

Did the manager have the "shaking head" syndrome? I hate it when you ask a question and they start shaking their head even before you finish the question. It's even worse if they have a smirk while doing it.

tlwizard 06-23-10 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jdpatri (Post 10228428)

So then why do stores act dumb when people say they don't like rebates? Seems like they're more than willing to dish it out, they just don't want to be treated like how they treat their customers.

And at least they're getting money unlike the Fairytale Fights thing when they were essentially just handing out free copies of the game.

starseed1981 06-23-10 04:06 PM

If anyone could PM me a copy of the Blur code I'd be greatly appreciative. The Xerox printers at work are acting a little wonky.

TGM 06-23-10 04:19 PM

just snagged it for $11.26 out the door at the Natick, MA Best Buy

starseed1981 06-24-10 08:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the Blur deal everyone. Snagged it for $12.26 out the door at the Downers Grove (south), IL Best Buy

DJ_Longfellow 06-24-10 08:40 AM

My BB was sold out of Blur, time to try another one.

JB7 06-24-10 10:35 AM

1-year of Xbox Live $29.99

http://deals.ebay.com/5000015280_Xbo...cription_Cards

Obi-Wanma 06-24-10 12:21 PM

I had absolutely no problems using both Blur coupons at Best Buy. 11.79 out the door. I even sort of set myself up for failure by asking the cashier "I can't get away with using both of these together, can I?", but she looked at the coupons for about 2 seconds before the girl at the next register came over and was like, "Yeah, no problem, I actually had someone do the same thing earlier", and she showed the girl at my register how to do it. I was kinda nervous about it, since both coupons basically say they can't be combined with other offers, but it was no hassle at all.

Eelkram 06-24-10 02:02 PM

Huge sale on steam going on right now. Daily deals from today through july 4th. There are massive savings on whole collections as well. For example, CoD collection for $29.99, excludes COD3 and modern warfare 2. Today's notable is bioshock2 for $15.

Decker 06-24-10 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eelkram (Post 10230595)
Huge sale on steam going on right now. Daily deals from today through july 4th. There are massive savings on whole collections as well. For example, CoD collection for $29.99, excludes COD3 and modern warfare 2. Today's notable is bioshock2 for $15.

Fucking Steam. Why don't you just garnish my wages? That would be an easier way to keep taking all my money. Overlord + Overlord Raising Hell + Overlord 2 for $4.50? You've gotta be kidding me!

Eelkram 06-24-10 02:21 PM

I feel your pain! I'm still playing through bioshock 1, I have to buy 2 at that price now.

Rob V 06-24-10 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 10230380)
I had absolutely no problems using both Blur coupons at Best Buy. 11.79 out the door. I even sort of set myself up for failure by asking the cashier "I can't get away with using both of these together, can I?", but she looked at the coupons for about 2 seconds before the girl at the next register came over and was like, "Yeah, no problem, I actually had someone do the same thing earlier", and she showed the girl at my register how to do it. I was kinda nervous about it, since both coupons basically say they can't be combined with other offers, but it was no hassle at all.

Mind if I ask which BB in the metro area you went to?

Obi-Wanma 06-24-10 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 10230717)
Mind if I ask which BB in the metro area you went to?

Auburn Hills location. Brown Road, near Great Lakes Crossing.

Rob V 06-25-10 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 10230766)
Auburn Hills location. Brown Road, near Great Lakes Crossing.

Thanks. I'm on the other side of town (Canton) so I'd wipeout any Blur savings by spending $20 in gas going to Great Lakes Crossing :)

TGM 06-25-10 07:56 AM

anyone else having annoying issues connecting to the Blur servers on PS3? every other games works just fine for me.

david12 06-25-10 08:00 AM

Is there any way to get the gamers reward Blur coupon without being a gamers reward member? I'm a gold level (sound right?) rewards member...if that helps at all.

Michael Corvin 06-25-10 08:10 AM

The coupon is posted on CAG. No need to be part of the gamer rewards.

Obi-Wanma 06-25-10 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by david12 (Post 10231657)
Is there any way to get the gamers reward Blur coupon without being a gamers reward member? I'm a gold level (sound right?) rewards member...if that helps at all.

Why would you not want to be a gamer rewards member? It's free, you sign up for right on the BB RZ website, and when you're a member, you can earn rewards faster when you buy games.

Obi-Wanma 06-25-10 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 10231638)
Thanks. I'm on the other side of town (Canton) so I'd wipeout any Blur savings by spending $20 in gas going to Great Lakes Crossing :)

I don't really live near Auburn Hills either, but I work there, so that's the easiest one for me to hit on my lunch break.