DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Video Game Deals Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/546513-video-game-deals-thread.html)

tlwizard 08-15-09 05:03 PM

Re: The Video Game Deals Thread

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 9641707)
Not sure if this should go here or in the XBLA thread, but there's a decent deal going on with arcade titles purchased from Amazon. They're running that promotion where you get a $5 MP3 Store credit with every purchase. Since I already spend about $20/month on their MP3s, I ordered four XBLA games to get $20 in credit. I never received any emails with my promo codes though, so I called customer service. The rep says the system isn't set up to automatically generate promo codes for XBLA games, but that they do qualify, so they're just giving people the appropriate amount of store credit instead. Since their system isn't working automatically, you have to call and deal with customer service, but you basically get $5 back for each XBLA title you buy.

Hmmmm... so theoretically, you could order a $5 title and then get $5 back. And then apply that $5 credit to another $5 game.

TGM 08-15-09 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard (Post 9646747)
Hmmmm... so theoretically, you could order a $5 title and then get $5 back. And then apply that $5 credit to another $5 game.

no, it's $5 in credit towards MP3 songs.

tlwizard 08-15-09 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 9646754)
no, it's $5 in credit towards MP3 songs.

I read maxfisher's post as saying that he got general store credit back because the XBLA games aren't set up properly to trigger the MP3 credit.

Kory 08-16-09 12:11 PM

Tiger Woods 2010 for Wii (without MotionPlus) is $29.99 on Amazon.com right now. Think it's today only.

maxfisher 08-16-09 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard (Post 9646778)
I read maxfisher's post as saying that he got general store credit back because the XBLA games aren't set up properly to trigger the MP3 credit.

That's correct. I bought Peggle, The Maw, Puzzle Quest and Worms. No MP3 credits showed up in my account, so I called customer service. The rep told me about the problem with XBLA games and explained that they do still qualify, then put a $20 Amazon credit in my account. I used it towards a preorder of MUA2.

Decker 08-17-09 12:02 AM

I couldn't get the credit to work more than once. Got $5 for the PS3 triggers I bought, but not for three copies of Rock Band 2 I purchased on behalf of my office employees. I had to call twice and get transferred a couple of times. Eventually they just gave me a $25 credit I used with the ECA to get the next R & C game for $26. Nice, but still I wonder why this promotion is having such a hard time being implemented. XBLA downloads are one thing, freaking RB2 bundles are something else.

Quake1028 08-17-09 07:06 AM

Did you buy all of that stuff on the same order?

Decker 08-17-09 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028 (Post 9649192)
Did you buy all of that stuff on the same order?

Nope. Four separate orders.

DJ_Longfellow 08-17-09 09:53 AM

How does the ECA work? I work for the government and have a .mil e-mail, but I do NOT want to get e-mail from ECA to my work account. Can I change my e-mail or request to send to an alternate?

Michael Corvin 08-18-09 07:06 AM

The Guitar Hero 5 offer is back up on Amazon
Xbox 360 | Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii

Buy Guitar Hero 5 and get:
- Guitar Hero: Van Halen (free by mail)
- $10 off future game purchase credit
- $5 MP3 credit towards MP3 purchases
- Release date shipping available

$53.99 after ECA discount

Imprint 08-18-09 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9651725)

Thanks for the heads-up. I was disappointed I missed this deal the first time (with the $10 credit). I was going to wait for both GH5 and GH: VH to hit $25, but this accomplishes that day one.

PerryD 08-18-09 03:12 PM

Too bad it's not Smash Hits for free, I'd jump on that. I really am not interested in Van Halen.

pinata242 08-18-09 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9653109)
Too bad it's not Smash Hits for free, I'd jump on that. I really am not interested in Van Halen.

:up: Especially with the exportability.

mgbfan 08-18-09 03:16 PM

I've never gotten into the Guitar Hero, but this is tempting, with Muse's Plug-in Baby on there. I'm tempted to give it a go just to "play" that riff.

chuckd21 08-18-09 03:24 PM

If you've yet to pull the trigger on Rock Band, this is a helluva deal:

https://www.rockband79.com/

For $79*, you will receive:
• Rock Band Special Edition Bundle for Xbox 360 or PS3 which includes the original game, plus a microphone, guitar and drum peripherals
• Rock Band 2, the game, for Xbox 360 or PS3
• Plus you receive the Rock Band AC/DC Track Pack as an added bonus…a $40 value, free!

jdpatri 08-18-09 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9651725)

That deal is just too difficult to pass up. I dislike the GH platform, but Van Halen should be worth it. I hope anyway.

Michael Corvin 08-18-09 03:33 PM

Is that site legit? I don't need it, just curious.

pinata242 08-18-09 03:36 PM

Yeah, it was announced by HarmonixSean via Twitter and it replaces http://www.rockband99.com from a few weeks ago.

Drexl 08-18-09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 9653154)
If you've yet to pull the trigger on Rock Band, this is a helluva deal:

https://www.rockband79.com/

For $79*, you will receive:
• Rock Band Special Edition Bundle for Xbox 360 or PS3 which includes the original game, plus a microphone, guitar and drum peripherals
• Rock Band 2, the game, for Xbox 360 or PS3
• Plus you receive the Rock Band AC/DC Track Pack as an added bonus…a $40 value, free!

How do those compare to the RB2 instruments? I just have a Nyko guitar and the first game right now, but I was thinking about getting a new guitar and a drum set.

glassdragon 08-18-09 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9653236)
How do those compare to the RB2 instruments? I just have a Nyko guitar and the first game right now, but I was thinking about getting a new guitar and a drum set.

The drums are quieter, the kick pedal has metal on top and doesn't slip as much. The guitar isn't a whole lot better, but from what I hear it has less of a chance to be broken when you take it out of the box. The mic is the same pretty much.

Oh, and the drums are wireless on RB2, it is wired on RB1

so for 20 bucks you would honestly be better off getting a RB2 set. Sure you won't get RB1 or the track packs, but the wireless is nice on the drums

Decker 08-18-09 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 9653442)
The drums are quieter, the kick pedal has metal on top and doesn't slip as much. The guitar isn't a whole lot better, but from what I hear it has less of a chance to be broken when you take it out of the box. The mic is the same pretty much.

Oh, and the drums are wireless on RB2, it is wired on RB1

so for 20 bucks you would honestly be better off getting a RB2 set. Sure you won't get RB1 or the track packs, but the wireless is nice on the drums

I agree. The RB2 instruments are much better. You forgot to mention that the RB2 drums are velocity-sensitive and the guitar is wireless and has automatic video calibration.

pinata242 08-18-09 07:13 PM

And the RB2 drums have the expansion ports for cymbals.

AND the RB2 guitar has the socket for the foot pedal to engage overdrive with a stomp, if I'm not mistaken.

Drexl 08-18-09 07:15 PM

I didn't realize the guitar wasn't even wireless. I'll just get the RB2 bundle.

Quake1028 09-01-09 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028 (Post 9638178)
I went ahead and got in on the Madden/SI deal. Couldn't resist for $15 off retail price, plus some mags to read.

Just got my game today. Anyone else still waiting?

jdpatri 09-01-09 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9653906)

AND the RB2 guitar has the socket for the foot pedal to engage overdrive with a stomp, if I'm not mistaken.

OMG. Really? If this is true, you just made my week. I'll have to try this out tonight. Where's the plug for the foot pedal?